PDA

View Full Version : PEX

ArkaiHalon
08-27-2007, 12:00 PM
Anybody tried it? I came across it in the aisle at home depot and remembered reading about it on a different site. thought what the heck, 3/4 inch is 5 feet for a mere 3 bucks. if nothing else, it can be a practice blade. a quick run over to another aisle, picked up a mirrored rosette, a 3/4 inch copper coupling, a chair tip cover, and headed home.

cut to length, sanded the stuff out of it. glued the rosette into the chair tip and glued that on. Pushed the copper coupling on to the saber end. turned out the lights, and hit the switch.

these are with a Royal Blue Luxeon III 3w. not a bad practice blade for less than 10 bucks.

http://k-squared.com/Lightsabers/PEX%20blade/PEX.JPG
http://k-squared.com/Lightsabers/PEX%20blade/PEX1.JPG

Proximal
08-27-2007, 05:00 PM
Blade or diffuser?

Eandori
08-27-2007, 05:41 PM
Sorry, what is PEX?

Jedi-Loreen
08-27-2007, 06:10 PM
Psst, there's something called the 'internet'. You can look up stuff on it. :wink:

Ok, I'll stop being a smart alec. :P

"What is PEX?

PEX is cross-linked Polyethylene. Through one of several processes, links between polyethylene macromolecules are formed to create bridges between PE molecules (thus the term "cross-linked). This resulting molecule is more durable under temperature extremes, chemical attack, and resists creep deformation, making PEX an excellent material for hot water applications (up to 200° F)."

What are recommended uses for PEX?

PEX 's flexibility and strength at temperatures ranging from below freezing up to 200 degrees Fahrenheit makes it an ideal piping material for hot and cold water plumbing systems, hydronic radiant heating systems, snow melting applications, and, even ice rinks and refrigeration warehouses."

ArkaiHalon
08-27-2007, 06:58 PM
the blade is PEX, no diffuser. I just sanded the blade.

If anyone wants to give it a shot, here's the list of parts.

1x 5ft lenght of PEX pipe, 3/4 inch diameter
1x copper coupler, 3/4 inch
1x 7/8 inch plastic chair tip
1x mirror rosette.

just like pvc, it's not really 3/4. it's OD is 7/8.
the copper coupler ID is 7/8, so it's a perfect SNUG fit.
the coupler is what's in blade holder.

Jedi-Loreen
08-27-2007, 07:28 PM
I thought PEX was supposed to be flexible? :?

ArkaiHalon
08-27-2007, 07:36 PM
The stuff I got today has a fair amount of give to it, but I dont' know that I'd call it flexible.

ani_bee
08-27-2007, 08:05 PM
Dear God that exactly what my glow staffs are made of, you just made this newb’s day. :o
It staffs where sold as a ¾” thickness but I just did the math now and it’s an 7/8” OD.

It’s not flexible in the normal sense the, thickness of the wall is thicker then most of the flexible variety. But it dose flex more naturally after 4’ in length. I was sparing with a friend with the set I have and the bit of give makes for a good shock absorber.

Out of pure curiosity did you use a white plastic chair tip or a clear one ArkaiHalon?

ArkaiHalon
08-27-2007, 08:39 PM
white plastic tip. can't remember the brand.

and I just hacked 6 inches off of the length (40 inches is just to long).
It made a big difference in the brightness. I'll post new pix tomorrow.

Novastar
08-28-2007, 12:20 AM
I have a bunch of 3/4" clear rubber tips if you'd like some, Arkai.

I think this could be promising stuff if it came in 1" OD somewhere. I will also venture a guess that adding just a bit of diffuser would go a long way for making the light more even.

Then again... that is a 3/4" blade. :)

ArkaiHalon
08-28-2007, 05:33 AM
technically, it's a 7/8 inch blade. The ID is 3/4.
I may try Jay-Gon's cellophane idea on the inside, see what it does.
I'm also going to sand the inside down this evening to see if that helps.
and cutting it down to 34 inches helped a great deal as well. and i'm pretty sure if i'd used a better reflector in the tip, it would have done better.

I'll post more pix later tonight.

