PDA

View Full Version : Holy Cow. Tri-Rebel... ALREADY??!?!

Novastar
07-21-2007, 04:21 PM
That was quick.

http://luxeonstar.com/

Much quicker than it took for the K2s to come out! Ummm.... yummy! Discuss, discuss, discuss!!!!! :shock:

vortextwist
07-21-2007, 04:25 PM
can't wait till they have lenses available

Stinky Bantha
07-21-2007, 04:34 PM
can't wait till they have lenses available

Exactly what I was thinking

Novastar
07-21-2007, 04:34 PM
Oh they're out there. You just have to look.

But... 9V???!?!?!!

Saaaannntaaaa Mariiiiaaaahhhh!!!!! :shock:

Stinky Bantha
07-21-2007, 04:35 PM
Oh they're out there. You just have to look.

But... 9V???!?!?!!

Saaaannntaaaa Mariiiiaaaahhhh!!!!! :shock:

Maybe they're talking about the combined voltage for it? So each LED would only need 3 volts?

vortextwist
07-21-2007, 04:38 PM
yes but you will still need 9v

Stinky Bantha
07-21-2007, 04:40 PM
yes but you will still need 9v

Fair enough.. I guess I just misunderstood the excitement

vortextwist
07-21-2007, 04:41 PM
lol, no prob.

Novastar
07-21-2007, 04:42 PM
yes but you will still need 9vNot necessarily. I think it would be possible to light the crazy bah-sturd RGB one up with around 8v. Granted, no you would not be running all 3 LEDs at their Max Cont. Current.

But that is the point... not a single FX board out there runs a 1A LED at full current, especially not a K2 that wants 1500ma. But... they are still bright. :)

With something like 8v (7.4v Li-Ion, effective @8v)... you could probably get @700ma to each LED, and get a good amount of lumens.

Or you could go bonkers and wire up 6AA for the full monty. ;)

Additionally, if you think about it--why would you have all three at max as that would *basically* give you white. One LED would be lit more than another to give you... well, the color you want.

If you want white... just get the Tri-Endor White?

vortextwist
07-21-2007, 04:44 PM
yea,

Hasid Lafre
07-22-2007, 08:54 AM
Well its about time.now that the r g b k2s are on stars tim should be abel to drop the price on them too.

Never mind there the 700 mA versions

And the rebels just looks sweet man I cant wait. will make the tri lux easyer with the rebels now. just need optics.

DACOTA
07-22-2007, 02:22 PM
1 thing,oh my god!Holy cow!As nova said,Saaaannntaaaa Mariiiiaaaahhhh!!!!!
Discuss! All we need are lenses right and we can start on hooking these bad boys into sabers?

acerocket
07-22-2007, 02:54 PM
Npt quite as simple as just throwing an optic on it and blazing a path to Jedi-dom. You still need a way to control the three seperate LEDs with individual dimming capability. It becomes even more difficult if you want to do it and have some effects such as blade shimmer, clash/lock-up, and power up and power down. Personally, I think they are a great product if they move up to the higher output Rebels when the become available and develop optics. I have seen to many times a very cool LED product hit the market and it take a year or so (or never at all) for optics to be developed. You have to think about the end use. I don't really think many people who would be interested in an RGB this small would be looking for spotlight throws. If an optic gets made, it will most likely be a flood optic. If they do come out with a spot optic, I for sure will be getting some.

Novastar
07-22-2007, 04:04 PM
Ace is... as usual... absolutely right!

But, as we are all seeing, there are many new innovations happening. For the record, Erik... I still think your Tri-Lux idea is going to be something people want to get...

BTW... BOP II full video is finally available! :shock:

Onli-Won Kanomi
07-22-2007, 08:03 PM
WOW look at those specs for the WHITE "7007-PWC-10-3"

540 LUMENS @ 700mah :shock:

HALLELUJAH! :D :D :D

With that kind of 'firepower' who needs RGB? - even with colour discs it would still be DARN bright eh? 8)

And wouldnt that be simpler too - no need for separate dimmers/pots?

About "optics" if they are making these as tri-led stars surely they intend to make optics available for them soon or what would be the point?

Also note the name: ENDOR - almost as if someone has saber makers in mind eh?

Dregan
07-23-2007, 06:35 AM
Oh my... I had missed these altogether...

The in-laws wrote me a $100 check for my birthday yesterday. Looks like I know where it's going...

Ace, if you read this, this is almost verbatim what I was thinking of in previous correspondence...

And did anyone else notice that they're calling these the "Endor Moon"?

"7007-RGB-01-3 Endor Moon - Red/Green/Blue"

DACOTA
07-23-2007, 07:40 AM
But I wonder,would the make the tri rebel in three of the same colors?I dont think they could make an optic for just one rebel on the star since in the pic it was off to the side,could they?

Jedi-Loreen
07-23-2007, 04:10 PM
But I wonder,would the make the tri rebel in three of the same colors?I dont think they could make an optic for just one rebel on the star since in the pic it was off to the side,could they?

Because, it would be brighter with 3 LEDs of the same color. :roll: :P

Dregan
07-24-2007, 07:50 AM
Someone email and ask. Or conversely, see if we can get ahold of the star blanks, and reflow solder our own. (E-Z Bake Oven method) That'd be the best thing to do. Then we could make our own color combos (orange/yellow/red, blue/royal blue/green, etc.

Actually, if you look at the stars with single emitters on them, they leave two blank spts ready to fill with whatever color we want. That might actually work perfectly, if you use the white for clash and effect...

All we need now is some optics...

DACOTA
07-24-2007, 08:14 AM

Because, it would be brighter with 3 LEDs of the same color. :roll: :P

That wasnt even an answer to my question.Obviously it would be brighter,what I was asking was, they wouldnt make and optic for just one rebel on the star.But I figured it out,you can just do the rgb style with 3 switches or you could do 3 of the same color,but there would only be one optic.Sorry I guess it was a brain fart earlier.

xwingband
07-27-2007, 06:05 PM
I am not impressed with the Endor... they picked the oddest way to put them on there. They are too far apart.

THUS led-tech.de!

They have PCBs for the Rebel. Serial ones, RGB and singles. Add reflow soldering toaster oven style.

The singles come in 15 and 20mm stars. :) The 15 is great for the 3/4" applications.

If you want to try... GO NOW! Future electronics has most of the top binned colors available. I've already ordered my Green (145 lumens at 700mA with room to push!) and Royal Blues. Next I'm putting in the PCB order. :D

acerocket
07-27-2007, 07:56 PM
Actually, the Endor tri-emitter is about as tight as you can pack the rebels with the optical centers of the LEDs on the same circle. The Led-tech stuff is mighty impressive though. That would be a very tight packaging. You would never be able to find an optic for it, but a special reflector might be a possibility. If anybody can pick those up and do a good job of reflow soldering them, then I would love to pick a couple up.

Novastar
07-28-2007, 12:48 AM
Personally, I think we still have some time to wait before any kind of solid tri-lux solution becomes mainstream, but in the meantime, individual projects will certainly be neat to see!

As a dude who focuses on live staged combat, I am HOPING to have some kind of setup for BOP III that is twice or thrice or four times as bright as your "standard" LED/Luxeon style saber, but it would appear that this might be awfully tough given the size, heat, and battery constraints/requirements.

Then again--you never know what will happen between now and June 2008. ;)

xwingband
07-28-2007, 05:06 AM
They much tighter packed on the led-tech PCB's. I don't see why you couldn't fit it with a reflector... what I'm afraid of for the Endor is the donut effect. :?

I'm going to pick up one of the RGB ones. For certain I'm getting a set of the 15mm stars so I can start putting in those top bins. :D

Hasid Lafre
07-28-2007, 08:13 AM
Agreed. I wouldent use this unless its the the best one out of the bunch.

700mA when they are capable of more to me spending the cash on this tri rebel isent worth it. I will wait and spend the money on the higher current versions.

xwingband
07-28-2007, 12:35 PM
The problem is like previously the Red isn't up to muster. They are matching the lumens to make it so one doesn't over power the other in the grand scheme of things.

