PDA

View Full Version : Quad wraps

xwingband
08-09-2007, 06:34 PM
Well I tried them and here's my thoughts.

Thin 1" is 11"
Thick 1" is 8.5"
Thin 3/4" is 6.25" (I guessed here with a piece of paper to test, my guess was 7.25" and I had to cut an inch)

It got progressively harder to install as I went down... 3/4" was an utter pain.

What I was hoping for was a softer core and better evenness like my dual tube. I got a little of both I'd say and I'm satisfied... I kind of wanted a closer look to Erv's blades which uses the great half of both types of films.

Counter intuatively the smaller ones benefited the most. The Thin 1" to me didn't gain nearly as much evenness as the others. While 1" thick and the 3/4" thin were noticably better.

My final verdict would be that if you are looking for a softer core and more evenness in the smaller ones, go for it! Pics will come. I have to make my next two blades.

Eandori
08-11-2007, 12:47 AM
I used Erv's recomendation of a single layer of Blade diffuser film, then inside of that a several layer wrap of cellophane. The end result is that my blade is very evenly bright and I'm completely satisfied with it.

I'm really not a fan of very bright hilts with a dim tip or middle section, so evenly bright blade was very important to me. Here's a tip to other starting saber smiths... don't role the blade film on your bed if you have cats. I have a few small cat hairs forever suspended in the blade. :)

goldsaberwarrior
08-11-2007, 01:33 AM
Ah cats. Gotta love em. I have one myself. He's the 3rd generation of cat I've had as a pet. Haven't even seen a mouse since I've kept cats around. If the cat doesn't get it the neighbor dogs will. Only bad thing is the cat sheds VERY BADLY. If it wasn't for that and him having flees in the summer real bad I'd let him in more often. But I bet the cat smells his/her hair and thinks it's another cat. lol. But seriously that would be funny.

Hasid Lafre
08-11-2007, 08:21 AM
I have finished up my blade and iam quite sure that if I had another layer of corbins film and another foot of ultras I would get the blade I wanted.

But yeah a quad wrap of corbins will be my next blade.

xwingband
08-12-2007, 10:14 AM
I'm trying my best but accurate pictures of Corbin's blade is just killing me...

I ended up doing a video. Pictures just weren't working... I'm not in a studio and my camera isn't the greatest.

Hopefully you can just compare to my other videos and if you really want ttry it yourself. It still has a tinge of the flair that makes Corbin's unique but overall I think the evenness is much improved. The in and out is really accentuated on it too.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sfdO_WJ_CMM

Jay-gon Jinn
08-12-2007, 04:15 PM
That video looked good, X-wing. The core effect showed up very well.

DACOTA
08-13-2007, 07:39 AM
Is that vader a standard mr stock sound board or is it another sound board?If so what batt pack is with it?And the vid was really good.Its amazing,4 full wraps of the film,very cool.But I imagine the saber would need to be somewhat really bright to come through the thicker film.Not much brighter but a little.

xwingband
08-13-2007, 07:51 AM
It's just a plain conversion. I did use it because it's bright, but that's because it's lights more evenly with a good LED.

Four wraps is nothing compared to other film blades so it doesn't NEED to be any brighter to work.

Jay-gon Jinn
08-13-2007, 08:30 AM
This does make a big difference in eveness, even with the 3/4" blade. I put two double wraps for 3/4" blades in one, and it looks much improved. I even added a third to it, but didn't see much of an improvement over the quad set-up. I also used a Vader board-powered saber with a red luxIII.

xwingband
08-13-2007, 08:35 AM
Yeah, I noticed this too. Any above four and it's getting pointless. You aren't helping evenness and the core is just getting more blurred.

A triple wrap doesn't seem to worth it either. The quad feels like the next step compared to the single to double step.