Eandori
08-29-2007, 07:51 PM
Psst, there's something called the 'internet'. You can look up stuff on it.
Great idea. Every time somebody writes a new abstract buzz word or concept I'll drop what i'm doing and invest 15 minutes researching that topic and eventually figure out what they were talking about with no details :)

ArkaiHalon
09-06-2007, 05:58 AM
It is AMAZING what fresh batteries will do. sheesh

http://k-squared.com/Lightsabers/PEX%20blade/PEXnb1.JPG
http://k-squared.com/Lightsabers/PEX%20blade/PEXnb3.JPG

Novastar
09-06-2007, 02:14 PM
Those do look really nice, Arkai! I'd love to try them out sometime and see if they'd stand up to duelling and all that.

They should CERTAINLY stand up to what the padawans and droids will do in BOP III... so it would probably be fun to have a bunch of different blade types.

Only problem for BOP III is... I've already ordered a bunch of thin-walled poly tubes, and I need to keep any wasted/extra resources to a minimum... :)

But wow, at those prices for PEX... I could afford to try out a few!!

Thanks for the work, photos, and research...

ArkaiHalon
09-08-2007, 09:04 PM
http://k-squared.com/Lightsabers/MHSamberPEX.JPG
http://k-squared.com/Lightsabers/PEX%20blade/PEXba1.JPG
http://k-squared.com/Lightsabers/PEX%20blade/PEXba2.JPG

GeluKhanGharr
09-18-2007, 10:17 AM
I just came across this thread. Funny, I put together a tutorial on the subject a few months back:
http://www.illumisabers.com/diy/

I have also used this setup in my son's saber. The blade is only 24 inches long, so it works wonders. BTW, that is a 1W LED in there!
You can see it in action here:
http://youtube.com/watch?v=KxXwM6Oa9g8

DACOTA
09-18-2007, 12:44 PM

Oh my god,Finally! :roll: Anyways that looks really cool,so is it almost as strong as polyc?If its better than the thin walled blades I have I'll give it a shot,it was my fault anyway for going with thin walled but they are pretty good.Thanks for the topic. :D

ArkaiHalon
09-18-2007, 02:51 PM
I just came across this thread. Funny, I put together a tutorial on the subject a few months back:
http://www.illumisabers.com/diy/

I have also used this setup in my son's saber. The blade is only 24 inches long, so it works wonders. BTW, that is a 1W LED in there!
You can see it in action here:
http://youtube.com/watch?v=KxXwM6Oa9g8

Thank you. At the time i posted this, I could NOT remember your site (foundit by accident one day and forgot to book mark, an error now fixed)
So I couldn't give proper credit, for which I apologize.

It's great material, andso is the DIY saber.

Novastar
09-18-2007, 04:36 PM
Arkai... just for reference's sake, Gelu is also the guy who (as far as I know) pretty much pioneered the style of diffuser that Ultra (Alex) uses.

Great vid, Gelu!!! Your son is adorable and hilarious... and... I wouldn't want to get attacked by him with a saber, hahahha.... :)

Angelus Lupus
09-18-2007, 05:11 PM
There's a kid who can test PEX to destruction! :) Seriously tho, the blade looks great.

GeluKhanGharr
09-18-2007, 08:24 PM
Arkai, thanks man. I didn't realize you've got the inspiration from my site, I thought it was a coincidence that you've thought of that also. Anyway, I'm glad someone made use of the idea.

Novastar, thank you too! I've had some nice black'n'blues that spoke plenty of my son's talents with a stick. My saber is a foot longer and he still gets to me...kinda like Yoda and Dooku in AOTC. He's merciless!

Seriously now, PEX is a great cheap substitute for a blade. It definitely is not as pretty as PolyC, and it tends to be a bit too flexible at longer spans, but it is both a blade and a diffuser in one and you can afford to bang away at it without the worry that you damage a prized possession. And the brightness is pretty close to say using an MR blade with that white diffuser. Not too shabby for about five bucks.

987654321a
09-18-2007, 08:28 PM
Nice to see you on the boards gelu. Havent heard from ya in a while.

Novastar
09-19-2007, 12:32 AM
Right on, Gelu... I'm glad Arkai met you and got inspiration from you. I was wondering how he (so very quickly) found such a cool piece of kit!!! I should have known he got some ideas from a veteran!