I've got to get out my ruler if any of the optics I have can fit about 6.6mm we're in business.

Also... the serial one would give wicked colors. Imagine three Greens at 700mA! 535 lumens with room to push. :shock:

Hasid Lafre
07-28-2007, 03:20 PM
Yes true but only 3 reds is 300. Iam getting tired of the reds being the short end of the stick.

Strydur
07-28-2007, 07:33 PM
We will soon be a retailer of LEDdynamics products. With this comes the option of ordering the k2 stars and endors with any available led's we want.

xwingband
07-28-2007, 07:38 PM
We will soon be a retailer of LEDdynamics products. With this comes the option of ordering the k2 stars and endors with any available led's we want.

Cool, does that mean *pucks are on the way too?

Hasid Lafre
07-28-2007, 07:44 PM
AWSOME!

Strydur
07-28-2007, 11:25 PM
Yes..pucks also. Which versions you want?

xwingband
07-29-2007, 06:17 AM
Micropucks and 1000mA buckpucks probably. The micro's maybe not but with the rebels and the old pro-light RGB I think they'd be useful.

erv
07-29-2007, 11:26 AM
this is going to be my next electronic project. The trilux thing was attractive but I stayed on working on some other things cause that was not small enough to my taste. Now, a tri lux solution that fits in 20 mm, then I'm your man, let's roll for a RGB crystal focus core :wink:
Germany is damn close, I'll get some rebel very soon (all that is a kind of nice logic, I've just subscribed to the Rebel Legion)
Erv'

Novastar
07-29-2007, 05:09 PM
Copy that!

I'm all over helping you if you like Erv. At least test-wise, and with some $$$ backing. Just e-mail me for more... ;)

Dregan
07-30-2007, 08:08 AM

Boo-yah! Outstanding. I hate ording from luxeon.com. They are a PITA.

Thanks Tim!

Darth Lars
08-31-2007, 03:53 PM
Hmm.. I got a silly idea. Do you think the board will still work if I drill these three holes in it? (indicated by the three red dots) 8)
http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b345/DarthLars/drillendor.jpg

DACOTA
08-31-2007, 06:52 PM
:? :shock: WHY?

Novastar
08-31-2007, 07:24 PM
Well, if it suits your needs, it's worth a shot.

The star really acts as a heatsink and a better way to separate the + & - leads. As long as your holes don't somehow violate the (hidden) leads in the PCB construction, you might be able to get away with it.

I'm going to assume you're doing this in order to mount SOME kind of optic solution. If so, you might want to wait just a bit longer, as I'm pretty sure optics are on their way.

neophyl
09-01-2007, 12:45 AM
You can just make out where the tracks run under the silkscreen layer and those drill holes intersect them so I wouldnt drill where you have them marked.

Darth Lars
09-01-2007, 04:16 AM
You can just make out where the tracks run under the silkscreen layer and those drill holes intersect them so I wouldnt drill where you have them marked.
Awww. Too bad. :(

I'm surprised none of you figured out my idea: To take a second Endor module, rotate it 60° and place it behind the drilled one, for six luxeons in one saber! Too bad it won't work, though. Cooling it could have been quite a challenge, also...

Novastar
09-01-2007, 12:47 PM
Awww. Too bad. :(

I'm surprised none of you figured out my idea: To take a second Endor module, rotate it 60° and place it behind the drilled one, for six luxeons in one saber! Too bad it won't work, though. Cooling it could have been quite a challenge, also...Anything is possible, given the right circumstances, but you'd be trying to heatsink near 18v I believe (if all six LEDs were running) and get a very unique setup for optics. It would require quite a few battery cells, the best solution being Li-Ions for space (3.7v x 5 ) and good runtime. Alkaline AAAs could work too, but the pack would be a nightmare of resistance! :) Not to mention that "stacking" PCBs would not allow at least one of the PCBs to cool properly. Also, they might short against each other...

Personally, I thought you were looking for a good way to mount an optic solution in nice and easily!

xwingband
09-01-2007, 01:25 PM
Circles of LEDs are HORRIBLE for optics. Great for flood lighting, but for spot light like we are interested they are really bad.

I have the LED-tech PCB for a RGB and I'm hoping to get that running soon. My first attempts at reflow soldering worked, but weren't very good. I'm looking into getting that better and easier. It should be a much better solution though... at 6.6mm that should fit available optics out there. I have an optic with an 8mm opening so I think it should be ready to go.

LAN-ED-TUL
09-02-2007, 04:19 AM
whats the specifics on say using my ultrasound board with these rebels? will the board run it? how many can it drive? or am i lookin at a non sound type direct drive with resistor setup?

as bright as these are supposed to be, 2 would be pretty darn nice mounted to tims heatsink with a lens and holder that will work with tims existing setup.

2 would be insanely brighter, wouldnt it, than my current red.orange 190 lumen led in my vader saber?

xwingband
09-02-2007, 04:53 AM
Depends on the color. 190 for a Red/O is still not going to be beaten by an RGB or double Rebel setup. Maybe three Red/O Rebels, but like the other LEDs that have come out the Red III's still rule.

For driving them... anything that drives a III will run a Rebel. The only difference is a slight change in forward voltage, but a resistor is never exact anyway.

Marsupial
09-07-2007, 11:58 AM
I think I understand why its called the rebel endor moon luxeon...

apparently, an upcoming FX saber is a "construction set"

in this set, you can select green, red or blue blade. Look at the bottom of this page, I believe the blades are luxeons:

http://simplytoys.blogspot.com/2007/08/preview-master-replicas-sw616-force-fx.html

and you change the blade color with a switch. Therefore, my guess is that they are using the tri-color led in their commercial version of do-it-yourself FX saber...

I'm thinking they must have optics in there.

xwingband
09-07-2007, 01:27 PM
I said it in the other thread too... probably nothing more than a regular "3W" RGB like the pro-light that accept normal optics.

I doesn't look terribly bright, so I doubt it's anything more powerful than a 1W.

Hasid Lafre
09-07-2007, 01:47 PM
If and if it is a tri rebel they dont have optics. I seen pics of the blades and seriouscly Ive seen elblades that look better.

Marsupial
09-07-2007, 06:15 PM
the pics on the site promoting it are very similar to the first luxeon blades we made a few years back. I'd suspect a better blade filter would make a huge difference, but the extension retration effects seams to be very visible.

overall, I think the price is a good compromise with TCSS+erv's board. Cheaper, not as good, ok for some people but not for the adept.

I hope its the luxeon rebel with a new optics. It would mean we have optics available somehow, and a whole new world openning to us.

Hasid Lafre
09-08-2007, 10:11 AM
But i wouldent want to pay for one of them just to rip the optics out of it.

vortextwist
09-08-2007, 10:59 AM
optics, board and led, maybe. 8)

Darth Lars
09-15-2007, 09:03 AM
http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b345/DarthLars/drillendor.jpg
OK, so there are no good optics for the circular Tri-rebel.
Then ... how about drilling a hole in the center, and placing a single LED behind that hole? I'm thinking about a setup like three blue Rebels with a white Luxeon III in the center. Easier to build a heatsink for also, I think.

Novastar
09-15-2007, 03:25 PM
http://www.ledsmagazine.com/press/14995

http://www.polymer-optics.co.uk/products%20LED%20optics%20luxeon.html

Enjoy.

Only a matter of time.

xwingband
09-15-2007, 04:15 PM
Nova... the tri-optic on there is intended for a custom PCB of normal emitters. There is STILL no optics or plans for the Endor, that I've heard of yet.

AGAIN... get the LED-tech PCB. Proof:
http://www.incomsabers.com/images/trirebel.jpg

Ugly as sin, but I have a functioning tri-rebel that can fit some reflectors I have.

Novastar
09-15-2007, 06:24 PM
What do you mean by "normal" emitters?

If you mean to say the rebels without the PCB "metal plate", then it doesn't sound like a problem.

The photo you posted also looks as though anyone could modify some of the current "triad" optics and give it shot. And hey, at least you are trying a reflector.

