PDA

View Full Version : Next MHS Saber... SaberStaff?

Crashteam85
09-06-2007, 07:10 PM
Just seeking an opinion, I was thinking about doing a White staff, 2 36" blades, somthing pretty basic, totally dual able.

It wouldn't be a breakable hilt, all one piece, about 18 1/2" long hilt.

Opinions?

goldsaberwarrior
09-06-2007, 08:47 PM
Corbin battle blades.

Novastar
09-07-2007, 04:47 AM
If possible, make the hilt length either equal to or slightly wider than the width of your shoulder-to-shoulder span.

If you're going to go with white, I would strongly suggest looking into the Cree or Seoul or Luxeon Rebel whites. More bang, more brightness! :)

Crashteam85
09-07-2007, 10:35 AM
Everything Ive built has had the Corbin Battle Blade, I love that inner core look it gives them. Its just hot...

Nova, I would Love to use the white rebel Tri-lux I read about but as far as I knew there was no lens or lens holders for it yet.

I almost wanted to stick with 3w just so I could use another MR sound board cause its just so easy.

I'm totally open to a new challenge though, I priced out the whole saber the other night at around 235 bucks using 3w's Id like to keep it all under 250...

37H4N
09-07-2007, 11:17 AM
If you don't go with Nova's idea, instead of 3W, I would suddgest two K2s 'cause they are brighter and they only cost a dollar extra than the 3W. So it would only bump your total up two bucks.

When Tim gets the parts I need, I'll start my double white saber as well. Maybe we can compare!

goldsaberwarrior
09-07-2007, 11:15 PM
Just wondering but were you planing on dual wielding your double blade with another double or were you going to use just the one double? If you're going to use another double and dual wield I could give you some advice on how to build one like that.

Bescherman
09-17-2007, 02:23 PM
I'm looking into building staffs like that. Ones that can be used in a single hand with the highest "blade to hilt" ratio possible. Do you have any suggestions then?

I ask because I want to make staffs for glow staff spinning and want to make them short enough to use one in each hand (probably 5 1/2' total length MAX! More realistically 4/5' total). Obviously you can shorten or lengthen it by using different length blades.

I've posted about this in a couple of other places too. I'm just following it up here because you offered the construction tips!

goldsaberwarrior
09-17-2007, 03:57 PM
I would suggest having the hilts made to grip at center with about 4-7 inches of hilt showing while you're hand is gripping the saber. No more than 7 inches because any more and the hilt is too long to dual wield anyway. As far as blade length that's more personal preference in my opinion. I wouldn't go with anything over 30 inches per blade. Any longer and it makes the blade length impractical and too unbalanced for dual wielding. I had planned on making my hilts about 15 inches per hilt if possible. The blades about 25-28 inches. The measurements are what I had planned on using. I'm gonna get to work on my 2 doubles once I get some cash, time, and boards to use.

Bescherman
09-18-2007, 04:23 AM
I'm gonna get to work on my 2 doubles once I get some cash, time, and boards to use.

I hear ya!!! Same problems here too.

I think we have largely similar plans. 4' overall length would be perfect for me. If you're using these for staff spinning rather than "saber" use, have you considered building in a strobe circuit? I made a simple one on a breadboard using a 555IC chip (found the instructions, didn't make it up myself!). This could be build in using a resistored setup but I'm not sure if it would work with a puck. I'll have to experiment.

Crashteam85
09-21-2007, 09:00 AM
I would think you would want a staff to be almost equal to your height for proper combat use.

Bescherman
09-21-2007, 06:50 PM
I would think you would want a staff to be almost equal to your height for proper combat use.

Agreed, or even longer.

However I'm mooting the idea of double staffs (one in each hand), for which they ideally need to be shorter. It's a slightly different project, granted.