I'll have to try some out sometime... they might be useful for the LED saber classes I teach that are for kids. It's probably not cost-worthy for those sabers to always have an expensive solution in them. We'll see though.

Oh, and thanks again Gelu, for the ideas on blade diffusion. It appears there are MANY solutions, but I *AM* leaning toward more "even" lighting since it shows up best in higher ambient light. Which is (sometimes) what BOP projects need... :)

Hasid Lafre
09-19-2007, 02:40 AM
So the pex pipe isent clear?

But yet it transmits light like a clear diffused tube.

Thats messed up!

DACOTA
09-19-2007, 07:30 AM
Novastar, thank you too! I've had some nice black'n'blues that spoke plenty of my son's talents with a stick. My saber is a foot longer and he still gets to me...kinda like Yoda and Dooku in AOTC. He's merciless!

Yeah I know, them little kids are all like yodas,even my nephew. :roll: :lol: :D I think I'm going to build a couple of these blades.

Jonitus
09-19-2007, 07:37 AM
I looked around this pathetic college town and only have found PEX in coiled rolls. Where have you found it in straight lengths? Also, what's the maximum length you can run before this stuff starts acting like a spaghetti noodle instead of a rigid blade?

ArkaiHalon
09-19-2007, 07:56 AM
The straigt sections are usually tucked right next to teh copper pipe in home depot, but not clearly marked. the longest I"ve seen is 5feet

as for length, 40 inches waved a bit to much for my taste, but cutting it to 36 (34 outside of blade holder) made a good difference. I've got one that's 30 inches, and it's really solid.

Jedi-Loreen
09-19-2007, 10:37 AM

Oh my god,Finally! :roll:

Ha, that only meant for right then, not forever! :P

DACOTA
09-19-2007, 11:43 AM
Ha, that only meant for right then, not forever! :P

Darn! :wink:

LAN-ED-TUL
09-20-2007, 12:19 AM
so really, this stuff actrs like a polc with a diffuser but isnt clear.

i might have to get a piece and try that out.

i had intended of getting a 3/4 polyc and wrappin a lil colored paper on a dowel rod and insert in the polc just for a hardcore dueler blade.

GeluKhanGharr
09-20-2007, 10:37 AM
Hey guys, thanks for the warm re-welcome :D

PEX pipe is the same material or pretty close (http://www.thecustomsabershop.com/pc-563-16-hd-polyethylene.aspx) to what Tim sell here as the diffuser for the EL blades. The only difference is that you want the straight and larger thing for your LED saber. It is just a white pipe that's translucent, not clear. It looks like this:
http://www.illumisabers.com/diy/parts_07.jpg

The writing on it is a bit nasty and embedded somewhat into the pipe material, so even cleaning it out with acetone will leave some marks behind. Sanding it might make it better, but this material doesn't sand very well, so it won't be that pretty. Again, this is not a replacement to the PolyC pipe, not by a long stretch. It just makes for a good, cheap, practice blade. Also, don't forget it is not 1", only .875", so it won't be interchangeable with your PolyC. You will need to build a copper coupler holder saber to use this pipe.

thejedilestat
04-14-2008, 04:50 AM
i know im going to give this a try but being 200km away from a hardwear store makes it a little hard lol

thank you

Hasid Lafre
04-14-2008, 08:27 AM
Will it fit in the thinwalled polyC blades?

ArkaiHalon
04-14-2008, 09:19 AM
Hasid

I actually just tried that yesterday. It fits like a GLOVE. perfect fit.
I'm going to order a new Poly blade soon, and then make this dual tube design to see how light and durable it is. I'm more aggresive on the PEX as it is more flexable than the Poly, but perhaps the duo will be quite a good Battle blade.

Hasid Lafre
04-14-2008, 09:32 AM
hum sounds intresting. when you get pics post them up.

thejedilestat
04-20-2008, 01:29 AM
ok i picked up some cellophane yesterday but to my shock and dissapointment my Daughters Father(me and my wife adopted her from him) used the PVC for pluming to water some trees in the back yard

so i am out of it for 2 weeks tell i go to town next

should i use a double rap or a quad rap for the PVC blade?

xwingband
04-20-2008, 08:17 AM
For the cellophane? 4 feet or more. If you plan on just the cellophane I'd say 6 at least. Note this is feet, not wraps.

