PDA

View Full Version : Hey guys Me and A friend need some help

Smartypants1635
09-03-2007, 08:04 PM
Ok So We are wanting to make some LED hilts to bring up to our school retreat on the 20th.

We have each picked a Saber from here. http://bigyellowbox.tripod.com/

I have chosen to make a double style of number 4 I will moddify it so it is hollow instead of using a dowel to hold the grip in there.

My friend is making saber 3 and that one will already be hollow to accomadate the electronics.

I was looking at LED blade holders and was trying to figure out which holder to get for both of ours. Do you guys have any suggestions??

If you could help us we would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks in advance

vortextwist
09-03-2007, 08:17 PM
well for your best band for you buck would be the 1.25 blade holder. It's a bladeholder heatsing and lense holder. I've never done any byb stuff. but i'm sure with the 1.25 sink tube you can get both designs close.

Smartypants1635
09-03-2007, 08:28 PM
hmmmm, Well the instructions call for a 1.5 inch because of the other parts that attach to the sink tube are 1.5 inch in diameter. Would Bondo or something to that effect work to hold the Holder in place?? Or Would a thumb screw work?

And that Set has the Led holder in it too right?? I only see the heat sink. But in the tutorials I see you need a heat sink and a led holder. Does that kit contain everything, besides the electronics and lense. Is there a way I can buy a Lense seprately too. My friend already has the needed electronics.

vortextwist
09-03-2007, 08:31 PM
oh no. you can also get the mhs to sink tube adapter and an led blade holder. that would work really well.

Smartypants1635
09-03-2007, 08:34 PM
Getting more and more expensive :lol: But does that 1.25 inch set have an LED holder with it?? Cause the tutorials say you need the heat sink and led holder :?: Also Does that converter fit inside the 1.5 inch sink tube, cause there isnt any area for that to fit in the design on the outside.

EDIT: Ahh I see how that fits in now, i like the multiple angle pictures in the store, very helpful.

Would it be cheaper to Buy the heatsink and led holder plus the Converter, instead of the entire kit and the converter?? I have screws like that at home already, and if i don't My dad said they shouldn't cost more then a few cents at the hardware store.

Hasid Lafre
09-03-2007, 09:50 PM
ok the 1.25 bladeholder has a bladeholder and heatsink and the mount for the led all in one.

The mhs to sinktube adaptor which I beleave alot of byb stuff is based off 1.6" sinktubes. then a led bladeholder of your choice and your done for that part. both setups will require a basic led package(sence theres no other packages for sale here as of yet).

Add some soldering skils and batteries and your done.

Smartypants1635
09-04-2007, 04:42 PM
Awesome thanks, Got the Leds already as well as all the other electronics, my friend is a robot junkie, so he has plenty of robotics, and electronics.

So I only need these.

http://www.thecustomsabershop.com/pc-649-22-quick-change-led-kit.aspx

http://www.thecustomsabershop.com/pc-654-33-mhs-to-15-sink-tube-adapter.aspx

Hasid Lafre
09-04-2007, 05:03 PM
You will need a bladeholder with the 1.5 sinktube stuff, the bladeholder comes with a heatsink and nylon screws to hold the led on the heatsink.

The sinktube adapter is used for a mount for the mhs bladeholders and also a sanwhich point for the heatsink, led, and optics.

http://www.thecustomsabershop.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3305

please refer to jay gonn's posts when it comes to the mhs bladeholder and sinktube adapter.

Novastar
09-04-2007, 05:07 PM
There *IS* a way to attach a 1.5" tube to a 1.25" tube which can then house a 1.25" black anodized emitter from TCSS. You most certainly need the TCSS sink tube coupler part to do it though. It's what I did with the Flange v3 sabers.

It's not the most ideal setup, but it certainly allowed for a really lean choke point for the fwd hand... and room in the back for two 18650 Li-Ion 3.7v cells to fit side by side.

They haven't failed me yet... I initially thought they would not be very durable.

Smartypants1635
09-04-2007, 07:12 PM
Are you talking about this picture?

http://i119.photobucket.com/albums/o141/Jay-gon_Jinn/My%20Second%20Chrome%20MHS%20and%20Hardware%20Sabe r/2nd-MHS-hardware-saber-13.jpg

I see the 1.25 inch
then the MHS
then a 1.5 inch pipe on top of that. Is that right??

I still am really confused, could you link me to exact parts besides the electronics that we will need??

Thanks soo much. This is a great Prop community.

Jay-gon Jinn
09-04-2007, 09:35 PM
I thought I heard my name mentioned! After reading this thread, and looking at the style 4 saber, I'd have to say the best way to build a hollow version would be to use Novastar's suggestion of two of the 1.5 sink tube adaptors, and blade holder #1. Also use a piece of 1.5" sinktube and 1.25 sink tube. All of the electronics will fit inside the 1.25 tube. You'd assemble it in a similar way as in my picture, using the split ribbed tubing instead of the slip-joint poly washers. Following the instructions at BYB, you would replace the 3/4" dowel with the 1.25" chrome pipe. Getting the ribbed tubing to fit might be a challenge, but it looks do-able.

Here are the parts I used from the store when I put that saber together:
style 1 blade holder (http://www.thecustomsabershop.com/pc-637-22-screw-on-led-blade-holder-style-1.aspx)

1.5" sink tube adaptor (http://www.thecustomsabershop.com/pc-654-33-mhs-to-15-sink-tube-adapter.aspx)
If you're doing a double bladed saber, you'll need two blade holders, and 4 adaptors. Not exactly the $20 price range that BYB quoted, huh?

