PDA

View Full Version : Machining Equipment??

nemik
07-28-2007, 05:00 PM
Hello i was wondering what equipment I would need to machine my own Lightsaber parts?

I would like to machine parts in different types of shapes, sizes and materials and wanted to know what I would need to get started, where to get it and how much it may cost.

Thanks guys :)

xwingband
07-28-2007, 05:13 PM
Ryan of Randomsabers wrote this a bit ago. I find it helpful if a bit disheartening at the lack of tools I really want.

I'd consider a lathe, bandsaw, and drill press the vitals.

If I had it all to do over again, I would certainly do things differently...especially knowing that where I started out and where I ended up are so far apart in terms of what I knew and what I used, that I have come up with a short list of saber-making tools and a little review on each one. Granted, I havent used many of these, but I can base them off of the tools I have used and give you an idea of what would be an 'entry level' setup and one that if I had the money to go out and spend, what I would buy tomorrow to outfit an entire shop all over again.

Feel free to submit questions or even specific products, and like I say: I may not have ever used it, but I can give you a brief synapses on what I think of it. If you are Mike (xwingband) you'll have to bear in mind that much of this is just my opinion, and while you can piss and moan and sulk off the board because you dont like to acknowledge others opinions...in the end, its just that. SO, as I mentioned to a fellow machinist just a day ago, take everything I say with at least a little grain of salt.

First up - the LATHE:

By far, the most important piece, this machine (for those who dont know) spins a piece of material (usually a round tube or round solid stock) along its long axis, and specific shaped tools take off small amounts of the material, little by little. Some lathes make you manually move the tool bit back and forth and others allow you to use the lathe motor to run the tool automatically so you can get a more uniform finish.

As an entry level machine, I wouldnt go any lower than the MicroMark 14" bench lathe:
http://www.ares-server.com/Ares/Ares.asp?MerchantID=RET01229&Action=Catalog&Type=Product&ID=82710

You could pick this up by yourself as its under 100 lbs...which is nice since you could transport it just about anywhere and just bolt it to a nice flat workbench. Its also a bane in that unless you live next door to a MicroMark, they'll have to ship in a 100 lb machine. I believe that Harbor Freight may sell a similar lathe but if memory serves me correctly, its only a 10" or 12" lathe...which means that it will really only turn a piece of material that is 9" long. So sabers would have to be multiple pieces. There is nothing at all wrong with this, and it may be easier, since you can potentially screw up half of a saber and still have the other half in good shape.

While this lathe wont machine threads (when I say that, I mean large threads, not tap and die threads) it will allow the apron (thats the part that holds the tool and has the large wheel on the face) to ride along a leadscrew driven by the motor...this allows for a more uniform finish. All in all, its probably the best starter lathe if someone were sort-of interested in saber machining but not ready to take out a loan for something bigger.

If I were outfitting myself in a new shop, I'd max out with this model again:
http://www.shoprutlandtool.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay;jsessionid=0000QJIegY32kOz6mS1RD_HQ 1Ae:-1?catalogId=10001&storeId=10001&productId=30025&langId=-1
Its a 13X40 lathe, so it can turn a max diameter of 13" and a max length of around 38" long. I started out (sort of) with this giant lathe and quickly found it was too big. My next lathe was much smaller, but in many ways, I miss the engine power that this had over the motor that I now use.

In either case, you'll want to invest in lathe tools and whats called a Quick Change Tool Post (QCTP) - that allows you to quickly lock on different shaped cutting tools or knurling wheels or even cutoff blades while you are working, as opposed to having to constantly setup the correct height on the tools each time.
Littlemachineshop.com is an amazingly cool place, and they have the best prices on QCTP's - especially ones that will fit the smaller lathes like that MicroMark version, for around $100.
A good set of lathe tools can be bought for around $20, but I buy indexable carbide tools...this means that the actual cutting edges can be swapped out and changed for sharper bits quickly and inexpensively.
http://www.use-enco.com/HTM/2007/img/104.png
Truth is, you'll want/need a set of different shapes along with cut-off blades and even knurling wheels - straight and diamond, with multiple pitches to create fine, medium and coarse patterns.

The mill is the next most important piece of your collection, in my opinion, and for those that dont know, its essentially a drill press that can withstand heavy side loads. The bits stay spinning in one place, while you move the parts to be machined around on the base.

There are some among us here who have really small milling machines, called micro-mills. While I have never used one in any real machining capacity, if all you are doing is the occasional slot and/or hole drilling, they are probably pretty good. However, if you were machining sabers for other people, I would buy this mill as a minimum:
http://www.ares-server.com/Ares/Ares.asp?MerchantID=RET01229&Action=Catalog&Type=Product&ID=82573
At $500 its a steal, since its big enough to handle most jobs you can throw at it, and its light enough that one person can lift it. You can also outfit it with whats called an indexing device that allows you to rotate the part being milled around its long axis...so you could get accurate spacing for grips or even pommel cubes.
One nice feature of this mill is that its equipped with a Jacobs chuck, so you dont have to have a special set of collets to hold the mills...you can just use the chuck and quickly move between milling bits and drill bits.

I am just about due for a new mill, and this is what I have my eyes on:
http://www.use-enco.com/CGI/INSRIT?PMAKA=105-1132&PMPXNO=953978&PARTPG=INLMK32
Essentially, its just a little bigger and a little more powerful than the MicroMark mill.