If you have some of Corbin's film use less. With a double wrap of Corbin's I use 40".

Obi-Dar Ke-Gnomie
04-20-2008, 01:42 PM
I've been working on some PVC kiddie sabers, and I thought I would try the PEX for the blades. I found some at Home Depot that was just a little bigger than 1" OD, so I bought it, thinking that I would just sand it down to 1".

What a waste of time and money!

I spent a half hour sanding it down, and making it fit. I taped a small mirror onto the end, just to try it. When I put it in my saber with the P4, it lit up, but not very brightly. A few feet of cellophane helped a little, but it was still pretty dim. When I put it in the saber with the royal blue lux 3, I couldn't see it at all.

Apparently, from the photos above, the results are better with the 3/4" pipe, but I just wanted to warn other people not to use the 1" stuff.

I'll try the smaller stuff, if you folks tell me it's worth it.

thejedilestat
04-20-2008, 06:39 PM
thank you Xwing

Darth Tollo
04-21-2008, 04:33 AM
I've been working on some PVC kiddie sabers, and I thought I would try the PEX for the blades. I found some at Home Depot that was just a little bigger than 1" OD, so I bought it, thinking that I would just sand it down to 1".

What a waste of time and money!

I spent a half hour sanding it down, and making it fit. I taped a small mirror onto the end, just to try it. When I put it in my saber with the P4, it lit up, but not very brightly. A few feet of cellophane helped a little, but it was still pretty dim. When I put it in the saber with the royal blue lux 3, I couldn't see it at all.

Apparently, from the photos above, the results are better with the 3/4" pipe, but I just wanted to warn other people not to use the 1" stuff.

I'll try the smaller stuff, if you folks tell me it's worth it.

Did your sanding make the letters go away?

yattle
07-18-2008, 12:44 AM
ArkaHalon

Your son looks like a great duelist already and I enjoyed the sound and light effects.

Any chance you will continue with the assembly of the LED and sound board? Which sound board did you use and what LED?

yattle a noob

Sohryu76
08-13-2008, 11:48 AM
has anyone else had any experience with trying to light up a 1 inch diamer tube?
I'm not looking for a lightsaber length... maybe a 2 - 3 inch section...

ArkaiHalon
08-13-2008, 12:44 PM
I've only used the 7/8th inch stuff, but at the short lenght you are talking,
it SHOULD light up like a torch. I use very short sections of it as blade plugs, and even a lux 1 lights up bright enough to light a room.

I still need to post pix of my Poly PeX blade

Sohryu76
08-13-2008, 12:51 PM
thanks...
its for a costume project...
and I'm hoping it will work very well... I appreciate it!

Chris

Obi-Dar Ke-Gnomie
08-13-2008, 02:05 PM
Don't use the stuff I used. I was a little over an inch, and I had to do a lot of work to get it to fit, only to find it was too thick walled to let much light through.

I haven't been able to find the smaller stuff to try it, but from the pictures I've seen, it's a lot brighter.

vargose
03-25-2009, 08:01 AM
I know I am reviving a thread, but I thought I would drop some handy information. Arkai told me that you can use piece of thin walled polycarbonate tube as a reducer to secure a PEX blade in the TCSS blade holders. I tried that two nights ago and it worked great. It looked pretty good with my Seoul P4 white.

Pros
Glows to the edge. No "light in a tube" look.
Cheap. Only $5

Cons
Not as bright as polycarbonate with cellophane

I am going to add some cellophane on the inside to see if it brightens it up. I'll post pictures soon

ARKM
03-25-2009, 10:25 AM
I'm guessing another con is that it is nowhere near as strong as 1" OD (3/4" ID) polycarbonate. However since I have no experience with PEX, I could be wrong.

Also, just a note, adding celophane to Corbin's blade film... or anything else for that matter with NOT make the blade brighter. It will actually make it a hair dimmer. All the clear wrap does is help diffuse the light more evenly along the blade which in some cases can give the illusion of it being brighter as the light near the tip may be brighter because it's more evenly diffused.

