PDA

View Full Version : CF Sound Fonts by Novastar & CF OWNERS!! :)

Pages : [1] 2

Novastar
08-21-2007, 08:42 PM
"STICKY STYLE" EDIT:

* If you are new to CF and sound fonts, please read this entire thread... :) You'll be glad you did.
* To download CF Sound Fonts, visit Erv's sound & downloads page HERE (http://www.plecterlabs.com/catalog/articles.php?tPath=6&osCsid=0376ce79f30a9205d14fb18780e39377).
* To download CF Sound Fonts not normally available on Erv's site at Plecterlabs.com, check out Delmustator's thread HERE (http://www.thecustomsabershop.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3854).
---------------------------------------------

Hi everyone...

Glad you all are enjoying these. There is another one on the way actually! It should blow everyone's socks off--mainly because it's... well... almost too psycho for a saber. Recommended for insane people only (which is pretty much all of us)... :)

I promised X-Wing that he would be the first (along with Erv) to know what it was, so... be patient until it's out, heheheh. Basically X-Wing mentioned "Hemi" for a sound font, and it gave me an idea. Wasn't for a hemi font, but... might be better.

Finally... (IMPORTANT)

Balance of Power is a pretty expensive project... they come out of my pocket, and I've no real recourse to re-couping my losses other than in giving back to SW fans in general... so... If ANY of you guys actually like BOP I & II... or the sound fonts I've been able to offer you... ANY small donation (via PayPal) to the cause would be greatly appreciated.

$1, $2 or $5 donations would be great. Personally, I think the fonts alone are worth a few bucks... I really did spend a lot of time trying to make them so that they would really stand out, be unique, yet not sound artificial. If you've any thoughts on this--that would be great.

What I may eventually have to do--is open up a "BOP Fund" to help the projects stay alive, continue to grow, and also attempt to keep using cutting edge technology. After all--that WOULD be in line with my biz name.

Cheers!! And wait until you hear the new font... it'll kick your BUTTS! Ok, someone ELSE's butt... ;)

--Novastar

Ravage179
08-21-2007, 09:24 PM
Is paypal to your email ok?
I would like to donate $10 to your fund 5 from me and 5 from my girlfriend.
I'll send it to you next week keep em coming we all love bop 1 & 2!
and I am also a big fan of your fonts I am working on couple of my own,
can't wait to the next font!

Novastar
08-21-2007, 10:14 PM
Hi Ravage! Thanks... your support REALLY makes a difference. I'm very glad people have already replied!

Best e-mail to use for donation:
"payment@thecuttingedge.s5.com"

You can send to "novastar" or "jedi" or "saber" or "sabre" too. I put a lot of names in there so it's easy for people.

8/23/07 UPDATES:

* Soon to be released... CHAINSAW FONT!!! :shock: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: yes, you read correctly, do not adjust your screen...
* Soon to be released... KUNG FU FIGHTIN'!!! 8) Now you cats can be fast as lightnin'...
* Selection sounds completed for Novastar, Blackstar, Steel Sword, Ancient Saber, Chainsaw
* Other selection sound options
* Will add selection sounds for the new Kung Fu font as well

THANKS EVERYONE!!!!

erv
08-23-2007, 09:53 AM
it's already there ! time zone, you'll never get us... great work nova,
worked hard too today to finish assembling / cutting / converting those, plus shooting a video :lol:

- the last 2 sound fonts, plus a few things, I'll double post in the buttered toast thread : chainsaw and kungfu demos
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7olVBHya9Xo

enjoy,
Erv'

Novastar
08-23-2007, 06:16 PM
In order to provide some more interesting fonts for the future, I want to get suggestions--hopefully with at least SOME detail of your requests. Then, I'll organize those requests into a poll and see what the general saber community is looking for in future fonts. If you don't like 'em, make your own! :)

Remember--your CF card does NOT have to just be in a saber... in the future, it could be a shield, or a firearm, an axe prop, whip, or whatever. Here's some of the fonts I had in mind:

* Whip -- possibly both "normal" and "lightwhip"
* Electrostaff -- might be worth a shot
* SW Blaster fonts -- for Erv's upcoming blaster project
* Machine gun / shotgun font -- as for above
* Magic Staff / wand???

Just for fun... Nintendo Geek fonts...
--Zelda
--Metroid
--Mario

--General Mayhem font -- goofy movie lines, sounds, chicken clucking, etc.
--TechnoSaber -- more of beatbox with "mixing" by waving the saber, clashing it, lol
-- Mechanical Saber -- X-wing requested this, so I'd have to understand more details...
-- Corbin's Killer Bee Font -- he is working on that one...

Looking forward to suggestions...

xwingband
08-23-2007, 07:43 PM
-- Mechanical Saber -- X-wing requested this, so I'd have to understand more details...

I'll get you a description soon. Basically your ancient is to electronic as mine is to mechanical. I'm thinking an opposite or counterpoint.

killphil
08-23-2007, 10:16 PM
Looking forward to suggestions...

I'd just like to hear more saber font sounds.

Maybe an OT Jedi sound, and perhaps an OT Sith sound. Like a Vader ESB hum(more of a moan, if you ask me...).

Like in this video(except w/out the pauses between loops and transitions, of course :wink: )

http://www.hyperdynelabs.com/saber/v2_red1.avi

That's the ultimate saber hum IMO.

Perhaps the Jedi sound could resemble Luke's in ESB with the Luke ROTJ ignition(I think they gave him that ignition in the DVD of ESB, anyway so it'd be accurrate).

Would love to have 2 sabers, one with each font i it. Hope you could do something here...

erv
08-23-2007, 11:49 PM
I think I have in my inbox a SF made by judgesabersmith, not tested yet. The "Zen" font, made of tibetan singing I think.

Nova, I'll be pleased to make a special mention on the website so that people can donate. But for that :
- add a sound font section on your website, something like saber sound design. Could be in the left menu of BOP for instance. Put there some description of your work, and link to my page for DL.
- add a paypal donate button. The code is available from paypal.
- do the same somewhere in the BOP page. "You like BOP ? Please Support us. BOP is not getting special funding blablabla"

Erv'

Novastar
08-24-2007, 12:10 AM
Great idea Erv! Thanks for thinking of me. Often, I forget to (or do not have time to) make a good setup on my website and put together donation possibilities and all that jazz.

Glad to hear Jonitus (JudgeSaberSmith) is making another font! I believe that is the WHOLE idea... for everyone to start throwing their hats into the ring so-to-speak, so that eventually we have so many choices, a CF owner could not POSSIBLY be "disappointed" with their saber fonts.

As to an "OT" sound set, indeed those are good ideas... first I am focusing on more unique and original configurations (as you can all see with the 6 I've made), and I'll probably stay with that for a LEEEETLE bit more, and then go for pulling the sounds directly from archives from the movies and all that jazz.

Thanks again everyone!

killphil
08-24-2007, 12:16 AM
As to an "OT" sound set, indeed those are good ideas... first I am focusing on more unique and original configurations (as you can all see with the 6 I've made), and I'll probably stay with that for a LEEEETLE bit more, and then go for pulling the sounds directly from archives from the movies and all that jazz.

Thanks again everyone!

Well, I look forward to your OT fonts when they come. I hope you don't get TOO sidetracked on those other ones.

I know everyone likes to be unique and all, and no offense, but I really have no desire for my saber to sound like anything other than a lightsaber.

I'd love to make my own, but I have no idea how, and as I understand it, they are VERY difficult to do, but I can see your need for some kind of monetary compensation. I'll see what I can do...

Novastar
08-24-2007, 12:31 AM
Thanks Phil, that is extremely generous of you! Far more than I'd ever have expected! MERCI.

I completely understand about the OT sound and PT ideas... no offense is taken!!

In fact, the point of getting everyone's thinking is to figure out what the folks out there want.

For those reading, if you know of other boards (such as the fx-sabers.com, etc.) and post there regularly, tell them to stop in at this link and throw in their thinking or opinions.

If they don't want to login to TCSS, have them message me via e-mail or TF.N (where I am greytalenovastar1138).

So... that makes sense, people want:

* OT -- Good guy saber sound font
* OT -- Bad guy saber sound font
* PT -- Good guy saber sound font
* PT -- Bad guy saber sound font

Again, makes sense! It's hard to believe... we... don't have those out there somewhere yet??? Yikes! I'd best get ON it...

killphil
08-24-2007, 12:39 AM
Not a problem. I have been so impressed with your saber fonts thus far, and understanding how difficult it is to make them...well...I'm sure that I'm not the only one who appreciates these fonts. I mean that Darkstar soundfont by itself is easily worth....alot.

I'm sure that I'll eventually take a crack at a soundfont myself....just so I can say I tried, and who knows, maybe it'll turn out halfway decent?

*edit* I dropped a link over at FX-Sabers.

Novastar
08-24-2007, 01:03 AM
You should. As with anything--there is always a learning curve. Letting that daunt you goes against everything that life is about.

For those reading... you think I *KNEW* exactly how BOP I was going to turn out? Or that I knew anything at all about electronics when it was December of 2005 and I was just getting the ball rolling on design with Corbin??! HAH. Ask Corbin if you like. I knew jack. Nothing. I mean NOTHING.

Same for working on Erv's sound setups. Granted, I knew how to work with sound, and a little bit about the idea of the "zero crossing" point... but mixing for his SD card & driver was a new ballpark to play in.

Still, his mixer utility is MAAAAAHVELOUS, I highly recommend it... it is "so choice" as Bueller might have said...

Once you get the idea of the order of operations on how to proceed without having to backtrack, making a font becomes pretty fun, just time consuming and requires precision to get it right.

MAKING A SOUND FONT FOR CF...

1. Pick a concept. Whether Luke ESB or Vader ROTJ... whatever you want.
2. Create a loopable hum sound that is not overly erratic, and also not too short. I recommend at least a 5 second loop.
3. Set the volume range of the hum sound to about 0.5/0.6dB or effectively a bit more than "half" of the volume you're going to make your other sounds at.
4. AVOID distortion by not pushing the limits of any sound past 1dB, which will cause distortion--especially on an inferior speaker later on. You should physically SEE a waveform... not a solid block of graphics!!!
5. Get to work on your clashes, swings, etc. I recommend making each swing or clash progressively more... complex/aggressive/neato. By the time you get to #s 6,7,8 you should have sounds that are a bit longer and/or robust.
6. Have a look to make sure the waveforms on these sounds are "maximized", yet they do NOT go wildly over 1dB. Again--avoid distortion, it will ruin the entire thing!

After that is where it can get tricky, since you must now mix the hum sound OVER (or is that under) most all of your effects. The reason it becomes tricky is... well... when you cause a clash or swing and then the driver "returns" to the "empty" hum sound... if you don't align everything fairly well, your ears/mind will detect the inorganic skip or hard cut back to a sound that doesn't match.

To avoid this--do your best to add your hum sound into a clash or swing or whatever... and have it be AT THE END OF ITS LOOP just as it is finishing playback of the clash/swing itself.

This way, as the clash/swing "ends"... the empty hum sound is called upon, and is naturally started at the beginning of the sound. If you've done things correctly--you'll hardly be able to tell that any "skipping" occurred.

Not all of my fonts have this perfection in them, as sometimes--if you're sneaky... :) ... it won't matter. But if you want to get it right, that's the work for you!

There are other things to look for, as Erv's board allows for that cool pitch shift thing. Well... you have to make sure your sounds are pretty "midrange" pitch-wise, otherwise using pitch change might sound pretty lousy. BUT... what happens when you are making a "Yoda"-ish font (like Nova font) or a Vader-ish font (like Blackstar)... and the sounds inherently begin higher or lower pitched?

Ah. Creative thinking will always come into play in making a font for CF... or sound design in general!

Cheers!

Ravage179
08-24-2007, 06:06 AM
i was thinking monty python black knight font, have the music looped in the background, standard sword swoops and clashes , "your arms off... no it isn't "for blaster, a barrage of taunts for the lockup, "the black knight always triumphs!" for force push" and for power down "running away are you, you yellow b----!"

I think that would be crazy!

Barmic Rin
08-24-2007, 06:20 AM
I love it Rav!

I think it was Maul that was going to do the chicken set. Has anyone got round to that one yet?
I just picture the one from Hot Shots part Deux everytime I think on it!
Maybe even put a MHS inside a rubber chicken for the full effect!

Jonitus
08-24-2007, 09:24 AM
The font Erv has in his inbox is another "standard" lightsaber font, but it has some neat new sounds to it and should be pleasing to the ear. When Erv gets the time to put it up on the website, give it a listen.

I am still working on my "Zen" font. I am sampling throat signing and electric guitar feedback for the hum, squelch and whatnot for the power on and power off sounds. It's a lot of work to make it nice, but I think it will be nice when done.

Novastar
08-24-2007, 11:43 AM
Sweet, Jon... looking forward to it!

Novastar
08-26-2007, 04:19 PM
Ok, a new sound font is on its way to Erv...

SW Episode II sounds!

I realize this may or may not be a sound set everyone is looking for, but I felt that the EP II sounds did have some fairly distinguishable tones/pops/smacks/whatever. I'll create an Episode IV font later on, and possibly a Luke ESB one, depending on what people are looking for.

Most of these new Ep II sounds are direct copies of Ben Burtt's sounds, although a few have been altered in small ways.

However, ONE new thing I gave a shot to was making the "force.raw" sound a lightning effect that actually lasts for a long time. I personally love how that one turned out, in addition to the new blaster deflection sound I made for this font.

Hope everyone enjoys this one and can provide some feedback... I don't know how any of my fonts sound in v2.x because I do not own one! :)

As it is, I was a bit concerned with the Kung Fu Fightin' font since the "music" may have had too much bass sound for our implementation (usually without bass ability).

Anyhow... happy weekend.

xwingband
08-26-2007, 04:25 PM
OOO!!! Lightning! I was having a heck of a time finding a decent one. I hope it sounds good.

Kyp Durron
08-26-2007, 05:51 PM
I would like to have a wide selection of saber fonts from both the PT and OT.

I really want a true Luke ROTJ sound font...I pretty much have the iginition and retraction on the "Special" sound font on Erv's board, I just wish it had the actual idle hum to go with it.

I think it would be great to have the character specific sounds for those who are making a "Luke", "Vader", etc... saber.

Although I really like the "Steel Sword" sound font... :P

-Kyp

Ravage179
08-26-2007, 07:21 PM
I dont know if its the speaker madcow used in my hilt but the kung fu sound font sounds really kick butt, I was thinking the same thing with the force lightning for the push as a different setting in a darkside saber as well, can't wait to check it out.

Novastar
08-27-2007, 09:09 AM
I would like to have a wide selection of saber fonts from both the PT and OT.

I really want a true Luke ROTJ sound font...I pretty much have the iginition and retraction on the "Special" sound font on Erv's board, I just wish it had the actual idle hum to go with it.

I think it would be great to have the character specific sounds for those who are making a "Luke", "Vader", etc... saber.

Although I really like the "Steel Sword" sound font... :P -KypLike I said, I'm all over it... I'll see what can be done. Just remember: BOP & the sound font guru needs your help!!! Donate even a *few* bucks, and it makes a difference. Guess I'm saying, whatever you guys think 7 sound fonts are worth (+ the upcoming ones) and BOP I - III. ;)

As to the lightning, yes... I made that so that anyone can literally pull that sound out of the font and use it in any saber font. It's true that with its current "mix" with the hum it may not match other fonts people have, but I can just as easily release a "Force Effects" package sometime that does NOT come pre-mixed. Essentially allowing the sounds to fit with whatever hum you wish... you would have to mix it though. Not too hard.

Let's see, it would go something like:

* The 3 or 4 blaster deflects I've created...
* The lightning effect (trust me, it's good)
* Some stock Force Push effects
* Some stock Choke effects
* something else....???

By the way, I just noticed I need to update one of the Episode II clash sounds... two of the sounds are identical.

killphil
08-29-2007, 02:04 PM
Ok, a new sound font is on its way to Erv...

SW Episode II sounds!

Now THIS I am looking forward to. Is it a light side or darkside sound, or were there gonna be both? Either way, this will be a soundfont I'll be implementing for sure, once it becomes available.

Thanks, Nova!

Novastar
08-29-2007, 08:28 PM
Hi killphil... well, using the alternate power on sound, you could certainly go "dark" with it... plus, the lightning sound effect is most CERTAINLY deadly... :)

Until Erv gets a chance to upload it, you can simply e-mail me about it if you can't wait.

Although I do need to change one of the clash sounds which is identical to another (by accident).

Novastar
08-30-2007, 02:49 PM
More CF sound updates...

