PDA

View Full Version : let it begin.

ArkaiHalon
08-08-2007, 06:12 AM
I finally convinced my wife to let me start on an MHS hilt. Convinced as in buying it part by part, little by little. Oh well.

Anyway, the design I have in mind, i'm not sure if it would work, so hoping ya'll might have some insight.

What I want to do is build an "upside down" hilt with the power switch closer to the pommel. So when in a ready position the blade will extend down.
Has anyone tried this? I still want to be able to light it and give it sound.

As much as I hate to quote JarJar..."any help would be hot"

Here's a really rough design.
http://k-squared.com/Lightsabers/Kraken%20prototype%20design.JPG

Barmic Rin
08-08-2007, 06:23 AM
That'll work fine.

I have my button down there, though I have the 2" extension piece before the pommel.

It can be fiddly trying to get it back in after a complete strip & clean, but it will go.

Hasid Lafre
08-08-2007, 07:24 AM
You could find a washer that will fit in one of the mps pommels and drill the hole out to fit the switch in there.

Barmic Rin
08-08-2007, 09:43 AM
You could find a washer that will fit in one of the mps pommels and drill the hole out to fit the switch in there.

But that's really more hassle than it's worth for a 1st saber.

Hasid Lafre
08-08-2007, 10:41 AM
yes and no, depends if vice grips are around to hold the washer. I tryed it with pliers and it dident hold very well.

ArkaiHalon
08-08-2007, 11:09 AM
ok, I'm lost.

What would the washer be for?

Hasid Lafre
08-08-2007, 11:37 AM
You take a washer that fits in the mps style pommels. the hole will not be the right size so you drill it out to accept the switch. stick it in the mps pommel and use something to keep it in place but let the washer spin freely in the pommel. a small piece of blade will work. its gonna be a tight fit but will keep it in place.

Thats what I did for my saber but I have a recharge port in my pommel not a switch.

supertrogdor
08-08-2007, 03:26 PM
i also contribute to the notion of a switch by the pommel being a grand idea. I keep mine there after saber #1 kept shutting off accidentally while in use. Keeping the switch by the pommel keeps it out of the way for where i tend to hold on, especially for spins and hand change overs and such. I would add a further reccomendation, however, to save on shipping cost, save up and buy it all at once, that will save you paying a fair chunk on shipping as the marginal weight increase does not really affect postage as much as would several smaller individual pieces. Other than that good luck on your saber building and continual wife convincing... any married man can sympathise with you there
Cheers

ArkaiHalon
08-08-2007, 03:52 PM
"TROGDOOOOOOOOOR, BURNINATING"

Sorry, couldn't resist.

Well, I just got some very good news here at work, so the option to buy
MOST of it in one swoop may be an option. Might have to wait on a few things.

That being said, is it possible to just have the blade and LED, and add sound and a driver later? or is that more hassle than it would be worth?

Ambo
08-08-2007, 04:06 PM
There is never anything wrong with that....the only downfall about buying part by part is the added shipping....but if you are willing to deal with that....go for it. As for waiting on the board....you can set it up with just a resistor until you can afford a board....it is easily plausible....especially with the MHS....you will just open it back up and rewire in the board

ArkaiHalon
08-08-2007, 07:23 PM
Thanks all for the input, I'll be placing an order soon.

And stupid noob question.

does the sink tube adapter fit on the outside or inside of the sinktube?

Jay-gon Jinn
08-08-2007, 09:10 PM
The sinktube adaptor fits inside the sink tube.

ArkaiHalon
08-08-2007, 09:11 PM
Thankyou

my order just got bigger. lol

Jay-gon Jinn
08-08-2007, 09:13 PM
I don't see why you would need that? It looks like you're going to use an MHS hilt in the picture, and if so, the sinktube adaptor isn't really necessary.

goldsaberwarrior
08-08-2007, 10:30 PM
If you're going to make an mhs saber you don't need a sink tube adapter. The only time you do need it is when you're mounting an mhs blade holder to a regular sink tube.

ArkaiHalon
08-09-2007, 04:57 AM
I realize that. However all my other sabers are sink tubes, and i'd love to put a blade in them.

Jay-gon Jinn
08-09-2007, 08:05 AM
Ahh, okay! Be sure to post pics of those too, when you get them done! You'll like that adaptor, it makes it so much easier to attach parts to a sink tube!

ArkaiHalon
08-09-2007, 12:19 PM
next dumb question.

I want to have a recharging port/battery set up.

What's the best battery set up to go with, and will fit in the MHS?

Hasid Lafre
08-09-2007, 05:25 PM
What do you want? a 3w or a 5w? Whats your mhs design? think your gonna have room? if your gonna do a recharge setup then I would strongly put the port in the pommel.

It will save space. the AA battery packs are 4" long and will take up a good amount of space. the AAA battery packs are smaller but have less current cause of the size.

If your gonna have sound you got to figure out where to put the speaker.

ArkaiHalon
08-09-2007, 07:11 PM
My original plan has evolved somewhat, and is as follows, and I'm hoping someone will tell me if this won't work.

