PDA

View Full Version : quick speaker question

goldsaberwarrior
08-07-2007, 09:59 AM
I wouldn't think this would matter but... do you have to use a premium speaker for the ultra board or could you use a hasbro for example. Just wondering incase I get some within the next couple months.

xwingband
08-07-2007, 10:35 AM
The reason you'd want to use the premium speaker is because the board is amped. Using a lower wattage or bad quality speaker will result in distortion, unclear sounds, etc...

Hasbro speakers are junk. chuck 'em out a window unless you have some non-saber uses for them.

goldsaberwarrior
08-07-2007, 05:49 PM
Okay wondered why it's better to use premium speakers. Unfortunatly until recently I couldn't afford to make a saber from here. Now I can so I had to use parts like hasbro before. Their okay if you have nothing else to use.

vortextwist
08-07-2007, 07:09 PM
it's always better to use the better speaker, no matter the application.

SilentBob501
08-07-2007, 07:33 PM
is the premium speaker that tim offers the same one that has been posted up here in the past, the (for lack of a better term) "ambo speaker?"

xwingband
08-07-2007, 07:57 PM
No, Tim has been using a pretty danged good speaker up until now. I don't believe it's the same one ambo found...

The new "premium" speaker can pump out 1W of sound. For a speaker of it's size that's amazing. Previous ones I've used are in the .1-.25W area.

I did rip open a "signing" card and it had a cool .5W speaker in it. :D A hair over 1.5" but good none the less.

Jedi-Loreen
08-07-2007, 09:29 PM
If it was a signing card, wouldn't that mean it was silent? Why would it need a speaker? Maybe some hands coming out to do the signs. lol

Yes, I know you meant "singing", but that was funny. :P

xwingband
08-07-2007, 09:59 PM
Ooops... dyslexia at work. :lol:

Strydur
08-08-2007, 12:25 PM
The previous speakers where the ebay "ambo" I guess style. The new ones are high powered high quality like X said.

Novastar
08-08-2007, 11:36 PM
I can vouch for the higher-quality speakers since I was the one helping Erv, Tim, and Alex to get them in stock.

Think about it. You wouldn't want to give a $80 to $100 driver card some lousy $0.50 speaker. Give it one that really doest the job for such a small (but powerful) application.

Keep in mind: small speakers USUALLY = lousy sound. Not if you use the ones provided though. I spent a LOT of time researching what would be the best for our applications (sabers).

The 28mm speakers aren't the MAXIMUM ideal, but they are pretty bloody close. The 36mm speakers are the ones I have. VERY cool. ;)

goldsaberwarrior
08-08-2007, 11:46 PM
Okay it looks like I'm still a noob when it comes to some of the parts here. hehehe :lol:

Novastar
08-08-2007, 11:50 PM
I'm sorry if I've been confusing... Erv, Tim and Alex decided NOT to stock the 36mm speakers for whatever reason. Probably the expense.

the 28mm speakers are just fine. Far better than the standard MR speaker.

Lord Maul
08-08-2007, 11:54 PM
Novastar, it could also be the fact that they fit less easily into hilts :wink:
the 28MM ones i look forward to using :D

goldsaberwarrior
08-09-2007, 12:03 AM
I'm gonna order a pair of them for an order I'll more than likely make on friday.

Onli-Won Kanomi
08-09-2007, 09:43 PM
Thanks Novastar for finding these great speakers for us...I'm really glad now that I ordered one with my Ultrasound this week...I also ordered the MPS pommel and grill so hopefully it will all work well together...maybe that is why they didnt stock the 36mm one if it wouldnt fit with the MHS/MPS???

Novastar
08-12-2007, 03:36 PM
Not 100% certain, but that is a good reason not to stock them... :)

The Flange v3 sabers have 1.5" sink tube parts for the bottom, and the screw on cap allows me to house the 36mm speakers there nicely.

But certainly they would not fit in an MHS, nor even the inside of the 1.5" tube itself. They are SOOOO loud though, crisp and clear. Yum. :)

They could *ALMOST* be the sound generators for certain BOP III battles, although... with the music they would barely be heard.

And finally--you're welcome for finding them, but Tim, Erv and Alex are the ones who put the entire "let's get them into customers hands" thing into motion. I merely pointed them in the right direction. Glad to help out the saber community, as they have helped me out as well.