PDA

View Full Version : whats wrong with my led?!

chase
08-13-2007, 05:23 AM
im running a 5w cyan off a 9v battery with the resistor thats comes with the electronics package. im pretty sure the battery is dieing really quick because i go thru one per week at least. whats the best combo with a battery pack and resistor that will make my saber BRIGHT and not die in about 32 minutes. im thinking about getting a recharge pack but i dont think it will fit in my saber. help someone please!

pockets
08-13-2007, 05:35 AM
6AAs, a 9v battery has the voltage to run a 5w but the amount of juice it sucks up drains it quick 6AAs will give you 9v but WAY more run time

xwingband
08-13-2007, 06:15 AM
Yup... 9V's are powerfully weak. They pack voltage but are really low on amperage. You need to switch to 6AAA or 6AA to notice a larger runtime.

chase
08-13-2007, 06:57 AM
so is that why my led isnt bright? what can i do to maximize the brightness? also, which recharge pack would work best? the 7.2v or 4.8v? im guessing the 7.2v because the higher wattage.

xwingband
08-13-2007, 07:46 AM
I'm going to put it in the FAQ... 9V's suck for LED applications. NEVER use them.

You'll need the 7.2V pack. The 4.8V won't even light a V.

chase
08-13-2007, 09:15 AM
roger that. thanks a ton.

Hasid Lafre
08-13-2007, 10:21 AM
Yeah a 9v batery is crap. I wouldent use them for anything saber related.

I would deffinatly go with a rechargable setup. with a driver I dont like resisters for anything other than accent leds.

chase
08-13-2007, 03:08 PM
so will the 8AAA 12V battery pack work well with the 5w setup? will it even fit in the hilt? how long is it, i dont have a ton of space to work with. probably about 6 inches....

pockets
08-13-2007, 03:54 PM
so will the 8AAA 12V battery pack work well with the 5w setup? will it even fit in the hilt? how long is it, i dont have a ton of space to work with. probably about 6 inches....

12v would work but you definately wont be fitting it in any 6 inches haha

goldsaberwarrior
08-13-2007, 09:15 PM
Since we're on the subject of LEDs would it be possible to adapt a saber to use an 8.4 volt battery of the 3 types used by airsoft guns to be used by a saber. Here's a site that has them if you need to see the batteries. Don't mean to spam if I am but here's a link to the batteries.
http://www.precisionairsoft.net/Batteries-and-Chargers-for-AEG-s/73.htm Anyway there's the link.

Hasid Lafre
08-13-2007, 09:24 PM
12Volts is way to much.

I would stick as close to 7.2V, 8 V would be nice.

LAN-ED-TUL
08-14-2007, 12:05 AM
yeah i wondered that too. i got several 8.4 V rechargeable packs for my 2 AK47's airsofts. i think they would fit in a MHS, but im not sure till i take one over to my friend who has a MHS hilt.

i have a couple different MAH's on them, a 1200, a 1100, and think a bigger one, will have to see.

so would they run a LV direct drive with resistor if they fit in the hilts?

chase
08-14-2007, 05:09 AM
well, i need something that works...im going to have to run 9v's until i can get a battery pack...how long is the AAA 7.2v battery pack? that mini battery pack looks small...is 8.4v too much?

xwingband
08-14-2007, 07:32 AM
If you're going to resistor drive it then 7.2V or 8.4V would be fine. It's just we caution at 12V because in a resistor setup a lot of that extra voltage would simply get wasted. If you get a driver... then it's no big deal.

For the size questions... the AAA recharge packs are about 4.5" long.

chase
08-14-2007, 09:35 AM
ok one more question.....i promise.

i looked at the wiring diagram and i saw that wires from the battery pack go the the power jack.... what wires though...the battery pack uses a clamp thingy...whats everything i need to get a recharge setup? what size drill bit would i need to get that power jack attached to my saber? sorry for asking so many questions, i just want to be sure i can fit this all in my saber.

xwingband
08-14-2007, 10:02 AM
You need a port, the jack and your pack. If you don't have it the charger is needed too. Tim is selling a nice combo with the jack being "plug-n-play".

I think the port uses a 1/4" hole...

LAN-ED-TUL
08-14-2007, 05:42 PM
so i CAN use one of my 8.4V airsoft batt packs with a direct drive, with resistor setup? thats great, i have a few of those batt packs already in a couple different Mah sizes. of course i have to clip off the plug, and wire the recharge jack for them.

but that would save me some money, since i have several 8.4V packs already.

goldsaberwarrior
08-14-2007, 06:46 PM
I've got a smart charger like the one's tim sell. You'll have to tell me if it fits lan ed tul. This will perk you interests just recently on the website I order most of my stuff from they put on a 4600 mah battery that's 8.4 volts. That would probably fry the LED and possibly the board but they have one. They even have some 3600s and other voltage and mahs. Not trying to take business from tim, quite the contrary, just suggesting parts that would work good with the ones he sells here. By the way xwing, if the packs fit the mhs can you give me a link or pm me some wiring diagrams?

xwingband
08-14-2007, 06:54 PM
Pretty much everything you need is buried in this forum already. There is a really great recharge thread stickied in a forum here. :wink:

goldsaberwarrior
08-14-2007, 07:02 PM
got a link I'm lazy.

vortextwist
08-14-2007, 07:16 PM
the time it took you to post that, you could have found it. geesh

xwingband
08-14-2007, 07:32 PM
got a link I'm lazy.

That was my polite way of saying to look it up.

If you can't be bothered to look up how to do something... I don't think rechargeables are for you.

goldsaberwarrior
08-14-2007, 11:16 PM
What can't mess with you all none. I found it earlier before I said I was lazy. I'm not right I know. You don't need to tell me. :)

LAN-ED-TUL
08-15-2007, 01:48 AM
i will be goin back over to moro's house again this saturday or sunday, to practise the routine again. and he had ordered parts to finish up his MHS hilt, the guts that is, and i had to order some parts myself, whilst dueling monday, i guess i knocked out the red.orange led in my vader saber.

so i ordered a new one, the hasbro board was still making sounds ok, just no led light.

so for a couple hours, i will be wiring his and redoing mine over there first.

i will take along a couple of these airsoft packs to see if they fit in his MHS hilt or not, and also just out of curiousity, in a heiland handle too. i will pass that on when i find out.

goldsaberwarrior
08-15-2007, 06:41 PM
rodger that.