* Updating Episode II font... a few sounds needed some tweaking... COMPLETE!
* Creating an Episode IV font... so you can feel a bit more "Alec Guiness" and enjoy the classic saber sounds!.... NEARLY COMPLETE!
* Playing around with a possible "video game" font just for the heck of it...
* Creating a "Force Effects" package, which pretty much will contain stand-alone sounds that you simply need to mix with your hum sound, then add to your saber! Lightning is sounding FANTASTIC, and it's pretty much the only one that is solely mixed by myself. The remainder sounds come from the movies and/or the video games. I particularly like the "Force Blind" effect from Jedi Knight I.
* Hoping to work more with Jonitus to make his "Zen" font a reality...
* Hopefully "character specific" sound fonts as the months progress into 2008... but many sounds overlap per each SW character... so no promises on them all being unique for EVERY sound! :)

Again, if any of you have some sounds you'd like me to use in a font... send them!

With any luck, very soon, all CF users will have a very wide variety of sound fonts to choose from!

Luke-SkyMarcher
09-02-2007, 01:45 PM
A font I'd like to see is a "damaged saber" font, somewhat similar to the ancient saber. Something that just paints a mental picture of a blade looking like it's about to go out on nearly every clash, while flickering erratically the rest of the time, with a power-up like it's just barely able to turn on, and a power-down that sounds like it just "died", rather that shut down properly. In the saber this could be combined with turning up the flicker speed and flicker depth parameters very high, so the blade matches the sound for a convincing look.

-Luke

Jonitus
09-02-2007, 05:27 PM
Not to steal Novastar's thunder, but there now exists, thanks to yours truly, an ACCURATE Luke Skywalker ROTJ sound schema. Not gonna say too much, but it's rad. I still need to do the mixdown and cut and convert, but that's just a matter of time.

Gimme a couple of days, and I'll ship it off to Erv so he can put it on the website.

Novastar
09-02-2007, 05:36 PM
By all means, make more fonts! The more the better... :)

UPDATES:

Jon's Episode VI Luke font is now on Erv's site... go check it out if you're a Luke sounds fan!!

I finally completed the Episode IV font, and it's in Erv's hands now. He's pretty busy working on CF and probably other things, so it may be a bit, but--it's all set up for folks now.

The Episode II font is also in Erv's hands, so be patient with that...

I'm currently working on a "Flame/Fire" kind of weapon... we'll see which direction it goes... :)

erv
09-04-2007, 12:46 AM
I'd love to see a flame thrower thing... would be perfect for blaster core :wink:

I've put online jonitus SF, I'm a bit "late" for nova ones (I'm working about 12 hours a day, at least, promise)

Novastar
09-04-2007, 04:50 PM
Don't worry Erv... I hope no one is in a rush. Plenty of time to install new fonts as they come out! :)

Force Effects package is almost here!

vortextwist
09-04-2007, 07:21 PM
I got an idea. a transformers one. transform sound for power up/power down. Kind of a weird data transfer sound for clash (like I heard in the movies) I'm not sure how to describe it.

Novastar
09-04-2007, 11:36 PM
That might be better for one of Erv's upcoming blasters (unknown as to when or if, btw)... but I had indeed thought about that...

Problem is... there are only so many ways you can go with it, unless it's basically a "kung fu" martial arts style with a transform up / transform down thing.

Also--I don't know if I would go with the "old" transform noises from the TV series/80's movie, or with the "new" ones.

I haven't seen the new movie yet, btw, so--bugger me, huh...!!!! :)

Novastar
09-11-2007, 12:10 AM
Ok... the "Force Effects" package is pretty much complete. :)

Erv still hasn't had time to upload my Episode II & Episode IV fonts, so be patient with him. He'll have more time after he gets out all the 2.61 boards to those who ordered, and updates the manual with the new parameters/descriptions.

I'm trying to complete a few other fonts, but my schedule is about to go back to "insane" as it always does as September/October rolls around. But, things to look forward to:

* "Inferno" font (some kind of flame weapon)
* Whip font (Indiana Jones fans, eat your heart out)
* Some kind of "Zen" font... I sure hope to give Jonitus what he's looking for, but if I'm unable to do so, I've always had a sort of "nature/mystical" font in mind
* Super Mario meets Zelda meets Final Fantasy, etc. -- this will actually be harder than I first imagined, as it might be lame to "stick" with some old NES theme... I'm going to try to envelope all the years past and present of some good well-known games, but... I ain't making 30 different fonts for this!! :)

Again, BOP & the sound fonts really need your support! I rarely ask for major support from friends, family, or anyone else, but... this is one time in my life I need it the most! Even $1 or $5 can make a GIGANTIC difference in what can be done for BOP III, future BOPs, and as a general thanks for the sound fonts...

Finally, if any of you want the EP II, EP IV or "Force Effects" packages earlier--and you can't wait until Erv posts them on his site... just e-mail or message me.

Peace...

Novastar
09-17-2007, 04:23 AM
More updates...

I've been working on improving the Blackstar & Novastar fonts, as well as looking very closely at controlling the dynamic range of sounds given our purposes. The real problem here is that there are SO many little speakers out there, and not all are created equal. Additionally, some sounds contain more bass while others do not.

For our purposes, bass can be the enemy. Unfortunate, but... sometimes true, depending on the sounds!

Additionally, the flame font is coming along, and I've updated the Kung Fu "hum" sound to loop a bit longer and not be so annoying with the "auto-whacks" that you hear.

* Force choke/grip is now created...
* An entire "blaster sequence" has been created...
* Ancient Saber finally gets its own *matching* "force" and "blaster" sounds...
* Zen font is going to be a tough one, but I know it'll be a beauty when I figure it out, hopefully with Jon!!
* Made some "nostalgic" Super Mario sounds along with music from Zelda, Metroid, Mario, and other games we've all heard of from long ago or recently...
* Menu option sounds that both describe the font and mix a sound FROM the font with it... nice!

I imagine with the new run of v2.61 boards, people will have a BLAST with being able to setup all sorts of sound choices...

erv
09-17-2007, 04:43 AM
I've posted ep II and IV sound fonts on the website. I have to totally redo and remix ancient saber with the new sounds, I have to find some time for that.
Erv'

killphil
09-17-2007, 06:22 AM
Man, those sounds are NIIIIICE!!!!! You really outdid yourself here, Nova :D

Jonitus
09-17-2007, 11:08 AM
I found THE hum for the Zen font. In all the places, it's on a music CD I was listening to as I was driving back from lunch. I need to grab a sample and play with it a bit, but it's the right tone, the right pitch, the right feeling.

Back to your regularly scheduled programming...

Angelus Lupus
09-17-2007, 11:50 AM
I'm trying to come up with a saber design unique/personal enough to be worth making and worthy of buttered toast. In the meantime I've had a crazy idea of making a Star Trek sound font for erv's board. I was thinking of the engine 'throbing' pulsing sound for the hum, with maybe warp noises for power up/down.
It requires more thinking and finding suitable sample sounds, but it might be crazy enough to work

Edit: Turns out tractor beam sounds are darn near perfect for power on, hum and power off. I think this is do-able

Novastar
09-17-2007, 05:10 PM
I found THE hum for the Zen font. In all the places, it's on a music CD I was listening to as I was driving back from lunch. I need to grab a sample and play with it a bit, but it's the right tone, the right pitch, the right feeling.

Back to your regularly scheduled programming...Awesome Jon, that is great to hear... let me know if you want me to send you anything I've come up with as well. One thing is for certain... if I can't come up with something to help you, I will at LEAST make a sort of "Zen Nature" font or whatever... you know, something peaceful, mystical... although it may not really sound like an "SW" saber.

Personally, my entire direction is to help exploit the variety of ways CF can be used... after all... there are only SO many sounds Ben Burtt made for swings and clashes, and they all tend to sound the same to me after a while.

As it is--my Episode II font (although it's ok)... is nothing special to me. I like the EP IV one--it's more distinguishable to the Obi v. Vader days. Ep II had some really weird "plonky" saber swings and the clashes seemed to be a mixture.

I'd like to hear people's comments about what they think the differences are from EP I-III. Also, I really didn't notice all THAT much difference from EP V to EP VI in terms of saber sounds other than the ignition noise everyone likes--the "piercing" one.

Force effects package... coming soon!

xwingband
09-17-2007, 07:22 PM
Personally I like the generics you have made. Getting too specific is pointless like you say. They are all so similar.

There is a point where you are splitting hairs on the amount of DISTINGUISHABLE tone and speed differences there are to make different fonts.

killphil
09-18-2007, 11:58 AM
As it is--my Episode II font (although it's ok)... is nothing special to me. I like the EP IV one--it's more distinguishable to the Obi v. Vader days. Ep II had some really weird "plonky" saber swings and the clashes seemed to be a mixture.

I do love that Ep II font, but maybe a remedy to those "plunky" sounds, as you call them(I noticed em too, BTW) would be to take some swings and clashes that we KNOW sound good from other sound fonts you have made. I absolutely LOVE that idle hum and it is perfect in every way and at least half the swings sound perfect, so maybe keep those?

Just replace the plunky swings and clashes with similar sounding ones from Darkstar or Novastar and I think the font would be perfect IMO.

Oh, and the blade lock up is incredible IMO.

Novastar
09-18-2007, 04:21 PM
Actually... after listening with "fresh ears" (now that it's been a while since I had to design it)... I actually *DO* like my EP II font.

The plonky sounds and swings for EP II distinguish it, and although it's "weird", well... we would say this for Ancient Saber as well!

All a question of what our ears are "trained" for. I'm hoping to UN-train them so that new and interesting fonts can have a chance over "canon-SW-don't-you-dare-use-a-different-sound" fonts. :)

And killphil--*NO* I would not want to replace one font's sounds with the Nova or Blackstar stuff... that would defeat the purpose... the goal is to make each font unique in almost every way possible.

90% of every font I make is different from the next one... and sometimes it is 100% different!!!

* Updates to Ancient Saber has been made/uploaded!
* Kung Fu "hum" sound gets revamped--a bit less annoying now...
* PHOENIX FLAME SWORD now complete! We'll see about uploading it soon enough...

erv
09-19-2007, 09:14 AM
phoenix online ! (preview is missing, I know)
updated chainsaw package online !

xwingband
09-19-2007, 05:25 PM
Ep2 one is okay... BUT the Ep4 font is like poop my pants awesome. When I get my next paypal payment you're going to get a cut.

Anyone want to buy my spare parts? LOL

killphil
09-19-2007, 08:38 PM
And killphil--*NO* I would not want to replace one font's sounds with the Nova or Blackstar stuff... that would defeat the purpose... the goal is to make each font unique in almost every way possible.

90% of every font I make is different from the next one... and sometimes it is 100% different!!!

Oh, OK. I didn't really mean swapping out all the sounds, just maybe a couple of the swings was all. Just an idea...

Hasid Lafre
09-20-2007, 06:48 AM
Thats actuall a pritty sweet idea.

I'm trying to come up with a saber design unique/personal enough to be worth making and worthy of buttered toast. In the meantime I've had a crazy idea of making a Star Trek sound font for erv's board. I was thinking of the engine 'throbing' pulsing sound for the hum, with maybe warp noises for power up/down.
It requires more thinking and finding suitable sample sounds, but it might be crazy enough to work

Edit: Turns out tractor beam sounds are darn near perfect for power on, hum and power off. I think this is do-able

Angelus Lupus
09-20-2007, 07:04 AM
Thanks, if I broaden my scope and source sounds from some of the games I have, I should be able to get something unique but saber-esque. Doubt I'll match Novastar in quallity (and certainly not in quantity)

Novastar
09-21-2007, 01:05 AM
Ep2 one is okay... BUT the Ep4 font is like poop my pants awesome. When I get my next paypal payment you're going to get a cut.

Anyone want to buy my spare parts? LOLThanks X... it is sorely needed. BOP III is in dire straits regarding funding. Well, that ultimately means myself, really. I guess I'd be a lot better off if I hadn't spent so much on BOP I and BOP II. But that is life.

What are these "spare" parts? Perhaps I could use them? I really don't know...

Novastar
09-21-2007, 01:09 AM
Thanks, if I broaden my scope and source sounds from some of the games I have, I should be able to get something unique but saber-esque. Doubt I'll match Novastar in quallity (and certainly not in quantity)I am in full support of you, Angelus. It does not matter about quantity and all of that... just take your time, and if you've any questions--ASK. I'm here.

I am constantly learning from Erv, Corbin, Edwin... myself... you name it. My fonts are *FAR* from perfect. In fact, I've had to re-work nearly ALL of them recently after discovering X, Y and Z. Nothing others might notice though, hehehe....

Finally, best thing is to choose a concept focus first and go from there. I have trouble when my font doesn't have a clear direction. It becomes difficult.

As for Episode II for X-Wing... that's what the sounds are like... I cannot change it... it's what Ben Burtt had going on! Well, for Episode II. :)

Novastar
09-22-2007, 03:37 AM
Phoenix Pyre Sword sound font released!

Enjoy...

Hopefully we'll start getting some sort of "default" config files set up. Heaven knows, I could use people's help with this. If anyone has any cool config files they want to share that sort... how do we say it... "match up" with the given fonts they've installed--I'd love to see them. I know Erv already has some cool ones for the LEDs though...

For example, I imagine the Phoenix Pyre Sword glowing a bit more like a pulsing style... maybe with a super fast flicker???

Steel Sword--static blade, maybe only a non-visual amount of current regulation/flickering. Love Madcow's request for Erv to do instant on/off... perfect for Steel Sword too...

Ancient Saber--a lot of wild "digging" into the current, and a lot of randomness...

Chainsaw--probably somewhat similar to Ancient...

Kung Fu... I honestly have no idea.

Hoping others can help with this!!

erv
09-22-2007, 11:35 AM
For the kung fu, like eandori suggested, simply no light (since now you can turn the current to really 0). Wave the hilt like a ninja knife or something, and scream !
I'm going to make some config files with the advices and proposals from nova (and others).

Phoenix preview MP3 online
Updated chainsaw preview MP3 online (I simply added a second MP3 with the new version containing "explicit lyrics" :wink: )

Erv'

Novastar
09-30-2007, 09:46 PM
Some more updates:

* I have to "repair" the Episode IV darkside font (maybe even the EP II one), since the hum sound is too soft during clashes/swings, and "dips" in and out...

* Some "font intro" selection sounds have been sent to Erv... don't know if those will get posted, but I'm trying to fix some of those as well...

* Unique configuration files per each font are almost complete... so all the end-user will eventually have to do... is just wire the board up and enjoy using whatever fonts they put in banks 1-6...

* Chainsaw needs some tweaking--Duke's voice isn't coming out as clearly as I'd like, but that may be due to the clips coming from Duke Nukem 3d--a game from back in the 90's I think... :)

* Mixed up some nice renditions of music from old video games, including Zelda, Mario, Phantasy Star, Chronotrigger, Deus Ex, and a few more. More to come.

* Whip font being worked on... ;)

Angelus Lupus
10-01-2007, 06:18 AM
Might as well post here rather than set up a 'Soundfonts by Lupus' thread:

*Chicken saber completed and sent to erv

*Star Trek font just needs swings (which are harder than expected, surprisingly the force push was easy)

*Next will probably be a cat font, tho I have another idea forming.

xwingband
10-01-2007, 09:16 AM
Whip font?!?! Can we have some Indiana Jones clips in there? :D

Novastar
10-01-2007, 02:22 PM
Of course! :)

I mentioned earlier in the thread that I think I wanted to release it just as Lucas and Spielburg release Indy IV...

I'll see what I can do--I hope I have enough time to do it justice. But... you guys know that I like to make the stuff sound pretty quality... ;)

Novastar
10-02-2007, 12:36 AM
Whoa, I just realized that Indy IV is WAAAAY further away than I expected. May??? Geez.

Looks like the whip font will be coming earlier than THAT! ;)

Also... I'm doing my best to figure out how I'm going to stuff the extra LEDs, motor, and extra switch in my Flange sabers... there's not a lot of room in there, being that they're only 10.5" hilts.

Here is some preview video of the saber innards before I put it together.
http://youtube.com/watch?v=vp8GI7jz1tk

When I get it all together, I'll post video of it as well. It took me about 8 hours to wire up in total... but TONS of time configuring all of the wonderful sound banks and music tracks and parameters Erv's CF has to offer!! It was worth it. The 6 banks sound AMAZING... I just love them...

It's hardly de-railing my own topic too, since I'll be able to really demonstrate all of the fonts. I can hardly wait, heheh...

killphil
10-02-2007, 04:10 PM
Is there a difference between the Darkstar font and the Blackstar?

