PDA

View Full Version : Loose blade

mikenmel
08-18-2007, 07:53 AM
Hey gang,
building my first LED saber after making a half dozen EL sabers... I have a "Corbin Battle Blade" from here and blade holder style 1. I find that the blade fits quite loosely in the holder and am concerned that it will fly out if I move the finished product around. I see there is no set screw or anything to hold the blade in. Did I just get an incorrectly bored blade holder or is there another trick to ensuring that the blade is nice and snug inside the holder? Obviously I can think of random things like tape, glue, etc, but don't think I should have to jury-rig something like that..
Thanks

xwingband
08-18-2007, 07:55 AM
All the blades have some variance to them. Even sometimes the blade holders are different, it doesn't take much to be loose or tight.

Don't worry about tape... it's what all of us use. Between a screw and tape it will be fine.

vortextwist
08-18-2007, 09:57 AM
I see there is no set screw or anything to hold the blade in.
Thanks
your gonna need a set/thumbscrew no matter how big/small your blade/holder is.

goldsaberwarrior
08-18-2007, 12:22 PM
If you want a removable blade you may want to ask novastar or look for some of his posts. If I remember right him or someone else here has removable blades that work really good. I want to think nova has some but not for sure. Anyway he's someone I thought up off the top of my head.

xwingband
08-18-2007, 12:30 PM
If you want a removable blade you may want to ask novastar or look for some of his posts. If I remember right him or someone else here has removable blades that work really good. I want to think nova has some but not for sure. Anyway he's someone I thought up off the top of my head.

Dude... every one is using removable blades. Heck, I'd have to find someone who doesn't use them.

goldsaberwarrior
08-18-2007, 12:31 PM
You just did x. I'm not going to use one until I get to the double blades.

xwingband
08-18-2007, 12:35 PM
You are in a small minority then (Heck, you're the first I've met that does that). There is hardly a reason at all to not make them removable. Other than safety there no benefits to a non-removable blade... only detractions.

Barmic Rin
08-18-2007, 01:18 PM
You don't use removable blades???!!!!!??????!!!!!!!
How do you hang it onyour belt? Next you'll be saying you don't even have a belt clip!!!! :D
How strange...........

I have Erv's, Tims, Dons & Corbins Blades.
Dons seems to slip slightly inside a MHS, but it's the only thin walled blade I have.
I just tighten the screw & it's all good, but since I only use it in the saber he built, it's doesn't really matter!

Darth Tollo
08-18-2007, 02:15 PM
If I am understanding you correctly, you are not using a set screw at all. LED blade REQUIRE a set screw to hold them in place. TCSS blade holder do not come with this predrilled (unless you pay extra for it) nor do they come with the screw. This allows maximum customization. So get a tap and drill set and a screw and your blade will be secure. Hope that helps.

Barmic Rin
08-18-2007, 02:35 PM
I'm going to go with the majority of us here & ask the question:

HAVE you got a screw to hold it in place?

Jedi-Loreen
08-18-2007, 04:05 PM
Makes me wonder if he didn't use blade retention screws with his EL sabers. :shock: You'd think he'd know what they were, wouldn't you? :?

mikenmel
08-18-2007, 06:38 PM
[quote="Jedi-Loreen"]Makes me wonder if he didn't use blade retention screws with his EL sabers. :shock: You'd think he'd know what they were, wouldn't you? :?[/quote
Ok smarty, I used screws in all of my EL's (primarily because the holes are pre-drilled in the EL blade holders and because thats what the tutorials said to do)...Even if I didn't, the audio plug serves to hold the blade in (a bit). While I have no issue drilling and tapping my own hole, again I didn't want to start cutting, drilling or otherwise altering a purchased product without knowing whether or not I've missed an easy step somewhere or perhaps have a defective item.
Now, based on what I've read so far, it sounds like I should either build up the wall with some tape or go ahead and drill/tap my own screw to hold the blade.....Again, not a big deal but a little surprising since all of other things I've gotten here have been ready to play out of the box (more or less).
Cheers

vortextwist
08-18-2007, 06:47 PM
alot of times people like to line up the set screw with the switches, so with that, unless you ask and pay for it, it won't be done. use the set/thumbscrew and you will be good.

goldsaberwarrior
08-18-2007, 11:49 PM
I didn't say I don't use them at all. I'll be using them on my next few sabers. Not my 1st though.

