PDA

View Full Version : Using a power drill to make a lathe

traydemark
09-16-2007, 06:37 PM
I've been researching ways to find out how to fully create custom hilts and therefore, have been looking into tools. I found an article reviewing a tool that converts your power drill into a mini lathe. I have the least bit of experience when it comes to working with lathes so I don't know if this will suffice for any of our saber building needs.

Click here for article (http://toolmonger.com/2007/05/10/hands-on-the-adjustable-clamp-cos-mini-wood-lathe/)

The reviewer uses this to turn wood. I don't know how soft aluminum is or if it's even comparable to wood so I can't say if this will work or not. Hopefully, some of our expert machinists can shed some light. If it does, I think it would be a giant step for hilt designing.

Lord Maul
09-16-2007, 06:39 PM
There's no way a drill would have enough power to turn aluminum. Wood, yes.

Hasid Lafre
09-16-2007, 06:40 PM
I would use a die grinder instead. Maybe a DA.

traydemark
09-16-2007, 07:11 PM
I would use a die grinder instead. Maybe a DA.

What's a DA?

Maybe I'm underestimating how tough aluminum is. How much torque is needed to turn aluminum?

xwingband
09-16-2007, 07:46 PM
It's not the metal... it's the stress the machine would have to take. That's the main difference between a metal and wood lathe.

I've heard off dremels as cheap mills... so who knows.

Hasid Lafre
09-16-2007, 10:46 PM
A DA is a power tool for body work sanding and such.

traydemark
09-16-2007, 11:04 PM
Hmm... I don't know if I'd be willing to try it.

As far as the stress on the drill, I'm assuming it's the amount of force interrupting the drill... right?

neophyl
09-17-2007, 12:25 AM
Theres several problems using a drill for metal. Theres first of all the motor torque, as in there isnt that much of it. While aluminium is soft for a metal its considerably more work than wood.

Then theres the problem of actually gripping the material. When you cut into the material you exert lateral forces, drills arent designed to take that sort of stress on the bearings. You also have to remember that you are spinning a lump of metal at speed, you need really good grip on it as if it comes loose its VERY dangerous. You will notice that wood lathes generally just have a rest for the tool witht he tool being moved by hand, while metal lathes are geared using screws etc. Thats not just for precisions sake. Its also down to the fact that the tools bite into metal more with a corresponding increase in that sideways pressure. Even with a proper setup you have to be careful not to try and take too much off at once or accidents can happen.

While you probably can use a drill you wont if you value your fingers, eyes, other bits.

traydemark
09-17-2007, 12:33 AM
Ah... I see! Thank you for the advice.

I guess I'll have to find a better source for a lathe.

Back to the drawing board!

Novastar
09-17-2007, 03:12 AM
Yup. Never use a blaster when an LED saber is the right tool for the job... ;)