PDA

View Full Version : 1.25" sink tube blade holder question

XarnuSonci
07-30-2007, 12:17 PM
I'm building a 1.25" sink tube, LED hilt, and i'm wondering what the blade holder gives me exactly that i couldn't build myself. If i buy the heat sink would it be that difficult to make something out of pvc that did the same thing. As far as i can tell it just reduces the inside diameter to 1" and has some pre drill/tapped holes for mounting, is this piece more complicated than i think?

xwingband
07-30-2007, 12:32 PM
Well, it's all in one... and it's super solid. I think $20 is worth that.

It is more complicated than you think as it has a recessed area in it that clamps down on the lens assembly.

The closest PVC is still loose for a 1" blade. Also the lens would have a tendency to come loose unless you space it properly. I once made a sub $50 saber for someone where I did this. I wrapped the lens in electrical tape and really pushed it in... the custom heatsink was set screwed in. Okay, but not my preferred.

vortextwist
07-30-2007, 12:42 PM
ya the blade holder is hella worth the 20 bucks. I used one for a friend and it was awsome. easy as pie.

XarnuSonci
07-30-2007, 12:47 PM
ok so there is something inside it that holds the optics in place, that's really what i wanted to know, and that makes it worth it, if it was just a straight tube i'd have tried to build it, but i'll just buy it to get everything nice and tight, i plan to not be gentle with it so i want everything good and secure.

vortextwist
07-30-2007, 12:56 PM
then that is your way to go.

Darth Tollo
07-30-2007, 01:19 PM
I was going to ask the same thing but this answers my question. Can we expect to see something like this for the 1.5 inch too?

xwingband
07-30-2007, 01:41 PM
There already is an equivalent through the adapter that lets you use MHS parts.

Novastar
07-30-2007, 07:17 PM
Mark my words, unless you have your own machine shop and a lot of experience (and $$$ to throw around on boring out aluminum and all that)... I can't honestly see much quibble over Tim's sweet blade holders...

1.25" emitter is awesome, and the "standard" ones are pretty cool too.

I said it before, I'll say it again... talk about killing 4 birds with one stone! Blade holder, LED holder, LED heatsink, fits great with tubes, nice OD too.

goldsaberwarrior
07-30-2007, 10:22 PM
Not to be pushing you into anything but, trust me, just use tim's parts.

supertrogdor
07-31-2007, 06:21 AM
Are we not all forgetting the whole aspect of, this is a forum attatched to a Store. Talking about where can i make x part the store sells for cheaper is quite discourteous. Frankly i think Tim is a little overly tolerant of this particular facet of the game. Unless you are prepared to do as Nova suggested and get into machining yourself, even still at that point you would likely want one or two of Tim's parts for reference material, as he really has got it going on in this facet of machining.

XarnuSonci
07-31-2007, 07:58 AM
my question was not where can i make it cheaper, though that was obviously my goal as i could not see why the part was worth $20, because nothing in the store says it's machined out to hold the optics in place. I thought it was just a tube. I have been informed that it is a more complicated piece than i thought Tim might want to expand its description in the store so new builders like myself know that the has more to it than the pictures or current description shows.

It is more complicated than you think as it has a recessed area in it that clamps down on the lens assembly.
that was all it took to get me to know it was worth buying rather than trying to make it, and i ordered it yesterday along with the electronics for my hilt, can't wait to put it all together.

Marsupial
07-31-2007, 12:04 PM
Even just a "blade holder" without lens assembly and LED holder would be worth its 20$. I've been making sabers for long ennough to prefer getting stuff machined to anything handmade for blade holding. I tried most everything.

This said, TCSS always had great price on good quality products. I've seen blade holders a lot more expansive then that in the past, having less options.

Vazan Maceu
09-02-2007, 06:39 AM
That blade holder looks really good... I just found a piece of chromed pipe that would be a good candidate for a lightsaber, and it has an inner diameter of 31 mm, and now I´m wondering if this 1.25 inch blade holder will fit inside the pipe...

Thanks in advance for helping this padawan :wink:

vortextwist
09-02-2007, 07:06 AM
it'll be pretty close. 1.25 sink tube is like 31.7 mm, acording to my digital guage.

Vazan Maceu
09-02-2007, 07:17 AM
it'll be pretty close. 1.25 sink tube is like 31.7 mm, acording to my digital guage.

Yeah, it´ll surely be pretty tight... I´m a little worried about that ".7", though, but will give it a try for sure. Thanks for your help, vortextwist :D

vortextwist
09-02-2007, 07:46 AM
you could always do some sanding.

Novastar
09-02-2007, 01:43 PM
I can't remember a single saber I've made/repaired that did NOT require sanding of some kind... whether on driver board edges (Corbin's) or on parts like sink tubes or MHS pieces. I even sand the nylon screws sometimes for the 1.25" black anodized emitter--so they will fit better. :)

Doesn't take much.

gundamaniac
09-16-2007, 12:23 PM
Every saber I've made needed sanding of some kind too...

but I suppose...if you made a pure MHS hilt with no overlays...and utilized electronics that that fit inside with no mods...then you'd theoretically have a hilt that would require zero sanding whatsoever. God that's a wierd thought o.O