Novastar
10-02-2007, 11:33 PM
Good question. Yes and no.

Yes in the sense that my latest mixes for the 16-bit v2 of Erv's board... have some differences to get mixing/volume levels better than initially, and also adds some new effects.

No in the sense that Erv mistakenly used to call the font "Darkstar" instead of "Blackstar". :) EDIT: Merci a Erv pour corrige' a la nom de font!! :D

Finally, regarding ALL of my fonts--I'm going to keep adjusting and tweaking all of them to flesh out all of the possible pops & clicks, and/or volume issues. Basically, to try to maximize/optimize the fonts to work the best for our purposes (small, miniature speakers--capable of only so much dynamic range/ability to avoid distortion).

erv
10-02-2007, 11:45 PM
oups oups oups... I kind of noticed that... when you sent me the selection sounds for the vocal menu... Blackstar is totally fine to me too... it's actually the translation of what we have in french for the Death Star, which was maybe translated as étoile de la mort for the first ANH version, but then was call étoile noire... Sounds great ! I'm correcting the website right now
Erv'

Novastar
10-09-2007, 11:11 PM
1138th post! Sorry, had to say it. :) OK... so, updates:

* Angelus, way to go with the chicken font! Erv has been asking for that for a while, so I'm glad you were able to fulfill on it... :)

* I've optimized all of the fonts except for correct dynamic range, volume, "blending" of the hum, and added/adjusted as much fun stuff to them as I think I could.

Exceptions are: Episode II--need to optimize it... and Steel Sword... I want to make the "force" and "blaster" sounds a bit more unique. Ideas? I was thinking Princess Bride stuff for these, heheh...

* Whip font still being worked upon. I'm getting some help from Jonitus I hope, in order to utilize the right quality for music and lines/quotes. I don't have the DVDs of Jones, I have the VHS set!!!! heheheh Me soooo old. :)

* Menu description sounds for Novastar, Blackstar, Ancient Saber, Phoenix Pyre, Kung Fu, Episode II, Episode IV, Steel Sword, Chainsaw... + "iSaber", boot sounds, and menu configuration sound. Should be available on Erv's site in due time. If you want them sooner, PM or e-mail me.

* Force Effects package is ready... now I just need to get it to Erv for upload/downloads!

That's it for now. Here's hoping we eventually start seeing videos of people's Plecter sabers and a vast variety of sound fonts in them! I, for one, am very much looking forward to seeing OTHERS make new fonts that are really unique. I think there are many lightsaber sounds (all thanks going to Ben Burtt), but not much in the way of...

* Lightning swords
* Flame swords/weapons
* Staff/whip/steel/whatever
* Really unique sounding things (such as Ancient for example)

Shadeslinger
10-22-2007, 07:41 PM
Hi everyone! 1st post, but I've been reading thru this forum for many months now. After trying hasbro, MR, and Ultras new board it's time I got myself some Toast action. I'll be starting work on a sound font for my (future) personal saber the "Seraphim". It's a polished aluminum and brass design with a K2 white that I want to have a kind of 'holy' sound to it. I've discovered some wonderful sounds from the game Legacy of Kain: Defiance that will do nicely for this. For clash, start-up, idle-hum, blade lockup, and force push I got the sounds I want to mix I think. It's just power down and blaster deflection I still haven't found yet. I'll post results when the fonts are finished.....uh,... just don't expect them anytime soon. :wink:

Btw Novastar, love your sound work!

Novastar
10-22-2007, 11:49 PM
That is great news, Shadeslinger! Also.. how ironic... I named Alexandra Novastar's saber "Seraphim". EDIT: Oops, I mean "Seraphica"!!! D'oh!!!

It was a royal blue LED with a nice Mace/Luke hybrid + MHS for the hilt...

NEW INFO:

Dang it, I was hoping to complete the "Indiana Jones" whip font prior to Halloween, but... looks like I won't be able to do so! Besides, I'd better start getting my butt in gear for the BOP III soundtrack/vocals. It's gonna be a doozy!

Still, I hope to have time to finish it at least by Xmas or for the new year... here's hopin'...

Novastar
10-29-2007, 11:45 PM
Added a poll... curious to see what fonts people are installing/enjoying the best!

Don't feel "mean" about posting that you like someone else's font more! I really should re-label this topic "CF Sound fonts" or whatever. I just didn't want the poll options to be too ridiculous. Ten choices is ENOUGH!! :)

Post a message with a differing font if you like as well. It would be great if people who have/use differing fonts that are not already on Erv's site... post links to share them. If you're unwilling to do so--no problem, but what a bummer!!

Angelus Lupus
10-30-2007, 04:55 AM
Haven't got my CF 2.61 yet, so this is purely on hearing the files/watching your video.
For general light-sider, gotta be Novastar with Blackstar for dark-side.
For non-standard, I love the Ancient saber. I quite like Phoenix Pyre Sword, but only for sabers in the Red to Yellow spectrum.
Non saber wise, since I was a sword fighter long before I got into sabers I gotta go for Steel Sword, and for comedy - Chainsaw (also the Duke Nukem nostalgia)
Kung-Fu isn't my kinda thing, but you sure did put a lot of work into that and I can see lots of people loving it.

And of course, once my board arrives I will be implementing my Chicken saber sound font.

pipster79
10-30-2007, 09:26 AM
there all pretty good sound fonts nova, my fav is ep4 so far. think u may make some ep3 fonts?
i think im gonna try making a spaceballs one if i can find enough sounds to do it :D

DACOTA
10-30-2007, 11:42 AM
Dang it I want a custom with a cf in it, you guys are making me so mad with your awsome sound font and crazy sweet sabers that are so realistic!

Hopefully I will have a job soon then I will go saber crazy, and yes in case you dont know it, I am insane like the rest of you. :wink: :lol: :lol:

Nice work Nova! 8)

Maliki Skywalker
10-30-2007, 11:52 AM
Blackstar and Novastar are my fav, they are all awesome fonts, just keep um coming! :D Nova is there any chance of your Flange III setup becoming available?? :D

Luuc'ha
10-30-2007, 04:23 PM
i'd like to see an electrostaff font
a friend of mine is more into staffs than sabers, would be nice to make him a staff to duel with :twisted:

DACOTA
10-30-2007, 09:16 PM
Actually I think the ancient saber font should be the magna gaurds staff,thats what it sounded like to me.

Novastar
10-31-2007, 12:45 AM
An electrostaff theme is one I've been working on a bit--more "in the background"... but--I've been collecting pieces of what might be used here and there.

This is an idea: if you WANT to hear a sound in a font... send a clip to me (hopefully a decent-quality one), and although I can't PROMISE anything... it sure would have a better chance to be used in a font. Unless YOU yourself make one... and then, there ya go--just make it and share, heheh.

Pipster... re: EP III font... I don't see why not, but... I'm not really sure how unique Ben Burtt made that one compared to some of the others. As far as *I* can tell... it sounds like a compilation of them ALL. If I listen closer someday, maybe I'll get a "unique feel" out of it.

Pip, let me know some examples that would set it apart and maybe I can find them or do something to get a font that sounds close... :)

pipster79
10-31-2007, 09:56 AM
ill have to watch it again and listen too and ill let ya know novastar

ive started work on a sound font of my own, not too far into it yet, collected somewhere around 200 saber sounds and have only decided on the hum and a couple swings and clashes, may alter them and add some effects, gonna play around and see what i like :) ill keep ya updated

DACOTA
11-02-2007, 01:32 PM
Hey Nova do you think you could make some luke rotj sounds, not exact but that real high pitched electrical sound that the mr luke rotj fx has?

Novastar
11-04-2007, 10:43 PM
Sure, I can try... although I believe Jonitus made a Luke ROTJ???

I've spoken with him, and we've actually improved it a bit together... but... it's pretty much "his" font. Re-creating it might be a bit over-kill unless his sounds are way off??? I dunno...

But let's see... so far, I have made the EP IV and EP II fonts... I guess an EP III and EP VI thing would make the saber stuff for CF more robust...

killphil
11-05-2007, 04:24 AM
I'd really like to see a Vader Ep V font, if at all possible. Most characterized by it's intense moan as opposed to the standard hum, if you know what I mean. That would be my dream saber sound font.

Darth_Chfm
11-05-2007, 07:35 AM
I have actually made an Ep V Vader font. I have already sent it to Erv', and he said that he would listen to it.

Novastar
11-05-2007, 07:09 PM
Darth_chfm... sounds great! Would love to hear it as well... feel free to e-mail or pm me about it if you like.

DACOTA
11-06-2007, 08:26 AM
Why not post it? I would love to hear it also. :D

sekrogue1985
11-06-2007, 12:33 PM
what i did once well still have it is to just randomly mix everything to get you get weird looks when your saber activates and a cow moos it more fun with the kids but yeah my little brother gets a kick out of fighting with the saber yup 4 years old and a dedicated fan

Angelus Lupus
11-06-2007, 12:45 PM
Could I, perchance, offer you some punctuation?

Novastar
11-10-2007, 05:46 PM
Why not post it? I would love to hear it also. :DExactly, Dacota... Darth_chm and I spoke a bit, and I listened to the font... sounds good to me! I might be biased, as... I say the MORE fonts the better. :)

ANyhow, I hope when the dust settles on the current release of v3, Erv will have a moment to upload/host more fonts, and I hope stuff like Angelus's chicken saber sounds font and Darth_chm's get on there.

Also... ONE of these days, Jonitus and I will get his "Zen" font completed. So there's that... also I hope to get the whip font done before the new year, and some kind of electro-zapper/staff/whatever weapon soon enough as well.

DACOTA
11-12-2007, 10:34 AM
Sounds great. Thank you for all your hard work on these fonts. :wink: :D

Madcow
11-12-2007, 11:05 AM
Great Work Nova!
You enhance the value of Erv's CF big time!

I made some tweaks to the Episode 4 font. A couple of old schol clash and swing sounds, single blaster block from the remote sequence in the movie, and I cleaned up the transitions. Plus I set up the parameters to where I like them. If anyone is interested I can try to post it on my site.
Thanks Nova for letting me mess with your work.

Cheers,
MC

Delmustator
11-12-2007, 11:29 AM
Moved to CF Soundfonts and Config Files (Shop and Swap) thread..

http://www.thecustomsabershop.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=72007

Angelus Lupus
11-12-2007, 12:28 PM
Nice soundfonts, I wonder why mine never made it online..
Oh well, guess I'll have to create more.

Novastar
11-12-2007, 03:38 PM
Angelus... give Erv some time, or say hello again for him to post the chicken fonts--he's been busy with v3 is my guess...

Delmustator--those look great, but... ack! The links keep timing out for me right now. I'll try them again later, but... yeah good ideas! I don't know what Shadow Warrior is, but it sounds cool.

I'm sure Flynn from NYJedi would love the Predator saber font too, since that's like... his "thing", heheh

pipster79
11-12-2007, 04:15 PM
omg i love low wang lol i used to play that game all the time years ago, thats sweet

Angelus Lupus
11-12-2007, 04:31 PM
Nova, I haven't pestered erv' to put the chicken sounds up cos to be honest I didn't think it had as much appeal as, say, your ancient saber, or the new predator sounds. I should have my CF up and running to demonstrate it at the UK meet up tho.
If I'd actually managed to finish that star trek soundfont I was doing then that might have a wider audience. :)

Short version, once I complete at least one more soundfont then I'll consider myself worthy of Plecter recognition.

Edit:
(The longer version involves me feeling very down and depressed before. Retrospect and humility oblige me to apologise for any unintentional prior brusqueness.)

Jonitus
11-12-2007, 04:51 PM
Here's a Vader ESB font I have been working on the past few evenings. Let me know what you think:

http://www.judgesabersmith.com/Mixgood.wav

Delmustator
11-12-2007, 06:15 PM
Angelus... give Erv some time, or say hello again for him to post the chicken fonts--he's been busy with v3 is my guess...

Delmustator--those look great, but... ack! The links keep timing out for me right now. I'll try them again later, but... yeah good ideas! I don't know what Shadow Warrior is, but it sounds cool.

I'm sure Flynn from NYJedi would love the Predator saber font too, since that's like... his "thing", heheh

Sorry about that Novastar... I was kickin arse in Battlefield 2142 and forgot to plug my server back up.. Sometimes I get game lag when someone is downloading... DOH!!

LoWang was the ever so popular and positively politically incorrect character of the 3D Realms 1997 DOOM engine based game called Shadow Warrior.

http://buttrynet.dyndns.org/weblinked/swbox225.gif

In fact, Shadow Warrior was SO politically incorrect that it caused an uproar in the oriental community because of Lo Wang's constant use of bad Kung Fu movie like acting speak.

Lo Wang literally ran around in the game, talking smack the entire time. He was absolutely hilarious. It even got funnier during multiplayer action because you could talk smack to your opponents. One of my all time favorite games ever!

I still have a RAP song from Shadow Warrior that I kept all these years. It's too funny.. Here it is...

Lo Wang RAP (ftp://ftp.3drealms.com/misc/lowangsrap.mp3)

Delmustator
11-12-2007, 06:20 PM
Here's a Vader ESB font I have been working on the past few evenings. Let me know what you think:

That one is excellent!

Novastar
11-12-2007, 07:09 PM
SWEET everyone!

This thread is going EXACTLY as I was hoping. What I should do soon enough... is add some of these fonts to the poll and hope someday that we can essentially "direct" all CF purchasers to it for the following reasons:

1. Have fun seeing what fonts people like most.
2. Well... do they even KNOW about the additional fonts??
3. Encourage them to create more themselves.
4. Share fonts they've created or modified.

And Angelus... NONSENSE that one font should be deemed "better" than another. Especially when comparing apples to oranges. I mean, I don't like my Chainsaw font as much as I do Blackstar or Phoenix Pyre... but for entirely different reasons, the Chainsaw *IS* better than both of them!

That LoWang font is GREAT! I completely forgot about that game, and I never bought it long ago... but should have! heheheh Perfect example of CF "uniqueness".

Also--the Predator font Flynn HAS to check out! I've already told him about it...

So anyhow--yup!!! More fonts = better! And the more unique each one is... that's 10x better... :)

nyjedi
11-12-2007, 07:50 PM
That LoWang one had me BUSTIN a gut!

The Predator sample is dope! Nice. You know, I need to look into getting a board to program, 'cause I'm getting some new sound designing tools and have been thinking about what Talek's blade sounds like.

VERY cool stuff guys!

killphil
11-12-2007, 11:39 PM

That's it! :shock:

Thats the sound I've been waiting for! :D

It sounds very good, Jon. Really like the Force choke effect you have on there. Hopefully it goes up on Erv's sight very quickly, so it can make it onto my new saber that X-Wing is working on.

Novastar
11-13-2007, 02:52 AM
Sounds good Jon! That's going to be a nice addition to sound fonts out there...

UPDATE: "Electrostaff" font on its way very soon... :)

Originally, I was thinking to have it "double" as a kind of lightning sword, but... I think they will have to remain separate to be effective... :)

Delmustator
11-13-2007, 10:05 AM
Added another version of the LoWang Saber soundfonts. This is version 5. This is a change in the clash, blaster, lockup, poweron, and poweroff sounds. I think this one is much better..

DACOTA
11-13-2007, 10:17 AM
I just sent Erv' some new soundfonts for the CF v3.0 core last night. They are online at Plecter Labs website or you can listen to the demos from my website.

Del Saber v1.0 (Sounds from Jedi Knight II)
DelSaberv1demo.mp3 (http://buttrynet.dyndns.org/BNETWeb2/forum/soundfonts/DelSaberv1demo.mp3)

P.S. I love what NovaStar has done..

I love that font, it sounds alot like lukes from rotj.

Angelus Lupus
11-13-2007, 11:59 AM
And Angelus... NONSENSE that one font should be deemed "better" than another. Especially when comparing apples to oranges. I mean, I don't like my Chainsaw font as much as I do Blackstar or Phoenix Pyre... but for entirely different reasons, the Chainsaw *IS* better than both of them!

Thanks Nova, I guess I get too self-critical at times. And as these new fons are proving: no matter how crazy the sounds, there's people out there who'll like it.

Novastar
11-13-2007, 03:28 PM
I used the Chainsaw font on Halloween... lol. People were like: "where the hell is THAT coming from??!?!?!"

For what seemed like ages, no one believed it was coming from my saber. They thought it was some house playing scary movies/soundtracks, hahahaha. But you're right Angelus--some fonts are just for fun, and others will be more "staples".

