PDA

View Full Version : Ultrasound problem(?)

mikenmel
08-29-2007, 05:33 PM
So there I am.. Defending the realm against some misguided jedi (my son and daughter), when my newly constructed LED w/ Ultraboard saber turns off. I quickly turn it back on to avoid immediate death but after a moment it turns off again. It does perform the "turn-off" sound but does not dim to off, but kills the LED immediately. It couldn't be the switch, since it takes a good couple of seconds for the switch to cause an "off" event. Is there some kind of auto-shut-off if it gets too hot? Any ideas?

Firebird21
08-29-2007, 06:14 PM
Sounds like a broken connection between the Board and the Batteries.

This can be a common problem with heavy dueling if the electronics are rattling around inside.

Also, if you are using a Battery Holder, check to make sure the batteries are not starting to fall out and loose connection. I had this problem once, wrapping it in electrical tape so they couldn't move solved the problem.

Darth Morbius
10-09-2007, 08:17 AM
There is the possibility that the Auto-Off feature on the Ultrasound may not be disabled.

This was supposed to be standard on all of the boards, but it could have been missed.

Novastar
12-16-2007, 10:10 PM
I just cruised by Ultra's site (I just look every now and then to see what's new)...

So... apparently the "Bane" sabers *ALL* have defective v1 sound boards???

What the heck is going on out there? One thing is for certain, if you're looking to make a PCB...

NEVER NEVER NEVER *EVER* have it built by the same company that does them. Forget it. No more excuses from them--it's not so much Ultra's fault as it may be their fault...

I think it's "makeyourownchip.com"

More like makeyourownSHIP.com. I think you know what I am alluding to. As always, I feel bad for Ultra.

Phiily Manyaan
12-19-2007, 10:45 AM
Which soundboard would you guys recommend? The ultra looked appealing to me because it looked fairly easy to install. Are there others that are just as straightforward?

Barmic Rin
12-19-2007, 11:04 AM
I personally prefer Erv's Crystal Focus, though there is a wait on them ATM.
I've heard good things about Ultra's, and this is the first i've heard of any real defects in them.

The CF gives more freedom to customise & not to hard to install, so if you want to pay that little bit extra & have patience for the new patch, I say go with Erv's.
That's just my Opinion though.

Lord Maul
12-19-2007, 11:27 AM
Barmic, quite a few Ultrasounds were defective. ALL of them that were set aside for the Bane saber (10 I think) were defective, and don't work at all. Plenty of users had trouble with them too. I got a good board, I'm lucky I guess :P

Barmic Rin
12-19-2007, 11:37 AM
Yeah, I checked his site after I posted.
That sucks about the Bane's, they were turning out nice.

Oh well! Erv still gets my cash. Just hope his sale is on for a little while, may stock up on bits whilst Tim is sorting here.

Darth Morbius
12-28-2007, 01:35 AM
It's not that they didn't work AT ALL. Some of them didn't get fully prrogrammed at the manufacture stage.

A few leaked out that still had the Auto shutdown feature still active, even though they were sent back to be reprogrammed.

It looks like the last batch for the Bane had the non program issue, and may have been due to the rushed pace that they were processed.

I have talked to Ultra about it, and it seems that there were actually quite a few that had certain parts of the programming that went awry.

LAN-ED-TUL
01-01-2008, 03:27 AM
i guess i was fortunate, my US board works perfectly. and as we all already know, the only complaint i had was the solder tabs were a pain in da butt. which is supposedly being fixed on the next run with solder holes instead, which will make life easier.

i cant afford a Erv board so my moneys on the US board for now. and im awaiting the next release run to get done so i can put one in my new MHS hilt.

vortextwist
01-01-2008, 08:17 AM
There has been rumblings on fx sabers that there won't be another run of boards, I kind of hope does and gets some things changed on them.

Sethski
01-01-2008, 01:33 PM
I really hope they do have some more out, I've not had a chance to see any of the first run in the flesh and I'd still like to get a couple.

Of course I'd much rather wait and have any issues ironed out.

The main issues with the US 1.0 seemed to be an unlucky choice of manufacturer (and consequent faults) and the clash sensor not working great.

I love the Crystal Focus and I'd have them in any saber I owned if that were possible, but the big plusses of the Ultrasound for me would be smaller size (I have a couple of EL hilts that I'd like to convert which would be very difficult or maybe not possible with CF) and, of course, the price, for something significantly better than an MR board (when it works as it should).

vortextwist
01-01-2008, 06:23 PM
I totally agree. I wish there were a board that was better then an mr but. Untill he finds a good manufacturer that won't screw him, or make a crappy product. I'll wait.