PDA

View Full Version : A tip for those who like the brass look...

darthdan
08-23-2007, 09:56 AM
If you take some sandpaper to an anodized thumbscrew it comes out to match exactly a sink tube that has had the chrome removed.

Darth Lars
08-23-2007, 11:55 AM
That statement sounds wrong to me. Only aluminum can be anodized. Chromed sink pipes are most often made of brass. Aluminum does not look like brass.

I guess that your thumbscrew was originally made of brass and then painted, or something. Btw, it is very difficult to get the anodizing out from the knurls on a thumbscrew, without damaging the pattern.

Hasid Lafre
08-26-2007, 08:49 PM
the black anodized thubscrew that tim sells will wear off over time and become a copper thumbscrew. friend of mine has one.

darthdan
08-28-2007, 02:19 PM
Just my info on the black ones available in the store, different material than the chromed ones. And yes you can't really get every speck of black out of the knurling, but unless you really examine it it looks fine.

Hasid Lafre
08-29-2007, 04:53 AM
I actually like the way they turn out after it fades and weares off. gives it an old used look. which I like in my sabers.

darthdan
08-29-2007, 06:10 AM
Yeah, i guess it doesn't necessarily match the polished brass look. With my hilt i just took the inital layer of chrome off and left a mix of the reddish mid layer and some a little deeper. After letting it just age for a month or so naturally it gives a nice weathered look, and the thumbscrew matches that.

Hasid Lafre
08-29-2007, 08:26 AM
Actually to quicken the brass aging without chemicals or waiting. go mess around with it for a while when your hands are really sweaty.

On mine It was shiny as hell. a couple hours of workout outside with my bro and it started to tarnish right up. that and theres a perminate dirt stain of sorts in my aluminum hilt parts. Only way to take it off is by sanding it.

But it turned out nicly. wish the rest of the parts would age and get dirty quickly.