PDA

View Full Version : Luxeon RGB Rebel LED

Rogwi Nehar
08-15-2007, 06:47 PM
Tim, have you thought about the possibility of using the new RBG Rebel for an MHS saber? The lums are quite a few steps above the Lux V, as much as 450, but the three LEDs use about 9.5 forward volts. :idea:

xwingband
08-15-2007, 07:30 PM
If you are refering to the Endor... there are no optics.

I'm playing with Rebels and a fully driven Rebel puts out mounds more heat than you expect... twice that of a K2 and that was a single I had, not three.

I've got a blank PCB for an RGB setup... watch in a few weeks I'll have a working prototype saber.

BTW the forward voltage is not that. That's how they are listed... but you can power them individually at the normal voltage if you have seperate drivers.

Rogwi Nehar
08-15-2007, 09:11 PM
Yes, I was talking about the Endor. It looks promising for a brighter saber and more possible color combinations with the RGB.

Could the RGB be driven by one driver card or would you need some type of setup that had an individual driver for each LED?

Also, any idea how much larger the heatsink might have to be to handle the increased heat transfer?

xwingband
08-15-2007, 09:23 PM
If the whole saber is a heatsink like the MHS sabers it should operate fine. It's the custom heatsink that's used in the 1.25 holder that may have issues when all three are running. Just one of those maxed made it almost uncomfortable to touch (where as a K2 is just warm).

To drive the white ones a single driver would be better even though the forward voltage would be that high. For technical reasons that works better.

For the RGB, no matter how you slice it there would need to be three seperate drivers. Maybe it's three resistors, three pucks, a three channel driver, etc...

Darth Lars
08-31-2007, 03:35 PM
I'm playing with Rebels and a fully driven Rebel puts out mounds more heat than you expect... twice that of a K2 and that was a single I had, not three.
How are they heat-wise compared to a K2 at lower voltages?

xwingband
09-01-2007, 05:38 AM
K2's only midly got warm. No hotter than if I had left my heatsink outside in the sun. That Rebel though... very uncomfortable to hold it, almost to the point that I didn't want to touch the heatsink ("custom" one TCSS for reference)