PDA

View Full Version : My saber design Concept

Braxus
08-14-2007, 09:20 AM
Hi guys. Well after about 3 weeks of research and design, Ive come up with 2 Variants of the saber I want to make using MHS and custom made parts. They are basicaly the same but with a different Center grip. Let me know what you think and which one you guys like the best. I havent decided on the color of the LED but its between Red and Green. Also im putting in a Recharge port and 2 small LED indicator lights.

This is Variant One:
http://img406.imageshack.us/img406/6268/braxussabervariant1ic2.png

This is Variant Two:
http://img406.imageshack.us/img406/8415/braxussabervariant2ld9.png

This is both designs Side-by-Side:
http://img256.imageshack.us/img256/9258/sabersidebyside1ei9.png

Well, I hope you guys like it. let me know what you think!!! :)

ArkaiHalon
08-14-2007, 09:25 AM
nice concept.
I like #2.

Barmic Rin
08-14-2007, 09:26 AM
Number 1.
I like both, but I find 1 more comfortable.

Braxus
08-14-2007, 11:19 AM
I like the look of both but 2 has a more unique style then number 1. But like you said the one i used in Variant 1 does look more confortable.

vortextwist
08-14-2007, 12:19 PM
I like both, would like to see a little more don't with the "emitter shrouds" they just look a little too plain. but cool anyhow.

ArkaiHalon
08-14-2007, 02:17 PM
#2 looks like it would have more texture to the grip, which is something I like, but ultimately, go for what you think you will like best.

And I agree with Vortex, I think the shroud needs some detail, but not sure what. Still a cool design.

Hasid Lafre
08-14-2007, 02:33 PM
I think its gonna be freakishly long.

pockets
08-14-2007, 03:06 PM
thats a good looking saber

Lord Maul
08-14-2007, 05:24 PM
I think its gonna be freakishly long.

it won't be much longer than my MHS (if at all), and mine is very comfortable despite the length.

back on topic...

i like variant #1 the best, but both are cool

Braxus
08-15-2007, 06:03 AM
Well, I was measuring my parks saber and it measures 13 inches and I really dont want to make it much longer then that. After adding up all the lengths of the pieces I plan to use it came to roughly 15.5 inches (TOO LONG) So now I plan to have tim shorten the Double Female Milled Slot Peice from 3.5 inches to 2 inches that should put my saber in the 14 inch range. 12 inches without the emitter guards.

Also, I whipped up another variant with a design in the emitter guards. Let me know what you think!!!!

http://img117.imageshack.us/img117/2636/braxussabervariant3ej5.png

ArkaiHalon
08-15-2007, 06:36 AM
I likee number 3, and I think it would look good with Green.
this just doesn't strike me as a "red".

Good overall design, looks like it will be pretty well balanced.

Barmic Rin
08-15-2007, 07:17 AM
Ok, i'd go for number 3, but i'd have the slots 4 different sizes, longest at the emitter, & powder coat the main pieces grooves.

But that's just me.

TimeRender
08-15-2007, 08:28 AM
I think your #2 looks pretty good. (Dear lord, please don't let anyone laugh at that statement.) Honestly I don't think you need to worry about any details on the shroud. Those little slots would be a bear to cut out, especially if this is your first saber. All I would suggest is maybe shortening them a bit. It looks like they stick out about two inches beyond the emitter, and I think they would look fine at about half that length. You used pretty much all the same parts on your saber as I did on mine, so if you want to see a 3-d rendering of it I'm sure I could whip one out in just a few minutes after I get home from work. Cheers!

Jedi-Loreen
08-15-2007, 10:24 AM
What are you making your guards out of? Sink tube? Or something more substantial? I don't see any mention of it anywhere.

If you're using sink tube, I would also suggest that you make them a little shorter. Also, I've heard people say that sink tubes have a tendency to want to flatten out when you cut them open. If that's true, just screwing your pieces on in the middle won't work.

And yeah, trying to cut slots like that would be hard.

You are also going to have to grind down the curve on your Covertec knob, since it's made to fit against a curved hilt and you are putting it against the flat pommel side. You might be better off just using the stock knob that comes with the Covertec clip. Even though it's black, it's already flat.

I do like the overall design. Do the "Indicator" LEDs actually indicate anything (other than the saber being turned on)? Like power level or something? Or are they really just "Accent" LEDs?

Barmic Rin
08-15-2007, 10:36 AM
I prefer the Black covertec. Having it all one colour seems bland, so i'd go with the stock one, especially if you are attaching to a flat panel, but it's up to you.

As for the slots, I can't see them being too hard to cut, just take your time on them.

Braxus
08-15-2007, 10:36 AM
Yea Timerender, my guards are 2 inches past the emitter. I was thinking of shortening them. And I would love to see a 3D rendering.

Yea after posting the pic with the lots on the guards I thought more on how hard it would be to make em so now Im sticking with them plain anyways I really like how they look plain. Im still not decided on what grip section to use. but I do like #2 oh well :)

As for waht the guards are made of I havent really thought of that. I was thinking just cutting a MHS aluminum section like that. There has to be a way. Cuz I want them to curve with the blade holder.

Hasid Lafre
08-15-2007, 10:59 AM
You can have tim make you the shrouds.

TimeRender
08-15-2007, 08:02 PM
Just to reemphasize what I said before, as someone who has worked with sinktube, YES Barmic, the slots would be difficult to cut, and Hasid there isn't much point in having tim make them for Braxus if they are just quartered sink tube.