I want to put the speaker in the pommel itself, and use the pommel insert as the speaker grill. Recharge port close to the pommel, switches (originally closer to the pommel end) in the center.
http://k-squared.com/Lightsabers/kracken%20concept.JPG

Jay-gon Jinn
08-09-2007, 09:03 PM
Switches should be fine, but the recharge port is located directly in the middle of the threads for the screw-in pommel. That might not work out so well....

ArkaiHalon
08-09-2007, 09:13 PM
hmmmm

Wonder if I can fit it in the center section opposite of the switches, or would that be trying to cram to much in one spot.

Having a recharge port isn't a deal breaker, I can always just open it up.

Thanks again to everyone for the input and advice.

Jay-gon Jinn
08-09-2007, 09:25 PM
Depending the MPS insert you use, I think it's #1, you can enlarge the center hole to accept the recharge port.

ArkaiHalon
08-10-2007, 03:28 PM
Ok, after reading all of the posts I can on where to put the blade retention screw, I'm a little confused.

I had planned on using a #7 blade holder, but it seems to thin at the topto hold the retention screw. Also bear in mind i'm having the holder modified to have 3 holes in it similar to those on the style 4.

Will it handle the screw?

Hasid Lafre
08-10-2007, 05:02 PM
Yes but I would put it twards the middel or lower end of the BH.

Tim said that if you drill the hole of the mps insert to fit the recharge port it will work.

If the insert spins but is still being retained all you have to do is take some pliers or something to hold the recharge port while you screw on the pommel.

If your wanting to go with the rounded pommel I think you should have tim do this.

http://i204.photobucket.com/albums/bb168/Sidneyious/Saber%20Part%20Ideas/speaker1.jpg

I had something like that done to mine but mine is shorter than that. Its like the style one pommel but its rounded on the edge insted of "flat".

That and my pommel is only a tad bigger than 1/4"

ArkaiHalon
08-10-2007, 07:15 PM
the pommel is where I was planning on putting the speaker.

Hasid Lafre
08-11-2007, 08:14 AM
You can fit both in the pommel. the recharge ports are pritty short. Make a speaker housing to holdit at the end of the hilt that way its got a resinance.

Should sound pritty good, I wish I could say the same for my setup.

ArkaiHalon
08-11-2007, 09:23 AM
Something like this? I know it's rough.
Speaker farther back than the actual insert, instead of actually right against it. Drill out the hole in the insert to accept the charging port, then run the wires around the speaker.
............ \| .... |

pockets
08-11-2007, 10:16 AM
Something like this? I know it's rough.
Speaker farther back than the actual insert, instead of actually right against it. Drill out the hole in the insert to accept the charging port, then run the wires around the speaker.
............ \| .... |

yeah you wanna leave a little space in front of and behind the speaker, it will resonate more and be louder and more clear

Hasid Lafre
08-11-2007, 10:42 AM
Yeah thats good.

ArkaiHalon
09-01-2007, 05:19 PM
well, the long awaited bonus has arrived. blown over half of it in the TCSS.
but i've got 90% of the stuff on order. I'm holding off on the claws, as I want to see what Tim and Corbin come up with over the next month or so, cause I can't quite decide what I want.

JediTom
09-01-2007, 08:50 PM
This was a very good thread, I got some Ideas for my MHS.

ArkaiHalon
09-07-2007, 10:06 PM
well, here she is (at least so far). Not as grand as originally envisioned, but with the grenade section in place it's freaking LONG. I may still add the grenade section back in but for now, it's a baby Kraken. I've still got some work to do (polishing and painting).

http://k-squared.com/Lightsabers/MHS1.JPG

goldsaberwarrior
09-07-2007, 11:18 PM
Looks good so far. By the way I'm not sure if you told before what LED you used in it but is that a lux3 red/orange sold here or one you may see in an MR? Can't wait to see completed product.

Jedi-Loreen
09-07-2007, 11:21 PM
Looks more like an amber LED to me, but I could be wrong.

ArkaiHalon
09-08-2007, 03:54 AM
as usual, Loreen is correct.

It's a 3w lux in Amber.

ArkaiHalon
09-08-2007, 08:54 PM
With the Grenade Section
http://k-squared.com/Lightsabers/MHS2.JPG

with my PEX blade.
http://k-squared.com/Lightsabers/MHSamberPEX.JPG

goldsaberwarrior
09-08-2007, 10:21 PM
I guess where I haven't seen the two in action at the same time before I get the two LEDs confused. Oh well.

pockets
09-09-2007, 10:58 AM
I guess where I haven't seen the two in action at the same time before I get the two LEDs confused. Oh well.

red orange is very much red. its what most of us use for our red blades because its much brighter than pure red

Hasid Lafre
09-09-2007, 01:36 PM
Keep the extention on it looks alot better.

Barmic Rin
09-10-2007, 05:59 AM
I have to agree with Hasid.
That bad boy needs the grenade on it!

ArkaiHalon
09-10-2007, 08:41 AM
I may put it back on once I add the claws, but for now, I'm using it and my protosaber for dual wield, and it's just TOOO long for me to do it comfortably.