PDA

View Full Version : Colour filter sheet/rolls in blades instead of discs?

Onli-Won Kanomi
07-26-2007, 10:31 PM
I know Tim and others sell colour filter discs for use with white LEDs and some folks cut similar discs out of the Lee filter swatchbook but has anyone tried using the Lee [or other] coloured filter SHEET/ROLLS inside a saber blade tube instead of using coloured discs over the LED?

If anyone has did you find any brightness, evenness or other advantage or disadvantage to that compared to putting the coloured filter directly over the white LED?

And would coloured optical filter sheet/rolls in the blade serve as the diffuser themselves or would they still require a separate diffuser like Corbins or Ultras?

If so in which order would one put them in the blade? colour filter sheet/rolls in first then diffuser sheet/rolls inside or vice versa?

If anyone has already experimented with this [and looking through this forum it often seems like everything i think of some of you have already tried lol] I'd be curious as to your results?

neophyl
07-26-2007, 10:58 PM
Yes :)

Its something weve been doing for awhile now. It doesnt affect eveness in anyway or help diffuse the light as thats not what lighting gel is designed to do. In fact light wise its not any different than using a small disc over the led.
The one BIG area of improvement though is that your blade is coloured even when its off and pictures taken with camera flash still look good when doing posed camera shots.

http://www.spartandesign.co.uk/pictures/ukeu.jpg

As you can see the blades here outside are off and still coloured. When on they look the same as anyother red luxeon sabre indoors.

Ive got a yellow blade (with white led) that I was wondering around with at CE that uses the yellow lighting gel.

Onli-Won Kanomi
07-26-2007, 11:52 PM
Thanks! Those look great even in daylight! :)

So it looks like you put the red filter in first then the diffuser inside that is that correct?

Btw luv that pic; I just set it as my wallpaper [I'm a big KOTOR fan]...congrats on those great costumes as well as the great sabers!

Hasid Lafre
01-18-2008, 11:25 PM
Old topic I know but I think theres gonna be a great intrest comming from this in teh near future.

So Neophyl any idea where to get this gell filter diffusion stuff.

I remember looking at something a while back that I seen colored cellophain or polyP style stuff.

Would that work or is this colord PolyP stuff not gonna cause a decent enought color in teh end.

Obi-Dar Ke-Gnomie
01-19-2008, 07:29 AM
I tried green cellophane gift wrap in my blade, and found that it dimmed it pretty bad. Could just be the type of film that it was. Something that is designed as optical film or some other type of film might have different results.

Hasid Lafre
01-19-2008, 03:24 PM
I see, i wonder if we can get neophyl to chim in here.