I don't expect too many people to be using Steel Sword and Kung Fu alot... but they are there to verify and enjoy CF's insane and robust "configureability" if there is such a word.

Angelus Lupus
11-13-2007, 03:37 PM
Well I'll make use of steel sword! Used to do sword fighting a lot. At the risk of inflating your ego: when I saw erv's demo video with that font, that was the moment I knew I had to get a CF.

DACOTA
11-13-2007, 04:16 PM
I used the Chainsaw font on Halloween... lol. People were like: "where the hell is THAT coming from??!?!?!"

For what seemed like ages, no one believed it was coming from my saber. They thought it was some house playing scary movies/soundtracks, hahahaha. But you're right Angelus--some fonts are just for fun, and others will be more "staples".

I don't expect too many people to be using Steel Sword and Kung Fu alot... but they are there to verify and enjoy CF's insane and robust "configureability" if there is such a word.

Thats what I think because I got really weirded out by these abnormal saber fonts but at the same time it would be fun to swing a sword or chainsaw around, even without the blade and just the scary chainsaw in the middle of the night thing. :twisted: :lol:

Novastar
11-14-2007, 01:56 AM
Well, "abnormal" is in the eye of the beholder... since--the entire idea I have been trying to get across to CF users is... you can do quite a NUMBER of things with it!

* Put it in a "glowing box" and use it as a "holocube" or holocron or whatever. Make whizz-bang sounds... vocal communications for the hum? Don't know... be creative...
* Fire sword. Well... there's your Phoenix Pyre for ya...
* Lightning sword... I'm workin' on it.
* Droid stuff... except Erv's making a more specific "droid core" soon enough... so--whatever... it is still happening.
* Sounds that aren't "100% specific to Ben Burtt". Not that his sounds don't rock the house & earth... but... hey, creativity and uniqueness is what made CF awesome... so keep the ball rolling. Thus, Ancient Saber, Steel Sword, Kung Fu, Chainsaw, etc.
* Any and all combinations of the sounds you like from all the movies... that is really what Blackstar and Novastar sound fonts are... an "amalgamation" of sounds I prefer, and in Blackstar's on/off sounds... my own voice! (tweaked mind you)
* Your "standard" EP I, EP II, EP III, etc. fonts. Enter Jonitus' fonts, or Delmunstrator or Christoppher, and so forth!
* Indiana Jones "whip" font. :) Heck, doesn't even have to be Jones... could be a whip in general
* Light whip... I don't know when or if I'll be able to do this one... we'll see...
* A "Force Shield"... maybe something akin to the Jar Jar style people's thingies. I don't know. Have some creativity! :D

In essence... I see SO much creativity with saber hilts... ENDLESS creativity do I see! Why not, I ask, with sound? Hmmm???

"Monotony. HEH. Same old stuff. HEH!! A CF user craves not these things..." -- Yo!!!! Duhhhh....

;)

luke s
11-14-2007, 04:34 PM
How about this for a blade lockup. It is the duel in the cave when luke locks up with vader. It comes at 2:22. It is a high pitched popping sound. It really makes the energy of the blades come to life IMO.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=0AaIO__5RO4

Delmustator
11-14-2007, 05:42 PM
Here is the captured sound byte..

Click Me Click Me.... Yeah,,, Click Me (http://buttrynet.dyndns.org/weblinked/sabersounds1.mp3)

If someone knows how to filter the music, it would be great..

xwingband
11-14-2007, 06:07 PM
Congrats Nova! I noticed it's no longer just me under the mod list. :D

EDIT: Let's get a custom title on you... ideas?

vortextwist
11-14-2007, 06:11 PM
Master of Sounds

xwingband
11-14-2007, 07:14 PM
That's logical... unless someone says something that's just all sorts of awesome that'll do.

I noticed at the FX-sabers site Vortex suggested a rain font. It sounded more like a soothing let's go to sleep suggestion, but that got my brain rumbling.

What about a Kamino font? It would totally sound like the battle of Obi vs. Jango. Rain sizzling on the blade, lightning maybe in the background. Missile fire as the force effect.

Retraction could be Slave One lifting off before the blade sound. I like this... :D

Delmustator
11-15-2007, 07:20 AM
The new game called Time Shift has some sweet rain sounds and others effects. I'll try to capture them this afternoon..

defyitall
11-15-2007, 11:24 AM
I know this is juvenile. But I dream of someone making a fart sounds font.

So I could switch the bank over to the fart sound when someone asks to see my saber. Then they swing and it farts...

Cmon! HI-larity!

Novastar
11-16-2007, 01:56 AM
That's logical... unless someone says something that's just all sorts of awesome that'll do.

I noticed at the FX-sabers site Vortex suggested a rain font. It sounded more like a soothing let's go to sleep suggestion, but that got my brain rumbling.

What about a Kamino font? It would totally sound like the battle of Obi vs. Jango. Rain sizzling on the blade, lightning maybe in the background. Missile fire as the force effect.

Retraction could be Slave One lifting off before the blade sound. I like this... :D
EXCELLENT idea... I'm only barely barely slightly ahead of you, as I have been compiling some "nature" sounds for a bit, trying to decide if I could help Jonitus with the "Zen" font with 'em... or create a nature font or whatever...

BUT--I never once thought about the whole Kamino + rain + sabers + Jango = interesting!

What I *HAVE* done (and I hope this gives people ideas)... is make short "music backgrounds" during things like the blaster, force, and lockup modes... since this is more "controllable" and the sound can be any length... you simply get imaginative, etc. People who watched/listened to my v2.61 + 6 sound font demo probably heard the lightning... but did you hear the EMPEROR'S THEME in the background?? Same with the choke/grip... there is the "choral ahhh" thing from EP III's Battle of Heroes briefly...

Anyhow... GREAT idea, X to the Z... I say everyone go for it!

For now, alas... (or is it YAY)... I must work on the BOP III soundtrack... which, by the way... is coming out MAGNIFICENTLY and sounds GREAT thanks to the talented vocal artists I found to work on it. One is from Australia... can't wait to mix it all completely and share with you guys...

Novastar
11-16-2007, 02:33 AM
P.S. I don't need a moderator "title", hhehe :) ... I only asked Tim for some way to edit the CF sound font poll so I could add OTHER people's fonts (which I was hoping to do from the beginning)... so I guess he figured the best way was to just grant moderator access??.... dunno...

I'll do my best, but... don't really know what a moderator does other than keep the peace... :D And in general, mostly only COOL people who don't begin fights post here.

Then you have some of the sections of TF.N which ends up being a lot of mouth-offs. That ain't TCSS, so... there it is, plain and simple.

Ghostbat
11-16-2007, 09:39 AM
I'll do my best, but... don't really know what a moderator does other than keep the peace... :D And in general, mostly only COOL people who don't begin fights post here.

On the boards I moderate on the entirety of the job is to spambust and once a year or two step in when an argument is getting a little too personal :)

Delmustator
11-16-2007, 11:09 AM
OK, I'm scarfing sounds from Time Shift..

Rain v1 (http://buttrynet.dyndns.org/weblinked/rain_v1.mp3)
Rain v2 - Slowed (http://buttrynet.dyndns.org/weblinked/rain_v2.mp3)
Rain v3 - Normal (http://buttrynet.dyndns.org/weblinked/rain_v3.mp3)

Games like Time Shift and Bioshock are using a new sound format called FMOD (.FSB filename extensions). I can extract the sound wav files but they are compressed. I'm still looking for a utility to uncompress them.

vortextwist
11-16-2007, 02:14 PM

exatly. I didn't want something soothing. but a storm with clashes as thunder cracks. you know.

Novastar
11-16-2007, 03:49 PM
Del... just saving them as a .wav format will technically "uncompress" them.

Unfortunately, mp3 is a "lossy" format, meaning--data IS indeed dumped to the wayside. So... you can't get back what is already lost... if the game STARTED with compressed sounds... that's it.

One thing you can do though, is convert it to a .wav or uncompressed format PRIOR to any alteration and you won't FURTHER lose quality. Basically, work with a sound in its purest form ya got... tweak it, cut it, stretch it, pitch shift, blah blah, and when you've got what you want... THEN save a compressed version.

The beauty of compression for sound (and graphics) is... once you HAVE a "solid" file... compressing it really doesn't kill any of its quality audibly (if you do it right). ONLY if you start adjusting, mixing, tweaking an mp3 for example... will it start to really lose audible quality.

Del may already know the above... but I am sharing with all so that future sound-makers remember it. Erv mentions this in his PDF too: work with .raw or .wav FIRST... THEN compress. :)

Delmustator
11-16-2007, 05:38 PM
I only save them in mp3 format to post here for the general user community.

These appear to be compressed WAV before they are compiled into the .FSB files. When they are extracted, they come out as .WAV files but will not play in WMP. I tried importing them via different sampling rates and types but they still have a hiss to them.

I tried to convert them to RAW and OGG with CEP and Goldwave but they didn't like that at all.

I read online that others are having the same issues.

I'll post one of the .FSB files if you want to play with one.

Onli-Won Kanomi
11-21-2007, 09:58 AM
Novastar I was on FXSabers forum and heard a "Lo Wang" demo where there is a Chinese voice saying "there can be only one" and that gave me an idea for your consideration [dont have a CF to try it myself...yet...sometime after Xmas I hope]...

Howzabout a HIGHLANDER [the original not the inferior sequels] sound font for CF? 8)

One could have 'swooshing' through the air and clashing steel sword sounds, maybe for the 'lockup' sound one could have Lamberts voice saying "There can be only One!", maybe a "Quickening" sound for the blaster bolt or force push?

Maybe some Queen too...I'm thinking "Here we are, born to be Kings!" for the activation? and "who wants to live forrrreverrrrrrr" for the deactivation? :wink:

Just an idea...

DACOTA
11-23-2007, 09:44 PM
This is getting crazy but I like it. :wink:

I just cant stand waiting to start buiding more customs after I finish my first one and using cf boards :cry: , oh well good things come to those who wait. :)

Delmustator
11-23-2007, 09:59 PM
I was thinking about renting a couple of the Highlander movies and doing some sound captures to see if I could get some good ones..

pipster79
11-25-2007, 10:29 PM
hey novastar I just finished my first sound font. It needs some tweaking though. If i send it to you, can you clean it up a bit for me? swings are a bit too quiet and theres an odd sound right before power off, maybe you could do something about that?
anyways let me know if you will have a listen and see if you can fix it up a bit for me.

Novastar
11-25-2007, 11:06 PM
hey novastar I just finished my first sound font. It needs some tweaking though. If i send it to you, can you clean it up a bit for me? swings are a bit too quiet and theres an odd sound right before power off, maybe you could do something about that?
anyways let me know if you will have a listen and see if you can fix it up a bit for me.

thanks :)I would love to hear it... :) I can't promise to fix anyone's fonts, but I can give as much help as I can give. BOP III is taking up a lot of my time, and I have to focus more on it. :)

BUT, with that being said--some help for people with volume issues, and strange sounds:

1. Volume issues. Use a "normalize/maximize" volume tool. Try using a compressor/expander utility... reduce "peaks" by making a hard cut of all volumes over a certain level. Try normalizing again. Repeat if needed... but don't use it too much.

2. Odd sounds. Popping, clicking, "chirping" and so forth in between transitions are almost always attributable to the beginning of any sound being too harsh, or not starting at the "zero-crossing point". To remedy this, try using a *very brief* "fade in" to the sound--maybe fading in only a maximum of 0.10 seconds... if not less! Sometimes, this will reduce pops & clicks.

However--it will be nearly impossible to remove ALL clicks and pops when sounds transition on CF v1 through v3, because you never know when one sound will "pre-empt" another due to swing, clash and whatever detection. Not every sound always "ends" before transitioning to the next!! So... the best you can do... is keep the waveform SMALL and "low" at the beginning and end of most all sounds.

I know that's a mouthful... but... it's hard to explain sound in words. I hope it helps!!

pipster79
11-25-2007, 11:11 PM
i tried normalizing, everything sounded good on the pc, but in the saber swings r way to quiet, hum is good all the way through.
the odd sound isnt a click or pop or anything like that, you will hear what it is when you play it, kinda goes loud weird hum for half a second before the poweroff. gonna zip it all up and mail it to you

Novastar
11-25-2007, 11:16 PM
No, Pipster... you must first try the "compressor/expander" utility BEFORE normalizing--in this case.

Sometimes, "normalizing" a sound form will not work ideally, because ONE small portion of the sound "hits the top" (+1dB) and the rest of the waveform is well out of that range... such as +0.4dB or whatever.

So... using the compressor/expander properly will effectively "cut down" overly high portions of the waveforms, now allowing you to "normalize" again... which should be better overall.

It's very difficult to explain. I've had to do this sort of thing by hand and with tools. By hand is best when working with vocals--ala BOP I, II, III...

For those having Pipster's problem... read help files or study up on "compressor/expander" functions/tools.

EDIT: It's fine if you want to mail it though! I'll see what I can help with... but I'd prefer to help YOU to figure out what needs to be done rather than to do it for you... :)

pipster79
11-25-2007, 11:26 PM
just sent it to you, have a listen and let meknow what you think, and if you can point me in the right direcion. thanks

oh and ill look into that compres/expander. any good places to read about that?

Novastar
11-26-2007, 09:44 PM
As you probably know, I e-mailed you on this separately.

Good sound tools that will explain different tools/algorithms, are Goldwave, Audacity (freeware/trial stuff) and naturally expensive audio software, lol.

You can also adjust volume levels by hand instead of going the compressor/expander way, but... you have to know what you're doing, and it's slower going.

For people in general who are mixing stuff for CF:

1. Keep your original sound files separate... with NO mixing.
2. Save them as high-quality .wav files... you do not need them in stereo, but... whatever you like.
3. In general, clashes and swings are best "topping" out at 1dB and the overall waveform being around that volume level.
4. In general, the hum sound should be at least 5 seconds or longer, and "top out" at something like 0.6dB or 0.7dB. The loop should be SEAMLESS. If you can "tell" it's looping... abandon it, fix it, or do SOMEthing... it will help a ton.

When mixing the hum sound into swings and clashes--you MAY need to slightly reduce the hum volume in order to essentially give more "weight" to the swing or clash. Not always... but... it can help. A reduction of -10% hum volume is fine, but... not much more than that. I recommend avoiding volume changes on the hum noise if they can be avoided.

When mixing the hum sound into the poweron/off sounds... try finding the right time to "fade in" and "fade out" the hum, and at what gradation (how quickly the fade is). This is different for every on/off sound.

One of the easiest sounds to make "perfect" is the transition from any sound (except poweroff) into the hum sound. What you want to do is use the last XX seconds of the hum sound (mixed with the clash/swing/lockup/etc.) that seamlessly loops back into the beginning of the hum sound. This means that if a clash, swing, poweron or other sound COMPLETELY FINISHES playing... you will *always* have a seamless transition to the hum.

No guarantee can be made (as I mentioned earlier) regarding how "interruptive" the sounds are for one another. But, DUH... this is the FUN of CF! And besides, usually when a clash interrupts another sound--you will hardly ever notice a pop or click... since the sound will essentially "cover" or mask the crossing error.

Lots involved in good sound design for CF... especially with that hum sound. Believe me... you want a NICE loop for that. Sloppy ones produce sloppy-sounding transitions. :)

Kamurah
11-28-2007, 08:22 AM
A bit to add here if I may...

In a previous life, I was a recording mastering engineer (I offer that as a caveat so anyone reading won't immediately think I'm off my rocker :D ).

The tiny speakers we have in these sabers are not designed for full spectrum reproduction (20hz - 20khz) (duh)...and are basically band limited from the 200-300hz (lower) to 4-6k (upper) with a 'sweet spot' at about the 900hz-2k range.

This is actually ok because most of the clashes, blasts, and saber swings are heavy in 1-2k info; however, I would caution anyone that is trying to get any kind of deep bassy growl for a hum is going to have problems. In fact, I would recommend when getting your hum sounds together, make sure you include some higher frequency info mixed into the hum to make sure it will register on the speakers.

A good example of this is Novastar's 'Blackstar' font. The hum actually has a lot more low frequency info than what is heard on the speaker...and what you do hear (primarily) is the upper frequency info that is blended in.

Any prospective soundfont makers, I highly recommend using a good spectrum analyzer for your fonts, and also a nice 4 or 5 band eq to sculpt out the best notches for these speakers.

If you have the capability to patch in one of the speakers to your computer, it will help out immensely when mixing.

Cheers

Novastar
11-29-2007, 12:04 AM
Kamurah is definitely correct here... bass is generally associated with larger speakers that can push out (and in) "larger" soundwaves... which are essentially longer peaks and troughs in the soundform, and... you get the "thump, thump" stuff.

