PDA

View Full Version : Suggestions for a new hilt.

Corbin_Das
07-28-2007, 11:14 AM
Hi everyone.
In the next year, I'm hoping to build my next custom saber. I'm wanting to continue to challenge myself by coming up with a way to fit more features into a saber without increasing the size too awful much (don't we all?). The Plecter Labs' board allows for more and more features without increasing the space though, which is really cool. So a lot of the things I'm wanting to do will revolve around how I can creatively implement features while taking advantage of what it has to offer.

I don't have any real design for my new saber yet. I've got some features I'd like to have though, but I'm not sure if I can incorporate them all or not:

*A 5 watt Luxeon or maybe a Rebel, depending on what's the current brightest available LED is. Maybe something from Cree. Not sure on color yet.

*A Plecter Labs v 2.5 board, although if I can get my 2.5 to fit in the Killer Penny (http://www.thecustomsabershop.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1597), I might try the Ultra board, if available. We'll see.

*A lighted crystal that ramps up and down in sync with the blade and is visable from the outside, of course.

or...

*A series of 3 or 4 ancient runes or symbols cut into the saber that light up when the saber is activated. If going with the Plecter board, I might even be able to have them light up sequentially.

*An in sync resonator that's adjustable for intensity.

*Some sort of power level indicator. I believe the Plecter board has this function in the form of a flashing LED (which could light my runes or crystal).

*Of course, some sort of rechargeable setup, Li-Ions most likely. I have some with 3300mAh to them, so that should be plenty.

*A kill switch recharge port. Maybe I'll have the recharge port in a covertech knob or something.

*I'm thinking a single bladed saber, not a staff. Makes it easier for the sound. It will have a 1" OD blade. I HAD considered a matched pair of sabers, or a long and a short, like a samurai would wear, but we'll see.

*I think it would be cool to use some carbon fiber elements on the hilt. I'm not really sure where I'll do that yet, but I'm working on it.

*Here is a pie in the sky idea: I have a DC powered capacitance switch (like a touch lamp circuit) that I thought would be cool to incorporate somehow. If I could find another circuit that would slowly pulse an LED or resonator like the saber was "breathing" or had a "heartbeat", it might be cool to have the saber react to you picking it up or touching it somewhere. I know this will likely never be done, but it would be cool I think.

*The pommel would either be removable or somehow the SD card from the Plecter board could be accessed without having to take the saber apart too much.

As the list grows and grows, I understand (as well as anyone I suspect) that space will become an issue in very short order. Because of that, I'm not adding a wireless transmitter to the speaker output so I can play the sounds through my home stereo. I admit that would be pretty cool, especially since the latest Plecter board is going to be able to act as an MP3 player too I understand. But that's not a high priority for me really. A dual speaker system won't be necessary either I don't think (though I'm trying it on another saber).

Let's see, can anyone think of anything else? Flamethrower? Retractable switchblade? Decoder ring? :D

Corbin

P.S. In chatting with a few people over the past few months, several have asked if I would make this saber from MHS pieces. I can say that if I do, they will likely be heavilly modified or even incorporate completely custom made pieces/materials. The MHS is great for repairs and alterations and makes changing out Luxeons pretty easy.
That being said, I'm not really sure if this saber will use MHS parts or not. I like the idea, but I'm one of those wacky people that likes to have something completely unique. :P

vortextwist
07-28-2007, 12:12 PM
sounds like you got your mind full of stuff. I'm likeing all of them ideas. I just hope you can get all of that in there with out a 12' hilt. lol

goldsaberwarrior
07-28-2007, 12:19 PM
Have you ever considered making yourself a double hilt? Every collection needs one. Just a thought anyway. :)

Corbin_Das
07-28-2007, 12:26 PM
GSW,
I've considered a double hilt. My main issues with that is needing 2 sound boards and the fact that I can handle a single saber better than a staff, though I suppose with practice, anything is do-able.

Vortextwist,
I wouldn't mind a 12" hilt. My Jonitus saber (http://www.thecustomsabershop.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2719) is about 15 or 16 inches (including the shroud) and it's not too unwieldy. I wouldn't want to go too terribly long and keep the saber a single bladed unit though. The Jonitus is about my personal max I'd feel comfortable with. I'm shooting at around 12 or 13" I think with this next one.

Corbin

vortextwist
07-28-2007, 12:47 PM
GSW,
I've considered a double hilt. My main issues with that is needing 2 sound boards and the fact that I can handle a single saber better than a staff, though I suppose with practice, anything is do-able.

Vortextwist,
I wouldn't mind a 12" hilt. My Jonitus saber (http://www.thecustomsabershop.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2719) is about 15 or 16 inches (including the shroud) and it's not too unwieldy. I wouldn't want to go too terribly long and keep the saber a single bladed unit though. The Jonitus is about my personal max I'd feel comfortable with. I'm shooting at around 12 or 13" I think with this next one.

Corbin
actually I was exagerating and said 12' (foot) lol. but ya, a 12 inch or so wouldn't be bad, I think mine is that long and I like it.

