PDA

View Full Version : Outer blade glow.

Hasid Lafre
08-16-2007, 05:42 PM
Iam trying to figure out a way to get a much more noticable outer blade glow.

I have tryed just ultras and yes its nice but to me its not noticable enought.

I notice it a bit with tims tube but it kinda loses it twards the middel, With my corbin ultra combo it is noticable a bit also.

So iam trying to figure out ways to get the outer blade glow more noticable.

What are your ideas?

xwingband
08-16-2007, 06:02 PM
Do you mean making it look like the edges of the blade is glowing and not seeing the PolyC tube?

The most reallistic thing I've sen is I had a 1/16" walled nylon tube. Alone it lit up pretty dang well. To even out the inconsistancies with the tube I threw in a wrap of Corbin's. Add more film and I think it could be the most even and realistic.

Hasid Lafre
08-16-2007, 07:03 PM
Dosent tim use a nylon tube for his diffusers?

xwingband
08-16-2007, 07:13 PM
Yup, but 1" with a 1/16" wall is very interesting. Just like the thin PolyC it lets up a lot more light.

I'm not sure it's what you want though...

I don't understand if you want more of a core vs aura thing or more like the blade is giving off the light vs. being contained by a tube.

Hasid Lafre
08-16-2007, 07:50 PM
The outer blade glow is what I want, with that will come an evenly lit blade which is enought for me.

Jay-gon Jinn
08-16-2007, 08:49 PM
Have you tried sanding the outside of the blade? I've seen that done before to make the polyC tube glow as well.

Lord Maul
08-16-2007, 11:33 PM
or sandblast it. Firebird did that with sweet results

Eandori
08-17-2007, 09:02 AM
I think Erv, Novastar and I are all on the same page about wanting a very evenly lit blade. That was very big for me! I read all of Erv's tech documents and found a good description for an evenly lit blade. Many of the images of his Telum Infensus Saber show how his blades are extremely evenly bright. Loving his images, I simply followed his reccomendations.

I started with a thick polycarb tube (I want to duel hard!) and first I inserted some of the diffuser paper that Erv's sells. Not sure if it's the same stuff as TCSS sells. Then I went to a craft store and bought a large role of cellophane plastic wrap. (Crystal clear plastic wrap). I cut a sheet about 2 feet wide, rolled it on itself and inserted that into the blade after the special diffuser paper. Of course I finished it off with a mirrored tip at the end of the blade. My blade is very evenly bright, has a killer glow and I'm extremely pleased with it.

I'll post a picture soon of my blade next to a master replica. That makes it very easy to see how evenly lit it is. Just like you said, the "blade glow" is very apparent.

xwingband
08-17-2007, 09:26 AM
I'm still confused...

Is this a question of look? Evenness?

Because I think evenness and look can be seperated easily. Ultra's is even, but the look is completely different from Erv's which is still a dang even blade.

I want to try beadblasting at some point, but it's not something I'd use for a dueling blade.

Eandori
08-17-2007, 10:06 AM
Ok, here's an image of my saber next to a Luke RoTJ Master Replica. You can definitely see how evenly lit my blade is, and from that I think it has a very nice overall glow.

Some important notes:
-The Luke RoTJ has needed LED repair a few times from dueling. All LED's are on but a few are not as bright (you can tell)
-The Luke RoTJ has a "frosted" blade now. I used some sandpaper to improve the effect.
-On my custom saber, I'm only running the Green K2 at 1 amp, not 1.5 amps. My heat sinking currently is a cheap setup. So my custom blade gets much brighter at full power but it's still just as even.
-My custom saber has the construction I described above (tube and cap from TCSS, diffuser film from Plecter Labs, cellophane from craft store)

http://home.comcast.net/~eandori/Tri-Lux_and_Luke_ROTJ_MS.JPG

Hasid Lafre
08-17-2007, 03:45 PM
Iam looking for that movie blade glow that outer blade glow.

Now the evenness will be there cause it would have to get to get a consistent outer blade glow effect.

Still confused?

Jedi-Loreen
08-17-2007, 04:14 PM
I am.

You're not going to get your blade glow looking like the rotoscoped blades in the movies. :?

Unless maybe you're in a room with some light fog or smoke. :P