In addition to the mill, you'll need a clamp - I suggest something that is easy to use, so my vice of choice (besides hookers) is this one:
http://www.use-enco.com/CGI/INPDFF?PMPAGE=306&PMCTLG=00 (in the top left corner)
A vice is sort of a matter of preference, so its really up to the user what they want to use.

You'll also need a set of milling bits. You can spend almost as much or as little on these as you want. I'd suggest a set from 1/16" to at least 1/2" in 1/16" increments. I'd suggest around $100 for the complete set, but thats just because I like quality bits that arent going to break on me in the middle of a project.

--
Next up, you'll want to invest in a bandsaw -a metal bandsaw to cut the pieces to shape, especially if you are ordering metal in 24 foot lengths. I'd say go for one that is convertable and does both vertical and horizontal cutting - that way, you can cut bars and such so you dont end up doing too much milling.
There is no real preference on a bandsaw...I have one that has a coolant feed, to keep the blade from overheating, but if you are just doing aluminum, its probably not critical. Look to spend around $250 on one of these, and I'd suggest getting one local, so you dont have to have it shipped in.

--
As for a rotary tool, this is also a matter of preference. Some people dont mind the Dremel brand, but quite frankly for as much as I used to use mine, I was burning out the motors in around 2 months time, and was constantly buying new ones. So, I opted for a Foredom kit:
http://www.use-enco.com/CGI/INSRIT?PARTPG=INSRAR2&PMAKA=804-0902&PMPXNO=2606971
Its a little more pricey than the Dremel and I understand you can pick them up off of eBay for less, but I'd say buy one locally so you can pick and choose the handset you like along with the bits you want...otherwise, you'll be stuck with 3 dozen random bits that you'll never use, at least not for machining.

--

I also have a spindle sander and a belt/disk sander combo - just woodworking tools...mostly to help shape things before they actually get machined. Look to spend around $150 for each of them for a decent quality. You dont have to buy high-end pieces on these, since they dont get a ton of use.

--

Pick yourself up a decent power drill and a 115 bit set, and look to spend $100 or so on the combo. Dont scrimp on the bits otherwise, they'll dull easily, so buy quality bits.
You'll also want to pickup a small tap/die set that goes from 4-40 to at least 3/8 size. Again, a cheap set will only break taps off in the metal, so look to spend around $75 for something decent.

--

A buffing wheel is a necessity if you want a good finish. Even tons of care while lathing will still leave you with tool marks, so you'll want to pickup a $100 high torque/low speed buffer and look to spend another $50 in wheels and compounds like Tripoli and Red/White Rouge.

nemik
07-28-2007, 05:49 PM
Thank you so much for your help this is most helpful and informative. Some of this is a bit out of my price range as I am a saber hobbyist and do not plan to make money on them so to spend 4k on a lathe is a bit much but I definitely could save up for some of these in the near future.

again thank you so much for your help :)

xwingband
07-28-2007, 06:26 PM
Like he says a smaller lathe is cool too if you are okay machining in pieces. The one he posted is what I've been eyeing. Sadly it will be quite a while before I have space for it.

nemik
07-29-2007, 01:31 AM
Well space will not be a problem my pop is building a garage for working on cars and other projects, its the cashola that will dent my pocket for a while. Maybe I can convince him to go in half that would really good.

Proximal
07-31-2007, 01:10 PM
how about this?

http://cgi.ebay.com/New-MINI-MULTIPURPOSE-MACHINE-Mill-Drill-Lathe_W0QQitemZ220135393309QQihZ012QQcategoryZ1042 41QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

pockets
07-31-2007, 01:43 PM
just invest in a CNC machine lol

Proximal
07-31-2007, 02:16 PM
I've never used a CNC machine. I doubt I would need one for a few reasons. I wouldn't be able to pick it up solo. If it breaks, I'd pay a fortune to repair it. It is overkill for a hobby such as sabersmithing IMO. Maybe you know something I don't. *shrug*

pockets
07-31-2007, 02:27 PM
nah it was joke haha. they cost a fortune and definately are overkill for our use

goldsaberwarrior
07-31-2007, 05:04 PM
What's the matter with overkill as long as you get some kill? hehehehehe lol :lol:

nemik
08-01-2007, 06:24 PM
that looks like it would do the trick and it won't leave a rather large gash in my pocket... One thing I didn't see what max size material it accepts or maybe I missed it. Thanks :)

Proximal
08-02-2007, 07:35 AM
it says it is 20" overall so I would guess about 7-8 inches max which is perfect for doing small sections to go with mhs parts. I didn't see if it did threading though.

neophyl
08-02-2007, 10:26 AM
The lathe says 7" between centres so allowing for some form of centre on the tailstock its only really going to be useful for around 4-5" long sections.

Personally Id say dont waste your money on it. The overhead drill is practically useless also. Get something with around 16-20" between centres, at least that will be useful. My lathe is bigger than that dinky one on ebay and Im regretting not getting a bigger one now.

nemik
08-04-2007, 06:42 PM
yea i was looking at that and I figured by time I paid the shipping the guy wants to Hawaii it is the same price as the lathe I was looking at. So I think I will just spend the money for the lathe. ALso I am just looking around right now cause I want to wait till I'm done building our workshop first.

Thanks guys for the help if there are any other units that you guys like that are between 400 - 800 dollars that you would suggest that be great. Thanks for all your help :)