PDA

View Full Version : proper tools

scaloth
11-02-2005, 09:39 PM
when i built my last saber i was using a dremel that i borrowed from a friend. i had incredible difficulty cutting through not only the metal sink pipe, but also the pvc i used for the grip. the cutting wheels i used were supposedly for "heavy duty" use, but i broke two of them on just the sink pipe alone. are there special cutting wheels for the sink pipe, and also the pvc, that i should look into?

Strydur
11-02-2005, 09:43 PM
The ones that came with my dremel seem to cut through the sink tubes pretty darn easy.

Tim
The Custom Saber Shop

Erik
11-02-2005, 10:52 PM
Be careful as to which thickness tube you get. My first was made with a COMMERCIAL thickness tube. Big mistake, I needed a die grinder to cut through that puppy. It made my dremel cry.

informalmyx
11-03-2005, 06:17 AM
actually scaloth i had that problem also but i doubt its the tool's fault or the cutting blades either i had to learn how to properly cut using the dremel also so i practiced on spare scrape left over from previous adventures. i practise cutting on aluminum siding panels and some spare plexy glass http://www.mnpctech.com/Dremel.html is a place that has a good tutorial

<center>http://home.earthlink.net/~myxmyth/infomyx.jpg
"Many claim to have found serenity, and through serenity to have overcome anger. Such arrogance is astounding."</center>

LAN-ED-TUL
11-04-2005, 11:55 PM
actually guys what i use in my dremel are the reinforced cutting wheels. they havent broke on me yet and cut through bout anything i have thrown at it.

suit_man
11-05-2005, 08:06 AM
i use reinforced as well and haven't broken any. i have cut through 1/16" steel with no problems.

i am a nerd, if you don't like it, i will cut you with my lightsaber

curtainguy
11-19-2005, 05:28 PM
if it comes down to it, it is possible to cut sink tubes with a hack saw... why i even tried was beyond me but it did work rather well.

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b121/curtainguy04/vader.jpg

StrangeWings
11-19-2005, 10:08 PM
I used a hack saw to cut through my copper pipe because I wanted a 45 degree angle on the ends. So I used a miter box and a hack saw. It was a pain in the butt. Then I had to go back and use the dremel to clean up the cuts.

Strydur
11-19-2005, 10:29 PM
If you order a tube from me and want a angle cut I will do those for free. Just tell me in the notes what angle you want it cut at.

Tim
The Custom Saber Shop

Darth Vengus
11-21-2005, 06:27 PM
<font face="Book Antiqua"><font size="2"><font color="red">Crap! <u>Now</u> he tells me[:D]! Ahhh, I guess I want to do it myself, anyway (like a real Jedi/Sith would have to[;)].)

Vengus</font id="red"></font id="size2"></font id="Book Antiqua">

"That which does not kill us makes us stronger, faster and more deadly than before. Go and seek death, my Apprentice." - Vengus, Sith Lord

ronzomi
12-19-2005, 01:57 AM
I used a Dremel with the light duty cutting wheel with no problem. If you go to Lowes or Home Depot, you do need to pay attention to the type of sink tube, they are made of brass, but some are 20g and some are 22g, the 22g being thinner will be pretty easy to cut (this on some boxes is the difference between "Consumer" and "Contractor" or "Commercial". Use the Dremel at its highest speed (wear face protection!).
I have also found that as far as drilling holes in sheet metal use a Uni-bit, its a stepped bit shaped like a cone, they come in various sizes-spendy, but worth it, and you will have a nice hole with no burrs. Put a wooden closet pole inside the tube, then a centerpunch to mark your start point for the drill bit.