PDA

View Full Version : How to make a 3/4 blade

skywarp181
09-04-2007, 06:53 PM
Since CSS does not sell a complete 3/4 blade, what exact parts are needed to make a 3/4 blade?

Specifics would be a great help and how to..

Thanks

xwingband
09-04-2007, 07:48 PM
Use a blade film... wrap it up and shove it in there. There really is nothing to it. :D

skywarp181
09-04-2007, 08:16 PM
will you be able to see the layers of film throught the blade? kinda like a candy stripe, when lit? or will it look like a solid 1 piece film?

Jay-gon Jinn
09-04-2007, 08:56 PM
Here's one of my 3/4" blades:
http://i119.photobucket.com/albums/o141/Jay-gon_Jinn/3-4-blade-film-test-2.jpg
http://i119.photobucket.com/albums/o141/Jay-gon_Jinn/3-4-blade-film-test-1.jpg
Those are pretty close to true life appearance. 3/4" blades can be just a bright as 1" if done correctly. This particular blade is a combination of a double wrap of Corbin's diffuser and a full roll of Ultrafilm. It appears to be a solid energy beam when lit, and a white rod when off.

skywarp181
09-04-2007, 09:32 PM
What exact parts do i need to buy? :D

Jay-gon Jinn
09-04-2007, 09:51 PM
You will need a 3/4" thin-walled tube, a 3/4" thin-walled blade tip, a double wrap of Corbin's diffuser, a 3/4" aluminum disc (cut it down to about 1/2" dia.) and (this is optional, as it is a pain to use) a roll of clear cellophane gift wrap which can be found at Wal-Mart or some dollar stores.

skywarp181
09-04-2007, 10:11 PM
cool, sorry for all the q's :D

where do i get the aluminum disk?

and how does it all come together? do i wrap the clear ontop of the diffuser and shove it up the blade? Is there a specific way to do this? or just shove it all in there?

Lord Maul
09-04-2007, 10:13 PM
a cool place called the Custom Saber Shop sells aluminum disks, as well as everything else you need to make a light saber or a blade for one :wink: :P

Jay-gon Jinn
09-04-2007, 10:28 PM
Maul is correct, everything you need is in the store.

First thing to do is make sure the tube is clean, especially if you cut it. The blade in the above pic is cut to leave 32" exposed, including the tip. With a 3/4" blade, you really don't want to go much longer than that. Glue the tip on after you clean the tube. Then, roll up the Corbin film on a wood dowel rod, 1/2" works well, then slide it into the tube. It will unroll on its own. Most rolls of cellophane are 30" wide, and about 10 feet long. I cut the length needed after unrolling the film on a clean table. You may have to cut it length-wise and use two pieces. Roll up the cellophane on the rod and slide it into the Corbin film. Use some hot glue around the bottom of the inside of the blade to prevent the films from sliding out. You can also skip the cellophane and order a quad-wrap of the Corbin film to make it easier to do.