PDA

View Full Version : Would this button work as a auxillary switch?

Braxus
09-02-2007, 12:56 AM
I came across a link to a site that sells Buttons and noticed this one.
Here is the link: http://www.allelectronics.com/cgi-bin/item/PB-143/700325/HD_METAL_PUSHBUTTON,_N.O._MOMENTARY_.html

As im a total noob when it comes to this electronic stuff, i dont know if it would work as an auxillary switch like for erv's board or that it would even fit in a custom hole on a MHS Hilt. Can you guys help me out? oh, and whats the diff between Momentary and push on/off? Can Momentary be used as an on/off switch?

This Flat one too would be cool to have:
http://www.allelectronics.com/cgi-bin/item/PB-144/700325/HD_METAL_PUSHBUTTON,_FLAT_-_MOMENATRY,_N.O._.html

neophyl
09-02-2007, 02:30 AM
Both of those could be used with Ervs board. They are physically a fairly large switch hovever so you would certainly have to get the hole on a MHS enlarged. They would also 'stick' out a bit where the bezel edge is as they are designed for mounting on a flat surface not a tube.

One of my sabres uses a varient for the main on/off making use of the crystal focus circuits configurability to allow the use of a momentary action switch instead of a latching type.

http://www.spartandesign.co.uk/pictures/jeffrekcfv2.jpg

The one I used has a led built in which is used for the low power indicator on the CF.

A momentary switch only lets power through when you are physically holding the button/lever/actuator. A push on/off is a latching type of switch where it stays in positiom until you press it again. Slide switches, most rocker switchers etc are latching for example.

Braxus
09-02-2007, 05:41 AM
Thats a nice saber neophyl.

They would also 'stick' out a bit where the bezel edge is as they are designed for mounting on a flat surface not a tube.

When you say this, you mean it wont be flush? is this just because of the size of the bezel and the amount of curve on the tube. So on a larger diameter tube it would be more flush? Well i want to use it on a MHS hilt, so how bad do you think it would stick out? Barely Noticeable or Very noticeable? any way you know to minimize this?

One of my sabres uses a varient for the main on/off making use of the crystal focus circuits configurability to allow the use of a momentary action switch instead of a latching type.

Hows does this work? do you still have to hold down the button to keep the saber on?

And Thanks for explaining the Momentary /latching stuff for me. I kinda figured that but i was not certain.

vortextwist
09-02-2007, 07:03 AM
depends on the board, like the mr's need latching. erv's and ultras needs momentary. corbins depends on which one you buy. those switches need a really big hole.

xwingband
09-02-2007, 09:35 AM
depends on the board, like the mr's need latching. erv's and ultras needs momentary. corbins depends on which one you buy. those switches need a really big hole.

Erv's actually defaults to latching, it's opposite though from traditional ones. It's on when it's open not on when you closed the circuit.

It can do any switch though... momentary or latching.

As long as you match the right switch it will be one push for on. Unless you want it otherwise...

Hasid Lafre
09-02-2007, 12:53 PM
When I get ervs board iam gonna use 2 momentary switches.

And set it up so I an use the momentary button like ultra has on his.

IAm gonna go with 2 of these and recess them into the hilt.

http://www.allelectronics.com/cgi-bin/item/PBS/search/S.P.S.T._N.O._PUSHBUTTON_.html

It looks like a slide switch but its a momentary.

Novastar
09-02-2007, 01:47 PM
I came across a link to a site that sells Buttons and noticed this one.
Here is the link: http://www.allelectronics.com/cgi-bin/item/PB-143/700325/HD_METAL_PUSHBUTTON,_N.O._MOMENTARY_.html
For the record, that exact button was installed into a BOP I saber by myself and Cael (Phil Raupach). You can certainly use it if you like. Neo is correct that it might jut out a bit seeing as it was designed for a flat surface. There are ways around that though. Basically, it's all about bulking up the OD around the switch (sort of making it look like a "ring" band if you will).

Anyhow, the switch is considered an "anti-vandal" and near indestructible. However, it is pretty darn large, and you might want to try smaller switches.

Braxus
09-02-2007, 02:23 PM
Yea, size was my main concern. I know they are huge!! Its that metal recessed look i was going for. Does anyone know if and where there might be a similar switch that is smaller? Id like to have as little of the button jutting out as posible

Hasid Lafre
09-02-2007, 03:06 PM
A slider would be easy. as on most you can cut the length of the lever.

Say you mount it under the mhs and then cut the length of the lever down to what you would be comfertable with.

gundamaniac
09-11-2007, 11:19 AM

Erv's actually defaults to latching, it's opposite though from traditional ones. It's on when it's open not on when you closed the circuit.

It can do any switch though... momentary or latching.

As long as you match the right switch it will be one push for on. Unless you want it otherwise...

Now, defaults to latching? As in you can tweak settings for a momentary, or what? :?

And the flat switch is a very nice switch. go for it =P

xwingband
09-11-2007, 12:02 PM
Yes, it's a config change on the SD card to change the switch from latching to momentary. He ships it setup for latching though.