PDA

View Full Version : 1st Hilt Construction

vultureug
09-18-2007, 03:28 PM
Hi! I'm new here. My housemate's friend had a MR FX saber that he upgraded and my housemate was raving about it so much I had to go look it up myself. Soon enough, I found this website (amongst others) and forum and decided to take the plunge into designing and constructing my first LED lightsaber. I did read up on this as much as possible, but I'm still at a loss of how to get from here to a finished saber. I've designed a hilt, now besides some online machine shops (i.e. emachineshop.com), who would be able to provide some sort of machining service?

supertrogdor
09-18-2007, 03:42 PM
this is the Custom Saber shop for a reason, Tim a.k.a. Strydur runs this store, and the forum attatched to it. You should ask him about any custom work you want done. Shoot him a pm, and as long as he is not out of town he will get back to you quickly. You might also remember that is is rude to ask about where to get machining done elsewhere when the store owner does that sort of thing. Roughly akin to asking the lowe's people if that have that same part over at home depot.

vultureug
09-18-2007, 03:56 PM
I didn't realize he did machine work, pardon my ignorance. :oops:

Jay-gon Jinn
09-18-2007, 09:02 PM
most people who find the forum through an internet search won't necessarily find the store this forum belongs too, so it's a common error.

Novastar
09-19-2007, 12:34 AM
I always wondered about that... Tim DOES have links to the store, via clicking on the TCSS logo in the upper left corner...

Although, hey, I guess he could put a message "Click on logo to purchase saber building materials!" or whatever... but overall... I think 90% of those who post... uh--know about the shop. :)

GFORCE13
09-19-2007, 02:48 AM
Well me personally I was buying from the shop well before the Forums existed, but personally the giant big font black "Enter the Custom Saber Shop" is pretty hard to miss. On the bright side I was telling an Ace Hardware Employee about the CSS while picking up supplies for my many Home Repair Projects, he seemed really interested in LightSaber Construction so who knows. 8)

vultureug
09-19-2007, 05:01 AM
Well, I knew he had materials but I didn't know about machining custom parts for individuals. I thought he just did the MHS and sold LEDs and the like.

Barmic Rin
09-19-2007, 05:22 AM
Well, i'm sure he can do a fair amount of custom stuff dependant on how busy he is/ price etc.

Why not see if you can make it out of MHS parts if possible to cut down on the expense? Then if you need just one bit done custom, i'm sure it'd be better for you too time/ pricewise too!

He'd probably still be quicker than Randomsabers & co who make it totally from scratch.
Plus, it's more satisfying if you assemble it yourself! :D

Hasid Lafre
09-19-2007, 05:36 AM
Random isent taking anymore orders for a long-o-time-o.

vultureug
09-19-2007, 06:35 AM
Well, here's my design (extremely rough drawing... was originally to scale but then started to get lazy).

http://img143.imageshack.us/img143/5818/img0002qe2.jpg

As far as I have seen, I haven't seen angled grooves or even know if they are possible without being really pricey (haven't got a quote back from Tim, and doesn't look like I'll get one for a few days), and I haven't seen diamond knurling unless the tube was taken from a maglite or something, again not knowing if it's pricey as hell or not. If it is too high, I'll have to cut back my design to fit my budget more.

Personally, I want to do it myself but i have neither the means nor the time.

Angelus Lupus
09-19-2007, 06:41 AM
the giant big font black "Enter the Custom Saber Shop" is pretty hard to miss.
Actually, I've managed to miss seeing that before. I was wondering if an animated banner ad would be a better way of grabing new peoples attention

Jay-gon Jinn
09-19-2007, 07:10 AM
I can tell you from experience that knurling is expensive because of the time involved to get it right. It is by it's nature a slow process.

vultureug
09-19-2007, 11:04 PM
Well, that's kind of a bummer. I wanted a textured feel to the grip. What about something like Rustoleum textured spray paint?

GFORCE13
09-20-2007, 12:13 AM
Yeah knuling is an involved process we used to do it at my last job, the big setback is the Lathe. I have used the Textured Rustoleum for my pommels it gives it the right look but I don't know if it will give you the feel you are looking for.

ArkaiHalon
09-20-2007, 06:47 AM
What about something like Rustoleum textured spray paint?

I've used that on PVC overlays. gives a pretty good grip, but not like knurling or grooves would. IF you go that rought, just remember to use several coats of both paint and clearcoat.

TheCheeker
09-20-2007, 10:05 PM
the giant big font black "Enter the Custom Saber Shop" is pretty hard to miss.

:oops: wow.... i never realized that was a link... i just thought it was a title... i mean it makes sense.... click here to enter the custom saber shop. lol i never really thought about it. Its location is in a standard title location. i've clicked in the upper left corner on the TCSS logo thinking it'd take me to the shop but it never occurred to me to that those words could possibly be a link. haha sheesh...... :oops:

drakeion2
10-18-2007, 09:00 AM
thanks guy for all the detail in all your post that help me decide how to do mine i actualy did a prety fair job for mine ill post the picture on a new topic cause i dont now wer to put the button