28mm speakers and so forth... uh--no way. :) They ain't playin' any of that. Why? They physically cannot create such a large wave... too small! Sometimes it doesn't even matter the quality... you just can't get "uber" bass from a 28mm.

As Kamurah noticed (thanks, man! it means a lot that someone checked it out!!) I actually took this into consideration with the Blackstar font, and did my best to emphasize the sound range that would be "more likely to be heard" in the kinds of speakers I know that MOST saber geekers would use... and I sort of leave the bass alone since it doesn't matter and won't play...

HOWEVER... *I* personally have some 36mm and 45mm speakers that fit in the Flange III sabers that can actually produce some of the bass sounds in a limited fashion. The 45mm speaker was the best for bass--in fact, it almost produces all of the soundwaves your ears can hear. Problem is... it died a while ago, and I need to replace it!! D'OH!! So anyway, I left the bass in on my fonts (to cater to NICE speakers)... but... checked to make sure the sound was still "good" WITHOUT the uber-bass rumble.

There are numerous ways to "simulate" what your sound will "read" like, but... a simple and easy way--is to temporarily use an equalizer and "cut out" certain portions of frequencies. Namely... the BASS-like ones. For example, 60Hz to 200Hz is a good start. Remove 'em. Listen to it. Does it REALLY jack the sound up? Your sound needs more work.

It wasn't easy, but there is only so much I can do. I don't have a bunch of sound tools, nor was I ever a sound engineer in a previous, present or future life!!! :) So, certainly there must be people out there who can do more... only question is... who will?

Oh... another way is... heck--just sacrifice an "example" saber speaker, hook it up to a mini or whatever jack... plug THAT into your computer's headphone jack or whatever... and there. No changes needed--THAT is what it will sound like. Problem is... who wants to waste a good speaker? I prefer to just drop the frequencies and then hit "undo", heheh.

Anyhow. Yeah. A lot of golddarn work.

pipster79
12-01-2007, 09:12 PM
Thought i would let everyone know how my sound font is comming.
Totaly scrapped origonal font i was working on, and started from scratch. I've been working on it now for a lil over an hour, and nearly done. Only have 2 files to change/fix up, the power on needs to be a bit louder and the power off is way to short. Going to rework the poweron and probably use a different poweroff.
I'm really pleased so far with this sound font. Have tried it in my saber and other then those 2 sounds it sounds great :) I'm especialy pleased with the hum i have selected, its one i have wanted to hear in a sound font for some time, but no one has used it yet.
Anyhow... I should have the font done some time tonight, in the next hour hopefuly.
Oh by the way, its in 8bit format since i'm using v1.2 but it can be easily converted to 16 bit for those who have newer versions

note to those who want to make saber fonts. Cool Edit Pro v2, is a great utility, makes font making very easy :), only thing i dont like about it, is that it doesnt have crossfade for mixing. so for mixing hum with poweron and poweroff i use sound forge 9.0c. the rest is made with Cool Edit

pipster79
12-02-2007, 12:47 PM
ok, the main font is now done :) just realized that i should make a blaster, force and blade lockup for those who use these features. Shouldnt take me long...i already have the blade lockup and blaster sounds i want, just need to pick a force sound, and i dont want to use the sound from the game, way over used and i never liked that sound. May use the force push from episode 1 if i can find it

Novastar
12-02-2007, 12:57 PM
Great to hear, Pip... looking forward to hearing more with this font. :)

As to crossfading... well, Goldwave allows it also, but... technically, crossfading is simply manipulating the volume of both clips in order to get the result you want.

When I mix the hum sound with poweron and poweroff, I find that sometimes the result I want will SOLELY come from manually adjusting the volume levels (volume shaping). Sometimes I'll use a sharp "spike" upward or downward... sometimes a swift curve... sometimes something else that is a bit more customized.

The point is--every poweron and poweroff sound is different, so... manually adjusting the mixes is often a good idea to get ideal results.

pipster79
12-02-2007, 01:03 PM
im really pleased with the way this one has turned out. Took a bit of tweaking here and there, some trial and error, some testing and retesting. But its pretty much just the way i want it now :)
I'll send you a copy of the font once i finish the lockup, force and blaster if u want novastar. Always good to here what someone else thinks of ones work :)

Delmustator
12-03-2007, 06:46 PM
Well I have the CF 3.0 on my workbench and all wired up for loading of the sound banks.

So I archive the default sound banks and load my LoWang sound fonts to bank 5.

Turn it on, select bank 5 and start laughing my arse off.. Freaking hilarious!!!

One note of seriousness.. I noticed that 2 sound fonts are not setup in the Saber Sound Mixer program. The bank selection sound font and the boot sound font.

Erv, you considering adding these to your program?

Other than this, now I need to gather some more parts and start building. I think this puppy will go into my Anakin AOTC.

Angelus Lupus
12-03-2007, 06:57 PM
I used the 'SW droid, high' setting of 'mechanise' in Gold Wave on a recording of my voice to get the selection sound for my chicken saber. As for boot it can be anything you want, I just used a raw 'cluck' without hum or anything mixed in.

Edit: Del, any chance you could email me your sound fonts? Erv's not put them up on his site yet and I'd especially like to have Lo Wang to try out the UK meet up.

Novastar
12-06-2007, 01:47 AM
Whoa! (re: Episode II & IV fonts)

Ok... I just realized that the mixing ended up pretty bad on these! Figures--I never had a chance to test them in a v2 since I didn't put them in the last one, and I've been too busy having my actors use the saber to bother checking...

...but now that I have the SECOND v2.61 wired up, I heard Ep IV and Ep II and the mixtures suck monkey tail. I'm going to fix them posthaste, and give them to Erv for better updates/upgrades to them.

Sorry about that! :)

I also modified Steel Sword so that it is also mixed a lot better. I dunno... I guess I'm a stickler for the transitions to sound perfect and I hate it when they aren't!!!

sekrogue1985
01-07-2008, 12:36 PM
i'd be glad to donate a few bucks for the creation of some CF sound fonts though my hard drive crashed and i've lost my farm animal saber so i'm working from a friends computer with sound forge trial version to quickly re-build it

Novastar
01-08-2008, 05:46 AM
You might have sent that to me... and I might still have it! I'll look... if you're lucky, it's still floating around in my inbox...

I know my g/f deleted it when I copied it to my desktop... I don't know WHY, but maybe she thought it was junk. There would be no way she could have understood what the heck the .raw files were, lol.

vortextwist
01-08-2008, 06:04 PM
I just got my 3.0 up and running and I must say thanks everyone that has worked on them. I want to change a couple out, not really into the chansaw or kung fu, but are interesting. one question, how do I get the music out of the font selection menu?

xwingband
01-08-2008, 06:35 PM
Change the background file to a blank file. I didn't really dig the music either, I found it made hearing the names harder.

Madcow
01-08-2008, 08:19 PM
I made my own music file that is a faint sound of a probe droid (like on Hoth in EP 5). And a whole new set of my wifes voice saying the menu words.

Fun to customize!

MC

Luke-SkyMarcher
01-10-2008, 06:39 PM
Fun to customize!

Totally agreed here!
Novastar - of all the non-lightsaber fonts, I think so far I like Phoenix the best. I loaded it up in place of kung-fu, using the same config file, and it actually looked pretty nice.

-Luke

vortextwist
01-10-2008, 06:50 PM
Change the background file to a blank file. I didn't really dig the music either, I found it made hearing the names harder.

I don't see a background. BTW what program do I use to open the "music" files so I can preview them before loading the flash into the saber?

Novastar
01-11-2008, 01:44 AM
Totally agreed here!
Novastar - of all the non-lightsaber fonts, I think so far I like Phoenix the best. I loaded it up in place of kung-fu, using the same config file, and it actually looked pretty nice.

-LukeI agree with you... it's probably my favorite non-"Ben Burtt" font as well.

I don't imagine many people on here will use fonts like Steel Sword, Chainsaw, Phoenix Pyre and Kung Fu... but if ever there were some fonts to show how FAR you could go (and do it with style and quality) for sound... well, I don't know what else.

Besides, after a while (to ME)... all the saber clashes and swings sound the same to me. That is, all the Ben Burtt ones... I mean the only real distinctive differences I'VE heard from those sounds that set one movie apart to the next would be EP I (Maul only, which is mainly higher "speeds" of the sounds... the pitch, really)... EP II for the "plonky" sounds, as X-Wing once put it... and Episode IV with "old" Vader and old Ben.

Maybe it's just me, but EP V and VI seem like hybrids (a few new sounds, but mainly old ones with little "touches" here and there)... and EP III seems to use most every sound (especially in Obi v AniVader).

Anyhow... it would be cool if people more adept than lil' old me could put together an EP I font and and EP III font (then we'd have sound banks for EP I - IV), but... I don't envy anyone the task. And yeah, I say good luck with EP V and VI... so far, Jonitus has the best ESB I can imagine... and even that has sounds from IV.

*WHEW* I hope that all isn't too confusing. In the end... it seems clear that Ben Burtt never intended the saber sounds to be "exclusive" to one saber or another. Although... hmm, that might have been cool, huh? EVERY individual saber, ALWAYS different swings, ALWAYS different clashes/lockups... from the next! :)

But that is why I made Ancient Saber... ;) And I think Phoenix Pyre could be altered to be both a fire whip and a fire-like saber.

Novastar
02-04-2008, 12:45 AM
Just an update to say that I'm pretty close to finishing an "Indiana Jones" sound font that should utilize CF in an even more creative way that I did with the Kung Fu font.

With any luck, what I am envisioning will work "somewhat", although CF is still an entirely monophonic device.

There are still tweaks, testing and polishing to be made, so it may not be posted for a while. Hope everyone is looking forward to IJ IV... I know I am. Let's just hope poor Harrison's creaky knees don't finally give out... and that Calista doesn't wear him out either! :)

Eandori
02-28-2008, 04:57 PM
Weird... it says I voted already and I didn't.

Novastar
03-09-2008, 03:41 AM
Same here, lol... I think the new port from one version of PHPbb obviously still has a few warped out bugs, hehhe

I'll look into it though... although I guess we could just start over, I dunno.,.. :)

jpbeck
03-12-2008, 03:50 PM
NovaStar I sent $2.97 donation-- lol
That's all I had in the Paypal account :)
I know you must have been like "WTF why $2.97?"
When I download your font to my CF 3 (when it gets here) I'll send you a proper donation for your good deeds.
Thanks,
Joe

Novastar
03-17-2008, 08:07 AM
Ack, sorry I missed this--you posted some time ago!

And lol... $2.97 *IS* funny, but not because it is "small", only because it feels like one of those price tags at a store... you know, 2.99, 2.98, etc. why don't they just say THREE DOLLARS, hahahahah....

but also funny b/c wow! You say it is ALL you had??? Well don't DO that! I mean, as long as Paypal is not your entire bank account, lol just kidding.

Seriously... like I tell everyone on my youtube... $1, $5, $7, $10, $100... size matters not. :) Merci beaucoup, and enjoy the v3 stuff.

With any luck, Erv and I are working to have more "pimped out/precisely tweaked" all of the fonts. To avoid ANY pops & clicks... to get volume levels maximized yet "normalized & standardized"... to avoid "weird" transitional breaks between hum to clash/swing/etc. ... and a whole junkload of other things.

jpbeck
03-17-2008, 09:15 AM
LOL-- don't worry I have cash in the bank-- just not in the paypal account if that makes sense, ie no instant paypal cash-- I use e-checks.

Thanks for the hard work.
Joe

Stevewars
03-21-2008, 02:01 PM
Hi Nova,
Steve here from the uk just to let you know i have made a donation to botf i have been speaking to erv about where i can get a ob1 style emmiter for my parks annisary saber and when i went on your web site to make a donation i see there ware pitchures of ob1 style emmiter thats the one i want its got to have a 1 inch blade diamter,so if you can help me get one i would be greatful

STEVEWARS

eastern57
03-22-2008, 10:57 AM
Novastar, I hope you don't have a problem accepting cashish from total strangers. I made a donation through Erv's site - I really appreciate the information/knowledge that you two have put out.

Also, I've been seeing "Steampunk" popping up a lot more lately, so I'm working on a steampunk sound font, but I might have to refer back to you with questions later. I have a lot of sounds but still learning soundforge -seems easy, just not there yet.

poweron - aerosol hissing + old jeep engine turnover
hum = sounds a bit like a quiet train (good sound) + big clock ticking
swings - various hisses, aerosols releases, steam etc.
clashes = various glass breaking, metal scrapes
blaster - old black powder .50 cal
lockup/fouse push - nothing yet
poweroff - same jeep engine shut-down + tugboat whistle + steam release

That's all. The end.

DarthFender
03-22-2008, 12:35 PM
Eastern, that sounds like it will be an awesome font. Make sure to share that one withus when you finish it.

Malaki Skywalker
03-22-2008, 01:03 PM
Thats sounds awesome, can't wait to here it! :p

DACOTA
03-22-2008, 02:22 PM
Oh that would be so great! I really want to build a steampunk hilt.

eastern57
03-23-2008, 01:48 AM
Hey guys, I got the steampunk demo rolling, but I'm still refiining the actual sounds. I'll email them to Erv to QC and maybe it'll show up there soon.

In the mean time... What's your idea of "steampunk"? I need a description for the actual readme.txt file... but, I'd like some other ideas.

Tell me how you define steampunk... What does it mean to you?... What is it in your own words?

Novastar
03-23-2008, 09:55 AM
I don't know much about Steampunk, but Eastern... Stevewars... jpbeck... THANK YOU! :)

Two new fonts are actually in Erv's hands, we're just wondering if we should wait and release them as a package, or what... as both of them aren't really "according-to-Burtt" SW sounds, heheh.

Anyhow, they are "Indiana Jones (whip sounds)", and the "NecroVolt Staff (electro-shock zapper)". :)

With any luck, I'll be able to finish some kind of "video game font" and some other fun but "more saber useful" sound font (like Phoenix Pyre) shortly. That way, it's FOUR more fonts.

After that, as Ferris Bueller says, I'm going to have to barf up a lung to continue making both creative AND unique fonts! :)

Obi-Dar Ke-Gnomie
03-23-2008, 11:33 AM
Hmmm... "Barf up a lung" font.

That might be interesting, but I think I'll pass.

vortextwist
03-29-2008, 06:21 PM
Does anyone have a way to get the sounds for Qui-gons saber. i wouldn't mind trying to make a set if I had something to start with.

SWAT Strachan
03-29-2008, 06:58 PM
For my second posts I might be breaking my own rules here...

For the sheer puerile comedy value, would THIS (http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=4wb_5MXQTl8) be a possibility? I don't think I could keep a straight face if I saw two people duelling with sabers that flatulate :D.

DarthFender
03-29-2008, 08:43 PM
With CF anything you can think of soundwise is possible. I think the Fart/Puke/Belch saber was already proposed. But I still have yet too see one.

Dark Helmet
03-29-2008, 11:33 PM
With CF anything you can think of soundwise is possible. I think the Fart/Puke/Belch saber was already proposed. But I still have yet too see one.

yeah, I've heard a lot of talk about them, but so far it seems nobody wants to post them.....maybe telling people you're converting farts into raw format just makes the family worry too much...

SWAT Strachan
03-30-2008, 05:12 AM
yeah, I've heard a lot of talk about them, but so far it seems nobody wants to post them.....maybe telling people you're converting farts into raw format just makes the family worry too much...Maybe it's more the fear of being caught recording them in the first place...

"Mum?!?! It's not what it looks like! :eek:"

"I don't care, take that microphone out immediately! :-x. Your father was supposed to be doing a karaoke night down at the Sith & Saber with that tonight!"

DarthFender
03-30-2008, 08:21 AM
Ok, hold on a sec guys while I clean up the coffee that sprayed out of my nose!!!!!!!!!

I should refrain fomr drinking any beverages while reading the forums. That is just too funny.

Novastar
04-15-2008, 01:58 AM
http://youtube.com/watch?v=DRBXqWi7XJw

To be added to an upcoming package of new sound packages, upgrades to current packages, and a compendium library of "mix & match" sounds:

* Upgrades to Novastar, Blackstar, Ancient, Phoenix Pyre... and more!
* NEW FONTS:
---- NecroVolt
---- Indiana Jones
---- Elemental: H2O
---- Elemental: Earth
---- Elemental: Magic
---- "Zen" Saber, inspired by Jonitus, created by Novastar
---- "Video Game" font
* Configuration files and setups for v2.x through v4.x!!

