PDA

View Full Version : LED blade and MR EL soundcard

Jetsi
09-06-2007, 12:06 PM
Still working with the 2003 Luke ROTJ that had the EL blade.

I want to order the parts for the conversion to LED and use the original sound board. So, since I don't see any data on that saber, just a few questions.

Would the data on the 2002 Ani be the same, or roughly equivalent?

Will the sound card work if I don't run any wires from it to power the LED?

If using the original switch, which I think is a SPST, am I limited to a 3W LED (or K2)? Or would it be smarter to replace with a SPDT and be able to run two different volts?

Thanks guys (and gal), and don't bust me too hard. Everything makes sense about using all new components, but I don't want to fry this board by doing something stupid.

Jetsi
09-07-2007, 11:31 PM
OK, what?

Are the questions so stupid I need to spend 13 hours using the search feature to sift through tens of thousands of posts, or have I stumped everybody?

xwingband
09-08-2007, 06:20 AM
It's not so much as a stump as no one uses those sabers... I've seen a lot of these how do I use this older saber threads.

Simple truth is... we haven't bothered using them and wouldn't know. With all the newer ones available there is hardly a reason for me to go "back" and use boards generally considered unuseful or just plain inferior.

I can give some general advice though... the EL stuff is useless. It also will prove a challenge at 9V. A resistor would be inefficient for that.

first I'd look at the switch... is it a DPDT like the newer Luke ROTJ? If so... screw the old stuff. Set one side of it to run the old electronics and run another circuit for the Lux.

Jetsi
09-08-2007, 08:36 AM
Thanks, X.

That gives me some information that I can use, if I decide to work with this, although it is starting to sound like it won't be worth my time to try and salvage the board.

xwingband
09-08-2007, 08:56 AM
You can totally use it in some way, it's just you won't be able to reference pictures or previously done ones because I don't know of any.

If it's in working condition I'd consider selling it. You'd probably make enough to buy the more recent LED version. They look exactly the same and I wouldn't feel bad about gutting a saber some consider collectible.

Novastar
09-09-2007, 02:54 AM
Jetsi... you might ask Jedi Loreen, since she was pretty much the EL Sith Queen until EL went to Mustafar in a hand basket.

Additionally... did you post on the *EL* thread?? :)

What about on TF.N? There may yet be some EL zoids out there.

Jetsi
09-09-2007, 09:30 AM
I didn't post on the EL thread because I don't want to run an EL system, I just want to use the sound board from what was originally an EL system.

Just knowing the differences between EL and LED as a novice, I was just curious if the board would work without continuity of having the blade in place, etc.

Hasid Lafre
09-09-2007, 01:44 PM
Best way to use it is get a dpdt switch and run 2 circuits..

Jetsi
09-13-2007, 06:30 PM
Couldn't I run a SPDT switch?

And, just to clarify, I can't do any damage by underpowering the board, correct? I just want to do some testing, but before I start hooking up leads I want to be sure.

Hasid Lafre
09-13-2007, 07:05 PM
Well we really have no idea how much power them sound boards can take.

But no you will need a dpdt.It keeps the 2 circuts seperate so it wont cause any eletrical problems.

But to be on the safe side I wouldent put no more than 4.5-4.8V in the board.

GFORCE13
09-14-2007, 02:54 AM
Jetsi a friend of mine just won the 02 El MR Anni off of Ebay and he wants to do the same thing and convert it to Led, we definitely need to talk. My first question is since there is no Conversion Kit for this one what are you going to use for the emitter?

Jetsi
09-14-2007, 04:26 AM
Thanks Hasid. That makes sense now.

Gforce, I will let you know what I come up with as far as any data or revelations. I was just planning on using the maul emitter for now, as that has worked for others, but that is always subject to change too.

pipster79
12-11-2007, 06:06 PM
you should b able to run the soundboard at 5 to 6 volts, i just got my broken ani 2002 model off ebay, been workin on fixin it, and tested the power to the sound board and the el blade, the sound board runs around 6 to 6.5 volts depending how fresh your batteries are, and the blade runs 9v.
Sadly im afaid my board is a lil screwy, finally got sound out of it, and at the end of power on it makes a funny buzz sound then goes to hum, does this after the clahses as well and swings, and right at the start of the powerdown. Its very odd and if it wasn for this id leave the saber the way it is but since its a lil messed, i want to find another cf and convert it to lux