PDA

View Full Version : Question about material thickness on MHS hilts.

Obi-Dar Ke-Gnomie
08-10-2007, 02:34 PM
I tried searching, but I couldn't find what I was looking for. Maybe someone can help.

I would like to know the difference between the ID and OD of the MHS hilts. Basically, I want to dremel out a pattern and have inlaid sections of another material.

How much material do I have to play with, and how deep can I go?

Thanks.

Obi-Dar

xwingband
08-10-2007, 02:55 PM
Holy geeze... inlaid metal is quite overboard. A good paint job or decals might do better.

Anyhoo, MHS pieces are 1.45" OD and about 1.25" ID.

pockets
08-10-2007, 04:18 PM
if you inlay another metal, dont use steel, steel and aluminum oxidize each other and in a few months you'll have a fused rusty steel aluminum hell hole(i know because i used steel screws in my last aluminum computer i built)

xwingband
08-10-2007, 04:34 PM
Stainless steel is better though. Just remember the galvanic action stuff.

Hasid Lafre
08-10-2007, 05:04 PM
Inlay some brass.

Becides I think inlays would look weared. I would cut out a pattern out of a thin tube and then bolt it on. give it a rustic hand built look and not a mace windu bling bling.

Obi-Dar Ke-Gnomie
08-10-2007, 05:14 PM
Sorry, I guess I should have been more specific.

I'm not doing inlaid metal, (as cool as that would be), I'm doing inlaid plastic.

I'll do my best to describe the vision in my head:

I was inspired the other day by a curling iron handle I saw. Basically I want to do a flush mounted switch plate.

I want to carve out a rectangular groove perhaps 3/16" deep, 3/4" wide, and 1 1/2" long. I want to drill some holes and put in some LEDs so they are flush with this recessed surface. Then I would like to print a small display picture with holes cut to show the LEDs and put this in the hole. Finally, I would put a piece of 1/8" clear plastic over this, and secure it with small screws.

So far, this is just an idea in my head. It may be hard to do, but I think it's possible. I'll practice on some scrap aluminum first.

What do you think?

Hasid Lafre
08-10-2007, 05:18 PM
good luck