It's all being worked upon! :)

Oh, and btw--might I recommend this font, by "ShadeSlinger":
http://forums.thecustomsabershop.com/showthread.php?p=82363

You'll want to scroll through the thread a bit to see his mp3 mixed demo... kudos to Shadeslinger for the pretty cool font! I'm sure with a few more improvements--it'll be a kick-butt holy terror font!!

Sethski
04-15-2008, 07:49 AM
Does anyone have a way to get the sounds for Qui-gons saber. i wouldn't mind trying to make a set if I had something to start with.

Sorry, just read this. I'd like to get a Qui-Gon font going as well. I'm preoccupied with study stuff over the next month, but happy to pass on anything I do get done or back and forth - probably bits that would be helpful to each other, even if we were ended up with 2 different but complemetary fonts that fit our needs.

Oh, and on a slightly different tangent the other thing that I'd love to achieve in the one saber is a couple of variations on a font, based on the same sound set up but maybe like the saber is damaged or in the rain with water hissing and steaming on it and stuff, so you have the recognisable same saber but in different situations (yeah, I know, actually playing with lightsabers in the rain is probably really stupid, almost as bad as doing spins while you're in the bath or something, but how cool would that be? :D)

vortextwist
04-15-2008, 01:15 PM
Ya I just don't know where the sounds for qui-gonn are and don't know how to get them off dvd. I can't wait for the necovolt font, that sounds awesome.

Novastar
04-15-2008, 01:23 PM
Thanks Vortex... there's a lot on the plate, yes!

As to Qui-Gon font... does anyone really know if his sounds WERE all that unique? I mean, I am game to do my best with a lot of these, but honestly, EP II and EP IV were really the only ones that "stood out" to me as "their own" soundplots.

Even ROTJ EP VI mainly seemed like the hum sound being different to me. And besides, I'm leaving that one in Jonitus' hands--or I'd be willing to help him with it, but I do NOT want to just "do it again" and sort of crap all over someone else's work which is already good!! It's like we don't need TWO Novastar fonts, or THREE similar Ancient Sabers, hahah

The point that *I'M* trying to do is... unique fonts. Fonts that are literally IMPOSSIBLE to mix up from one to the other--to a certain extent.

If anyone can share with me "Qui-Gon" sounds that are so specific to his saber/movements... I'd be GLAD to make one. I love QuiGon, and Liam Neeson is one of my favorite actors. I was *PISSED* when he died so early on. I would have liked to have seen him running around in Ep II and THEN getting his arse handed to him.

But then again... I'm JUST as upset that Maul died so bloody quickly. Whatever.

SPEAKING of maul... I'd love to make a Maul font too... but... relatively same problem as above. We'll see though.

But... access to Ben Burtt's personal sound library I have not... and in the future I will have it not also!! Besides... as I've said... I'd rather NOT copy him directly and instead--do some unique things.

vortextwist
04-15-2008, 06:47 PM
I guess I really didn't notice if they were different from the others. Maybe just a good traditional one will work great? We all know you work real hard on these nova and don't think for a second we don't appreciate them, also, hurry up with those new ones. lol

Novastar
04-15-2008, 06:55 PM
I could be wrong, but... I *THOUGHT* Ep IV, Ep II, Novastar and Blackstar are pretty good for some traditional saber fonts... heheh. Not to mention Jonitus' ROTJ EP VI font. It essentially leaves EP I fonts open (Qui Gon & Maul), and an ESB... although I think Jon did that too?? Sometimes I get confused.

Anyway... again, I'm glad to make a font, but--I have to have the specific sounds first. Sometimes they are hard to come by, or... in the case of the movies here (SW)... sometimes the sounds are all kinda mixed together and there is no real: "this is qui-gon ONLY sounds" and "these sounds ONLY occur in mauls' saber".

If that was true, I'm not sure we'd all be having these kinds of conversations, heheh

DACOTA
04-15-2008, 10:47 PM
I appreciate all your work on these font, but I prefer standard saber fonts but I do like these crazy ones too but I probably wouldnt use them, but still, they are very cool.

And one more for the road, but........ :lol:

Novastar
04-15-2008, 11:07 PM
Ah... I'm working on an Episode I "Mauly" sounds one now...

Won't be *TOO* unique, but--I think he did indeed have some of "his own sounds" now that I've listened with a keener ear.

It's certainly not the idiotic sounds in the Force FX board. I mean... come on, the "Vader" board and the "Maul" board are identical with regard to sound... and both WRONG, lol. :)

Novastar
04-16-2008, 03:12 AM
Ok, Darth Maul EP I font... DONE! :)

Sounds pretty darn good too...

To be released with the other fonts... keep your eyes (ears?) open!

Novastar
04-16-2008, 01:38 PM
* NecroVolt updated with improved clash sounds -- much better!!!
* Jonitus "Zen" font -- completed!! But I will leave it up to Jon as to when we release...
* Elemental: H2O font -- completed! I like this one, it's a lot of fun!
* Jones -- completed, as you all know...

The video game font is proving to be a tough one because... you know... it's like... what to PICK??! I mean, it's almost as if it should be like:

* video game: mario
* video game: zelda
* video game: half-life, portal-ish,
etc,

or somethin'. And besides... I dunno who's going to care much about those fonts??? I dunno. People would have to tell me I guess, lol.

Novastar
04-17-2008, 11:10 PM
Oh wow! CF on Saturday! Yes, it's coming on Saturday. And here I was thinking end of April, heheh... but... glad to know more folks will be getting the buttery goodness! YAY! I'm glad the speakers made it in so quickly...

Also... everyone... keep your eyes peeled for the upcoming "Novastar's CF Sound Compendium"!!! That's right... have even MORE fun with your sabers!

ON A CD!! Yup, an actual pretty little CD... probably LightScribe if I can muster it...

Hopefully to include:

* With any luck... the CF GUI! Depends on a few things...
* ALL fonts I've created (including upgrades to older ones!)
* That means like at least 6 new fonts as well!!!
* Versions 2.x to 4.x of CF supported
* New menu sounds along with menu background "CF logo" sounds...
* Easy to "copy & paste" directories
* "Choose your own" sounds... where you can now select if you want (for example) a Push or Blaster or Choke or whatever. Different choices for different sound fonts!
* Test/preview your sound font
* Pre-set configuration files (you need only change the switch= and current= parameters!)

Bonuses:

* Probably Staged Combat Tutorial Video (I've been working on this for a few months, and it's pretty extensive)
* Probably the "250 Battle" that was being worked on for BOP III before the plug got pulled essentially.
* High-quality version of the saber videos I've made.
* Whatever else I think is both relevant and pertinent to the CF entourage and stuff...

I still have to figure out how to edit the above voter/poll thing so that new entries can be made... but... oh well, slow going, heheh.

DACOTA
04-18-2008, 09:09 AM
They should give you the title of keeper of the buttered toast sounds. Great work Nova! Cant wait to hear'em.:p

Novastar
04-18-2008, 05:04 PM
Nah, no titles needed. I'm just Novastar...

People who don't know what I do can EASILY find out via my youtube ID... watch the BOP performances... see the videos... and decide for themselves.

"Chimp in a suit" works too... ;) hahahahah

DarthFender
04-19-2008, 07:23 PM
Well then, Mr. Chimp in a Suit...

I really like the Episodes II and IV fonts you did for the 3.1 release. I did have to clip the bit at the end of the poweroff sound on EpIV. It was very cool and very artistic to have Obiwan's voice, but a little to artsy for my purposes. But I really enjoyed the sounds you chose for the font. Keep up the great work.

BTW is it Mr Chimp in a Suit, or just Chimp in a Suit?

Novastar
04-20-2008, 11:39 AM
The new CD will have custom versions of any "special" on/off sounds and blasters and force sounds, giving a range of "simple" to "complex" for all of them.

As you know--MOST people include only *ONE* sound of any type... I'm hoping to include SEVERAL so that people have an even LARGER choice!

...as if they don't have enough choice already with CF, hahahah. Geez, talk about the mother lode of customizable! We will have "customizable" coming out of our EARS and BUTTS.

Dictionary ---> look up "customizable --> definition?

= Crystal Focus. The End.

BlackDOG
04-20-2008, 03:26 PM
I am still waiting on confirmation of my demands for your CD compendium, Mr. Nova Starr......

See my post in the "trail of tears"...I mean way to CF v. 4 thread. :):):):):)

I cannot wait for the cd...it will take me a month to figure out what font to use.

BD

Novastar
04-21-2008, 03:28 AM
Wha..??! Oh cool, requests?

Do tell... I don't know what you mean... are they posted somewhere else... is that what you are saying?

Novastar
04-21-2008, 04:11 AM
I PROMISE that this kind of sound font will *NOT* be appearing on the CD.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=inuZE7Mm6QY

heheheh

Although it's pretty HIGH-larious. :)

BlackDOG
04-22-2008, 01:58 PM
Here it is Nova:

Post #158
http://forums.thecustomsabershop.com/showthread.php?t=4243&page=16

And I do expect the CD to be light scribed with a catchy emblem.

JK....

I cant wait for a GOOEY(GUI) and the cd...heck I'll even donate again! You rock, my friend!

BD

Novastar
04-22-2008, 06:42 PM
hey, I'm just a chimp in a suit... I just go where the CF tells me, hahahah.

Oh, I got your requests now:

BLACKDOG WROTE:

OK...I must demand the following things along with the above mentioned material:

1. A detailed "Hat Whipping" tutorial, including bonus write ups on lamp smashing and key board smacking.
---hmm... my g/f... hate this she would. See this tutorial you will not. ;)

2. A scanned copy of prescription for anti-inflamitory meds after the 250 filiming sequence incuding the famous twist we all heard about.
---hmm... I *CAN* say that I was indeed SERIOUSLY sore *EVERY*where after filming. Might have been b/c of the fractured spine and being out-of-shape/workout for a month...

3. A copy of any and all early 1980's era text only video games.
---I can give you a list of what I loved playing, hahahah

4. A lock of Greytail hare (Could not resist the pun) sealed in a protective cache and certified by the Franklin Mint as "ACTUAL GRAYTALE HAIR" lopped off after BOP II.
---Hey! That's my padawan braid, a-hole!!! hahahahah

5. 8x10 Glossy photograph of Novastar in the Indy getup signed in BROWN SHARPIE MARKER.
---Now we're goin' TOO far, lol... but at least I ain't Barnaby Jones yet... although... shouldn't the new Jones flick be Indiana Jones and the Lost Metamucil or 1-a-day Centrum? ahhahahah

6. Lifetime Membership card for the "No CF....No Whining Club" numbered below #5.
---Seriously though, these fonts take TIME and effort. No whining gord-dangit.

7. A certified flaming by xwingband, Tim or their legal designee for further derailing this thread with my Novastar-eque silliness.
---No one can emulate my silliness. Not even me.

Some CF Sound CD Compendium updates:

* Zen font is completed
* Water font is completed
* Episode I Maul font is completed and further "pimped out"
* Necrovolt font is completed and further pimped...
* Compiled several example "tracks" for CF (SW themes, mainly)
* 'Extras' sound library completed
* 250 Battle video completed and pimped out
* NSCS (Novastar's Combat System) video completed and pimped out
* Lightscribe CDs have arrived and are ready when I am...

There are still things to do (lots), but... only a matter of time now. Not much time either. I should be done by EOM or maybe mid-May if things get really backed up.

BlackDOG
04-23-2008, 12:34 PM
To Master Greytale, we must listen.

Master Plecter, working many nights, he has.

When at peace, your are, when quiet, when not whining about not having a soundfont or Cf you are,there find the way of the Jedi, you will.

You are to be comended for your work Nova......lotsa hours there.

Many thanks. Sign me up for a CD...less the braid!;)

bd
BTW...you aren't Barnaby Jones? Curious. I thought you were.......LOLZ

Novastar
04-23-2008, 02:00 PM
More about the CD and upcoming fonts...

http://youtube.com/watch?v=vjLS0J2AiMQ

:)

BlackDOG
04-25-2008, 09:15 AM
You know what I love about that video?

I love the Brady Bunch sort of look you give to the area the text will appear in. I have laughed so hard....

I have watched that video like 3 times and I laugh every time.

bd

SWAT Strachan
05-03-2008, 09:57 AM
Right, now before anyone starts criticising the following sound clip, I only cobbled in together in about 20 minutes, but it gives an idea for another sound font if anyone wants to try and make it. I call it...

The Unholy Alliance (http://homepage.ntlworld.com/swat.strachan/Untitled.mp3).

Ooo I'm gonna get flamed for this one :mrgreen:.

Novastar
05-03-2008, 07:05 PM
Sounds interesting! Why would you get flamed?! Maybe I'm missing something, heheh.

I might as well update people a bit on the upcoming Sound CD too:

* I might be throwing in some kind of EP V & EP VI fonts if I can do it without them sounding too much like other fonts...

* Madcow (Rob) has agreed that his upcoming "Heirloom" font will become available through the CD... so... special thanks to Rob on that!

* VIDEO TUTORIALS! Oh yeah... I finally busted out six... was it six?? I think six new video tutorials on working with Goldwave and editing files, mixing, etc. etc. It should help people with little to no experience, but I'm not going to go into GIANT depth and make uber-advanced tutorials. WAAAY too much time as it is on this thing!

* I still don't know the price yet... I might make a thread to suggest people to throw their suggestions out there... but... we'll see.

One thing is for certain... whatever the limit is on a CD (like 700MB or something?)... it's going to be BLOODY FULL of data. Throngs of files. Hordes of sound. Legions of help. Tons of wackiness. It's kinda gonna be like a sort of "2nd" magnum opus for me compared to maybe BOP III... whenever THAT will happen! Sheesh. ;)

SHEESH. :D

SWAT Strachan
05-04-2008, 04:11 AM
Well, I sourced the sound effects from episodes of Star Trek, hence the 'Unholy Alliance' name :mrgreen:.

DARTH KALEL
05-04-2008, 12:35 PM
I am looking for a great saber font, something that is really loud and prolonged on ignition. almost like a mix of vader sound and plasma sound, and I need a transformers, transforming font for power up and down for optimus saber.

Drichar Deis
05-04-2008, 02:19 PM
Well, I sourced the sound effects from episodes of Star Trek, hence the 'Unholy Alliance' name :mrgreen:.

SHAME ON YOU!

Novastar
05-04-2008, 10:40 PM
Well, I've now got some solid work on EP V and VI sound fonts... and additionally the whole "Electro Staff" sounds.

All of these come directly from the movies and won't really contain anything "new", unless you count my work to mix, adjust, filter noise, make 'lockup' lengths work, and so forth.

Geez, I hope they fit on the CD!!!! It's getting PACKED!!!!

Novastar
05-05-2008, 04:39 AM
Updates for my upcoming Sound CD:

* New, alternate hum mixture & lockup that is more "screen accurate" for Episode II. So... now there are TWO versions of EP II. :)

* SW Episode V and Episode VI fonts being added... I took these sounds directly from the movies and worked them in a way so that music and foley sounds are not present, so... they're about as screen accurate as you'll hear (to a point). They have SOME of "my own" flair added, but... not much!

* SW Electro Staff being added...

* "Magic Saber" font almost complete

* A bunch of video tutorials on mixing your OWN sounds (using Goldwave), and also a tutorial on how to correctly copy files over to your SD card without causing problems.

* Bonus sound library is getting RIDICULOUS, and that is a GOOD thing! It means a wonderous variety of sounds for people to work from and with... and in combination with the tutorials... ANYONE will be able to try their hand at soundmaking for CF!

List of fonts that will 100% for certain DEFINITELY be on the CD:
(and this means "new" versions in some cases!)
...in alphabetical order:

* Ancient Saber
* Blackstar
* Chainsaw!
* Elemental: H2O
* Indiana Jones Whip
* Kung Fu Fightin'!
* Elemental: Magic
* Nano Deus Tachi
* NecroVolt Staff
* Novastar
* Phoenix Pyre (also doubles as "Elemental: Fire" in a way!)
* Satori 'Zen' Saber (inspired by Jonitus' request for sound)
* Steel Sword
* SW Electro Staff
* SW Episode I -- (extremely screen accurate)
* SW Episode II -- (two versions now! newest more screen acc.)
* SW Episode IV -- (now with more lockup sounds to select!)
* SW Episode V -- (extremely screen accurate)
* SW Episode VI -- (extremely screen accurate)

THAT'S NINETEEN FONTS!! :)

I'll shoot for at least 20 though... heheh

List of fonts that are currently being jerks to me and not going as I'd hoped:

* Video Game Font -- (it's harder to choose what sounds to use than I thought)
* Elemental: Earth -- (it's coming along, but... I'm having trouble with selecting some sounds)
* That's it!

