PDA

View Full Version : Quick Qustion MR sound with 5w

Crashteam85
08-25-2007, 04:58 PM
My next saber is going to be a 5w and I wanted to run the MR sound board on it, will this work the same as my 3w or will something melt with that much more juice....

Thanks guys!

xwingband
08-25-2007, 05:20 PM
It won't even run if wired like a normal III. You don't want to just add more batteries either as that will make the board fry...

There are some ways of getting it done:
-A relay from the MR board to a resistored setup. I hate relays... some boards work with them and some don't.
-On a battery pack tap it for 4.5V out of the 9V that's more appropriate
-Seperate batteries for light and sound
-5V regulator to board

They all have draws backs be it size, inefficient, or generating heat.

Crashteam85
08-26-2007, 10:16 AM
I think I could live with the seperate batterys for light and sound.

I may need help with a wiring diagram though, my little brain just can't do it in my head like It use to

Thanks!

xwingband
08-26-2007, 10:27 AM
Easiest thing to do would be a DPDT switch. Just wire them seperately on different sides of the circuit. The MR board just doesn't like to play nicely otherwise...

Hasid Lafre
08-26-2007, 08:20 PM
theres a way to do it but you need a voltage regulator.

Crashteam85
08-27-2007, 08:58 AM
If there was a fairly simple way I could get it to work without an extra switch that would be cool, I was kinda praying for a flawless saber on this one because its going to be my Halloween costume prop.

Im not the most inclined when it comes to circuits and such so I may need some further explanation.

Novastar
08-27-2007, 09:25 AM
Then you should stick with a Luxeon III mixed with your MR board.

xwingband
08-27-2007, 09:26 AM
There are two issues to look at this...

Two battery packs or one. A Single pack means you have to tap the packfor the right voltage or use a regulator to not fry the sound. A regulator is hard because they get REALLY hot and practivally deserve their own heatsink.

Two switches vs. one. For one switch you need a DPDT or a Relay. A DPDT is essentially two switches in one so that's relatively easy. The relay option would allow for the simplest switch, but the some board play nice with it and others don't. If it doesn't it's a lot of work to eliminate the crazy chatter it does.

Crashteam85
08-27-2007, 02:28 PM
Xwing, Id be willing to give the relay a try, Can you link me to a wiring diagram of where it would go in the circuit and what kind I would need.

Thanks

Hasid Lafre
08-27-2007, 10:39 PM
the relay only works with the mace mr board, I havent seen it work with any other board.

vortextwist
08-28-2007, 12:54 PM
like x said, sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. just sell the mr board and buy a crystal focus saber core board. you'll be happier!

neophyl
08-28-2007, 02:20 PM
Its funny you should say that a 5v reg gets hot. It doesnt if its wired correctly. Putting it across 9v doesnt make it more than warm under normal operation, its only if you start actually using serious amounts of current through it that it starts to warm up.

If you drive your luxeon (either 3 or 5w) seperately then the regulator is only supplying power to drive the sound. A 1A reg is more than sufficient to do this with no heatsink whatsoever. Next time I have cause to open up my mace conversion I'll take a few pics of the inside.

For me its a relatively simple mod but then again I know a fair bit about circuitry. I dropped both the diodes out on the mace and reworked the pack to be proper 9v, then fitted the 5v regulator to protect the circuitry while still having the 9v available to drive the led. The led resistor gets quite warm as its disapating a fair amount of current but the regulator doesnt.

It does increase the quiescent current somewhat but I can live with that as its less than a CFv1 or 2 used to draw anyway and fitting a kill switch stops it being a factor.

xwingband
08-28-2007, 02:39 PM
I don't like V's but I'm going by Nova's original Flange that used an MR to power a K2 with 7.2V of li-ions. From what Nova said... it got hot.

If it were my saber I wouldn't futz with the V and MR sound anyway. Too much hassle.

Crashteam85
08-28-2007, 08:48 PM
I just got my shipment today of parts, I think I may just wire it up normally with the simple kit and order a Ultrasound when/if they become avalible again. Aside from my Garflex thumbscrew not working with the blade holder I got it is gonna look pretty good.

Stay tuned for pics!

Crashteam85
08-28-2007, 10:26 PM
And just to be sure, the 5w lux will run ok off a single 9v Battery as well as the 6 double A's right? It ran and lit no problem but I wanted to prevent any long term damage. Plus Im suprised that the 5w isnt really any brighter then my other two 3w sabers...

Im having trouble with the 6 AA holder, once I get my pommel fully screwd together the saber shuts off...

Anywho I know Im being a post whore about all this but you guys have been great.