PDA

View Full Version : Luxin' up a Parks Obi TPM

xwingband
09-07-2007, 08:11 PM
http://www.incomsabers.com/images/obitpm-004.jpg

I've been delayed but this is the first of three Parks and the test run for the others which are more complex.

I got in the battery pack and switch today. I broke the stock switch a bit ago... stupid stalk broke.

I also needed a 4AAA rechargeable Ni-MH pack. 4AA just doesn't fit by a hair and I simply like rechargeables because it saves. I couldn't go li-ion because of the voltage limit and with the space only 2 CR123's would have been adequate for a non-rechargeable solution.

http://www.incomsabers.com/images/parksobi1.jpg

So... heatsink and LED. The heatsink I had Don make for me. I use the same idea Parks did by sliding the heatsink up there. I epoxied my Rebel LED down with a special thermal epoxy; the whole assembly is also held in by a pissant 4-40 setscrew I had to special order.

I'll get pics of that tomorrow as I will be making another and gluing in the optics.

The craddle!

I took a piece of 1" thin walled PolyC that I had laying around and put pack in it. I cut a notch out for the driver and stuck that in place with double sided exterior tape.

I need to add in the shock sensor. I'll shove that in the craddle and it will be really secure. I'll also put some gasket tape around the craddle to bridge the gap and the whole assembly will be tight and solid in the hilt. No rattling for me...

I have to work on a customers saber so I'll probably finish this up later next week.

SilentBob501
09-07-2007, 11:06 PM
im so jealous of you right now that theres only one thing I can think of to do...

http://i102.photobucket.com/albums/m117/semmerman/Obiwanmindtrick.jpg
You want to give me your saber. You WANT to give ME your saber.

Maliki Skywalker
09-08-2007, 02:59 AM
Thats looking good already xwing, when are you converting your Obi ANH?

xwingband
09-08-2007, 06:09 AM
Thats looking good already xwing, when are you converting your Obi ANH?

That's next. It'll be similar except that the hilt is a lot tighter. That one is actually the worst to take apart... I need 5 allen wrenches and about 20 minutes to get it apart.

vortextwist
09-08-2007, 09:48 AM
I really do need to take mine apart. lookin good X

Novastar
09-09-2007, 03:54 AM
What is the board in there? Made specifically by Parks?

xwingband
09-09-2007, 04:20 AM
What is the board in there? Made specifically by Parks?

Oh... guess I didn't state that. It's erv's dimmer.

vortextwist
09-09-2007, 07:44 AM
In a low booming,echoing voice "Curse you X wing, curse you" :lol:

xwingband
09-09-2007, 08:44 AM
Well, I choose Erv's dimmer because sound is just too much. The pommel is just not compatible without a lot of work.

A straight up regulated on/off setup has been done too. So basically I want mine to be even more unique. :P

I may not have added that I'm going to house a motor in the craddle. :D So no sound but it'll have a plethora of effects.

xwingband
09-10-2007, 04:54 PM
Since I hit a roadblock on the other saber I've been chugging along on this...

IT'S DONE!!!!

I love the saber. Between Erv's style blade, driver and motor... until someone puts sound in one of these, I have the best! :P

I'll get a video and pics as soon as I can, but since I'm at school now it's not quite so convenient.

xwingband
09-10-2007, 07:26 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=loKdKLZXYrU

I love it! It's all mine... the hottest Obi TPM until someone beats me. Lots of good stuff going for it though.

First to house a Rebel (that I know of), Erv's dimmer and vibrating motor. Short of machining it for sound this is as sweet as it gets.

Lord Maul
09-10-2007, 08:44 PM
How much do ya want. LOL

Very nice saber Xwing. you are lucky

Jay-gon Jinn
09-10-2007, 09:19 PM
Very cool!

GFORCE13
09-10-2007, 11:50 PM
X-Wing Sweet that is awesome especially since you are using Erv's CSF board I have been dying to build a saber with it.

xwingband
09-11-2007, 05:03 AM
X-Wing Sweet that is awesome especially since you are using Erv's CSF board I have been dying to build a saber with it.

I'm using his dimmer and not the full Crystal Focus. It's the same thing minus the sounds. I really like it.

Vazan Maceu
09-11-2007, 12:54 PM
I'm using his dimmer and not the full Crystal Focus. It's the same thing minus the sounds. I really like it.

Looks cool, even without sound. Itīs a most interesting option if you donīt need sound in your saber, in my humble opinion. Maybe I should try it...

vortextwist
09-11-2007, 02:14 PM
very cool.man :cry:

DACOTA
09-11-2007, 03:19 PM
:shock: :cry: Wines like little puppy dog,its so cool,I wish I had one,you guys have all the cool stuff :cry: :lol: Very cool xwing,I love it.

Madcow
09-11-2007, 08:06 PM
Congrats X-wing.
That is the best Obi TPM saber I have ever seen.
Nicely done innards.

Too bad we're so far apart - we could showcase our TPM sabers together.

MC

Hasid Lafre
09-11-2007, 08:07 PM
Lookng sweet X!

Hay Mc when you gonna make a ep1 obi?

xwingband
09-11-2007, 08:29 PM
Congrats X-wing.
That is the best Obi TPM saber I have ever seen.
Nicely done innards.

Too bad we're so far apart - we could showcase our TPM sabers together.

