PDA

View Full Version : Advice on Maul fx emitter to LE type conversion

Accept
08-17-2007, 04:30 PM
I have a Darth Maul fx that I'm thinking of turning into a battle damage display piece like the LE version but I don't know what to put in the emitter after I remove the blade, anyone have any ideas? In the Custom Saber Shop I saw a Maul Conversion Kit and a red acrylic crystal, could they maybe be put together in the fx hilt? I've never taken an fx apart so any suggestions or instructions will be greatly appreciated.

Seeing the emitter in TPM makes me think this will be pretty accurate, I know both Darth Maul MR lightsabers have a small hole about 1/3" deep that I think is really inaccurate.

Thanks.

Lord Maul
08-17-2007, 04:37 PM
Your idea for the crystal would work. check in the MRFX Conversion section of the forums for a disassembly tutorial on the Maul.

Accept
08-17-2007, 05:18 PM
Your idea for the crystal would work. check in the MRFX Conversion section of the forums for a disassembly tutorial on the Maul.

Where is the disassembly tutorial, I can't find it?

So would the Maul conversion kit work in the hilt? Does the crystal fit in the kit?

Thanks.

vortextwist
08-17-2007, 05:22 PM
the conversion kit is so you can install a luxeon led. and have a removeable blade for dueling.

Accept
08-17-2007, 05:53 PM
the conversion kit is so you can install a luxeon led. and have a removeable blade for dueling.

I don't know what the Darth Maul lightsaber will be like when I remove the blade, there might be a big hole with electronics or whatever so I thought I could maybe put the conversion kit in so the emitter looks good and maybe put a red crystal in it. Does anyone know what it looks like without the blade? Will I be able to just stick a crystal in it and call the emitter done?

Hasid Lafre
08-17-2007, 05:56 PM
ya, then send mr the soundboard from it. :D 8)

Jedi-Loreen
08-17-2007, 06:59 PM
Did you mean "send 'me' the sound board from it"? I know you were probably kidding, but this is a case where your spelling really does count. :wink:

vortextwist
08-17-2007, 07:17 PM
darn i did flub that up didn't I :oops: ya just send it to ME. :lol:

Accept
08-18-2007, 07:44 AM
For appearance purposes would the Maul conversion kit work? I could epoxy the red crystal into the blade/led holder if I have to. There's not as many pix in the Maul conversion tutorial as the Vader tutorial, will the Maul look like the Vader emitter because I think it looks pretty good? I don't plan on keeping any electronics in it right now so it shouldn't be too hard.....hopefully. Thanks.

vortextwist
08-18-2007, 09:52 AM
well, it might. not sure if the crystal would fit in the holder though.

Accept
09-10-2007, 01:34 PM
Thought I would show how it turned out. I bought a MR Maul conversion kit and some acrylic crystals and using the MR Darth Maul instructions in the MR to luxeon 3w conversions section I removed all the guts and blade. Luckily the aluminum tube from the conversion kit has a sort of lip inside about 1/3rd of the way in on the threaded end so I put the red crystal in the threaded end which just fit and screwed in the copper end piece until it was snug and put the tube in the hilt, it was a little tight but went in and fit perfectly. Being in there tight meant I didn't have to use any of the guts to keep it in place and I was able to sell the guts and blade. I am very happy with how it turned out although I found out air brushes are pretty expensive so I wasn't able to create any scorching on the end and don't want to make a mess trying spray paint.

I also went to rebelscum.com and found a MR Obi-Wan ANH lightsaber case in new condition which holds the Darth Maul hilt very well.

Below are a few pix. The pix aren't great, the saber and case are in perfect condition. Thank you to everyone who helped, I appreciate it.

http://www.itsajelly.net/maul-saber.JPG

vortextwist
09-10-2007, 02:24 PM
looks very cool man, glad I could help out :D

jedi1789
09-10-2007, 04:06 PM
That looks great! Good job. Was it easy? I am planning on doing that to mine but i am only 13 and don't wont to ruin it.

Accept
09-11-2007, 07:57 AM
That looks great! Good job. Was it easy? I am planning on doing that to mine but i am only 13 and don't wont to ruin it.

If you're just wanting to make a hilt and not something functional then it is easy, just as I described. The only thing is without the guts the red button next to the emitter has nothing to screw into, right now mine is just sitting in it but I plan on getting a small piece of plastic tubing and just puting that inside and screwing the red button into it, should be easy. You take out a black tube which I might have been able to use but I threw it out and couldn't find it afterwards. If you're careful you could probably use some epoxy but I'm not going to risk getting that all over. There's a pin that goes all the way through right behind the emitter that you remove to get the guts out, the conversion kit covers half that hole inside so you can't replace the pin but the hole is small and you can't see insided so it looks fine. It's all pretty easy and I was very pleased with mine and if you find someone here who wants the guts and blade you'll make your money back that you spent on the kit.