I know the information is "older", but I don't see any reason why there will not be optics for it in the future. And if not, I suppose it's all about the reflectors.

xwingband
09-15-2007, 06:53 PM
Well, by normal I mean every other luxeon that isn't so piss ant small, lol.

I wouldn't want to mess with the collimnator optics to get this working... they aren't really large enough. I can futz a lot easier with a reflector though.

Strydur
09-15-2007, 10:47 PM
I have a endor and have tested it with a normal optic and holder and it works pretty good. I will finish the saber and show pics as soon as I can find the time.

ti-el_terall
09-15-2007, 11:27 PM
:shock: Sounds sweet Tim!

LAN-ED-TUL
09-16-2007, 12:18 AM
well sounds like Tim got a single rebel setup to work. just need to figure out a 3 rebel lens and holder now.

like X-wing said, possibly a 3 rebel setup would come closer toa red/orange or red L3 in brightness, run less current, easier on heat, etc..

someones got to come up with a setup for that sooon i hope.

Strydur
09-16-2007, 10:26 AM
I am talking about a 3 led setup.

xwingband
09-16-2007, 12:43 PM
I have a endor and have tested it with a normal optic and holder and it works pretty good. I will finish the saber and show pics as soon as I can find the time.

I'm curious to see how well this actually works. You've got to be loosing a lot of the power... the Rebel has a different height it needs. And my PCB just barely fits a normal collimnator... much less with how far the Endors are placed apart.

LAN-ED-TUL
09-16-2007, 02:02 PM
we wait with anticipation then for more info pics of the setup and so forth then Tim.

we all want to see what you discover on this.

DACOTA
09-16-2007, 07:09 PM
Oh boy I'm excited, cant wait to see what comes up,I think I would use a dimmer with my switch,I mean these leds are really bright right,like you cant look at it too long bright, so I would think if my eyes couldnt handle it then there ya go.Sorry for the side thought. :oops:

Dregan
09-19-2007, 07:53 AM

I am talking about a 3 led setup.

Regular, what we think of as 'standard' optics? I had wondered if they'd fit. Do the emitter shrouds (clear plastic over the emitters) actually touch/rub the optic? I'd be afraid of transferrred impact energy damaging the emitter that way.

Also, are you going to start carrying the Endors in oddball configs, like 2 blue/1 white etc?

Hasid Lafre
09-19-2007, 07:55 AM
Currently the endor only comes in rgb and 3 white.

Dregan
09-19-2007, 08:24 AM
Tim had mentioned something about different configurations. And even if they're not available, X-wing's got an alternative.

Hasid Lafre
09-19-2007, 08:35 AM
Where did tim talk of different configs?

Dregan
09-19-2007, 08:38 AM

Here. Page two of this thread. I could be reading this wrong, though.

Tim? Please!

Hasid Lafre
09-19-2007, 08:54 AM
Yeah iam not sure on that one. Tim any insite?

Strydur
09-23-2007, 11:53 PM
As in if you all wanted a Endor with 2 reds and a green I could have them made..that sort of thing.

Dregan
09-24-2007, 05:22 AM
Sweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet!

Can you do one-off's, or do you have minimums?

And most importantly, when can you get them? (I just got the deposit from a BIG raise @ my regular job, I gots a little moolah, and I have this twin saber project idea, and I'd looooooooove me a pair of 3x royal blue's... as well as some other custom stuff I'll email you about.

Strydur
09-24-2007, 08:01 AM
There are minimums but its not too bad if a couple people at least are interested.

Dregan
09-24-2007, 08:18 AM
Depending on pricing, I'm in for at least two, maybe four 3x Royal Blue.

:mrgreen:

Hasid Lafre
09-24-2007, 08:25 AM
Wow thats very awsome. Whats the heatsink size? I imagen its gonna be good sized.

I just hope that ervs board will poweer the thing and not fry the board in the process.

Dregan
09-24-2007, 08:32 AM
I don't believe Erv's board (in current config) will power these correctly. I thought I heard he was working on something to do 3 LED's like a daughterboard to his CF main board, but you'd ask have to ask him. (I hope he does, because I'd love to toss that in a true RGB...)

I'm planning on powering them differently anyway. And there's not going to be sound on my current projects, so it's all good.

The heatsink is really the only thing I'm going to have a challenge with, but I'm sure that between a little Arctic Silver 5 in a few places, not just under the LED and some lapping, Tim's standard heatsink should work just fine.

Hasid Lafre
09-24-2007, 08:34 AM
Well I dont plan on rgb color changing. Just like what tim mentioned, Me want a nice orange.

Maybe a green and 2 reds.

DACOTA
09-24-2007, 07:11 PM
My idea[if possible]is a red[for sith time] a jedi color[whatever your preference is] and white for all the other colors.To me its the ultimate color setup.

Strydur
09-26-2007, 01:42 PM
I finally got the saber finished up. It is a Endor rgb using a standard 10 deg optic mounted to a modified lens holder. It uses 2 1000mA and 1 700mA buckpucks to correctly power the 3 leds. The switchs are potentiometers with built in on/off switchs. It actually works pretty good and I am sure it would be even better with a optic designed for the Endor. The movie was filmed under normal house lighting. It is a pretty big file so you may want to download it to view it.

http://www.thecustomsabershop.com/forum/images/endortrilux.avi

Bescherman
09-26-2007, 02:24 PM
Suddenly I see some SERIOUS fun on the horizon once I've started/completed my first "proper" saber project. Good job Tim!

xwingband
09-26-2007, 02:28 PM
Looks good... A lot is getting lost in the optics though. The blade itself doesn't seem terribly bright considering how short it looks.

I'm going to try to work on my RGB saber this weekend so that I can compare. From what I remember though that has to be losing quite a bit.

DACOTA
09-26-2007, 03:29 PM
Ahh man I cant view it,the player said it doesnt have the right codecs or somthing.

Hasid Lafre
09-26-2007, 04:56 PM
Right click on the link, save target as, then it should open thru windows media player.

But I agree with X it seems that the optics are blocking it or maybe not all the light is comming out of the bladeholder hole.

What do you have powering that thing be be in a hilt that small?

BTW that new neck section looks fricking awsome.

Strydur
09-26-2007, 05:34 PM
Its being powered by a 9v since I didnt have much room. The blade is 36" and has Ultras film in it. I know its not as bright as it could be but its still pretty dang good I think.

Novastar
09-26-2007, 09:54 PM
Nice work Tim... as always, we all have to start somewhere with the foundations to new stuff...

Dregan
09-27-2007, 05:50 AM
Tim - very nice. If you don't mind, (a) what kind of pots are you using, and (b) would you mind stocking them?

I wonder if a 5 or 6 degree optic might help the saber brightness thing. I also have a trick involving painting the underside of the optic that might help improve things. (I've never done it in a saber, I'll post more when I do)

But yeah, nice saber. Very nice. I think I have (yet another...) new project.

DACOTA
09-27-2007, 07:38 AM
Man that vid still wont work,maybe there will be pics?

Dregan
09-27-2007, 09:20 AM
Dacota - go DL the DivX codec. www.divx.com - it's free.

Hasid Lafre
09-27-2007, 10:16 AM
Odd the save target as to the desktop worked on my bros pc but no my moms pc.

Odd

EDIT: try this. go to internet options and set the security level to medum. then sometime soon the WMP will want to update so I will see how it works after that. you may have to update windows media player. BTW divx sucks.

DACOTA
09-27-2007, 01:01 PM
I set it to medium but no luck,oh well.

Hasid Lafre
09-27-2007, 04:23 PM
Maybe you have to update your media player of choice.

ti-el_terall
09-28-2007, 05:29 PM
Try this

http://s45.photobucket.com/albums/f58/Ti-el_Terall/?action=view&current=endortrilux.flv

Dark Helmet
12-26-2007, 10:00 PM
maybe now someone could design a driver to make 2 active, and leave the third for clash/lockup, since all 3 can be wired separately. of course, rgb would look like garbage this way, but white..... the lumens output of the full white rebel endor is insane ! beside, it says ENDOR an REBEL on it...although 9 volts is kind of a bummer.