Novastar
09-04-2007, 11:49 PM
Are you talking about this picture?

http://i119.photobucket.com/albums/o141/Jay-gon_Jinn/My%20Second%20Chrome%20MHS%20and%20Hardware%20Sabe r/2nd-MHS-hardware-saber-13.jpg

I see the 1.25 inch
then the MHS
then a 1.5 inch pipe on top of that. Is that right??

I still am really confused, could you link me to exact parts besides the electronics that we will need??

Thanks soo much. This is a great Prop community.Hi Smarty... glad you like the TCSS forum--I do too. 98% of people are helpful, and everyone contributes quite a bit to welcome others. :)

The photo: yes--that is essentially it to the T. Where did you find that photo? It's a very good example, and pretty much the way I put together my Flange v3 sabers. (EDIT: Oh carp--sorry Jay-Gonn... that's YOUR photo... how the heck did I miss THAT saber... what the... I wanna see it now!!!)

The one weakness is the fact that the 1.25" sink tube is quite thing to have any real "threading" on it... but it will hold as long as you don't have TOO long an amount of the 1.25" sink tube part... and you can always "buffer" the area where the tube could have some give with O-rings, a rubbery glue, etc.

Perhaps one day, TCSS will sell a coupler that makes a 1.5" tube fit right to the 1.25" black anodized emitter/blade mount... but--whatever. :D

To sum up--you got it 100% correct. :)

Jay-gon Jinn
09-05-2007, 07:21 AM
The photo: yes--that is essentially it to the T. Where did you find that photo? It's a very good example, and pretty much the way I put together my Flange v3 sabers. (EDIT: Oh carp--sorry Jay-gon... that's YOUR photo... how the heck did I miss THAT saber... what the... I wanna see it now!!!)

You didn't really miss it, Nova, you posted in the last couple pages of the thread!

I'm half tempted to try this design myself. It would be a lot easier and cheaper to do if we just had a simple adaptor without the threads or mounting holes to attach a 1.25 to a 1.5 sink tube.

Jonitus
09-05-2007, 09:42 AM
Smartypants,

If you'll pick up the shipping cost, I'll send you a foot of ribbed black plastic tubing I have laying around the shop. I bought 10' of it and don't have much use for it right now. It WILL go over a 1.25" sinktube...with effort. Once it's on there, it isn't going anywhere. Let me know if you're interested. If so, PM me.

Smartypants1635
09-05-2007, 03:48 PM
I thought I heard my name mentioned! After reading this thread, and looking at the style 4 saber, I'd have to say the best way to build a hollow version would be to use Novastar's suggestion of two of the 1.5 sink tube adaptors, and blade holder #1. Also use a piece of 1.5" sinktube and 1.25 sink tube. All of the electronics will fit inside the 1.25 tube. You'd assemble it in a similar way as in my picture, using the split ribbed tubing instead of the slip-joint poly washers. Following the instructions at BYB, you would replace the 3/4" dowel with the 1.25" chrome pipe. Getting the ribbed tubing to fit might be a challenge, but it looks do-able.

Here are the parts I used from the store when I put that saber together:
style 1 blade holder (http://www.thecustomsabershop.com/pc-637-22-screw-on-led-blade-holder-style-1.aspx)

1.5" sink tube adaptor (http://www.thecustomsabershop.com/pc-654-33-mhs-to-15-sink-tube-adapter.aspx)
If you're doing a double bladed saber, you'll need two blade holders, and 4 adaptors. Not exactly the $20 price range that BYB quoted, huh?

So would a 1.25 be neccesary?? By the looks of it once the blade holder is attached to the adapter, you could just slide that assembly into the 1.5 pipe and screw it down with a thumb screw. Correct??

So I would attach blade holder 1 to the MHS adapter then the Adapter slides into the 1.5 tube, screw it down and add the Shower head. Does that sound like it will work.

Adam

Smartypants1635
09-05-2007, 03:51 PM
Smartypants,

If you'll pick up the shipping cost, I'll send you a foot of ribbed black plastic tubing I have laying around the shop. I bought 10' of it and don't have much use for it right now. It WILL go over a 1.25" sinktube...with effort. Once it's on there, it isn't going anywhere. Let me know if you're interested. If so, PM me.

Thanks Anyway Jonitus, I already have an mini shop vac tube that I'm using.

Novastar
09-05-2007, 06:41 PM
So would a 1.25 be neccesary?? By the looks of it once the blade holder is attached to the adapter, you could just slide that assembly into the 1.5 pipe and screw it down with a thumb screw. Correct??

So I would attach blade holder 1 to the MHS adapter then the Adapter slides into the 1.5 tube, screw it down and add the Shower head. Does that sound like it will work.Yup, that would work. However, the entire point of why I went through the motions on attaching a 1.5" tube w/screw cap to MHS coupler to 1.25" to TCSS 1.25" black anod emitter... was to get the overall choke point, and add that sort of "levels" feel to the sabers. I'm rarely much on the sabers that are a giant cylinder (unless they are meant to be simple, simple, simple run-o'-da'-mill sabers)...

Smartypants1635
09-05-2007, 08:47 PM
Well, I have some sheet styrene from my model shop that Im using to give it some depth on the outside of the hilt. :D

Thanks Sooo much. My friend and I will be making out order very soon. How long does the shipping usually take?? We'll post pics along the way.

Thanks again guys.

Jay-gon Jinn
09-05-2007, 09:25 PM
The only reason I suggested using the 1.25 tube was because the instructions for the saber would use a 3/4" wooden dowel inside the saber effectively blocking any electronics, but if you've got another way to build it so it's hollow and sturdy, then skip it. Otherwise, I think you've got it figured out. Be sure to post up some pictures when you're done.