Ok... back to work I go...

valeon
05-06-2008, 01:26 AM
For the video game fonts, just use a bunch of recognizable 8-bit/arcade sound effects. All ages can relate to that, considering the 8-bit saga being a fad right now (the olden days were good, but dang, we have 3D NOW......3D!). Just think, who doesn't know the sound of mario jumping, or the theme to tetris.

Novastar
05-06-2008, 06:32 AM
For the video game fonts, just use a bunch of recognizable 8-bit/arcade sound effects. All ages can relate to that, considering the 8-bit saga being a fad right now (the olden days were good, but dang, we have 3D NOW......3D!). Just think, who doesn't know the sound of mario jumping, or the theme to tetris.Right, I've been approaching it with the mario and link sounds, but... that is actually the problem. Too many well-known games to choose from... and also... music is EXTREMELY hard to do with CF (not talking about the iSaber mode)... believe me.

Kung Fu and Indiana Jones (ones with music) are MUCH more difficult to arrange correctly than you might believe...

But we'll see what I can do on the Video Game Font... it MIGHT not make it on the CD. Same with Earth Elemental.

It's tough work staying creative! it's one thing to copy some sounds, another to make your own... and a HUGE OTHER BALLGAME to continuously re-invent, invent, invent new sounds.

That is why Ben Burtt was so cool... heheh

Jedi554
05-06-2008, 03:14 PM
Now, I may not have a CF board, but my top favorites are as follows:

1. Novastar
2. Blackstar
3. Episode II
4. Phoenix Pyre Sword
5. Ancient Saber
6. NecroVolt
7. Indiana Jones
EDIT: Should add Kung Fu in my favorites as well :)
All the fonts are great, though. Wish I had the money to buy a CF.

Novastar
05-18-2008, 02:17 AM
Well, I'm almost at the finish line (I hope!)... :)

The goal is looking to release on May 22nd (yup, when Jones IV comes out)... I hope I can do it.

Here's what you should expect to see/hear:

v1

* 720MB of information (30MB more, and... well... I can't fit anything else!)
* 19 Sound Fonts (10 of which are totally 100% NEW... while the other 9 are edited/upgraded/adjusted/optimized)
* Support for ALL versions of CF (except none for v1, and limited for v1.2)
* Unique config.txt files for every version of CF... and every single font--with varying light driving parameters
* Menu Selection Sounds for all fonts, including a few extra menu backgrounds as well...
* Bonus Sounds which range from blasters to "BOP style" extras and alternate poweron/offs, hums, lockups, etc.
* 8 Video Tutorials about sound manipulation in general, using CF, and the Goldwave tool. Entertaining too! :)
* 1 Staged Combat Tutorial... twelve minutes long, and perfect for huge nerds of all kinds!
* The "250 Battle"... pitting Cael vs. Blackstar--both sporting Plecter v2.61-driven sabers with TCSS parts
* 4 Text Tutorials... simple ones on blade film creation, troubleshooting CF & SD card issues, etc.
* One fully working and live turkey... totally kidding. Made you look. ;0
* 2 Bonus Videos (I wanted to put on many more, but... no more ROOM!!!!)

For those STILL toting v1.2 CFs--I might be willing to "do requests" on altering existing 16-bit fonts to fit the 8-bit v1.2s, but... right now I'm only including a few of them on the CD.

Kant Lavar
05-18-2008, 05:22 AM
Want.

Now.

Nownownownownownownownow.

SWAT Strachan
05-18-2008, 05:31 AM
Want.

Now.

Nownownownownownownownow.Wot 'e said :mrgreen:.

Malaki Skywalker
05-18-2008, 06:40 AM
I can't wait for it! How long and how much for this bad boy?? :p

Gijus Sudet
05-18-2008, 06:33 PM
Are you going to have a sign up list for the CD? Or is it first come, first serve. Personally i am really excited about this, and i don't even have my CF V4 yet. I got lucky and got one of the last ones when Erv' did the small batch orders. Please keep us updated on this. I just need to know where to send the $. LOL.
Now to focus on finishing my hilt so its all ready to go when the CF comes. So much work, so little time.

Kant Lavar
05-18-2008, 11:34 PM
Actually, he may do as many as he can get orders for, especially if he collects up-front. Burning a CD, once you have the content worked out, is so much easier than, say, building a Crystal Focus card by hand, that time really won't be an issue. Heck, if he collects money up-front, he'll have the cash to go buy as many CDs as he needs. 50 LightScribe CD-Rs are only, what, $20? And the same amount will get you double that number if LightScribe isn't an issue...

Hooray for technology.

Novastar
05-19-2008, 02:40 AM
It's definitely not a question of buying the CDs, lol! The only thing left in question now is how long it takes to LightScribe on my computer (and if it works--never tried), and go from there.

But you know--if for whatever reason L-scribing "fails"... I will either revert to "labeling" with--you know, CD labels, or find some other way to get things done.

The only thing out of the question would be going to a company and having them mass-produced. It's way too expensive for someone like me... just a business of ONE... and making CDs is *NOT* my primary business!! :D

I still am unsure of the price, but again, it will not be $20 nor will it be $75. :)

SWAT Strachan
05-19-2008, 05:26 AM
Lightscribing is relatively easy and takes about 10-15 minutes per disk (depending on drive speed). Also Lightscribing isn't really a process that can 'fail' as you're not writing data and there's no need to verify anything, so the odd pixel out of place doesn't make the slightest bit of difference :mrgreen:.

Put me down for one when they're ready.

Mad Hatter
05-19-2008, 09:01 AM
But you know--if for whatever reason L-scribing "fails"... I will either revert to "labeling" with--you know, CD labels, or find some other way to get things done.

If you happen to have a canon printer, many models can be hacked to print directly on CD's. Canon nerfs their U.S. printers so they won't print CDs due to US patent conflict. But you can buy a tray on Ebay and change the printer config to make the printer think it is a UK model...

I now have the entire MST3K library on DVD, complete with schmancy disc graphics. :)

Novastar
05-19-2008, 04:44 PM
Lightscribing is relatively easy and takes about 10-15 minutes per disk (depending on drive speed). Also Lightscribing isn't really a process that can 'fail' as you're not writing data and there's no need to verify anything, so the odd pixel out of place doesn't make the slightest bit of difference :mrgreen:.

Put me down for one when they're ready.Thanks SWAT! That is good info to know... I'm looking forward to making the first few tests either late tonight or tomorrow.

As to "pre-orders" or what not--they won't be needed, as... well... unless LightScribe CDs drop off the face of the earth (or is that EBAY, lol)... or my L-scribe drive dies or whatever... I will simply make as many as there are orders for them.

In the beginning I might be a bit slow on the shipping if I haven't "printed enough fast enough", but... that won't be for long. It would simply mean gee, have to wait a whole day more, darn.

I do not as of yet know about the whole shipping overseas thing. I hope it's simple. It's just a bloody dang CD. How much could it be to ship?

....(famous last words), lol

SpectreT65
05-19-2008, 07:24 PM
heh. famous last words, indeed. But seriously, Erv' has done a ton of international shipping to the US. he can probably tell you all about international shipping. and Postal Authorities. :D

eastern57
05-19-2008, 08:23 PM
If you're strapped for free time... Kinko's does bulk cd writing, cheap too..

Kant Lavar
05-20-2008, 07:00 AM
It's definitely not a question of buying the CDs, lol! The only thing left in question now is how long it takes to LightScribe on my computer (and if it works--never tried), and go from there.

The only thing out of the question would be going to a company and having them mass-produced. It's way too expensive for someone like me... just a business of ONE... and making CDs is *NOT* my primary business!! :D

I still am unsure of the price, but again, it will not be $20 nor will it be $75. :)

Nova, you could just leave it blank or scribble your name on it with a Sharpie. Content trumps packaging for this instance.

If you're strapped for free time... Kinko's does bulk cd writing, cheap too..

QFE.

Stevegel
05-20-2008, 12:50 PM
Nova, why don't you sell it on the internet. Pay and download,quick and easy. so some user's oversea don't have to wait 2 weeks or so. set up a paypal account and a link when they pay.
less work for you in the long run.

Novastar
05-20-2008, 02:16 PM
Good idea Steve (and thanks for that link to the Italian "open source" product--neat)... but... I prefer a physical product in this case.

It's also about 700MB to 750MB of information, so... if you don't want to store that information on a hard drive (or your OWN backup CD to burn), I think it's more professional of me to give you guys something tangible. Erv and I agreed on that--tangible like the saber props themselves... nothing as nice as that! :)

Also I *hope* that having a physical product in SOME ways discourages privacy. As we know, "Johnny Jedi" could buy the CD and then just share with eight of his friends down the block, copying files, burning CDs and such... and too much of that kind of thing would most likely prevent me from releasing further stuff... but... there is nothing ANY of us can do about it.

It's kind of funny--over the years of my life, I've made it pretty "standard practice" *NEVER* to "boot-leg" games or applications and all that. Not even Windows. I have almost always bought the software, whether full retail if need be or discounted by buying used software on something like ebay or half, etc.

I used to program in college, and had a lot of buddies who did, so... I had perspective about what it feels like when your artwork, hard work, study, and craftsmanship are taken for granted--now simply "a bunch of files"... no longer--someone's time and efforts!!!

Anyhow... all good thoughts and ideas guys, thanks!! Oh, and I did indeed check with Erv on the international mailing thing... we'll see how it goes.

Stevegel
05-20-2008, 05:10 PM
Nova no problem, but remember someone can order the CD and zip it up and send it over the internet. Your product is for the C.F. if a user doesn't have the board what's the point. you can also zip the file with a password and only give it to the user's that paid for it.

Also, web site like megaupload.com or rapidshare.com you can store 2g files at a time (they got big bandwidth pipes). you give the end user a choice CD or download. i've sold DVD'S before and let me tell you 3 off us can't kept up with the orders. lol

I've got 3 hack sony psp, only a handful of games are good and if their good i'll buy it. Enduser with the crystal forcus (i'll get one when it's available) will
buy and do the same and support your work. ;)

jpbeck
05-20-2008, 08:31 PM
I'm hoping they are done in the morning-- I'll be getting one as soon as you say the word.

Count Malik
05-21-2008, 08:45 AM
Once I get used to my new CF I wanna try to make a sound font(s). Just for fun.:D

Novastar
05-21-2008, 02:08 PM
Nova no problem, but remember someone can order the CD and zip it up and send it over the internet.Right. There is absolutely nothing I can do about people wishing to ignore my work, time and efforts. Just the same, I'm sticking to my OWN code of professionalism, and I think a physical product is best.

Just because certain individuals in the universe are going to be disrespectful and "jerk-off"-like... doesn't mean *I* have to do so! :) I would prefer to credit those who buy with the intentions to use just for themselves with a good product... rather than punish them because there will be some SLACKERS. :D heheheh McFly, you slacker! :)

Your product is for the C.F. if a user doesn't have the board what's the point.Ah, not true. There are many tutorials on the CD that do not necessarily need to relate to CF. The staged combat tutorial for example. Additionally, any of the sounds could be saved in any format you like... and thus be used for... well, whatever you like. Fan films... video games... mixing & matching to make your "own" new sound font... whatever.

I've sold DVD'S before and let me tell you 3 off us can't kept up with the orders. lolThis is a good point, but if I'm guessing correctly, this won't be the kind of thing that will suddenly boast hundreds of customers. I think that over time, I'll get a few at a time.

Even *IF* "everyone" with CF buys all at once... I'll make an announcement that people need to be patient, and thus... if I get 100 orders all at once... I'll do them one at a time. Still shouldn't take long. Even if you're #100, you'll probably need to wait all of a "few extra days" forward of the ship date. But we'll see.

I've got 3 hack sony psp, only a handful of games are good and if their good i'll buy it. Enduser with the crystal forcus (i'll get one when it's available) will buy and do the same and support your work. ;)As always, I appreciate this. And again, yup--nothing any of us can do about piracy. It's to be expected, and as I've spoken with Erv--he and I agree that... well, it's sorta a COMPLIMENT if people are going to suddenly copy your work all over the place.

Now, I doubt it will be a "big issue", but I'm certain if there are 10 kids in a neighborhood, all with CF (unlikely??? but possible??!)... they might ALL decide to get the CD and go from there. In some ways, I understand that. Just hopefully people won't just buy one and then get on the threads saying: "Ok, I'm posting Novastar's CD online for EVERYONE to take as needed. Enjoy. Screw Novastar, we don't like him anyhow." :) heheheh

If THAT happens, well... maybe those who *DO* appreciate me... will simply *NOT* copy, and flame/flag that user/person. But for those who *DO* dislike me... your will is your own. Not to be cheesy but... you must follow your own destiny.

As for me... piracy isn't really a part of who I am. :)

[BACK TO WORK, ALMOST THERE, I'VE CONFIRMED ALL FILES ARE 100% PERFECT WITH NO FORMAT ERRORS... ALL FILES LOADED 100%, SO... TIME TO BURN THOSE LITTLE CD GUYS!!!!]

Angelus Lupus
05-21-2008, 03:03 PM
"Screw Novastar, we don't like him anyhow." :)

Yeah! Who does he think he is, comming up with all those great soundfonts and tutorials? :D

Seriously tho, I'll be wanting to get my hands on the soundfonts, the number of options/tweaks you're providing is crazy go nuts!
Kudos!

Novastar
05-21-2008, 03:14 PM
Thanks my friend... and you're right--I'm seriously looking at THREE-THOUSAND-TWO-HUNDRED files right now.

And, it's one thing to say "I have more than 3200 files on my HD", no joke... but... we're talking about 3200 files, about half of which are HAND-EDITED/MODIFIED/TWEAKED or otherwise created... files. Yes, that's right. I edited about 1000 to 1500 files here. It's just insane.

Each and every config.txt file for EACH of the fonts for EACH of the versions of CF... needed to be configured correctly. The only the user will technically have to change is the LED's current (duh) and the switch variable to indicate a momentary or latching for the on/off. Other options can be left alone... or modified.

So anyhow... believe you me whoever is reading... you couldn't POSSIBLY be dissatisfied. Unless you're already a seasoned sound engineer with the time and patience to create 19 of your OWN fonts. :)

Oh, yeah and make your own staged combat tutorial. Oh, and a 250-move live battle sequence. Oh, and.... well, whatever! You get the jist. ;)

Angelus Lupus
05-21-2008, 05:17 PM
So basically, unless you're Ben Burt, you have no right to be dissing the effort that's gone into this?

Novastar
05-22-2008, 05:39 AM
http://i280.photobucket.com/albums/kk165/greytale/PromoPhoto_01.jpg

Well, they are looking GREAT, folks! :) I like how the LightScribe turned out, even if it isn't the "top top" way like some kind of super-printer with color, uber-speed and all that. But... this will suffice for a professional look + the uniqueness I like to add to most anything I do.

Unfortunately, there are STILL a few delays (minor ones):

* I need to confirm with Erv something minor (but important) about the way I've tweaked the config.txt files. [[FIGURED OUT / DONE]]

* I cannot copy the data over to the CDs until I confirm the above with Erv... [[HAPPENING AFTER I GO SEE JONES IV w/ my FATHER]]

* ...BUT, I can LightScribe tons ahead of time! Which I've done... there's about 15 already scribed... :) []

* I need to get an idea of postage to all over the bloody place in order to determine the best "flat price" to charge... or figure out some special way to get shipping in there.

UPDATES:

* Slight convenient upgrade to the "tracks" folder config.txt file so you can remember what music goes with what track
* I've further "pimped out" the blaster2,3,4 and force2 files...
* Erv will be carrying some physically--which will get sent out with some CF should it be requested (something to this effect)
* Other saber-smiths *MAY* carry it physically. I don't know yet.
* Several folks are fine with a "link" that essentially sends you to my PayPal setup and it all ends up through me.
* Payment will be via PayPal... if you do not have it--you can send a check to me, and when it clears--I send to YOU!
* If shipping is reasonable (overall in and out of the U.S.), the price will probably stay at the [U]"SW nerdy" cost of $38.11. Probably!

I certainly HOPE I don't have to charge $11.38 to anyone for shipping outside of the U.S. If I have to add anything, I hope it's merely $1.38! But, we'll have to see.

Enjoy Jones IV...

I will do my best to have everything 100% "set in stone" and ready by tonight if not earlier, but... it's definitely a go! And there should be little worry of "not having enough". If I begin to get close to the max of what I currently have... I'll get more L-Scribe CDs and burn more. ;)

I: "I'm goin' after that truck."
S: "How?"
I: "... ... ... Ida know, I'm... makin' this up as I go!"