LAN-ED-TUL
08-19-2007, 01:45 AM
DUDE, you HAVE to use a thumbscrew to hold the blade if you plan on doing anything more than it sittin on a display rack.

goldsaberwarrior
08-19-2007, 01:21 PM
I didn't say I don't use screws in my blades and I've never built el before. I simply mean I don't plan on letting my 1st saber blade be removable.

killphil
08-20-2007, 12:51 AM
I'm just curious, are you doing a luxeon or are you talking about a stock MR?

All luxeons have removeable blades. Unless some one bonded the blade to the holder, but I've never heard of that before.

I can't really think of one benefit for not having the blade removeable.

Hasid Lafre
08-20-2007, 02:13 AM
Yeah. a non removable blade'd saber is kinda annoying.

goldsaberwarrior
08-20-2007, 11:51 AM
I plan on doing a custom LED. As far as the removable vs non removable goes I'll find a way to make it work. It'll work for what I want.

Barmic Rin
08-20-2007, 12:11 PM
Fair enough.

I still find it weird though with a non-removable blade, but hey! Each to their own.... :?

pockets
08-20-2007, 12:19 PM
Fair enough.

I still find it weird though with a non-removable blade, but hey! Each to their own.... :?

yeah i thought thats why we made our own lightsabers, removable blades that we can fight with

Barmic Rin
08-20-2007, 12:36 PM
And attach to our belt to look cool!
Well, I think I look cool... my Mum says I do too.... :P

pockets
08-20-2007, 01:19 PM
And attach to our belt to look cool!
Well, I think I look cool... my Mum says I do too.... :P

my mom thought i was a nerd when i built my first lightsaber

vortextwist
08-20-2007, 02:36 PM
my mom still rolls her eyes and says I play with "TOYS"

mikenmel
08-20-2007, 05:21 PM
Hell, my wife likes to tell everyone what a geek I am for building my own lightsabers for the kids......(she doesn't usually tell everyone that she asked for and has her own saber as well).... :wink:

ArkaiHalon
08-20-2007, 06:57 PM
Hell, my wife likes to tell everyone what a geek I am for building my own lightsabers for the kids......(she doesn't usually tell everyone that she asked for and has her own saber as well).... :wink:

same here, and I'll at least give her credit, she even calls me a geek to my face when I've got a soldering iron in my hand.

goldsaberwarrior
08-20-2007, 09:54 PM
Women... can't live with em, can't live without em. My mom thinks I spend too much on parts and thinks I should just use a hasbro and be done.

GFORCE13
08-20-2007, 11:11 PM
Hell I whole reason I started building was how annoyed I was when I discovered that my first MR saber couldn't hang off the belt of my Jedi Costume. I love removable blades and yeah I know what you mean about women my wife still calls my collection my toys and tells everbody I have a toy room, I keep telling her they are Action Figures. As far as her calling me a Geek, I already call myself a SW Nerd, so there isn't much she can say about that. :lol:

LAN-ED-TUL
08-20-2007, 11:44 PM
well, my wife, does the costume stuff, along with me, but i do have extensive collections of stuff, most of which is in a storage area.

theyre all kinds of action figures, and cars and such. she refers to my collections as junk sometimes, it doesnt bother me at all, i just come right back with well, what about this or that, thats her stuff, i consider junk. she shuts up!.

in all, i really dont get much hassles with her, since she does like doing the SW costume stuff. so i got it pretty good i would say.

Eandori
08-21-2007, 12:25 AM
My wife definitely thinks I'm nerdy with my lightsabers, but every once in awhile i can talk her into smashing them together with me. Here's a video of just such an occasion.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k1gDO8sF6qw

I loved her comment at the end.... "Luke, I am your mother..."

GFORCE13
08-21-2007, 02:08 AM
That is awesome the Remark and you were defeated by a Sith Blade. 8)

Hasid Lafre
08-21-2007, 02:18 AM
Thats funny as hell man, Luke i am your mother. LMAO thats great.