PDA

View Full Version : Jetsi's first step from Padawan to Master

Jetsi
09-10-2007, 07:58 PM
YEAH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Got my parts from TCSS today, and am really excited.

A short laundry list of what I ordered:

Luxeon V Star - Royal Blue, BuckPuck 700mA, Battle blade, blade holder style 7, Quick change LED kit, MHS ribbed extension, hilt style 4, Pommel style 4, and various other stuff.

Currently it will have no sound, but as I work on the sink pipe I plan on integrating some kind of sound device.

So here is everything out of the box. Not pictured is the battery charger and battery.

http://i165.photobucket.com/albums/u49/jetsi/DSC07277.jpg

Just to see how I envisioned it looking, here it is all assembled with the o-rings in place.

http://i165.photobucket.com/albums/u49/jetsi/DSC07280.jpg

Being as this is my first saber attempt, I have already run into "problems". My goal was to run a sink tube over the entire assembly, but as far as the o-rings protrude, I have one of two choices.

I can score the sink tube lengthwise, allowing it to expand to fit over the o-rings. The problem with that is that there will then be a gap between the sink tube and MHS parts. Could it look cool? I think so. Would it tear the smithereens out of my hands when spinning and dueling? I am 99% sure it would. So I am torn between having a functional saber or a pretty decoration.

The other choice is to find 0-rings with a very small diameter and try them on the hilt, or paint them on. And with painting, I don't want to appear to be a copy cat of others. Decisions, decisions.

So once I get that figured out, I plan on changing over to a different switch and placing it like I discussed in an earlier thread. Otherwise, this will be a learning experience as I now actually have the pieces in my hand and can work on it.

Look forward to constant updates.

GFORCE13
09-10-2007, 11:44 PM
Cool Jetsi " You have now taken your first step in to a Larger World" 8)

ArkaiHalon
09-11-2007, 05:37 AM
very nice, very nice.

Word of advice on the puck. Don't hook your switch to the "control wires".
just run it line with the power leads like a normal resistor. Reading some of the posts on the puck, as well as a very fun incident last night, hooking the switch to the control wires might result in a flickering blade when turned off.

Barmic Rin
09-11-2007, 06:35 AM
Why not run the o-ring over the sink tube?
That would solve that problem.

As for sound, i'd go for Erv's board, that way you don't have to worry about the puck.

Jetsi
09-11-2007, 08:02 AM
I want to add sound, but unfortunately I wasn't able to order the $80 board (can't think of the name ATM), and the Crystal Focus is a little outside of my price range ATM, although I am sure it is amazing.

Play it by ear and see what happens. I am sure there will be several incarnations of this saber as I get it put together, then add something, then add something else, etc.

Obi-Dar Ke-Gnomie
09-11-2007, 09:30 AM
Don't try to cut the sinktube along it's length. It will spring open and try to flatten out. Perhaps you could cut the tube into rings that will go between the o-rings.

Just file or sand the edges well, and you shouldn't have trouble with cutting yourself.

Jetsi
09-12-2007, 12:48 PM
I was figuring that if I cut the sink tube and securely mounted it, I would have no problems with it flaring or expanding. I have done exactly that with a piece I am using to fashion a new switch plate for an old EL Luke ROTJ that I will convert to LED, and I have left the piece over the hilt thinking it would expand slightly and loosen its grip. It hasn't. And if you know me from other posts, it seems I always come up with whacky ideas of new stuff to try :P .

But, a quick trip to the Home Depot produced these washers, which are an extreme pain in the arse to put on, but I do like the look of them much better on the lower half. As difficult as they are to put on, I don't know if I could get them on the ribbbed extension, but it would be worth a shot.

http://i165.photobucket.com/albums/u49/jetsi/DSC07292.jpg

http://i165.photobucket.com/albums/u49/jetsi/DSC07293.jpg

If memory serves, they were #67 o-rings, and I can get the info such as diameter, etc. if anyone wants them.