Clockwork
01-17-2008, 12:31 PM
I have an optic with an 8mm opening so I think it should be ready to go.

Heay Xwing, What kind of Optic do you have with this opening?

xwingband
01-17-2008, 01:07 PM
It's the reflector from the company that sells the pro-light RGB's. It's made to fit over the standard emitter and not just the dome.

The Endor is too far apart to work. The blank I had worked fine, but again the soldering didn't go well enough.

B5813
01-20-2008, 11:01 PM
... and how about that Luxeon Rebel LED that can be mounted onto a solder pad of a Lux star?!? That could have a few uses in a hilt.

Strydur
01-22-2008, 10:51 AM
Endor specific optics are coming soon or so I have been told.

DarthFender
01-22-2008, 12:29 PM

Sweet!

Padding Message: pad pad pad pad pad pad pad

Clockwork
01-22-2008, 01:37 PM

When the Optics come out will TCSS start stocking them as well as the LEDs?

erv
02-13-2008, 08:40 AM
spot me to the endor optic when it's really there, and if it's a good optical solution, I'll work on the driver
Erv'

Marsupial
02-13-2008, 10:34 AM
we've just been waiting for those for over a year.... lol

Obi-Dar Ke-Gnomie
02-15-2008, 10:10 PM
Hey all! I'm pretty excited tonight! I just made a color changing saber.

I found an LED flashlight at Wal-Mart last week that had a 3W RGB diode in it. It had a latching switch to turn it on, and a momentary switch that you used to change through the colors.

I tore it apart, and managed to adapt it to my MHS saber. I'd say that it's actually a little less bright than a Lux III, but it's pretty cool nonetheless. It starts out white when you turn it on, then goes through ten colors as you push the momentary switch. I took pictures, and will post a tutorial and a video when I get the chance.

Novastar
02-16-2008, 05:15 PM
"Oh, capital!" :)

That sounds pretty cool... I'm sure it should be fun!!! Looking fwd to photos and/or video.

Obi-Dar Ke-Gnomie
02-16-2008, 08:02 PM
The video will take some work, but here are some pictures I took:

http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2007-1/1236148/RGB_1.jpg
http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2007-1/1236148/RGB_2.jpg

I'll have the tear-down and re-build pics up soon.

Angelus Lupus
02-17-2008, 06:43 AM
Not the brightest of sabers, but still cool to get all the colour changes.

Obi-Dar Ke-Gnomie
02-17-2008, 12:20 PM
Yeah, I just wanted to see if I could make it work. As soon as I make a video, I'll be putting the K2 back in.

Novastar
02-20-2008, 03:07 PM
It's probably moot now, but... what kind of diffuser?

And after that, I promise not to lead this topic too far astray, heheh

Obi-Dar Ke-Gnomie
02-20-2008, 08:17 PM
I promise not to lead this topic too far astray, heheh

I think we've completely derailed this thread beyond recovery anyway.:)

It's probably moot now, but... what kind of diffuser?

Four wraps of Corbin's film, about 6' of cellophane inside that, and a sanded blade.

tullfan81
02-20-2008, 09:37 PM
What was the model of flashlight, i've looked all around on the walmart site and can only find the Coleman multi color led flashlight. is that the one you bought? I'd love a chance to tinker.

Obi-Dar Ke-Gnomie
02-20-2008, 10:01 PM
Sorry, I meant to start a new thread with the details, but I got sucked into American Idol tonight. I'll put up the full info tomorrow.

It's called a Multi Vision Tactical Flashlight, and it looks like this:

http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2007-1/1236148/101_0561.JPG

fawnheart2000
02-22-2008, 07:10 AM
Yes I second the motion for more info on this flashlight. I checked out my Wally World for anything like this, but no luck. Please give out any info on this, thanks.

jpbeck
02-22-2008, 08:58 AM
lol-- tactical flashlight? now why would a tactical flashlight need pink?

erv
02-22-2008, 09:05 AM
you don't understand : it's part of the tactic (it's top secret strategy level 5)... Just like the "hello kitty vader" project, but tchhhhhh.... the empire would like to keep that under the table after they failed with the death star.

Yeah : "Embrace the Pink Side of the Force" :mrgreen:

Erv'

Novastar
03-02-2008, 05:42 PM
Don't forget about the "Rainbow Bright" side of the Force. ;)

Personally, I'm looking to make a "HE-MAN" saber soon enough. Oh, yes, that's right... Skeletor beware. It'll make a wacky sound font, huh.

BlackDOG
03-07-2008, 01:09 AM
I have actually built a PINK saber........"Why?" you might ask....

It was for my daughter and it turned out pretty dang cool. She really digs it and I guarantee she is the only girl in kindergarten in NC with a custom saber.

WOO HOOOO for pink and GIRLS.

BTW I have a buddy who wants a plaid saber......any takers on how to do that one? LOL

BD

grayven
03-07-2008, 01:25 PM
Me too. My daughter has a pink and White hilt with a pink blade. I call her pinky-tuskan Raider. This is what happens when you grew up on Happy Days for those of you who know what that was.

Novastar
03-07-2008, 06:19 PM
hahahahahahhah!

"Yo, misssus C! Showing some of your darkside, today, eh?"

Onli-Won Kanomi
03-07-2008, 11:36 PM
Me too. My daughter has a pink and White hilt with a pink blade. I call her pinky-tuskan Raider. This is what happens when you grew up on Happy Days for those of you who know what that was.

Wasnt Pinky Tuscadero around when Happy Days 'jumped the shark' [literally, by Fonzi, creating a new phrase in the process lol].

After seeing how nice the light pink filter looks on an 'adegan silver' Ultra stunt I think a white hilt and pink blade could work well as a combination and I've been thinking of doing just that for a gift saber for my sister so its nice to see others have had those be well received by members of the fairer ***.

As for making a 'plaidsaber' I've seen plaid gift wrapping paper that is thin enough you can see your hand through...maybe one could line the inside of a PolyC blade with several layers of it it the way you would with a diffuser film? But I'm not sure if that would be safe from catching fire :-( so maybe a semitranslucent plaid mylar gift wrap if you could find it...I've seen plaid mylar wrap before but it was opaque.

Marsupial
03-09-2008, 08:50 PM
I have actually built a PINK saber........"Why?" you might ask....

It was for my daughter and it turned out pretty dang cool. She really digs it and I guarantee she is the only girl in kindergarten in NC with a custom saber.

WOO HOOOO for pink and GIRLS.

BTW I have a buddy who wants a plaid saber......any takers on how to do that one? LOL

BD

:)

I'm looking at making a pink small sized saber for my 2 years old daughter. She really loves playing with my saber. She knows how to power it, and hits the blade to hear the clash and see the flash. (I think she's just copying me, but she loves the brightness of the sabers)

I have a nice girlie pink lee filter reserved for just that purpose, and will have to get her a nice jedi-looking outfit... maybe in barbie pink ;)

thejedilestat
03-09-2008, 09:09 PM

Vader step into my offace

my daughter wants a red Lightsaber no pink... no not girly and i wanna keep it that way

now should i go red or orange red?

Marsupial i think the barbie pink would make a killer padawan costume... dont forget to use a pink padawan braid

BlackDOG
03-12-2008, 12:35 PM
Wasnt Pinky Tuscadero around when Happy Days 'jumped the shark' [literally, by Fonzi, creating a new phrase in the process lol].

YEP and she was named after a town the producer was travelling through..

[/QUOTE]As for making a 'plaidsaber' I've seen plaid gift wrapping paper that is thin enough you can see your hand through...maybe one could line the inside of a PolyC blade with several layers of it it the way you would with a diffuser film? But I'm not sure if that would be safe from catching fire :-( so maybe a semitranslucent plaid mylar gift wrap if you could find it...I've seen plaid mylar wrap before but it was opaque. [/QUOTE]

I had the exact same thought of the plaid mylar.......SCARY.

grayven
03-13-2008, 06:27 PM
This might be the place to put this. Here is the Rebel RGB in my new Mace DIY kit. I had Todd not mount the LED and use the RGB rebel. I power the Red and Blue together from the Mace board. It's Purple and it's bright.
Hers a link.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eUpPx2VLhr4

Obi-Dar Ke-Gnomie
03-13-2008, 07:43 PM
Looks good. Nice purple there.