:)

Stevegel
05-22-2008, 07:56 AM
Looking Great Nova, looking forward to buy it. when I get a C.F. ;)

Ram21
05-22-2008, 04:29 PM
Thanks for the updates Nova, can't wait to purchase.

BlackDOG
05-23-2008, 05:45 AM
I'M In.......

Novastar
05-24-2008, 03:36 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CXqVDgz3woQ

;)

All I can say is... 1138... well... a little bit tweaked... 3811...

Thanks to everyone for their support!!

Especially Tim for allowing me to post this kind of thing in here. I hope I've not offended anyone... I wouldn't like to be struck down by some LED saber-wielding brigand in a dark alley on a cause of my CD... ;)

Take care... and have fun... with... .... ... ... OH, YOU KNOW...!!

SWAT Strachan
05-24-2008, 06:22 AM
Order placed :).

jpbeck
05-24-2008, 09:25 AM
Order Placed----------- hope I'm one of the few that gets your autograph.

All right, Mr. Novastar, I'm ready for my close-up.

Hot shot :)
Joe

eastern57
05-24-2008, 10:55 AM
got one, Novestar. btw have any of you played with a v4 yet? holy crap, they're way different. different as in awesomerer.

Malaki Skywalker
05-24-2008, 11:11 AM
Dam it! Out of cash for a little while :rolleyes:

Nova, this is such a great idea! The price is VERY fair for such awesomeness on a CD! Buttered toast now has GRILLED CHEESE :mrgreen:

Novastar
05-24-2008, 04:30 PM
LOL @ grilled cheese! hehehhe... maybe more like... now, you TRULY get to CHOOSE your condiments/spreads... raspberry jam, apricot if you like, cream cheese, syrup and eggs... or maybe we can just say it's like the Bard's play:

"As You Like It" (or What You Will)

;)

Oh, and no one worry about the funds for now... the CD will be there later on, and won't be nearly as much of a "rarity" as CF *itself* is!!

eastern57
05-24-2008, 06:55 PM
Dangit, Nova... now I'm hungry

kazei maru
05-24-2008, 09:01 PM
Updates for my upcoming Sound CD:

* New, alternate hum mixture & lockup that is more "screen accurate" for Episode II. So... now there are TWO versions of EP II. :)

* SW Episode V and Episode VI fonts being added... I took these sounds directly from the movies and worked them in a way so that music and foley sounds are not present, so... they're about as screen accurate as you'll hear (to a point). They have SOME of "my own" flair added, but... not much!

* SW Electro Staff being added...

* "Magic Saber" font almost complete

* A bunch of video tutorials on mixing your OWN sounds (using Goldwave), and also a tutorial on how to correctly copy files over to your SD card without causing problems.

* Bonus sound library is getting RIDICULOUS, and that is a GOOD thing! It means a wonderous variety of sounds for people to work from and with... and in combination with the tutorials... ANYONE will be able to try their hand at soundmaking for CF!

List of fonts that will 100% for certain DEFINITELY be on the CD:
(and this means "new" versions in some cases!)
...in alphabetical order:

* Ancient Saber
* Blackstar
* Chainsaw!
* Elemental: H2O
* Indiana Jones Whip
* Kung Fu Fightin'!
* Elemental: Magic
* Nano Deus Tachi
* NecroVolt Staff
* Novastar
* Phoenix Pyre (also doubles as "Elemental: Fire" in a way!)
* Satori 'Zen' Saber (inspired by Jonitus' request for sound)
* Steel Sword
* SW Electro Staff
* SW Episode I -- (extremely screen accurate)
* SW Episode II -- (two versions now! newest more screen acc.)
* SW Episode IV -- (now with more lockup sounds to select!)
* SW Episode V -- (extremely screen accurate)
* SW Episode VI -- (extremely screen accurate)

THAT'S NINETEEN FONTS!! :)

I'll shoot for at least 20 though... heheh

List of fonts that are currently being jerks to me and not going as I'd hoped:

* Video Game Font -- (it's harder to choose what sounds to use than I thought)
* Elemental: Earth -- (it's coming along, but... I'm having trouble with selecting some sounds)
* That's it!

Ok... back to work I go...

Master Greytale, I've just read this forum topic & am a deciple of Crystal Focus V3.0. Meaning that I still have to get it wired up & finish my ROTJ saber. I'll then have to get familiar with the adding of fonts to the board. I'd really be interested in buying a CD. How do I put in my order for one? An autographed one would really be awsome!

xwingband
05-24-2008, 09:36 PM
Watch the youtube video.

Kant Lavar
05-25-2008, 12:03 AM
Can someone PM me the information on how to order one of these lovlies?

(Can't get on YouTube at work, and the internet in the MWR tents out here is crap -when it works at all! - and won't play YouTube videos.)

SWAT Strachan
05-25-2008, 03:07 AM
Can someone PM me the information on how to order one of these lovlies?

(Can't get on YouTube at work, and the internet in the MWR tents out here is crap -when it works at all! - and won't play YouTube videos.)Go to http://www.thecuttingedge.s5.com/bop/nstar_cd.html and use the PayPal link :).

Kant Lavar
05-25-2008, 04:31 AM
Sweet. Now all I need is money. (Come on, Friday!)

Novastar
05-25-2008, 12:20 PM
Thanks for posting the links guys! I could have sworn I posted the necessary links for ordering, but... maybe I messed up.

Either way, to repeat:

You go to youtube to see a little bit about the CD on video:

...and then to my website to purchase.
http://thecuttingedge.s5.com/bop/nstar_cd.html

It's quite true that going to my "main" index.html page for The Cutting Edge does not currently have any links to the N-Star CD page... I'll get to that later, but... for now I think the above is plenty.

Off to work! :) Again, thanks for all of the support, and if you don't have the money now, don't worry--the CD will not be "going out of stock". Now that the work is complete, it's only a matter of me L-Scribing and getting it to you.

The first 10 orders were in in the first 8 hours of ordering (maybe sooner)... so... personalization time... :cool: Oh, and Yoda's visiting me as well (from FX-sabers).

Ram21
05-25-2008, 01:47 PM
Ordered, thank you Nova for your work.

kazei maru
05-25-2008, 10:06 PM
Thanks for posting the links guys! I could have sworn I posted the necessary links for ordering, but... maybe I messed up.

Either way, to repeat:

You go to youtube to see a little bit about the CD on video:

...and then to my website to purchase.
http://thecuttingedge.s5.com/bop/nstar_cd.html

It's quite true that going to my "main" index.html page for The Cutting Edge does not currently have any links to the N-Star CD page... I'll get to that later, but... for now I think the above is plenty.

Off to work! :) Again, thanks for all of the support, and if you don't have the money now, don't worry--the CD will not be "going out of stock". Now that the work is complete, it's only a matter of me L-Scribing and getting it to you.

The first 10 orders were in in the first 8 hours of ordering (maybe sooner)... so... personalization time... :cool: Oh, and Yoda's visiting me as well (from FX-sabers).

Darn, I just ordered the CD's an hour or so ago after I found the link on Erv's site. Does this mean I missed the chance for an autographed CD? Bummer!

Novastar
05-27-2008, 04:25 AM
Ola everyone...

Well, holy moses! SOOOO many orders coming in, I don't know if I can keep up, hheheheh! Fortunately, the really tough work is behind me (I think?), so... let's see... what shall I say:

* Thanks, folks!! So far, there have been about 30 orders... in barely one weekend!! Rock & roll!!!
* Clearly, the first 10 personalized copies are already set in stone, so... thanks for that too!
* Demos/previews of each font will be available on the CD itself, but I'm afraid I will not really "fully demo" any of the new fonts online anymore. That being said, I can safely say that the SW fonts are really close to "definitive" in most cases. I mean... they are DIRECTLY from the films... so--I can't get much more accurate! :)
* I made a mistake and thought 750mb could fit on the LightScribe CDs, but... duh, only 700mb. So, I took out 2 "bonus vids" which were just high-qual versions of two youtube vids I had (Indiana Jones demo & tribute to Erv)
* MadCow (Rob Petkau) and I sort of touched bases about his "Heirloom" font, and it has been added to the CD, so... much thanks to Rob for that! I'm sure it will help get HIS name out there too!
* CD orders that have been placed already should go out this week... maybe as late as Friday, but... probably not so far out in the week.

Also... I had forgotten to LIST the fonts that are going onto the CD (alphabetically):

Ancient Saber
Blackstar
Chainsaw
Elemental - H2O
Heirloom Relic (by Madcow)
Indiana Jones Whip
Kung Fu Fightin'!
Magic Saber
Nano Deus Tachi
NecroVolt Staff
Novastar
Phoenix Pyre
Satori 'Zen' Saber
Steel Sword
SW ElectroStaff Sounds
SW EP I Sounds
SW EP II Sounds
SW EP IV Sounds
SW EP V Sounds
SW EP VI Sounds

So... yeah, that's a *LOT* of sound. A throng, a horde, a legion... a BONKLOAD of sounds. Don't forget that for CF v4, there are now 3 new blaster sounds and a new force sound... and in the case of the CD, nearly ALL of the sounds are new and not just "cut & pasted" over and over.

Additionally (as mentioned a bit before), most all of the fonts have "bonus extras" such as extra hum sounds, alternate poweron/poweroff sounds, and sometimes much more!

Finally, don't forget the "Blaster & Special Extras" folder, which contains a TON of un-mixed sounds with which you can create most any sound you like for whatever font you like. Up to you!

Alright... more on all of this later! :)

Count Malik
05-27-2008, 04:26 PM
One of these days when I get time and some more money I'll order one from you Nova. Oh! Ya,and... THANKS!!!:rolleyes::D

BlackDOG
05-28-2008, 05:57 AM
Ordered.....

Many thanks Novastar for all that work.

bd

Novastar
05-28-2008, 04:51 PM
BTW everyone, CD info is currently being burned in (after the last minute v4 config.txt "special touches"), the first 10 will be signed and placed in the mail. Probably this week.

So... most anyone who ordered should expect to see the CD somewhere around June 12th for the U.S. shipping and the 19th for outside-U.S. I'm not 100% sure on that yet, but... it seems very doable on my end despite my schedule.

And when ya get it... DON'T FORGET TO POST VIDEO/SOUND of the fonts you end up playing with! :)

One thing is for certain... with 20 sound fonts (and those are just the ones on the CD... not counting other peoples)... you'd need:

* with v2.5 and earlier... FIVE SD cards to hold all the fonts
* with v2.61 and later... THREE+ SD cards to hold all the fonts
* ...or you could just have a few Crystal Focus sabers period... one darkside, one lightside, right?

...and even then, it'd be hard to have all the fonts on there!

jpbeck
05-28-2008, 10:36 PM
BTW everyone, CD info is currently being burned in (after the last minute v4 config.txt "special touches")

Tweaker--------- :D

Novastar
06-02-2008, 06:29 PM
Ok, it's on its way to you if you purchased!

http://youtube.com/watch?v=mNvQQu_xCOo

Also... I think I'll put a more permanent "poll" on what people's favorite is on my website or something. Either that or I'll have to make a new one on TCSS since I'm able to edit it and update the poll with the new fonts. D'oh.

Enjoy! And don't forget to post a review or video or both about what you like/dislike about the CD!

jpbeck
06-02-2008, 07:12 PM
Dang man, my pay pal just cleared 5 minutes ago.

Novastar
06-03-2008, 03:32 AM
http://www.thecuttingedge.s5.com/bop/nstar_cd.html

You'll have to scroll down a bit, but I think this poll will be much more effective (at least for the CD). Also, I'm hoping to determine which "classic" and "new/N-star original" fonts people are gravitating toward.

I do realize that a GREAT PORTION of the fun is in "tweaking/editing" an existing font to suit YOUR OWN needs... and I feel silly for not including an option to select "I like my own font best", but... I don't know--20 options gives me a headache already, heheheh!! :)

Note that I *STILL* wish I could edit the poll I made on TCSS, mostly to keep adding OTHER people's fonts there (such as Delmustator's), but... Tim & I don't know how to edit polls once they've been "sent out into the wild", heheh. :)

Enjoy! :)

And PLEASE vote... it will REALLY help me to divine which fonts are "what people like", and which ones aren't worth pursuing/improving/making similar fonts of...

http://www.thecuttingedge.s5.com/bop/nstar_cd.html

(Gotta scroll down a bit and look to yer left!)

Donnovan Sunrider
08-13-2008, 10:12 AM
I don't have a CF yet, and it may be a while before I can get my hands on one. But I wanted you to know that your Phoenix Pyre YouTube demo inspired me to rethink my sabre design to work with it. That and Ancient are likely to be my primary sounds once I get it all together.

amichaels
08-13-2008, 10:40 AM
My favorite is by far the Zen font. It's low key but still classic sounding like the movie sabers.

Novastar
09-30-2008, 02:22 AM
As a matter of note, buyers will have the ability to purchase the NSCFCD at a reduced cost when "bundling" the purchase with CF.

Not 100% sure yet what the reduced cost will be. No need to offer suggestions, just saying... it's not decided for certain yet.

Novastar
12-11-2008, 06:28 AM
(feel free to help me out here, everyone... and keep in mind we don't want to go 100% *BONKERS* and expect me to do > 20 to 25 fonts... like I said before, see 75 fonts from Novastar you will NOT...)

NOTE: These are all pretty much unmade right now... SOME may have a little bit a work, while others... zilch.

THE BIG LIST -- subject to changes, input, etc.

Blaster - Judge Dredd (this is a menu font for blaster core that I did for Erv... but I could step into the blaster realm a little bit if we do some popular ones that have NOT been done already)

Corbin's Killer Bee -- TBD... depends on if Corbin even wants me to add it
Crystalline Workshop -- TBA later on... it's something Yoda and I are thinking about
Elemental: Earth -- It didn't go on the 1st CD b/c it was unfinished... maybe I can complete it
Knight Saber -- K.I.T.T. from Knight Rider
Thunder Volt -- TBA later
Tron 3.0 -- Someone was kind enough to send me some sounds on this... remind me who you are again if you're reading!!
Vidiot Fonts -- This one might turn into a few, but... you know! Mario... Zelda... Mega Man... that sort of old school thang.
Magnus Saber -- TBA later
Plasma Sword -- Halo style...

SW TFU Starkiller -- IF ANYONE CAN SEND SOME CLEAN SOUNDS, great!!! I don't have the game, nor can I get it--I have a PC and that's it...
SW EP III: Obi Ani -- probably a hybrid of saber sounds from EP III's battle
SW EP III: Sidious -- if there are enough unique sounds from EP III... Sidious! :)
SW LightWhip -- Duh... I've been wanting to do this ever since the Jones font...
SW Vibroblade -- as requested... a good idea! :)

Union?? -- I don't recall who made this, but it was a compilation of his favorite sounds I mixed??? Remind me???!?!?
Reaver?? -- If Shadeslinger wants it on there... on it goes, and I'll work with him however he wants me to do so... :)
Mongrel?? -- If Eastern57 wants it on there... on it goes, and I'll work with him however he wants me to do so... :)
-------------------------------------

I'm still open to making this more of a "This is the sound CD *FOR* the users... *BY* the users... uh, plus a little bit from myself, N-Star" kind of thing... in which case, the less "work" I do, the less the CD would cost... or... heck, I don't know, maybe I should at least TRY to think of something special to do for people who submit a font or something. Hard to say at this point. I try to be open to ideas though...

Anyhow... happy holidays (holiDAZE??) to all... and looking fwd to 2009...

Lord Maul
12-11-2008, 05:26 PM
Halo plasma sword sounds awesome. So does lightwhip. If there were any two I had to pick, those would be them.

Starkiller also has potential ;)

Hasid Lafre
12-25-2008, 12:22 AM
I think a gundam beam saber font would be killer!

Shadeslinger
02-03-2009, 10:15 AM
I haven't browsed thru here in a while, heh, heh.

Anyway, I'd be more than happy to donate the reaver soundfont, there's, um, just one problem...it got eliminated during my computer crash/overhaul. I still have the core sounds on the device I used to rip the audio, but it needs to be entirely remade. This isn't a bad thing though, as there are some changes I want to make to it (again), but honestly it's not going to be anytime soon...at all, so it's a good thing the next compilations not being released next week or anything!:D

Oh, and I've been trying to find clean lightsaber sounds from The Force Unleashed game, but even with music and voice turned off there's almost always background noise. However, during non-FMV cut scenes (mini-game boss battles) there shows some promise. If I can snag a few good ones I'll email 'em to ya Nova.