Also, adding more Corbin film than a single wrap will NOT make the blade brighter. It will make it darker. Again, it just diffuses the light more evenly along the blade. Since I'm all about brightness AND good light diffusion, I only use diffuser tubes.

Sairon
03-25-2009, 10:34 AM
Correct it is not as strong as a PolyC tube.

vargose
03-25-2009, 11:01 AM
I'm guessing another con is that it is nowhere near as strong as 1" OD (3/4" ID) polycarbonate. However since I have no experience with PEX, I could be wrong.

True but its still tough. And its only $5.

You can also use PEX as a diffuser in thin walled polycarbonate.

cardcollector
03-25-2009, 12:32 PM
I'd rather spend $3 more on Tim's thin walled poly-C tube.

But that's just me.;)

vargose
03-25-2009, 12:45 PM
I would much rather have a nylon blade myself

DizzyKungFu
03-26-2009, 12:10 PM
I would much rather have a nylon blade myself

Where does one find the proper nylon tubing? Like this PEX, is that something that can be found at a hardware store too?

vargose
03-26-2009, 01:21 PM
Where does one find the proper nylon tubing? Like this PEX, is that something that can be found at a hardware store too?

PEX can be found in at Lowes or Home Depot.

Nylon can be found at McMaster-Carr

Sairon
03-26-2009, 04:05 PM
Xwingband makes them and sells them.

Ingchao
03-30-2009, 07:00 PM
PEX can be found in at Lowes or Home Depot.

Nylon can be found at McMaster-Carr

Lowes sells straight lengths, Home Depot sells anything bigger than 1/2" in coils. Probably fun to straighten out, too.:rolleyes:

vargose
04-13-2009, 06:59 AM
Check out my PEX Blade (http://forums.thecustomsabershop.com/showpost.php?p=129342&postcount=27) with a Seoul P4 Green

I love that it glows all the way to the edge.

Hasid Lafre
04-13-2009, 07:02 AM
I still think some polyp would help out with the eveness in the middel far edge of the blade.

Jay-gon Jinn
04-13-2009, 07:28 AM
About 4 feet of polyp will help even it out a bit in the middle (If you haven't already added some, that is!). Otherwise, it looks good!

vargose
04-13-2009, 07:52 AM
About 4 feet of polyp will help even it out a bit in the middle (If you haven't already added some, that is!). Otherwise, it looks good!

I'll give it a try. Here is the main thread (http://forums.thecustomsabershop.com/showthread.php?t=7834) for my saber with a PEX blade

Rhyen Skytracker
04-13-2009, 10:15 AM
Lowes sells straight lengths, Home Depot sells anything bigger than 1/2" in coils. Probably fun to straighten out, too.:rolleyes:

Get the straight ones if you can, I got a roll of 25 feet and it can be a pain to straighten.

Sairon
04-13-2009, 10:37 AM
home depot has ten foot pex pieces for cheap.

FullMetalSam
04-14-2009, 04:43 AM
Got a question... is the PEX pipe you're using clear (as in see-through) ???

The only PEX tubing I found was white on the outside, but black on the inside - so needless to say no light is going through the black part.

Are there different kind of PEX ???

Rhyen Skytracker
04-14-2009, 05:37 AM
The PEX I used looks solid white with black writing on it. I would have never thought that light would pass through it, but it does and it works great. You can use a rag with acatone on it to clean the writing off of it.

Sairon
04-14-2009, 06:06 PM
There is 3/4 pex (this is the best kind for blades) and 1 inch which isn't so good for blades. Ive only seen the all white with wrighting on before.

Obi-Dar Ke-Gnomie
04-14-2009, 06:19 PM
The 1" is the stuff I used and complained about a couple of pages back. It's actually slightly bigger than 1" OD, so I had to sand it down a fair bit, only to find that it didn't light up very well at all. I guess the stuff I got was a thicker wall. My local Home Despots didn't have the smaller stuff.

Hasid Lafre
04-14-2009, 07:00 PM
I think if it had a larger ID is would be brighter and a better alternative for a thinwalled blade diffuser.