I'd love to try tinkering with one of these LEDs. What did you use for optics?

xwingband
03-13-2008, 08:17 PM
He said elsewhere that he used a drilled out reflector.

You can use the standard lens though. The issue is that the Rebel likes a certain height to focus that is different from the other Luxeons. Like I use this:

http://www.led-tech.de/en/High-Power-Supply/Carclo-Optics/Carclo-Lense-Holder-for-Rebel-LT-1158_106_61.html

It is like 1/16" shorter but it makes a world of a difference.

Obi-Dar Ke-Gnomie
03-13-2008, 08:53 PM
Oh, very good! I seem to have missed that. Earlier in this thread, people were saying that optics were coming, but not available yet. I guess they're ready now. Thanks for posting the link.

Oh, the possibilities...

Edit to ask: Tim, will you ever be selling these here?

Strydur
03-13-2008, 09:14 PM
Optics are coming for the endors..optics have been out for single rebels for months.

Obi-Dar Ke-Gnomie
03-13-2008, 09:27 PM
OK, someone smack me for double posting...;)

If you all remember, I made a cool but not very bright color changing saber with the guts from an RGB flashlight. What I want to know is, if I can use the driver from that flashlight to power a Rebel. I'm sure others would like to know too.

I guess the biggest question is how much amperage is the driver able to put out. What's the best way to figure this out? I tried it with my cheapie Radio Shack meter, (which only reads up to 500mA for some reason), and it blew the fuse in the meter. I'm guessing that means that the driver is giving the LED more than 500mA, but how do I know how much? (And don't just tell me to buy a better meter. :D)

Obi-Dar Ke-Gnomie
03-13-2008, 09:32 PM
Now I'm triple posting...

Optics are coming for the endors..optics have been out for single rebels for months.

Silly question... What would happen if you used a regular lens, and modified a lens holder to sit across the three emitters? Would the effect be that bad? Has anyone tried it?

Just playing devil's advocate.

Novastar
03-13-2008, 10:53 PM
Obi... re: your optics question...

Well, I haven't tried it, but I can tell you--it wouldn't work. At best, you'd have to do SOME kind of reflecting inside there, aim it INTO the "single" lens in the center, and pray the result was not SOOOO much loss that it didn't really matter.

Ultimately, all three LEDs really do have to be focused in a logical way, or so much "light loss" occurs, it becomes irrelevant.

If anyone notices, when you see optics and specifications, they usually will say something like "85% efficiency" or something akin to that. This also is talking about JUST focusing the LED's light... not then shoving it into a metal hilt, dropping a polycarbonate blade over it, and oops did I forget the diffuser... :)

So, in other words... if you're already starting with 85% of Luxeon's light (due to the 5 deg or 10 deg optics or whatever)... and we're only talking a "normal" Luxeon III or K2 or whatever for now... and THEN you've got the tube... and THEN the diffuser... to be honest, I seriously doubt we're at the same "lumens" we all love to throw back and forth with one another (since we lose efficiency with every step--by nature, not by "fault")!

Then, if we talk about using a SINGLE lens/optic solution for a triad LED setup (like the Rebel RGB or white or whatever)... I can only imagine what happens since none of the LEDs are centrally located. A lot of light would be goin' bye-bye with a central lens (meant for a single LED)... even WITH reflector-like material to deflect and refract light from the LEDs up into the central area, up into the blade.

Personally, I say--wait a few more months(?) for the Rebel optics? Uh, the TRIAD ones. As Tim said, the single ones are out there... :)

erv
03-14-2008, 05:32 AM
ok folks, got my RGB rebel assembled with the hot air station in less than 5 minutes.
I totally forgot that I bought all those things like 1 year ago. I'm not back to the drawing table, CF V4 with RGB (read R OR G OR B) setup and I'm going to test also 2 rebels in // with my board

news very soon
Erv'

Obi-Dar Ke-Gnomie
03-14-2008, 10:11 AM
Novastar, thanks for the info. That was well explained.

For saber purposes, I'll wait until the optics come out. Just for fun though, I'd still like to get one to play with.

erv
03-15-2008, 10:59 AM
CF V4 roadmap part I is there !
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2hhloMNZvUM

It also demonstrates the white clash flash (on my bench only, not in a saber) and the possibility to have 2 rebel of a certain color + the white flash on a endor (interesting proposal from corbin), that's why I'm posting here

*can't wait for those endor optics !*

Erv'

Obi-Dar Ke-Gnomie
03-15-2008, 11:17 AM
Fantastic!

I can't wait for those optics either!

Marsupial
03-15-2008, 06:01 PM
Erv, will you be able to supply hot aired tri-rebel stars with V4s? Sadly, not everyone will be able to make their custom tri-rebels.

I'm wondering if instead of a white flash another colour could be a nice option. For instance, green saber with orange flash, or something. I know the colours will combine and the flash will be somehow white anyway, it will most likely give a different effect.

(just brainstorming)

erv
03-16-2008, 01:30 AM
second person to ask me about custom rebels... for the moment it's "no", but if I get a massive email... who knows ? :mrgreen: ;)
it will depends on the optics ! Also, I as said in various places, I'm trying to stop selling parts cause I can't really get good deals on luxeon in europe with the sales volume I have. Again, I need more time for electronic boards, so I can't really use my time retailing commercial parts or making too much custom.

BUT...
(there's always "but" with me)

- there are always exceptions
- I'm sure TCSS will end up proposing tri rebels & custom tri rebels (if optic follows)
- I'll post soon a tutorial to show how to make solder a tri rebel PCB without a hot air station.

Erv'

Novastar
03-16-2008, 02:23 AM
That is incredible Erv... man, I am always AMAZED at how much work you're always doing!

Me... I'm getting LAZY (in comparison) these days, hahahah!

Hasid Lafre
03-16-2008, 03:10 AM
A while back when tim was doing some discussions about the tri rebel and He mentioned that it would be a while till he can sell the rebels but he could ge tthem in any color led configuration.

Wish i could remember the topic....I think it was his rgb saber topic.

erv
03-16-2008, 05:24 AM
RGB experiment #1 : red + blue in serie, with a green clash flash

I'm going to say it twice, so that it's clear for everybody : you can't get a Red + blue LED in parallel because they don't have the same forward voltage. The only solution would be to add a resistor to the red to compensate, but it leads to an awful power ratio. Since the red has a low forward voltage compared to the blue, it does not lead to a huge overall supply voltage, 2.9 + 3.7 = 6.6 v, plus the losses of the luxeon driver and wires => it starts regulating the voltage around 7V, which make possible to use it with a 2 cell li-ion battery pack, just like a luxeon V.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j8QtO-cG9as

Enjoy !!!

Erv'

Hasid Lafre
03-16-2008, 05:58 AM
Grayven on fx sabers wired the pos leeds on the red and blue togeather on his mr board.

http://www.fx-sabers.com/forum/index.php?topic=11579.0

Onli-Won Kanomi
03-16-2008, 07:27 AM
Erv the WHITE 540 lumen tri-rebel endors would have the same forward voltage for each led emitter so could THOSE be wired in parallel to a CF? all whites thus no colour mixing so all on one circuit channel no multi channels [that arent in the roadmap] and no potentiometers required..what do I not understand why that wouldnt work [once optics become available] and just use filters to get colours?

Hasid Lafre
03-16-2008, 07:41 AM
With these new forums you can delete your post any time.

As for the tri white that would be awsome. 500+ lumens with a filter would be intresting.May have to use a colored filter roll(with some type of poly P film inside it), I think the lumens would be to much for a disk.

xwingband
03-16-2008, 07:42 AM
Actually it'd be three. I'm away from the main computer and I was going to shoot off an e-mail later. My attempts at soldering them failed miserably... maybe it's my technique or equipment.

second person to ask me about custom rebels... for the moment it's "no", but if I get a massive email... who knows ? :mrgreen: ;)
it will depends on the optics ! Also, I as said in various places, I'm trying to stop selling parts cause I can't really get good deals on luxeon in europe with the sales volume I have. Again, I need more time for electronic boards, so I can't really use my time retailing commercial parts or making too much custom.

