PDA

View Full Version : using enamel on hilt?

Darth Ultionis
09-20-2007, 05:29 PM
Hey guys, I'm having a hard time finding plasti dip for the ribbed extension of my hilt that i expect to be arriving any day now. I want it black. Has anyone tried using enamel instead? If so, how does it come out? Does it chip? and what brand did you use? Thanks. I don't want to send away for plasti dip and pay double just to have it shipped here. Wouldnt it be great if they sold it in the store??!!!
Thanks

Jonitus
09-20-2007, 06:29 PM
Hey guys, I'm having a hard time finding plasti dip for the ribbed extension of my hilt that i expect to be arriving any day now. I want it black. Has anyone tried using enamel instead? If so, how does it come out? Does it chip? and what brand did you use? Thanks. I don't want to send away for plasti dip and pay double just to have it shipped here. Wouldnt it be great if they sold it in the store??!!!
Thanks

I use appliance epoxy paint. It takes a long time to dry, but once it does, it's extremely durable. You can find it in hardware stores. Not much in the way of color - black, white, off-white, but the stuff works great.

ArkaiHalon
09-20-2007, 06:29 PM
I hadn't thought about plasti dip. wouldn't that change its size considerably?
I've read several posts of folks using model paint satisfactorily.

I'm thinking about trying either Aluminum Black, or maybe even gun blueing.
Any thoughts?

Darth Ultionis
09-20-2007, 07:29 PM
what does the epoxy paint feel like? rubber like or metal like?

Jonitus
09-20-2007, 07:58 PM
what does the epoxy paint feel like? rubber like or metal like?

Metal. Very shiny, very smooth metal.

987654321a
09-20-2007, 08:28 PM
I used testors enamel in the ridges on my ancient lightsaber which they all got painted over, but anyways it has not chipped. Similar to epoxy paint it takes a long time to dry but when dry its harder than a rock.

Darth Ultionis
09-20-2007, 09:40 PM
jonitus, sounds awesome. Can you recall the brand so I know that I'm picking up one i know will work?

Jonitus
09-21-2007, 06:58 AM
jonitus, sounds awesome. Can you recall the brand so I know that I'm picking up one i know will work?

Rustoleum. White can with a bunch of green on it and pictures of kitchen appliances on the front.

Takes a LONG time to dry, so be patient. Also prone to runs and drips, so multiple thin coats is preferable to heavy coats. Be sure to thoroughly clean the parts before you paint with something like isopropyl alcohol.

Darth Ultionis
09-21-2007, 07:12 AM
great. Thanks a lot.

Bescherman
09-21-2007, 06:53 PM

Rustoleum. White can with a bunch of green on it and pictures of kitchen appliances on the front.

Takes a LONG time to dry, so be patient. Also prone to runs and drips, so multiple thin coats is preferable to heavy coats. Be sure to thoroughly clean the parts before you paint with something like isopropyl alcohol.

How long is long (just to get an idea of scale!)? Hours, days, weeks?

I have a tendancy to get excited and try to rush such things. I need to take a more Zen approach!

Jonitus
09-21-2007, 07:38 PM
Dry to the touch in 24 hours, fully dry in one week.

Darth Ultionis
09-21-2007, 07:54 PM

WHHHAAATT? Do you understand UPS screwed up my order and I'm waiting long enough for this saber!?!!??! Today I got home from work and saw a box on the porch. I ran out of my car up to it only to discover that it was the worst thing it could possibly be.... Not my saber but the parts for my brother's broken xbox 360!!! I won't be able to fight with my saber for a week after applying this stuff??!!

Bescherman
09-22-2007, 04:04 AM

Crumbs! Ok, thanks for that. Useful to know (even though I'm no where near building a hilt just yet!)

Jeb Ardunis
09-22-2007, 05:29 AM
Patience... Just think... Is a week's extra wait worth the countless hours of satisfaction and enjoyment you'll get out of the saber? I'd sure hope so, cause I know it would be for me. ;)

Luke-SkyMarcher
10-05-2007, 01:14 PM
A word on plasti-dip for anyone out there looking at it: don't use it. I've had very bad experiences with the stuff, always peeling (unless you put on so much that it deforms what you're painting) I have since switched to truck bed liner, thanks to the advice of a master on these boards.