MC

That would be cool. When I get my ANH version done it should be a great combo too.

The Parks certainly is good in terms of a replica. The only thing you can really knock is the depth of the center section.

Until someone does the serious work to insert sound I'm quite happy with mine.

erv
09-12-2007, 10:05 AM
wonderfull retrofit, and I'm so happy the new version of the driver is doing justice to this blue LED. Have you overdriven the luxeon at 1.5A or not ?

I'm really proud you called your blade "Erv's style blade", however, despite the fact that I'm one of the biggest user of this blade topology and I've found out a nice combo to get a progressive effect + even blade,
I'll add that the several rolled up layers of clear plastic (polypropylene, florist shop film etc) were, to my knowledge, first experimented by Gelukandhar (and I've been following the lead close behind, testing different stuff also).

congrats again !!

Erv'

Nightwing
09-12-2007, 11:12 AM
GAHH!!
Must have one!!! XP

xwingband
09-12-2007, 11:25 AM
wonderfull retrofit, and I'm so happy the new version of the driver is doing justice to this blue LED. Have you overdriven the luxeon at 1.5A or not ?

I'm really proud you called your blade "Erv's style blade", however, despite the fact that I'm one of the biggest user of this blade topology and I've found out a nice combo to get a progressive effect + even blade,
I'll add that the several rolled up layers of clear plastic (polypropylene, florist shop film etc) were, to my knowledge, first experimented by Gelukandhar (and I've been following the lead close behind, testing different stuff also).

congrats again !!

Erv'

I did look at 1.5A when I went through the config, but it wasn't a huge enough difference to justify the battery drain and going out of spec.

I'm just giving props because I've been following the 35cm recommendation out of your manuals. Personally I was quite shocked at the difference it made for the 3/4" blade. :D

erv
09-12-2007, 11:29 AM
understood,
glad you read my tutorial, not too many people are reading what I write. Not that I'm writing best sellers, but it's rare enough to underline the fact you did... and got satisfying results !!!

Barmic Rin
09-12-2007, 11:30 AM
Maybe it's just the camera, but yours looks a darker blue than Erv's one, that is a real difference between a 3w & a rebel.
(Only mentioning coz I haven't seen a vid of a rebel b4, just pics)

Very nice dude!

xwingband
09-12-2007, 11:39 AM
I'm using a Royal Blue vs. a normal blue. I think Erv used a normal blue on his custom machined version...

Honestly I prefer the saturation and I don't have to gamble with what shade I'm getting, it's going to look like a dark blue. Plus the place I bought from wasn't offering Blue Rebels at the time! :lol:

Jetsi
09-12-2007, 01:07 PM
That is a nice lookin saber. You did good work there, X.

Jonitus
10-11-2007, 12:44 PM
It is an awesome saber. Easily one of my top five favorites of all time.

When I get the workbench cleared of customer projects, my newly acquired Parks Obi-Wan is going to get it's pommel chucked up in the lathe and bored out so I can put in a full CFSC board and have sound.

Not trying to compete with you, x...but this is just the next logical step.

xwingband
10-11-2007, 02:48 PM
Besides the work involved... it doesn't fit! At least as is. You'd have to modify the little slip in tubing at the grips to fit a CF board.

Good luck on all accounts. The space and just the pommel alterations alone are nuts. In fact I'd consider it a challenge!

EDIT: Trust me too... I'm working my way up! The TPM is the test run. I'm working on the Parks Obi ANH now (same specs but I'm going to one up it in details) and gathering what I need for a full sound convert of my Parks Qui-Gon.

When I get the tools too... I'm so going to pull apart my sidious. Cast, the resin sections, make new blade holders and really make that a super saber!

Jonitus
10-12-2007, 06:52 AM
The pommel alterations will be considerably easier than I first imagined. The pommel is already partially machined hollow. I'm thinking that when I get to the point of boring it out, I will machine a small lip on the "face" of the rounded end of the pommel to allow the insert of a MPS insert to give a finished look and allow sound to escape.

Fitting a sound board will definitely be a challenge, but it will so totally be worth it when done. True to my form, I won't keep this one...it'll go up for sale a week or so after I build it.

xwingband
10-12-2007, 09:19 AM
Your saber must be different because mine is only hollow to the choke point below the grips. There are then two seperate pieces that go over the main one.

So as I see it on mine it would be a long narrow resonation chamber. Definately around or less than 3/4" and the length of the pommel.

So much work... where are you thinking of putting the Aux button? My only thoughts would be the brass bike valve up top. Thread it onto a momentary. Or maybe it's a crack dream but in one off the three allen heads/LED holders up top. :)

Jonitus
10-12-2007, 09:28 AM
Your saber must be different because mine is only hollow to the choke point below the grips. There are then two seperate pieces that go over the main one.

So as I see it on mine it would be a long narrow resonation chamber. Definately around or less than 3/4" and the length of the pommel.

So much work... where are you thinking of putting the Aux button? My only thoughts would be the brass bike valve up top. Thread it onto a momentary. Or maybe it's a crack dream but in one off the three allen heads/LED holders up top. :)

Yeah, I wanted to use the brass Schrader valve to hide the auxiliary switch. Seems a logical place to me. I'll paint that sucker MetalCast purple to match the stone and it should look sweet.