PDA

View Full Version : Mounting a Switch

thebluecanary
01-21-2006, 10:38 AM
OK... what tool did you uses to get your switch mounted? My fingers/hand is just too big to get the switch down the tube and back up the hole. Anyone have any ideas?

http://www.sloganizer.net/en/style5,The-spc-Blue-spc-Canary.png

WeirdoTransvestite
01-21-2006, 11:02 AM
A pair of needle nosed pliers, long tweezers, roll the hilt around until it falls into place. You would really have a problem if the nut that held the switch on was inside the tube, like mine. Had a ship in a bottle scenario.

Those who see the light at the end of the tunnel, need to stop staring at the sun.

thebluecanary
01-21-2006, 11:22 AM
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Originally posted by WeirdoTransvestite

A pair of needle nosed pliers, long tweezers, roll the hilt around until it falls into place. You would really have a problem if the nut that held the switch on was inside the tube, like mine. Had a ship in a bottle scenario.

Those who see the light at the end of the tunnel, need to stop staring at the sun.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">

Nut inside the tube is what I have. Or HAD. I just broke the switch. I slid it around, got a really strong magnet, got it in. All was good. Then when I slid the edmiter on, the inverter was pressed up on it, (didn't know that at the time), so I just thought it was stuck, it was ment to have a tight fit, then POP little metal bits come rolling out the end. Oh well. I guess its off to radio shack.

GFORCE13
01-22-2006, 12:13 AM
For my first 2 El's I used Tim's Switches that you tighten from outside the Hilt but to keep it from moving I put a drop of RTV and let it dry so when I tightend it it didn't move. But for the Led from Radio Shack I first put the washer and nut on before soldering it and then used a grabber tool to start the nut and a really long screwdriver to finish the job. Luckily on my new design I am using Graflex Swithches which mount from the outside and using retaining clips through the grip cut out.

May the Force
Be with You

Marc E.

thebluecanary
01-23-2006, 08:10 AM
Well, I got it together, just have to finish up the grip. I'll post some pics tomorrow I am thinking. =) Thanks for the help.

JaysFreaky
01-26-2006, 02:25 AM
Hey Gforce, is there anyway you could make a diagram of what you mean with the LED mounting? I'm wondering how to mount one on mine, and it seems you've figured out how. My package should be getting here this week. I can't wait. :D

GFORCE13
01-27-2006, 09:56 PM
Well I don't know which L. Saber you are putting together(El or Led) but here is how I did my first 2 El Blades: since I am running them on 8AAA's ( 12V) I went to Radio Shack and bought 12 Led's and then just conncected the negative side from the Switch hope this helps.
[8D] http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2062569&cp=&kw=12v+led&parentPage=search

May the Force
Be with You

Marc E.

JaysFreaky
01-28-2006, 02:29 AM
Oh, lucky me. I went to Radioshack and bought that tonight, before I read your reply. lol

But yeah, I'm building an EL. Thanks for the help though.

LAN-ED-TUL
01-28-2006, 04:23 AM
the ones i like to use have a housing that is a cone beveled shape and the nut goes on the inside. the bottom of it is shouldered. so if you wiggle the tube around with the nut inside and get it where the hole is then stick the holder tru hole it slips down to the threaded part. then i use a long screwdriver or a needle file. flat one, and gently start the nut and turn it down till tight. then you have to insert the led with its lil rubber seal up in the bottom of the holder. ive had to do it this way several times when i couldnt reach where i wanted to put them with my finger to start and turn the nut on the holders.

go to the pics section and look up the pics i posted of my qui gonn/vader saber. its el and i think there were some shots showing the led holders there.

You dont know the POWER, of the dark side...