BUT...
(there's always "but" with me)

- there are always exceptions
- I'm sure TCSS will end up proposing tri rebels & custom tri rebels (if optic follows)
- I'll post soon a tutorial to show how to make solder a tri rebel PCB without a hot air station.

Erv'

xwingband
03-16-2008, 07:47 AM
That's only @700mA... in parallel each would get 500mA max, probably less. At that level it's not going to be a significant boost over other LEDs like the K2 w/TFCC which is the same driving level.

Erv the WHITE 540 lumen tri-rebel endors would have the same forward voltage for each led emitter so could THOSE be wired in parallel to a CF? all whites thus no colour mixing so all on one circuit channel no multi channels [that arent in the roadmap] and no potentiometers required..what do I not understand why that wouldnt work [once optics become available] and just use filters to get colours?

grayven
03-16-2008, 09:15 AM
I'll post soon a tutorial to show how to make solder a tri rebel PCB without a hot air station.

This will be the most watched youtube ever. I know I'll be good for about 1000 views.

Can't wait Thanks erv.

Grayven on fx sabers wired the pos leeds on the red and blue togeather on his mr board.

Yes my purple Mace is a RGB with the RB wired in parallel and it's a beautiful purple. But I did this with a MR board not a CF. Which makes a big difference I think in the way the LED is powered. Someone correct me if I’m wrong please.

Thanks
Grayven

erv
03-16-2008, 10:00 AM
xwing is right, the max current of the driver is 1.5 A. Power 3 rebel in // (or lux III or whatever), you won't have more than 500 mA each. Again this will work only with identical forward voltage LEDs (means that if you have a similar Vf for a blue and green and white, that could work).

but then, yeah : 500 mA each isn't 700 mA each, an the lumen gain is not so obvious compared to a lux V or overdriven K2...

xwing : to solder the rebel, the keys are :
- a soldering iron with a reasonnable fine soldering tip
- soldering paste

hope to be able to shoot a tutorial video soon. As soon as I get my 2 green rebel to make the 2 green + white flash PCB.

Erv'

Malaki Skywalker
03-16-2008, 10:07 AM
Would there still be a decent Lumen with just 2 green Rebels and a white for the clash?

erv
03-16-2008, 10:25 AM
it will depend if a descent optic finally comes out !
for now, I think we shouldn't speculate on lumens until we have an optic
my point is only to demonstrate what is possible for driving multiple LEDs, I just wish to have features ready for when the optical system will be there
Erv'

xwingband
03-16-2008, 01:44 PM
xwing : to solder the rebel, the keys are :
- a soldering iron with a reasonnable fine soldering tip
- soldering paste

Erv'

I guess I need to buckle down and get the good paste then... the good stuff is a pain. Expensive shipping, refrigerate, etc...

erv
03-16-2008, 02:11 PM
sure, if you tried with toothpaste, it won't work :mrgreen: just kidding !
I got my my soldering paste from dealextreme, $3.5 and free shipping... Not really a long term investment.
http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.4711

travelled safe, you just have to store it in your fridge, in a separate ziplock bag. I use a filed needle to apply the paste.

xwingband
03-16-2008, 02:15 PM
Cool, never saw it that small before. Probably because I was looking through larger electronics suppliers.

Onli-Won Kanomi
03-16-2008, 06:53 PM
Thanks Erv and XWing I appreciate the chance to learn from you and your patience with my questions

Marsupial
03-16-2008, 09:14 PM
Erv, I use liquid flux for SMD soldering - you know, the stuff that comes in a marker-like pen?
I don't care much for soldering paste; I always make a mess with it. :(

Would I be able to solder the rebels with that?

erv
03-16-2008, 10:52 PM
xwing : yes, sold anywhere, count about $40 for a little seryngee. Here, you have 50g I think. Ok, no dispenser or system to apply the paste, but it's easy to use a piece of hard wire so

marsu: usually,the marker-like pens are providing only the flux. It's usefull to improve the way the soldering will "wet" on the surface when heating and melting. However, for rebel LED, like for some smd parts in QFN package, the problem is that the soldering pads are under the LED, and since you have soldering pads on top and on the bottom areas of the luxeon, if you pre tin the PCB, you'll have to soldering all of them in one operation, or to solder one zone, quickly move the other while pressing with a thin tweezer and hope you have the thing quite flat at the end.

Soldering paste pros :
- has the flux inside, mixed with the metallic paste
- it's a really thin mixture, and a paste, you can press the part and only the necessary qty of paste will remain under
- you can put the paste in a quite non accurate way. The rebel PCB, like most of the PCBs has a solder stop mask. When heating up, anything that isn't metal is flushing away the solder, which is attracted by capilarity to the metallic pads. This way you never have short circuits. And if you press a bit the part when soldering it : extra soldering will "spurt" from the edges of the rebel and will make a little ball that you remove with a sharp knife.
- you nee

Marsupial
03-17-2008, 10:19 AM
so far I've been doing a good job of keeping away from QFN and other types of components I'm not used to, keeping with DIP, SOIC and TSSOP... but I'm always willing to try new stuff :)

I don't think that paste is what I had tried before. It was flux paste and I had a hard time using it, thus using liquid flux instead. But at the price on dealextrem, I'm more then willing to try it, particularly if you're telling me it works for you.

Thanks a lot for the method description.

Strydur
03-17-2008, 07:58 PM
Answering a couple questions from this thread...

We can get and will offer the endors in any color combination people want.

The optics are being manufactured as we speak and should be available within a month.

Silly question... What would happen if you used a regular lens, and modified a lens holder to sit across the three emitters? Would the effect be that bad? Has anyone tried it?

I have used a regular optic and holder for a rgb endor saber which is shown earlier in this thread.

grayven
03-17-2008, 08:15 PM
We can get and will offer the endors in any color combination people want.

You the MAN! I'll be waiting for that in store update.

Grayven

Marsupial
03-17-2008, 08:20 PM
Tim, that's great news! (both the led and optics are great news!)

Sethski
03-17-2008, 08:35 PM
Awesome news about the tri-rebel and optics and lots of other helpful and interesting info here as well. Cheers guys!

LeMoel
03-17-2008, 10:53 PM
When it comes to optics with the tri rebels i've experimented with alot the the white triple luxeons and I always just use the 5 degree optics from tims store and it works good, i think 5 degree wouldfair a tad better then 10

Onli-Won Kanomi
03-17-2008, 11:25 PM
Fantastic news thank you Strydur!!!

I think orange might be two reds and one green but please correct me if i'm wrong and I'm not sure about what would make a better purple...two reds and one blue or two blues and one red?

Novastar
03-18-2008, 02:58 AM
Onli... ok, I'm obviously not Tim, but--yeah, that's a really good point about the whole 2bl + 1r being .... ???, etc.

Here I think it would take quite a bit of experimentation real-time, since we all must remember: the lumens of color X vs. color Y are rarely "equal". In particular... blue vs. red. Red pretty much would just punch blue in the face like an MMA fighter on saberdrugs.

Soooo... it's any question how the whole "mad scientist mixture" will work best given any specified/requested color... but...

...maybe we see a future additional TCSS chart that can be constructed by the members via testing? Something akin to:

(Luxeon Rebel only for right now, let's say)

Bin (?) R @ xxxx lumens, yyyy volts ---\
Bin (?) R @ xxxx lumens, yyyy volts .....--- = Yellow-ish red
Bin (?) G @ xxxx lumens, yyyy volts ---/

or...

Bin (?) B @ xxxx lumens, yyyy volts ---\
Bin (?) G @ xxxx lumens, yyyy volts .....--- = Really nice deep teal!
Bin (?) B @ xxxx lumens, yyyy volts ---/

...or maybe it would be a G, G, B or even a more "standard" RGB or something. Whatever.

