PDA

View Full Version : LED custom light up effect?

orgymeyer
01-27-2006, 06:46 AM
I was just wondering one thing, it might sound dumb, but do the luxon mod FX sabers still light up like they do in the movies, like a igniting effect?

I figure they don't, but just thought I'd ask... I'd love to see what one looks like when it does light up, as this was the major appeal for the FX sabers for me. But now I've broken out several of my LED's from duels and even cracked my ESB Luke's blade (some clear packing tape holds it together now), and so I'm considering just taking it apart and re-soldering the LED's and replacing where necessary.

I actually do have my own Luxon stars that I bought back in 2002 when I first heard about this sort of thing on ASAP Dewback wing, but wonder about the light up effects that may have advanced since I last read about LED saber blades.

Any advice? I'm strongly considering a new blade casing, the FX ones are too brittle for my needs. And I really love the light up effect and the sounds of the FX, perhaps a beefed up blade and redundant soldering would make it better?

GrimaOllak
01-27-2006, 07:34 AM
I assume you're talking about the light extending and retracting into the blade? If so, Corbin makes a driver (that's also sold right here on CSS) that ramps up the power on startup and ramps it down on shutdown to simulate those effects. It's not cheap ($40), but it seems to do the job for the folks that want more "authentic" effects on their sabers.

Go check out the driver in the LED electronics section of this site. Or, of course, Tim or Corbin can tell you more.

(This is all based upon my observations of other people's sabers. I, personally, don't have one of Corbin's drivers.)

orgymeyer
01-27-2006, 07:52 AM
Sweet! I always thought something like that might be possible, with a dimmer switch sort of mechanism perhaps....

I wonder if anyone has a good video of this in function? I'd assume it might look a bit odd with the mirror at the top of the blade, but if the effect was good enough, it would definately redeem the LED Luxon blades for me.

Cyambin
01-27-2006, 10:29 AM
There was one video of this but it was on a thread about a black lightsaber and it was in negative. Really cool but unfortunately I think that thread was deleted. And I'm not sure whether there was a mirror in the tip but it didn't look odd. It looked like a plasma saber but faster.

Nightwing
02-02-2006, 02:04 PM
So can anyone make a ramp-up effect movie for us? Strydur, maybe?

UltraSWG
02-07-2006, 01:11 AM
Again, the extend/retract only works with corbin's blade film. If you use a standard diffuser, like the one in an MR blade, it will just fade on and fade off, it won't grow/retract. Already tried it.

http://www.ultrasabers.com
Corbin|Strydur|Ultra
The Holy Luxeon Trinity

Nightwing
02-07-2006, 01:27 PM
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Originally posted by UltraSWG

Again, the extend/retract only works with corbin's blade film. If you use a standard diffuser, like the one in an MR blade, it will just fade on and fade off, it won't grow/retract. Already tried it.

http://www.ultrasabers.com
Corbin|Strydur|Ultra
The Holy Luxeon Trinity
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">Crud...
Oh well.