PDA

View Full Version : Newb question about blade holder...

deathscythe
08-19-2007, 07:50 PM
I'm in the process of figuring this stuff out. I have a very good idea of what I'm doing, but I've never done it before, and I thought I'd ask the folks who already know what they are doing. :wink:

My question is: what is the real purpose of the LED blade holder. I'm looking at supplementing my hardware saber with the thick walled polycarbonate tube sold here. I gather that the blade has an OD of 1 inch. In essence, is the blade holder just a part with an ID of 1 inch? Would I be able to use another part that simply has the ID of 1" to perform the same function? I guess I'm really asking how the blade holder holds the blade in the saber. Is it just a snug fit?

Thanks.

vortextwist
08-19-2007, 07:53 PM
yes but it also hold the led and optics together.

pockets
08-19-2007, 07:53 PM
the blade holder serves both to hold the blade in place, as well as hold the LED and heatsink the LED. trust me its worth the $25 in a hardware saber.

GFORCE13
08-19-2007, 08:23 PM
Yes to pockets you must listen, I would never put a Lightsaber together without one Tims Emitters. Especially if you are planning on dueling, it gives you extra solid support for the blade and makes it so much easier since it holds the Led in place and you really need the Heatsink if you want your Led to last.

Hasid Lafre
08-19-2007, 08:34 PM
its best to get a bladeholder here cause it kills 5 birds with one stone.

It holds the blade properly and strong, holds the led, optics, and heatsink in place.

deathscythe
08-19-2007, 09:31 PM
Wow, thanks for the quick response! :)
Part of the reason I ask, is because I had designed the saber to be a flashlight. It already has a very bright LED mounted and working nicely. I was just wondering if I could put a blade on it. I don't plan on dueling with it; or rather, I should say: I don't plan on dueling with it much... Perhaps lightly clanking blades together now and again, but nothing close to sparring.

So to make sure I got this absolutely right in my mind:
* the blade simply fits snug inside the blade holder
* there are no snapping or locking systems to lock it in place

If that is the case, what is keeping the blade from slipping out when you swing it around and stuff?

I must say that I am amazed at the stuff available here on the website. I plan on probably putting together a complete MHS someday.
- Oh, and thanks for the advice! :P

Hasid Lafre
08-19-2007, 09:32 PM
a thumbscrew holds the blade in the holder.

Jay-gon Jinn
08-19-2007, 09:35 PM
It is recommended to drill an tap the blade holder for a set screw or a thumbscrew to secure the blade. The blade holder alone will also not secure the heatsink. The heatsink is intended to be "sandwiched" by the blade holder and another MHS part with female threads, like the hilt pieces, ribbed extensions, or the sinktube adaptor. So, just buying the blade probably won't work for what you are trying to do.

deathscythe
08-19-2007, 09:42 PM
I had assumed...
So, the thumbscrew hole comes pre-drilled on the blade? Does the blade holder come drilled and tapped specifically for this?

Hasid Lafre
08-19-2007, 09:55 PM
no its a request thing for a charge. The bladeholder is drilled and tapted then you get a thrumscrew. but you can do it yourself with a drill and the trill and tap set.

Jay-gon Jinn
08-19-2007, 10:38 PM
You don't usually tap the blade either. The end of the screw simply puts pressure on the sidewall of the blade to keep it tight in the holder.

GFORCE13
08-19-2007, 10:54 PM
You do not drill the Blade only the Emitter about 1" down from the end and I prefer using a 10/32" Thumbscrew or if you don't mind keeping an allen wrench around you can use a setscrew so it will be fully recessed. If you do not want to do the Tapping, you can order it done for a modest extra fee.
Here a couple of Pics:http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c237/G-FORCE13/DSC00462.jpg
http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c237/G-FORCE13/DSC00463.jpg

Novastar
08-20-2007, 02:12 PM
This forum gets so many questions like this, it must be a sticky! ;) ;) HINT. heheh

I've said it before, I'll say it again: Tim's emitters are sweet since they kill like 4 birds with one stone... blade holder, DONE... emitter piece, DONE... LED heatsink, DONE... perfect room for optics, DONE!

Especially the black anodized "1.25 inch" holders. Those are MAAAAHHHHHvalous.