PDA

View Full Version : Who likes organic looking sabers?

Corbin_Das
09-09-2007, 08:51 PM
Hi all
I did a search for organic sabers and couldn't find much so I thought I'd pose the question....

Do you like "organic" looking sabers or do you think they look too un-lightsaber-like?

For those not familiar with what I'm talking about, here are a couple examples of "organic" sabers....

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v345/corbin_das/DarkWoman.jpg

Here's a more "aquatic" design. Still sorta organic though:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v345/corbin_das/organic2.jpg

Here's a design I was playing around with, but haven't finished:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v345/corbin_das/spiraltest2.jpg

Braxus
09-09-2007, 08:57 PM
yea i like em, i found a site that custom makes them but they are way too expensive for me. But i do like how they look. For some reason they give me the impression of "Ancient" or "Old"

Very cool. I like the second one the "Aquatic" one, but your design is nice too :)

Stinky Bantha
09-09-2007, 09:04 PM
The design looks great. Very elvish...

I had actually thought about using an organic overlay for my saber, but then I decided to go with a more futuristic look. I think Braxus is right in saying that it feels more "ancient" when it's got a lot of curves and intricate details like that.

TheCheeker
09-09-2007, 09:07 PM
personally i really don't care for the "organic" look. imo a lightsaber shouldn't look like it was, for lack of a better word, grown. i do like your design tho because while it may have an organic-style design, it looks to me like it would still have a metallic/industrial look to it. what materials were you planning on using?

Corbin_Das
09-09-2007, 09:43 PM
Hi Cheeker

I imagine I'd be looking at aluminum. I suppose I could use copper or brass too, but we'll see. Here's a progression of the various ideas I had:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v345/corbin_das/zaynebrass.jpg

I agree that organic sabers often look more ancient. Not all the time, but often they tend to look like an older type of technology IMO.

Here's a brass and copper version of the double helix design:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v345/corbin_das/spiraltestbrass.jpg

Marsupial
09-09-2007, 10:23 PM
while I don't like the organic sabers for myself, I think its a completely different piece of art to make. I believe they look great with golden blades and ancient sounds. They have a different appeal, but still has some.

here's my organic style creation:
http://yanlauzon.ifastnet.com/images/starwars/brasssaber/photo53.html

I'm thinking about repainting it in "cameleon" light-reflective automotive paint.

Barmic Rin
09-10-2007, 05:53 AM
I like afew, the Dark Woman's or the Legacy Sith styles for example.

If you get too swish with them, then they can look like table legs & we all know where that can lead.... :cry:

chase
09-10-2007, 09:47 AM
I really like the organic sith sabers. I think a yellow or maybe even green would go good with an organic saber.

Corbin_Das
09-10-2007, 10:31 AM
I was told that the ancient Sith sabers (maybe the proto generation) were supposed to be carved from a single piece of material, but I've never looked into that so I haven't confirmed it.

Here's another organic one. I actually held this one at Celebration 3 a few years back. Really nice setup.

http://www.paralada.org/Estonia_self/Estonia_images/SWgeek/sabreFina.jpg

As far as color goes, I guess it depends on the look of the saber. I imagine most Sith would go red, but that's not set in stone I suppose. I wonder if Anakin hadn't got all dismembered and burned up and had his blue bladed saber taken, if he might have kept the blue blade or if he would have changed it. I suppose that's open to debate.

Corbin

goldsaberwarrior
09-10-2007, 11:01 AM
Not too fond of the dark woman saber. I like the 2nd one though. As for organic sabers I would like to see an army camo style saber for the reason I've never seen one.

Barmic Rin
09-10-2007, 11:17 AM
http://www.paralada.org/Estonia_self/Estonia_images/SWgeek/sabreFina.jpg

Corbin

OOOOOOOHHHHH........ Thomas' saber! I love it!
But then, I love alot of his work!
(BTW, he is the template for Ganner Krieg, the imperial knight in the legacy comics!)

Novastar
09-10-2007, 12:30 PM
I like the organic styles, but mainly in the sense that the saber is very "busy" looking, yet easy to handle.

Mainly, I think etching of patterns/lines/lettering and varying highlight & shadow could achieve similar looks with sink tube pipes (or MHS), but not create a bunch of peaks and valleys that prohibit certain electronics, or cause it to be harder to manipulate for stage fighting/whatever.

Very nice though Corbin... I remember you showing me some of these back in the BOP I days...

Jedi-Loreen
09-10-2007, 01:05 PM
I got to see and hold Thomas' saber at D*C in '03. He wanted to meet me because he wanted to show me the EL set he did for that saber. 8)

And he was one of the people I really wanted to meet when I went. :D

chase
09-10-2007, 01:21 PM
What ive always thought about doing is having a very simple metal hilt with everything in it and then doing a resin cast over it to make it look organic. Have the metal hilt be like 1 1/4 so its not huge when it has the cast over it.

