PDA

View Full Version : Countdowns Molds in progress.

987654321a
09-18-2007, 03:44 PM
Well, I decided to go for a storm trooper helmet only for now, then get the armor later. But Instead of just buying some old helmet off ebay. I am making my own out of fiberglass. Yes FIBERGLASS. I am so far making a small clay model of the helmet itself so i can actually see the end results in a shorter amount of time. But anyways I will post progress pictures of everything i do just for you firebird!

Standby for clay model helmet pics.

987654321a
09-19-2007, 03:21 PM
Update. So i just finished the clay model of the helmet. I know you will mostly laugh at the items i used. but here goes. I used tissue paper in place of fiberglass just for fun, Turns out it doesnt support itself... hahaha. I even laughed when i saw the result. But anyways now that this went off without a hitch, the bigger helmet will also be made out of clay it will use fiberglass this time. Here is what I am going to do step by step. BTW im pretty good at sculpting stuff outa clay so go easy on me... Before anyone jumps to a hasty conclusion, please know that i have used fiberglass for alot of projects and its a wonderful material. I take all safety precautions and this is just a new method instead of having to spend hundreds of dollars for a vacum forming table which takes up all my space.

Step 1: Get supplies (6 lbs of clay, Fiberglass mat, and one of those beauty heads that they do work on in salons)

Step 2: Form clay around secured head.

Step 3: Shape Clay into stormtrooper helmet

Step 4: Brush on 20 layers of latex (For rigidity)

Step 5: After Latex has been given time to dry (24-36 hours), Apply resin and fiberglass mat. Possibly 6-8 layers.

Step 6: Remove clay, and latex from the fiberglass helmet.

Step 7: Cut off sharp edges

Step 8: Paint and Details

Step 9: Armor

Step 10: Finished and i can say that i made my helmet!

BTW for everyone here, If you do attempt to use fiberglass, resin, latex, or any kind of formula here is a warning:

WEAR EYE PROTECTION! ON TOP OF THAT WEAR A MASK TO PROTECT YOUR LUNGS, NO MATTER WHAT CHEMICAL YOU ARE USING, WEAR LATEX GLOVES (RESIN IS STICKY, SKIN NO LIKEY!). THE ONLY REASON YOU HAVE TO WEAR EYE PROTECTION FOR CHEMICALS IS BECAUSE THEY IRITATE YOUR EYES AND YOU CAN GO BLIND, AND ALSO THEY CAN GET IN YOUR EYE. EYE PROTECTION IS NOT ONLY FOR CHEMICALS BUT ALSO FOR FIBERGLASS. REMEMBER FIBERGLASS IS MILLIONS OF TINY GLASS SHARDS, YOU DONT WANT THAT IN YOUR LUNGS NOR YOUR EYES, NOR YOUR HANDS. BE SAFE, WEAR PROTECTION!

Jetsi
09-19-2007, 03:54 PM
Ambitious project, I can't wait to see the results.

987654321a
09-19-2007, 04:18 PM
I am changing the layers of fiberglass from 6-8 to just 3-5

Hasid Lafre
09-20-2007, 06:38 AM
I dont know iam getting this number that wont leave my head, I would go with 4.5 layers.

Dont forget that your gonna have to sand and shape some areas. make sure the inside is compleatly smooth. you can hide mistakes on the outside with a touch of sanding.

987654321a
09-20-2007, 05:40 PM
Well im not really sure about how many layers i use, it depends on the thickness of the fiberglass mat.

Hasid Lafre
09-21-2007, 12:45 AM
All the fiberglass mat ive seen is the same thickness.

goldsaberwarrior
09-21-2007, 11:34 AM
Are you trying to sneek into the stormtroopers only cantina again? Don't forget how they threw you out last time. lol :lol:

987654321a
09-21-2007, 03:49 PM
Hasid, They do not come in the same thickness. They have different thicknesses but i would use the thinnest one i can get just so i can have like 5 layers of fiberglass without having to worry about the details becoming bland.