Hasid Lafre
07-28-2007, 03:17 PM
What I think would be really cool is if you setup up the innards like a real saber would look like. Kinda like how erv did his graflex but talken to the extream.

As far as other ideas and such. I would have a chassie that holds everythng still and whatnot.

For an ease of acces to the sd card Maybe you could remote mount the card and make a slot in the pommel and maybe a small screw on protective cap.

Wasent erv working on a simple PLI accent type led? Iwould try to incorporate something like that but a very slim type. And whats great about this is that you dont even need to have a nother led. use it as just like a port window and use the light from the crystal shining behind it.

I would love to see some no exposed power switch options. but you will need a aux switch. Maybe you could hide the switch in the case of the accent led type things.

With the runic's I would have them etched into the hilt so something that the runics also act as a grip, but recessed.

As for the led I would try to put togeather some kinda out of the box color with the rebels. Like maybe a goldish color if possable.

Or you could get yourself a titan led. if your gonna go for a white go for the most powerfull white.

As for the hilt itself I would have it look somethng old like older than anchent. but well kept so basicly no discolor weathering, with my hilt its actually turning a different color. like the dirt and sweat and grime is now part of the hilt. It was getting stickey so when I took the plates and rings off it was shiny as hell underneath.

With the hllt design I would keep it simple but stands out. I would stick with aluminum for this saber. I know you love brass and copper but I would try that trick of making the hilt a gun metal color like take steel wool and wetsand it with that.

I persionally would have some hard to see speaker vents and have the speaker up twards the bladeholder area so you get that hey my saber is makeing the sound not the pommel.

Me I would go one up and put the omni sabers unit in here also. when walking around a con you can have it transmit its signel to say a palm pilot and have a spekaer system in your back pack. then people will be wondering where the hell the sound is comming from.

goldsaberwarrior
07-28-2007, 07:31 PM
What about a cross between the KP and a darth malak.

Corbin_Das
07-28-2007, 08:36 PM
Hi guys (and gals)

Vortex,
Sorry I didn't catch the 12 foot thing. I've had a migraine all day and I'm not as focused as I should be. rest assured, it will be under 12 feet long. :D

GSW,
This saber won't be brass or copper, so if by "a combination of the KP and Darth Malak, you mean brass, it's not likely to happen. I'm not even sure if it'll have any brass or copper accents on it. I'm thinking silver and black. Like I mentioned, perhaps some carbon fiber might be used.

Hasid,
Having a real looking inside would be cool, but if it can be done while still fitting everything inside, that would be cool. I know Erv's Graflex has to expose the crystal in order to recharge the saber. I'm not sure if I'd want to go that route or not, but we'll see.

Erv' said a remote SD card port is a no-go. I asked already. :D

I'd have to really work at having no exposed power switch, but I suspect something could be hidden somehow. Perhaps one of the runes could be pressed or maybe one of the accent LEDs, if I had any.

If I go white, I probably WILL go with a Titan, assuming it's still the brightest thing going at the time.

Ancient looking is a posibility, though I was considering just a battle worn saber and not an "ancient" one.

I was intending of having hidden speaker holes, or at least disguised ones. I agree that having the sound come out of the saber's front or center is better than the pommel generally.

I'm not familiar with the omnisaber sound system. I think I've heard someone mention it before though. Isn't that Hyperdyne's setup?

Corbin

Hasid Lafre
07-28-2007, 09:36 PM
its ervs wireless sound system

Corbin_Das
07-28-2007, 09:37 PM
I guess I need to research a bit more, huh? :D

vortextwist
07-29-2007, 07:29 AM
Hi guys (and gals)

I'd have to really work at having no exposed power switch, but I suspect something could be hidden somehow. Corbin
I remember madcow had a cool way of hiding his power switch on one of his sabers. He used a collar type thing and you twisted it to turn it on. the switch is under the swiss army logo.

here's a link to that saber.
http://www.freewebs.com/genesis_sabers/whatsnew.htm

Barmic Rin
07-29-2007, 07:55 AM
I can see the hilt being about 18" long whether it's single or dual.

Picture it now people:
Joe & his CLAYMORE SABER!!!! NOW WITHOUT A FORK SHROUD!!!!! (hushed gasps from the crowd. "No fork? That's so unlike him!") :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I love the way you have these plans that'll get the rest of us scratching our heads in confusion til next christmas!

Corbin_Das
07-29-2007, 12:18 PM
NOW WITHOUT A FORK SHROUD!!!!!

Now, let's not jump to conclusions! :D

I mean.....Me without a forked shroud is like.....I don't know......

A peanut butter and jelly sandwich without the OLIVES! :?