ArkaiHalon
09-10-2007, 01:23 PM
I'm torn. I like some, but not all. the protosaber, dark woman's all look good, but some others look like "oops, it messed up, i'll say it's organic"

TheCheeker
09-10-2007, 07:28 PM

:shock: i really like these designs. my favorite is the fourth from the left. i also really like the hooked emitters on the other designs there.

xwingband
09-10-2007, 07:45 PM
Hmm... these to me are more sculpted than "organic". Organic makes me think of a saber made out of a tree branch or rock...

The concept seems like a Naboo saber. Makes sense because lucas wanted an art nouveua influence on Theed.

Obi-Dar Ke-Gnomie
09-10-2007, 07:47 PM

I like these. I had thought about doing something like this on my first saber, with black inlay under a carved out sink tube, but I chickened out and decided to keep it simple.

I'd love to see something like this come to life.

Dregan
09-11-2007, 06:03 AM
Those designs look vaguely LOTR Elf-like. I like em'.

gundamaniac
09-11-2007, 08:40 AM
I have to agree with xwing. Your designs look great but seem more sculpted than organic. While flowy curves and such are generally equated with "organic" when it comes to lightsabers, having curvy cutouts on a level plane make it look like an artsy elegant saber.

Yet when I think organic, I don't necessarily just think saber made out of bone or a treebranch or something. the Dark Woman's saber looks very organic to me. I think it's more of a matter of the hilt itself having some curvy-ness to it, as opposed to having curvy designs on a tube.

And I personally think whether or not I like organic sabers depends on the individual saber. I have to agree with the whole table-leg idea. Too ornate and curvy and it might end up looking like a piece of furniture. Organics seem to be a much harder style to tackle than PT, OT, and ancient-tech style sabers.

Luke-SkyMarcher
09-13-2007, 03:11 PM
I really like your design, Corbin... I think it's very elvish-looking, like it came from Rivendell. Reminds me of a high-elven style saber I was considering doing a while back.

Treadingwolf
09-20-2007, 04:53 PM
i really like the look of them, i am not a very good sculpter, so i would have to devise other means if i ever decide to make one .

Jeb Ardunis
09-21-2007, 02:59 AM
It is a toss-up between organic and sculpted. I'd venture to say that the organic style would indeed seem as if the saber were to be formed via the rock/wood material look. Quite possibly, and I could be talking from my rear here, that LS Jedi wield more a 'wood' type hilt, whereas DS Jedi/Sith wield more a 'rock' type. I figure it to be a better way to reflect the wielding character's persona (soul, if you will...) if the material it's casted from be semi-resemblant of their alignment.

Regardless, I do dig the designs... 8)

Maven
07-10-2009, 10:26 PM
Hard to get more "organic" then these... thats right... Wookie sabers!!!

Mat Katarn
07-11-2009, 12:47 AM
that first wookiee saber is tight, maven. you make that sucker?

Sairon
07-11-2009, 08:15 PM
That saber looks like the one from Plo-Koons master, don't remember his name though.

Maven
07-11-2009, 09:42 PM
Tyvokka :) the Wookie jedi, with a yello blade :)

cardcollector
07-12-2009, 08:51 AM
You're walking a fine line when you make organic sabers.

If you're not careful they can turn out looking like victorian table legs, a pile of twisted metal, or Medivial sword hilt w/o the blade.

However, if they turn out well, they can be more beautiful than regular lightsabers.

You really have to have fine taste and a lot of skill to make a Organic saber look good.

FenderBender
07-28-2009, 11:17 PM
Im so glad this thread got resurrected. I was looking everywhere for pics of that aquatic saber Corbin posted. I based my last CF saber Ferus Gladius off of that design. The emitter stuck in my head and I wanted to make an exact copy one day.

strengthofrage
07-29-2009, 04:48 AM
I knew that shroud design looked familiar Fender ;) I also really liked that saber but didn't remember where it was from. The one you made that was inspired by it was very sharp, very well done.

goldsaberwarrior
07-30-2009, 11:50 AM
necro post much.

It isn't a bad thing to revive a topic, if useful information is added. Please remember this in the future - LM

Largos
08-14-2009, 10:53 AM
Love'em been trying some diffrent materials. Too bad you can't use Ivory, had a bitch'n design for that. Been working with some rezin recently, mostly an over skin to metal. My frist few attempts where disasters :( . The aquatic one is really nice, Dark lady too.

galen marek
08-14-2009, 11:30 AM
涼しい

i love em, working on one right now, using resin.