Now, as I promised earlier, here are a few 3d renderings of your saber. I apologize for the way the emitter shows through the shrouds a little, I made the shrouds too thin and Rhino can be a little glitchy. No worries though.

http://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h241/TimeRender/gift1.jpg

http://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h241/TimeRender/gift2.jpg

http://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h241/TimeRender/gift3.jpg

http://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h241/TimeRender/gift4.jpg

http://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h241/TimeRender/gift5.jpg

The first four pics show the shroud at full length Braxus. The look actually grew on me a little bit, although I'm sure I would change my mind once I actually saw it in person. The shroud on my saber was originally going to be about an inch and a half, and I trimmed it back a lot farther after seeing how it would actually look. The last pic shows the difference between the shroud sticking out two inches and only one inch.

I drew these pics up using the stock dimensions for the slotted extension piece rather than your custom length. If you decide to have Tim make you a shorter version, just use your imagination while looking at these pics.

I did notice a small problem with your design, however. One of your indicator lights will actually get in the way of the threading from the m/m adapter. If you thought it would look ok with only one light, your problem would disappear. Alternatively, you might put the recharge port on one side of the saber and the two lights on the other. This would move everything down a little in the hilt so that it cleared the threads.

Jedi-Loreen
08-16-2007, 12:45 AM
As for waht the guards are made of I havent really thought of that. I was thinking just cutting a MHS aluminum section like that. There has to be a way. Cuz I want them to curve with the blade holder.

Cutting up an MHS piece would be a waste. Plus, the ID of the piece wouldn't fit over the OD of the blade holder.

Just to reemphasize what I said before, as someone who has worked with sinktube, YES Barmic, the slots would be difficult to cut, and Hasid there isn't much point in having tim make them for Braxus if they are just quartered sink tube.

TimeRender, he never said he was making the shrouds out of sink tube (see first quote), that's what I assumed since it would fit over the blade holder, so that's why I asked.

TimeRender
08-16-2007, 09:27 AM
Oops, you caught me Loreen. I guess I just assumed as well. At any rate it's still the best material to use for these shrouds, in my opinion anyway. I saved a few brass scraps from the cutouts on my shroud and never noticed any flattening, so I think you should be ok Braxus if you decide to try it this way.

vortextwist
08-16-2007, 09:48 AM
the flat sinktube pieces my bro cut seemed to twist a bit.

Marsupial
08-16-2007, 11:15 AM
I dislike that usage of sink tube for a simple reason - its too thin. You cut yourself when dueling. My first saber has such a shroud, I am thinking about changing it to a plastic version for less injuries.

and I do agree with Loreen, the sides will lift if only bolted in the middle. Maybe not instantly, but it will.

Braxus
08-16-2007, 01:15 PM
Thanks for the 3d render. Looks really cool.

As for what the shrouds are made of, There has to be something that will do what I want and not warp. Its the look I want, my style. there has to be something.

Any suggestions would be great. Im alittle bummed now :(

Hasid Lafre
08-16-2007, 05:37 PM
I wouldent use a sinktube for a shroud of anykind, I wuold have tim make something to be thicker than a sinktube but not to thick to make it look huge.

TimeRender
08-16-2007, 05:47 PM
Sinktube for a shroud isn't dangerous if you take your time filing down the edges, but I admit it was a bit sharp to start with. I spent a good hour with my files working the edges before I had something that I could use comfortably. Now that I think about it though I realize that it may not be good for Braxus' design since he has 90 degree angles on his shroud. Thanks for the tip about the warping too, I'll keep that in mind. Mars, where did you find your plastic for the shrouds? At my hardware store the PVC doesn't come in a size that fits snugly with the MHS parts.

Hasid Lafre
08-16-2007, 07:07 PM
You know them plastic racks that most folks have for whatever they use them for.

Well we got 2 both different brands and the tubes they have for the shelfs. they fit very snug on the mhs.

I tryed it on mine a while back and I had some ideas for it but I forgone that idea.

Braxus
08-24-2007, 09:24 AM
ok,

after looking through the Wish list Thread here. I found a few pics of a new neck piece Corbin and Tim are working on. Well, Ive decided that when this new piece is released im going to use it on my first saber.

Here is a new pic of my Variant Four Concept: Final Design. I decided to use only one LED Indicator light, Erv's Sound Board, Rechargeable Batt W/ Recharge port, QuickChange LED setup with Green LED (Change it to red when I feel a touch of the Darkside) Im going to use Pummel Style 4, Hilt Piece Style 4, and Blade Holder Style 3. Using the neck piece shortens the hilt a bit and I like having the neck piece there for spinning and such. Let me know what you think.

http://img127.imageshack.us/img127/4940/braxussabervariant4ha5.png (http://imageshack.us)

Barmic Rin
08-24-2007, 09:48 AM
Liking it.
But that does mean you gotta wait for that neck piece. Has Tim set a release date yet?

ArkaiHalon
08-24-2007, 09:58 AM
like it i do, yes. fun for spinning it will be.

As for the tips on the emitter, not sure if you've got any thing yet, but
you could try PVC (I use it a lot), and paint it either silver, or black.

Just a thought

Braxus
08-24-2007, 10:41 AM
yea, ill have to wait. i was kinda hoping that They could whip me up something special for that but i guess not. no release date yet that i could find, but i hope its not too far off.

As for the emiiter guards I was going to ask tim to make me something thick out of aluminum. Ill have to talk to him but all this depends on when that neck piece comes out.

TimeRender
08-24-2007, 04:53 PM
Hey Ark, the PVC at my local hardware store is all either too big or too small to fit the MHS pieces. Where do you get yours and what are the dimensions?

ArkaiHalon
08-24-2007, 05:00 PM
i'll have to measure when I get home, but i'm sure the ID of my pvc is a little bit bigger than the OD of the MHS. It fits almost perfect over 1.5 inch sink tube (which is what most of my sabers to date are). So i figured small sections like Braxus shows on his emitter might be close enough.