I guess sort of like a "LED Saber Spellbook" or something, hahahah. Recipe for disaster? Recipe for lightning bolt O' Crystal Focus? ;)

At any rate, a THRONG of work--but pretty cool in the future for the whole saber crowd! Great thinking, Onli!!!

LeMoel
03-18-2008, 04:23 AM
Hey guys i have a major question about the RGB endor led, i'm wanting to try to make a purple , but i was just wonderind about a couple things? I think alot of people would like these questions answered

1) say i am going to use blue and red off the RGB led(endor) do it need seperate driver(buck puck) for both leds or just one puck for both?

2) How do you play around with the RGB colors to get all the other colors, do you need a chip or controller to dimm to make the different colors?or wat?

3) and is there any other drivers or relays or like a parrell to drive then together?

Thanks.. Please answer

Strydur
03-18-2008, 09:01 AM
I used 3 buckpucks with 3 potentiometers that have built in switchs.

Obi-Dar Ke-Gnomie
03-18-2008, 02:07 PM
I used 3 buckpucks with 3 potentiometers that have built in switchs.

Will you be selling that stuff too?

Onli-Won Kanomi
03-18-2008, 04:17 PM
Onli... ok, I'm obviously not Tim, but--yeah, that's a really good point about the whole 2bl + 1r being .... ???, etc.

Here I think it would take quite a bit of experimentation real-time, since we all must remember: the lumens of color X vs. color Y are rarely "equal". In particular... blue vs. red. Red pretty much would just punch blue in the face like an MMA fighter on saberdrugs.

Soooo... it's any question how the whole "mad scientist mixture" will work best given any specified/requested color... but...

...maybe we see a future additional TCSS chart that can be constructed by the members via testing? Something akin to:

(Luxeon Rebel only for right now, let's say)

Bin (?) R @ xxxx lumens, yyyy volts ---\
Bin (?) R @ xxxx lumens, yyyy volts .....--- = Yellow-ish red
Bin (?) G @ xxxx lumens, yyyy volts ---/

or...

Bin (?) B @ xxxx lumens, yyyy volts ---\
Bin (?) G @ xxxx lumens, yyyy volts .....--- = Really nice deep teal!
Bin (?) B @ xxxx lumens, yyyy volts ---/

...or maybe it would be a G, G, B or even a more "standard" RGB or something. Whatever.

I guess sort of like a "LED Saber Spellbook" or something, hahahah. Recipe for disaster? Recipe for lightning bolt O' Crystal Focus? ;)

At any rate, a THRONG of work--but pretty cool in the future for the whole saber crowd! Great thinking, Onli!!!

Thanks Novastar I think your "spell" chart [hmmm isnt that another 'franchise' ;-)] is a brilliant idea too and yeah we definitely should have a thread where we can report those results for everyones benefits once the Endors become available here and as results come in make a chart for them.

I've been thinking more about orange which I admit is a particular interest of mine [my username on other non-SW boards is "Fyre"] and if I understand RGB correctly [which I may not and stand to be corrected] orange is Red 255 Green 128 Blue 0 or RGB 225/128/0 therefore the red is twice the green [?]...which makes me think that if one was using an RGB Endor with pots to get get orange then one would want to dial red all the way up and the green to half power? Which is making me think if one used two reds and one green then one would have the 2:1 red to green ratio with no blue required for a good orange but at the FULL 3-LED brightness potential of an Endor rather than 1.5 LED 'half power'???

Does that make any sense?

If it works out that way and Tim offers custom combinations I suspect that might be a popular one with those of us looking for a good bright orange...I'll certainly want to try that combination out to see what results it gives.

For similar reasoning I'm thinking that there should be a combination of red and blue custom endor that would be brighter than a RGB with the green turned all the way off and the red and blue mixed to whatever levels...it would be interesting to get a red/red/blue and a red/blue/blue if offered and see which works better with all of them maxed but I may not have the $$ in my saber budget to try that right away if Overlord 'drops' around then so I'll also look forward to finding out from others which is the best purple combination because I'd love a great bright purple almost as much as a great bright orange.

Bright custom-endor orange and custom-endor purple sabers for Jar Kai dual wielding; yeah baby!

LeMoel
03-19-2008, 05:20 AM
Hey would this acrylic spot lens work for the RGB led? or would it just screw it up?

L2 6° Spot Diffuser Sub-Lens For Luxeon K2 LEDs
http://www.electronics-supply.com/admin/images/opk2-1-dif6-l.jpg

LeMoel
03-20-2008, 05:19 AM
or this?

Polymer Triple Color Mixer for Rebel
useable with Luxeon Rebel

http://www.led-tech.de/images/products/resized/LT-1135-1189073920.jpg

xwingband
03-20-2008, 07:20 AM
or this?

Polymer Triple Color Mixer for Rebel
useable with Luxeon Rebel

http://www.led-tech.de/images/products/resized/LT-1135-1189073920.jpg

Those optics are for their own special PCB's, not the "endor".

http://www.led-tech.de/de/High-Power-LEDs-Luxeon/Luxeon-REBEL/30mm-Platine-fuer-Luxeon-Rebel-LT-1181_49_85.html

LeMoel
03-20-2008, 08:02 PM
Yeah but cant you just power three seperate rebels together ?

Another thing i dont understand is why is graven's RGB endor so much brighter than Tim's endor?

optics? more power with a sound board? the force haha jk

xwingband
03-20-2008, 09:52 PM
Given that they are different cameras there is no basis to say one is brighter than the other...

It's certainly not the driving though. The optics were different though. Grayven hacked together a reflector where Tim used the standard ones (I think).

erv
03-22-2008, 05:11 AM
tested an RGB endor in serie @ 750 mA. Works fine with crystal focus. Totally non interesting way to produce bright white, but I'm still waiting for other colors to build a second tri-rebel

now, facts :
- the board resist up to 12.5V. Above that the main regulator starts putting ripple on the 3.3V that powers the core, and the motion sensor starts measuring silly swings. It does not fry at 13V.

- 3 x 3.6v li-ion cell fully charged start at 12.6 V. It does work with CF without burning anything.

- making a tri-rebel or the same color is possible too. It's just a matter of luxeon forward voltage. For 3 red, it's about 2.9x3 = 8.7V, so 3 cells will work and regulate current.
For blue, white, green etc : 3.7 x 3 = 11.1v. Exact voltage of the pack + losses, you don't get the 700 mA in the loop, you don't get full power.
For those colors, it's probably better to have 3 in // at 1.5 A => 500 mA each. Brightness regulated but rebel won't eat the max they can handle.

this of course according to the fact we end with nice optics.

So, again, my board provides the technology until a certain point. One thing is sure, I won't make a board with a big regulator as big as a tree "just" to handle 24V so that a ledengine LED can be powered : you won't be able to have a 10W thingie close to a 3.3V electronic. Finding 24 V / 1A power supply solution is also an issue.

Now, back to something more "rgb" : I'm going to test this afternoon the RGB selector.

RGB setup fully working with an additionnal parameter in the SD card :
- no RGB - blinking / sequenced LEDs are enabled
- RGB 1 : use blinking LED1 to activate a power xtender board to select on of the LED of the RGB setup
same folr RGB 2 and 3

the système uses only 3 little power xtender boards and 8 wires : common luxeon + (common anode), common luxeon (-), 3 wires to the luxeon, 3 wires from the board to remote control the power xtender

Erv'

LeMoel
03-22-2008, 07:26 AM
oh ok different camera and such i get it thanks xwing... but i need your eyes for something xwing,

does it look to you that graven actually used an ultra blade and not a do clo wich is ervs style with poly p and corbin film> cuz it looks like an ultra to me but since you have alot of experience with ervs style i thought could tell a bit better?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eUpPx2VLhr4

Angelus Lupus
03-22-2008, 08:23 AM
RGB setup fully working with an additionnal parameter in the SD card :
- no RGB - blinking / sequenced LEDs are enabled
- RGB 1 : use blinking LED1 to activate a power xtender board to select on of the LED of the RGB setup
same folr RGB 2 and 3

the système uses only 3 little power xtender boards and 8 wires : common luxeon + (common anode), common luxeon (-), 3 wires to the luxeon, 3 wires from the board to remote control the power xtender

Erv'
That sounds great, erv! So if I read that right it means you can have:

All 3 LEDs on if the Vf are equal for extra bright
Red OR Green OR Blue for RGB, for 1 on at a time

So it's not currently possible to have mixing of the RGB, say, R and B on at the same time? Even if not it's great work.

