PDA

View Full Version : OD question/Lens question

strengthofrage
08-28-2007, 06:24 PM
Hello,

I just found your site a few days ago; lots of info, I like it.

I have made a few custom hilts before but nothing more than a few 'pretty' LEDs for internals. The hilts themselves were standard hardware store hilts but nicely done. I now want to try one using your 'complete blade' and Luxeon LED parts but I have a few questions...

1). I see that you offer a package including the LED, lens, holder etc. My question is why is it only offered with the 10 degree lens? All of the forum posts and 'how to' info says that the 5 degree would be better with the thick walled polycarb blade... I have my mind set on the 5 degree after reading all of the info but have to piece it together due to the set being offered with only the 10. Are there sets that have the 5 degree lens?

2). I dont want to use the sink tube like I did on my past few hilts but I still want the hilt to be as custom as possible. I was thinking of ordering a section of aluminum tubing from onlinemetals.com but I need to know the best way to adapt it to your TCSS blade holder. I saw the '1.25" Sink tube LED/Blade holder' and thought I could use that. If I do, I would need to know the OD of that blade/LED holder before I ordered the aluminum. Could you please let me know that measurement?

Thanks in advance!

987654321a
08-28-2007, 06:34 PM
1) When you are all finished with your order, pm Tim (Strydur) here and ask him to replace the 10 degree with 5 degrees. Also be sure to provide your order number. However I am not sure if he will do this so you will have to ask him directly.

2)Buy MHS pieces here and put them together, way easier to use than a tube from online metals. And unless you have a lathe, the metal pipe from online metals is as good as scrap. Meaning it doesnt look good at all.

Novastar
08-28-2007, 07:06 PM
As near as I can tell, there is little distinction between the 10 and 5 degree lenses--for OUR purposes (sabers).

Then again, I believe if your polytube length was pretty long (let's say 36" +), you might notice a difference between 5 and 10 degree.

vortextwist
08-28-2007, 08:16 PM
the only thing I have noticed is the 10 fits a hella better in the holder then the 5 degree. The one 10 degree I do have has never sat right, even after trimming and trimming, I had always had to hold the lens down with my finger when putting on the blade holder. it sucked.

Are you talking about the sinktube adapter? or just a blade holder? The thing about tims stuff is it's made to hold the heatsink,led, optics. and of course the blade.

strengthofrage
08-29-2007, 05:09 AM
Thanks for the responses guys, this site is nice.

As for the aluminum tube stock vs. the modular pieces...

I like the modular pieces offered here but for this hilt the blank aluminum tubing is best. The idea I have was inspired by a wookie, this hilt will be made to look somewhat organic and I will be using sculpy and leather cord primarily. The blade and LED holder i was refering to was the black anodized piece that is offered under 'LED specific' - 'Blade holders'... there isnt a product ID# but it is the only black anodized piece offered. It looks like it slips inside your hilt tube after you assemble it with the LED, lens and heat sink. Thats why I wanted the OD of the piece so I know what size tube to get. Sink tube is chrome and not needed for my application and the Mdular pieces are too nice to cover with sculpy.

I know this idea sounds weird but the wookies are known for blending technology and their natural suroundings... inspiration came from a graphic novel and something I saw online.

Thanks again for the responses and tips, I appreciate it. Its nice to know Im not the only person into this.

pockets
08-29-2007, 05:21 AM
the OD of the andonized piece is 1.25

strengthofrage
08-29-2007, 05:42 AM
Thanks Pockets, I appreciate the help from everyone. Now the hard part, waiting for my parts to arrive :D

ArkaiHalon
08-29-2007, 05:59 AM
you'll definately have to post pics when it's done. I've got a Wookie Jedi character in mind for my next saber.

Hasid Lafre
08-29-2007, 08:28 AM
I would love to do a wookiee jedi costume but sadly I dont have the extra foot in hight and stilts arnt my cup of tea.

I doute theres a 6 foot tall wookiee.

ArkaiHalon
08-29-2007, 08:49 AM
MiniChewie

Hasid Lafre
08-29-2007, 09:12 AM
nah. wouldent want to try it without the proper hight. would get laughed at more and more than I usually do.

ArkaiHalon
08-29-2007, 09:42 AM
the one i've got planned is more for my collection / charactor story than for costuming. Which means I don't have to worry about looking like the love child of a wookie and an ewok.

Hasid Lafre
08-29-2007, 09:59 AM
hahaha yeah. thats funny. love child of wookiee ewok.

But I wanted to do a costume of it but I dont like stilts. so that costume idea hit the trash can.

strengthofrage
08-29-2007, 06:23 PM
This one is definitely not for a costume, I dont think I would like stilts either. This one is just for my collection. I will be sure to post a pic when its done, assuming it turns out like I intend it to and not a mass of clay and lights.

...For some reason when you mentioned the offspring of a wookie and an ewok I pictured Danny Devito, not sure why.

Hasid Lafre
08-30-2007, 04:47 AM
ROFLMAO.

Thats funny, Yeah even if it dosent turn out like you want we can still give you ideas on what to do with it.