Hasid Lafre
09-21-2007, 04:06 PM
Well I was just saying that the only ones ive seen were in the same thickness.

Quite frankly I dont know much about fiberglass enought to care really, was just stating what I have seen.

987654321a
09-21-2007, 04:10 PM
yea. I know man, im just informing you about that, just in case you decide to make something out of fiberglass.

Novastar
09-22-2007, 04:36 AM
Dang, I wish I caught this sooner, as Charles Jeske (was in both BOP I and II) made several ST helms out of a mold he made of his own. They were VERY excellent, and you could see one of them in BOP II (the others were not used).

I guess if anyone is interested... PM me!

I don't come to the costuming threads often... maybe I should!!!

Firebird21
09-22-2007, 07:28 AM
You should use 6 layers. The total thickness of the fiberglass should be about 1/8th" thick with 50-50 Resin/Fiberglass.

If you're worried about it affecting the details then you should be applying the new layers to the inside.

And a word of warning about Fiberglass Resin to anyone who attempts to use it. Just an addition to what countdown said. The Resin will give you chemical burns if you get it on your skin, so be sure to avoid any contact to unhardened Resin.

987654321a
09-22-2007, 10:39 PM
Yea i might even go with 7 layers for added durability because the thin fiberglass im getting wont deter the details too much.

987654321a
09-24-2007, 10:09 PM
Alright so the mini stormtrooper helmet went nicely without a hitch so ill be moving on to the bigger stuff. First i need to save up some money for this stuff. with halo 3 being officially release at 12 am tonight pacific time, the lid will be delayed for a couple weeks.

tazrob
10-02-2007, 10:51 AM
If you plan to wear the helmet make sure you give yourself room on the inside as well. Gets hot in the helmets. Some people complain about the size of an FX helmet but I am glad it is the size it is I can fit all my fans and my amp in it.

987654321a
11-06-2007, 06:34 PM
So I decided to start off with a sub-zero mask from mortal kombat II. Anyways I have sculpted it out of clay so far and Im getting ready to mold it. Ill have pictures up later.

Novastar
11-07-2007, 01:35 AM
If you want me to talk to Charles about the awesome ST masks he made... I'm sure he'd be happy to sell one to you, Countdown.

Charles did an EXCEPTIONAL job on his entire suit... not just the mask, suffice it to say.

Ghostbat
11-07-2007, 11:14 AM
And a word of warning about Fiberglass Resin to anyone who attempts to use it. Just an addition to what countdown said. The Resin will give you chemical burns if you get it on your skin, so be sure to avoid any contact to unhardened Resin.

Also the glass fibers coming off the fabric are pretty unpleasant too. An amazing world of itch! Cover up well!

987654321a
11-07-2007, 05:16 PM
Novastar, do you have any pictures of them?

Obi-Dar Ke-Gnomie
11-07-2007, 11:06 PM
Also the glass fibers coming off the fabric are pretty unpleasant too. An amazing world of itch! Cover up well!

I know that itch well. I used to work in a boat dealership, crawling around in new boats, making sure everything was hooked up and ready to go.

The key is to take cold showers so that your pores close up and don't let the glass particles get right into your skin. Not very nice.

SithDuelist45
05-11-2010, 07:59 PM

So does that mean i will need to wear a balclava and eye protection every time i wear the helmet/mask??? i am making a Darth Nihilus mask, but since finding this thread, i have reconsidered making my Sith Helmet.

Lord Maul
05-11-2010, 09:19 PM
No, you just shouldn't touch unhardened fiberglass. When it is cured you are good to go.

Jedi-Loreen
05-11-2010, 10:23 PM
Well, you should still have your face covered anyway, for that costume. ;)

SithDuelist45
05-12-2010, 02:51 AM
Well, you should still have your face covered anyway, for that costume. ;)

lol yeah i know, i just wanted to make sure it was safe after it sets up lol...