PDA

View Full Version : Could you use only one switch on Erv's Board?

Braxus
09-03-2007, 01:02 PM
I tried looking for an answer to this but couldnt.

If I only wanted to have one switch, would it still have all the features? say if i used the SPST Push on/off - Mom switch with black button offered here at TCSS, would that fuction as the main on/off switch and the auxillary button? or could i use any single switch to the same effect?

Lord Maul
09-03-2007, 01:05 PM
Nope. you need a single switch for power, and a different one for the auxiliary. it is possible to run the board without a Aux. Button if you want, but that's just money wasted in my opinion.

vortextwist
09-03-2007, 01:16 PM
yes you can maul. like me and x is doing. use the recharge port as the kill switch. when you insert the charger or plug it will kill the power to the board. I'm doin that on the custom don is making me so I only need the momentary switch.

Madcow
09-03-2007, 02:03 PM
I think what Braxus is asking is if one switch will work the features of both the activation switch AND the aux button - the answer is NO.

You can have a re-charge port that acts as a kill switch... but the Aux button is a seperate circut from the activation button.

Unless Erv knows of a way.

MC

xwingband
09-03-2007, 02:13 PM
huh, a killswitch negates the need for a general power switch... to get the aux functions you still need two buttons, on/off and aux.

I don't see a way around that unless you use a multi-direction switch. They have 4-way tactiles meant for MP3 players and such.

Not having/using the second switch is killer. How do you switch soundbanks? No extra features, etc... it really cuts off a huge amount of benefits to Erv's board.

Hasid Lafre
09-03-2007, 02:14 PM
Only thing I can think of is a single switch that does 3 things, off-on-momentary action.

And I seen it only once and in a toggel switch.

vortextwist
09-03-2007, 04:01 PM
:oops: then i misunderstood what x-wing said :oops:

erv
09-04-2007, 12:43 AM
Only thing I can think of is a single switch that does 3 things, off-on-momentary action.
And I seen it only once and in a toggel switch.

there is a mix n' blend of things in this post. I think what you describe is a push button with 2 separate circuits. One being a push on / push off, second circuit being a momentary single contact switch, both activated by the same "button" (the top cap).
So basically with such a setup you activate the saber AND press the aux button at the same time. 1 chance out of 2 to either power off the saber or do a blaster deflection...

how about user interface modality ? if you need to do 2 differents things, you need 2 differents buttons. Or a modifier. The pressing-duration modifier is used on the aux button to give it already more than one function and it can't reasonably be combined with something else to be used ALSO as an activation button (wouldn't be reliable)

EXCEPT... if you wish to make the hocus pocus saber... with a bit of vocal recognition + gesture detection.
Say "hocus pocus", make 2 swings and a clash, and you power off the saber :wink:

Erv'

Braxus
09-04-2007, 08:46 AM
EXCEPT... if you wish to make the hocus pocus saber... with a bit of vocal recognition + gesture detection.
Say "hocus pocus", make 2 swings and a clash, and you power off the saber

Erv'

LOL i like that. :) well i just wanted to see if it were possible. not knowing how the board worked and all. I kinda didnt want to have to put two switches but i deffinetly dont want to lose any functionality so ill have to go with the two switches. Though, the HOCUS POCUS does sond good!! :)

Hasid Lafre
09-04-2007, 09:57 AM
No it was a toggel switch. someone on here has one on there saber.

Its a single switch it goes

Off - momentary action which means down is off, middel is on and if you tap it up again it does the momentary action but stays on. so you could do the aux effect and not have the blade come on and aux.

I do know what iam talking about I just cant remember whos saber it was.

neophyl
09-04-2007, 10:40 AM
Off - momentary action which means down is off, middel is on and if you tap it up again it does the momentary action but stays on. so you could do the aux effect and not have the blade come on and aux.

I do know what iam talking about I just cant remember whos saber it was.

I know that type of switch too. Unfortunately it couldnt really be used with the crystal focus properly.

For example if you want to access the sound bank selection then the sabre needs to be off then the auxilary button is held until it beeps then pressed again quickly. You couldnt do that with the switch described as to get 'up' to the momentary action you have to pass through the 'on' part which will of course turn the sabre on. Meaning that when you did get to the momentary part it would trigger the normal aux function of blaster deflect or lockup (if held on long enough).

Hope that makes sense and makes things a little clearer.

Novastar
09-04-2007, 04:57 PM
Neo is right... but to clarify what Vortex said--you CAN indeed use your recharge port as a kill switch.

For my version 1.2 CFs, it's really needed, as they draw a lot more power when "idle" than the newer boards. Erv found ways to reduce the idle draw (which is mainly thanks to the SD card since it is "normally" meant to be hooked to a PC or whatever that has a constant source via the 110v/220v plug vis a computer!!).