PDA

View Full Version : red led overdriven

fawnheart2000
08-26-2007, 06:53 AM
I was wanting to know if a red lux III could be driven at 3.85v and 1500ma? I know the life expectancy would be shorter but would the 3.85v hurt it even more since the recommended forward v of 2.95. Basicly will I see magic smoke? I'm using an UltraSound board, but the setting for luxIII reds is shot to hell. Thats what happens when you screw up and apply power backwards to the US.

xwingband
08-26-2007, 07:14 AM
It shouldn't actually give the LED that specific voltage... I doubt it's constant current AND constant voltage. That's quite useless for what we need.

If it did I don't think it'd be good for it, but I wouldn't know exactly as heck if I've ever been in a situation where both is usefull.

goldsaberwarrior
08-26-2007, 11:18 AM
Try going for one or the other. You probably never will get exactly how much mah the individual LEDs call for.

xwingband
08-26-2007, 11:43 AM
Try going for one or the other. You probably never will get exactly how much mah the individual LEDs call for.

The Ultraboard has switchable current. It shouldn't have constant voltage because that'd be stupid... what if your particular LED has a higher/lower forward voltage? It's a step down driver like all the others... I see no reason it'd act any different.

I believe the only difference between a K2 and Red III setting would possibly be the curve of the ramp up/down due to the lower forward voltage the Red III would have. Basically I'd try it... I'd be surprised if it didn't work.