Just kidding. (I don't like olives)

The design might not have a forked shroud, or maybe it will. It might not even have a shroud at all. Perhaps claws or a more classic lathe turned piece will be chosen. Maybe I'll do some weird spiral-like helix of a shroud sorta like this:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v345/corbin_das/ChaydSaber.jpg

I now that at one point, I was considering a dueling saber that looks sorta like THIS. I'm probably not going that route with my new saber though (famous last words):

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v345/corbin_das/final2.jpg

I'm not sure if I'll use it, but I have a pair of custom MHS pommels that I've been saving for a special project. Maybe I could you one of them:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v345/corbin_das/pommel.jpg

Like I said, I could pretty much go any direction with this thing. It's hard to say how it will end up.

Corbin

xwingband
07-29-2007, 12:23 PM
I've had an irresistable urge to someday to see some dark chrome elements on a hilt. I have no ideas for a design, but you can take it if you please. I still want my copper/brass saber to come to fruition.

Corbin_Das
07-29-2007, 02:14 PM
Dark chrome, huh?

I have an EL saber called an Intrepid by Guy Thomas that has chrome. I'm not sure if you'd call it "dark chrome" though:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v345/corbin_das/intrepid.jpg

Note the similarity of the pommel to the custom ones I posted above. See any inpiration there? :)

I DO have one design for a matched pair of sabers from a long time ago that I never did anything much with.
It uses dark chrome elements. Maybe I'll build them someday.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v345/corbin_das/pair.jpg

Corbin

fau-pa ramid
07-29-2007, 05:05 PM
OMG that spiral shroud is killer! :shock:

Jetsi
07-29-2007, 07:32 PM
I agree, the helix shroud would be an astounding show piece. I would be afraid to actually duel with it though, unless you were working with some high strengh steel that could take a beating or seventeen.

Lord Maul
07-29-2007, 07:40 PM
the curved saber with the spiral shroud would make one badass sith saber.

i too would be worried about the metal bending on the spiral when the blade flexes

goldsaberwarrior
07-29-2007, 07:50 PM
I meant using some parts that look like parts from the KP and the malak. I was suggesting the parts be similar to the parts from the two sabers. Color wasn't part of what I was suggesting. :o As far as what color you use and parts is up to you. I was trying to say you may want to use some aluminum parts for example that look like parts from the KP and a malak. Sorry I confused you. :)

Corbin_Das
07-29-2007, 08:33 PM
No problem GSW
Here's a silver and black version of the KP:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v345/corbin_das/silvercollagewp.jpg

I sorta like it, but I'm probably not going to do it. I might use the fluted grip section or something though. I'll have to get a pic
of the Malik saber, since I don't know its design very well.

Corbin

P.S. I'm glad folks like the spiraled emitter shroud. I actually did that one for my girlfriend. She described what she wanted it
to look like and I drew up something like what she described.

goldsaberwarrior
07-30-2007, 12:41 AM
I have a pic here.
http://thelightsaber.com/HistorySabers/SmallPics/XSM1.jpg
Don't know if you can tell enough about it to use it. Anyway this is a malak saber.

Hasid Lafre
07-30-2007, 01:01 AM
susposidly. persionally I wouldent use it.

Use the images you know are correct. like the ones in the pages of comics or even if its a really crappy screen shot from the tv.

thelightsaber.com maybe accurate about pics that are real but his creations are just that. there all fabricated.

goldsaberwarrior
07-30-2007, 01:12 AM
That's all I've ever found so far on the malak. I'll post a better pic for corbin sometime in the next 2 or 3 days.

Barmic Rin
07-30-2007, 01:17 AM
This one isn't 100%, but it's not too bad a likeness:

http://conceptprops.blogspot.com/2007/07/kotor-darth-malak-lightsaber.html

goldsaberwarrior
07-30-2007, 05:22 PM
UGLY saber. I think the malak from lightsaber.com is a lot better looking myself. I'm still looking for a malak saber photo for corbin. I think I have an idea of a place for one to look. Will post soon.

Corbin_Das
07-30-2007, 05:40 PM
Don't knock yourself out GSW.

While I often find inpiration for elements from other sabers, I'm not one to copy things too much. Probably because I like having semi-unique stuff. That's not to say I'm going to necessarily have something WAY out there, but you never know.

Of course, what's "way out there" right now might be en vogue a year from know (like a side handled saber, a-la Force Unleashed) or a saber-spear (again, from Force Unleashed) or even a "Predator-style" saber gauntlet or saber-chucks (well, one side a handle and the other a blade).

Chances are I'll do something a bit more "inside the box" though.

But you never know. :D

Corbin

goldsaberwarrior
07-30-2007, 05:52 PM
I just wish I had a program where I could make 3D saber pics like you used to make that pic of the black and white KP. If I could get a program like that I would have it made. You all wouldn't know where to get a program like that would you?

Corbin_Das
07-30-2007, 05:53 PM
Actually, Ace did that picture. I'm not sure what program he used.

Hasid Lafre
07-30-2007, 08:43 PM
I hear flash is a good program.

But anyway Corbin what ideas have you came up with that you want to use?

Corbin_Das
07-30-2007, 11:11 PM
But anyway Corbin what ideas have you came up with that you want to use?

The list is on page 1. The very first post.

Beyond that, I don't really know yet.

Corbin