PDA

View Full Version : 5 watt compared to 3 watt Red?

ti-el_terall
08-14-2007, 06:47 PM
Hey all, I just got my Cyan 5 watt LED (looks more green wich is sweet 8) ) and I was looking at it today and it seems about on par with my 3 watt greens. Is this right? Im running it off 6 AA and with a resistor. Could it be low batteries? I know that 3 watt reds should be on par, but my Cyan kinda seems disapoitning right now.

goldsaberwarrior
08-14-2007, 06:53 PM
Try some new batteries. Hopefully that's all it is. Just as a precaution check to make sure your wiring is good and that you have the right resistor. You may have to go up to 8AAs or buy a new resistor or something. Hope I could help.

Lord Maul
08-14-2007, 09:23 PM
make sure your soldering connections are really good. on my ani conversion, they weren't the best, and after re-doing them, it increased brightness by 50%

ti-el_terall
08-14-2007, 09:32 PM
I have good confidence in this soldering job :P . Now that its night time I se it a bit brighter. I do need the correct resistor, I just got the basic kit and it came with the "basic" resistor and its not reaching its full potential. It still kicks major butt tho, I love it :D

Marsupial
08-15-2007, 06:44 AM
I can't say for 5-watters, and I don't know what bin yours is from, but the lux III cyan are known to look green when not powered to their full potential.

If you haven't configure your power pack/driver/whatever correctly, even a higher lumens LED won't look as bright as a correctly configured lower brightness one.

supertrogdor
08-15-2007, 11:01 AM
you could always try reconfiguring your resistor to overdrive the LED a bit, but that is at your discretion as it can prematurely deteriorate the LED

Hasid Lafre
08-15-2007, 11:08 AM
IS your power switch on the positive side of the line and not inbetween both pos and neg?

djbordie
08-15-2007, 11:57 AM
hey i have the same issue, (not brightness)
my 5w cyan is very green, and it looks stupid in my graflex luke anh
is there a way to make it more blue? or is it because it is a higher bin #?
i can try to re configure, but it wont do much, and i followed the basic led wiring diagram...

id love it to be more blue if anyone has a trick or idea, thanks.

vortextwist
08-15-2007, 12:26 PM
id love it to be more blue if anyone has a trick or idea, thanks.
buy a blue led. :D

djbordie
08-15-2007, 12:29 PM
lol great answer, isnt blue - too blue for luke anh?

xwingband
08-15-2007, 12:34 PM
lol great answer, isnt blue - too blue for luke anh?

No, a bin 5 or 6 blue would be nice for it. Even the 4 and 3 aren't going to be a very dark blue.

The problem is only the bin 1 cyan appears to have no green in it. Bin 2's are also pretty good with a slight tinge of green.

Also... the color changed from scene to scene. As long as it's a lighter blue I think it fits.

vortextwist
08-15-2007, 12:40 PM
i got 2 of the bin 1 cyan's tim got and they look like they are really washed out. hard to say which color it actually is more like. I like em though

djbordie
08-15-2007, 12:44 PM
nice well its too bad, i dont really want to rewire this led, its was a real pita to do alot of space constrictions in my case...
tim just got bin 1 cyans, so anyone know which bin blue he has?
i just have no other use for a bin 4 cyan so dont really want to order another cyan...

ti-el_terall
08-15-2007, 01:35 PM
Hey all, thnks for the responses. I know that everythign is wired right I think it just might need the correct resistor. As for the green, whatever, still is a really neat color.:D