LeMoel
03-28-2008, 04:58 PM
I just got my RGB led in today and tested it out using 5 degree optics from tims store and xwing is right were losing alot in the optics

since the optics are not out right now I think the next test should be with a reflector like graven used

I ordered one I will test it when it comes in and if its good results then ill post them but ill let you know none the less

DACOTA
03-28-2008, 07:22 PM
Ya know I think we should go with reflectors. I dont know the difference in current output between the mr fx luke board and the mr fx maul board but I put an ultrasaber conversion kit in my friends luke fx and those kits use reflectors and I'll tell ya its way brighter than the lux lll on my maul board. Of course both sabers are running on a different setups but I still think the reflector is the major contributer.

LeMoel
03-28-2008, 07:51 PM
OH SO youve tryed the reflector? yeah i think it will be the main contributor, im almost thinking that it might be better or comparable to the 5 degree lens optics

xwingband
03-28-2008, 10:10 PM
On an ideal setup I don't think the optics matter. Especially with a proper blade. I've tried both and I don't bother if I can't fit the reflector.

A lens is 90% effective as is...

LeMoel, to correct it's not the fact that it is a lens. IT's that the standard lenses are made for III's. A Rebel holder is shorter by like 2mm or so.

LeMoel
03-29-2008, 02:46 AM
would the single luxeon rebel optics work from led tech?

http://www.led-tech.de/images/products/resized/LT-1089-1183043386.jpg

Cuz i ordered two of these optics for the two rebels on pcbs i ordered but do you think it would work for the RGB LED xwing?

or no?

erv
03-29-2008, 03:32 AM
a combo of 3 of those are too big for an endor 20mm star PCB. However, since it will be individual optics for individual LEDs it will work better than an inappropriate optic used for a groupd of LED.
I think this sort of optic was used for the trilux project. However, since the source is even more "not ponctual" compared to the endor, the light is less focused in the blade and a lof of it is lost.

Malaki Skywalker
04-02-2008, 12:58 PM
How big are the normal optics? Cuz i found this:

http://www.led-tech.de/en/High-Power-Supply/Polymer-Optics/Polymer-Triple-Color-Mixer-for-Rebel-LT-1135_106_108.html

:cool: Oh and new optics for Rebels, they can use the optics from the store now :D

http://www.led-tech.de/en/High-Power-Supply/Carclo-Optics/Carclo-Lense-Holder-for-Rebel-LT-1158_106_107.html

CybKnight
04-02-2008, 01:46 PM
How big are the normal optics? Cuz i found this:

http://www.led-tech.de/en/High-Power-Supply/Polymer-Optics/Polymer-Triple-Color-Mixer-for-Rebel-LT-1135_106_108.html

:cool: Oh and new optics for Rebels, they can use the optics from the store now :D

http://www.led-tech.de/en/High-Power-Supply/Carclo-Optics/Carclo-Lense-Holder-for-Rebel-LT-1158_106_107.html

You are sure those are for tri-lux and not single ones?

Malaki Skywalker
04-02-2008, 02:03 PM
You are sure those are for tri-lux and not single ones?

The top one is the tri-lux

xwingband
04-02-2008, 02:27 PM
Jeez, people... this isn't rocket science.

The top link is for an RGB Rebel, but not the endor. It's for LED-tech's special 30mm PCB board.

The bottom link is the holder for the optics we normally use. It's not new... I've used them for a while now (months). It's for a single. If I had to hack optics for the Endor I'd use this one because it has the correct height... so if you needed to put it in an MHS you'd need to put a spacer of sorts to have it not rattle (I use a c-clip).

Malaki Skywalker
04-03-2008, 01:49 AM

The top link is for an RGB Rebel, but not the endor. It's for LED-tech's special 30mm PCB board.

The bottom link is the holder for the optics we normally use. It's not new... I've used them for a while now (months). It's for a single. If I had to hack optics for the Endor I'd use this one because it has the correct height... so if you needed to put it in an MHS you'd need to put a spacer of sorts to have it not rattle (I use a c-clip).

Oh..................... I need to get on that site more often! :oops:

Ghostbat
04-03-2008, 09:51 AM

"This isn't rocket science Smithers, it's brain surgery!"

erv
04-05-2008, 09:52 AM
Hi folks,
back from some testing... but without any good news.
I received my 2 green rebels about 2 weeks ago and mounted them on a second endor PCB with a white one (clash flash).

Just to clear the myth (the mist ?) :

- Forget about the reflectors. Stated by xwing above, I'm like St Thomas, I like to check by myself, no that I don't trust him, but more to increase my personal knowelge. Brightness in the blade is worst than a classic blade of the early days (corbin film with no additional optic guide film). Big hole of brightness on about 1/3 rd or 1/2 of the blade.
The reflector has an optic grade reflective coating and a parabolic shape, all the requested features for a good reflector. It's just that... the source isn't centered

- tested a lux III optic for fun, same result.

- tested 2 additionnal optics I found. They have a hole on the lens bigger than a normal luxeon, hence the 3 rebel optics fit in. Of course, it's not an adapted optic, but since the sources fit in the hole, it was really close to the focal point. But again, not in place. Better brightness but... probably less than a lux III at 750mA while we have 2 rebels at 750 mA in // suppose to produce at least 200 lumens or so.

So, unless you want to test concrete solution (like I did, I *buy* things to test them), wait for real ENDOR optics, if they come out one day...

Erv'

Novastar
04-05-2008, 05:15 PM
Thanks Erv... this testing you've done is soooooo nice for everyone--especially with you sharing the results...

But sure, it's not surprising. I mean, trying to get a "tight beam" with one LED is tough enough... but now without the LEDs located centrally... it creates an entirely NEW conundrum of hell & highwater.

Still... challenges are just that... challenging! I'm certain that efficient optics WILL come out... only question is... when and how.

I, for one, think the optics are going to need to become FAR more complex. Quite literally a "triad" of focal lens that sort of "feed" into a final central lens, which may need to be a mixture of convex AND concave... while also being "taller" or take up more room so-to-speak... contain reflective materials in certain places whereas others would clearly be... well... CLEAR/transparent... ...

...and most certainly--they would almost specifically have to start being almost MADE for "sabers" specifically.

This will create even more problems/challenges:

* Current optics were never "meant for sabers"... they just happen to work for our purposes from the LED industry's endeavors!
* If an optic IS specifically made for these kinds of props... the price could easily double or triple...
* What with the way LFL is going with the last "FX" saber we saw (Luxeon-ish style)... if the optic is somehow made in collusion with or FOR LFL... you may need to buy "saber X" in order to make your own "saber Y".

The last one is a fairly obvious but legitimate concern. After all... does ANYONE think that Luxeon "Rebel Endors" are simply a COINCIDENCE? If so... you need to get your head checked, heheh ;)

Myself, I would not be surprised at all if the optics will be fashioned only for any new LFL props that may accommodate the Rebel Endor triads. AFter that, it may be a matter of reverse engineering, or... who knows.

DACOTA
04-06-2008, 12:27 PM
Sounds interesting. I dont come to this topic a whole lot so I'm kinda of lost but, I see that basically were still striving for a good tri led star setup.

Marsupial
04-08-2008, 08:15 AM
I'm not exactly surprised, but thanks a lot Erv to debunk the idea...

LeMoel
07-05-2008, 01:34 AM
hey guys ive been fooling around with my rgb rebel and i used the exact same epoxy trick grayven used with his rgb rebel mace windu mr saber and it works reallky well...

however i have a question is there a certain type of solder that the rebel reccomends because i seem to have trouble soldering the rgb rebel or keeping it soldered so to speak???