PDA

View Full Version : drill &tap question

Jargo
07-27-2007, 12:57 AM
https://www.thecustomsabershop.com/p-695-screw-on-led-blade-holder-style-3.aspx
does this blade holder come pre drilled&tapped.If not will i need to get the screws for it and what screws and how many will i need?(just asking cause in the pic it just shows the screws for the LED mount).Also i want to ask if there is a drill & tap tutorial page in the forum somewhere?I have been truing to find some help for this topic for ages and i have looked everywere in the site. Thnx for any help guys 8)

Hasid Lafre
07-27-2007, 01:20 AM
None of them come drilled and tapted.

you can do it or theres the charge fee of having tim do it for you.

xwingband
07-27-2007, 05:30 AM
They never come tapped. You can however pay for Tim to do it through the services page.

If you plan on doing more sabers later buying the tap set is advisable. It's dead simple to do yourself though. Use the search function as this came up before.

Pretty simple though. It comes with the drill you need then use the tap to cut the threads. You use it like a cork screw. Only thing to worry about is resistance! If you get any stop, unscrew, clean the hole and proceed again. :)

supertrogdor
07-27-2007, 05:33 AM
Drilling and tapping was discussed once upon a time, and if you trolled through some search results under that heading you would likely come up with something. It is exceptionally simple to do it however. Drill the hole with the bit that comes with the tap, and use the hand tool to slowly crank through. Backtrack every 1/4 to 1/2 turn to break off any burs. It is very easy. You can use a tapping agent if you wish, but most of what we do here is a small enough tap that it is arguably unecessary.

Hasid Lafre
07-27-2007, 06:14 AM
Sometimes that tapping agent is a pain to clean up too.

Novastar
07-28-2007, 01:15 AM
I've never had trouble drilling and tapping any materials for sabers (sink tube, MHS, MR material or otherwise), and I'm a complete yutz at it.

All I did is buy a kit, look at everything, and decide to start doing things. It worked. What can I say, I'm just a chimp in a suit... ;)

orko
10-20-2007, 06:15 PM
I am an Asst. Resident Manager for a Highrise Condo in NYC and i am the Resident Manager for my own building in Brooklyn and if I had a dollar for every time I had to "Drill & Tap" somthing I'd be a Billionare.... It is the easiest thing to do
1) Dont cheap out on the equipment especially if you plan on building multiple sabers, get yourself a basic set "Irwin" makes a decent set fairly priced. Heres a link http://www.irwin.com/irwin/consumer/jhtml/browse.jhtml?catId=IrwinCat100451 if not they also sell individuals which come with the correct bit for the tap.
2) when drilling go slow, use the high tork setting on your drill if it has one, the reason for this is the friction of the drilling will heat the metal and and can soften it and degrade its strength and aluminum and brass are soft metals to begin with (most popular metals used to make drain tubing and saber hilts from TCSS). Keep the drill as straight as possable and even better if you use a drill press if one is available.
3)When Tapping the Threads Definitely use a light oil, 3-in-1 is excellent for small tapping jobs. By using a lubricant it makes tapping easier and less likely to damage the threads because of the need for excess force. You can wash the residual oil off with any grease cutting dish soap. Just dry the parts good.

Hope that helps any tapping q's for anyone who has never drilled and tapped before.