FullMetalSam
04-14-2009, 07:44 PM
well... what I'm talking about (in 3/4'' ID) looks like this:
http://img.diytrade.com/cdimg/698595/6806431/0/1220422269.jpg
(but inverted - at my local hardware store, the white layer is outside and the black inside)

What you guys are using probably looks like this:
http://www.metals-b2b.com/b2b/pics/Pex_Pipe.jpg

Right ???

Sairon
04-15-2009, 04:57 PM
yeah, all white, mabye you could inquire if they have all white pipes.

FullMetalSam
04-15-2009, 07:30 PM
That's what I did and the guy at my local hardware store told me that they had the all white pipe before... the company supplying them with PEX pipe decided to change it to the black&white sort.

However, I was able to buy from him a 100' roll of what was left of the "old" all white pipe (couldn't buy anything less than that). Wasn't too pricey though - so no big deal. The hard part now is to straighten all those to make blades - still trying to figure out that part :)

Sairon
04-15-2009, 08:03 PM
This may not work, but try putting a dowel through the hole in the tube the warm it and let it cool, it may straighten the blade and hold it straight but it may ruin it.

Thaxos
06-06-2009, 08:44 AM
Yeah at my Home Depot all they had was the white PEX with black interior. I was told it's because water pipes are best off without light being let in. In any case, I found a 52" x 3/4" relief valve drain tube (for a hot water tank) and gave that a shot. I simply stuck the threaded end into the blade holder, it's a snug fit... It seems to light up reasonably, I have no blades to compare it to however. Hopefully I can get some PolyC tube from my cousin as he's in the construction business and would have access to it.
Perhaps someone could help in determining a way to compare the brightness?

Photos:
http://i322.photobucket.com/albums/nn414/Thaxos/IMG_3501.jpg

http://i322.photobucket.com/albums/nn414/Thaxos/IMG_3505.jpg

http://i322.photobucket.com/albums/nn414/Thaxos/IMG_3514.jpg

http://i322.photobucket.com/albums/nn414/Thaxos/IMG_3515.jpg

http://i322.photobucket.com/albums/nn414/Thaxos/IMG_3516.jpg

vargose
06-08-2009, 07:25 AM
Here is another PEX blade

For more info on the saber see full thread (http://forums.thecustomsabershop.com/showthread.php?t=8240)

Rhyen Skytracker
06-08-2009, 10:57 AM
Those PEX blades are pretty cool. They give off a soft glow.

JediMasterDak
06-08-2009, 11:16 AM
Thax, that looks sweet!

Thaxos
06-08-2009, 11:48 AM
Just a reminder, mine is not PEX, but a substitute since they only had PEX with the black interior at my Home Depot.

Here's more photos! Yay!
http://s322.photobucket.com/albums/nn414/Thaxos/Water%20heater%20blade/

JediMasterDak
06-08-2009, 12:34 PM
Yep I read it on the thread and in the box :)

Ingchao
06-08-2009, 06:26 PM
I shoved some 3/4" inside a 1" thin walled poly-c yesterday for a blade for a quickie saber I was building. Came out quite nice. I think the pex added some rigidity to the thin wall. And it was lit to the edge, it looked kinda like the new UltraEdge. (someone mentioned this trick earlier in the thread, I think) But I can confirm the good results.

vargose
07-10-2009, 01:27 PM
Update: Ace Hardware has a type of PEX that is frosted clear. Like the Frosted white polycarbonate tube here at the store. Probably has different look.

2xUltra
08-04-2009, 12:45 PM
This is probably a pretty stupid question, but in what isle would I find the mirrored rosettes? I had no problem locating anything else. I'm using a copper 3/4 cap as a substitute, but it's not very reflective at all.

vargose
08-04-2009, 12:56 PM
This is probably a pretty stupid question, but in what isle would I find the mirrored rosettes? I had no problem locating anything else. I'm using a copper 3/4 cap as a substitute, but it's not very reflective at all.

oooh wouldn't want to get hit by that.

just grab a 7/8 white chair tip and use a nickle as the mirrored surface, but to be honest it looks fine with just the chair tip.

ArkaiHalon
08-04-2009, 01:02 PM

The mirrored rosette I listed in my parts list is found in the same aisle as
the "fasteners". Screws, bolts, and such. It's usually in a pull out drawer