PDA

View Full Version : LED quick question

goldsaberwarrior
07-19-2007, 06:00 PM
Don't know if I posted on this or not before. Anyway what's the difference in the Lux3, K2 and Lux5 LEDs?

Lord Maul
07-19-2007, 06:02 PM
try a search :roll:

i really don't feel like re answering this question

supertrogdor
07-20-2007, 05:31 AM
having made almost 150 posts, it makes me wonder how much you have read. This is not only appearant from pictures issuing a comparison that have been posted here, but also a quick glance at the specs or even the resistor chart could tell you.

Darth Tollo
07-20-2007, 06:59 AM
Don't know if I posted on this or not before. Anyway what's the difference in the Lux3, K2 and Lux5 LEDs?

Brightness and power draw mostly.

goldsaberwarrior
07-20-2007, 01:05 PM
supertrogdor out of my nearly 150 posts I never read anything on the difference because I never thought there was much of one before. That and didn't have enough money to build a saber before. Finally the guardian is coming together. YEAH. :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

987654321a
07-20-2007, 03:21 PM
ill review all of them for ya. but this is the last time.

Lux o
-The Infamous 1 watt LED
-Generates less heat than 3w, k2, and 5w
-Pretty Dim
-Cheap
-Can use a resistor

Lux 3w
-The Easiest to work with
-Heat is not an issue with this, as Tims heatsinks will put up with it
-Almost any driver can run this. Corbins driver, Buckpuck, Ervs Crystal focus v2, Ultras Sound board, Etc
-Brighter than Lux o
-Can use a resistor

Lux 5w
-Heat Still is not an issue with this if used with a heatsink
-Ultras sound board is the only known sound board that can work easily with this, although I think Erv is working on a 5w soundboard. I think so i might be wrong
-Way brighter than 3w
-Can use a resistor

Lux K2
-Generates Far less heat than a 5w
-As Bright as a 5w
-Can use a resistor
-Ultras sound board can be used with this
-Only Problem is that the dome holding in the LED Element is as soft as gel

Lux Rebel
-Generates Less heat than K2
-Brightness in between 3w and 5w (at least for me)
-Can use a resistor
-No known drivers for this

BTW im speaking from experience on all those LEDS, I just recieved my rebel and tested it out and its really bright! for such a small LED its bright!!!!!

Strydur
07-20-2007, 03:41 PM
This is answered pretty good in the beginners section also

http://www.thecustomsabershop.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2168

goldsaberwarrior
07-20-2007, 03:47 PM
I feel like a noob.

Lord Maul
07-20-2007, 06:08 PM
I feel like a noob.

you should spend a couple days just reading the posts. everything will make more sense afterwards

goldsaberwarrior
07-20-2007, 06:21 PM
Okay I suppose I had that one comming. :P

Novastar
07-20-2007, 07:28 PM
Lux 5w
-Heat Still is not an issue with this if used with a heatsink
-Ultras sound board is the only known sound board that can work easily with this, although I think Erv is working on a 5w soundboard. I think so i might be wrong
-Way brighter than 3w
-Can use a resistor

Lux K2
-Generates Far less heat than a 5w
-As Bright as a 5w
-Can use a resistor
-Ultras sound board can be used with this
-Only Problem is that the dome holding in the LED Element is as soft as gel
A lot of this is incorrect:

1. Alex's board is not out yet, Erv's is. Erv's is capable of running a Lux V with no problem at all. In fact, Lux Vs require LESS current than certain K2s (but more voltage).

2. A K2 will not necessarily "generate less heat" than a Lux V or any other LED. Heat has to do with batteries, resistance, how far you drive the LED and all that. An LED does not produce any heat on its own. What you might consider is that the K2 is more efficient than a Lux V if you're comparing lumens/heat/voltage/current ratios.

3. All LEDs can have a resistor wired to them. In fact, you can wire a resistor to all sorts of things... question is--what type and why. Which has to do with your BATTERY/power setup.

4. There is no "problem" with the silicone dome on the K2 LED. Unless you plan on stepping on LEDs, in which case not many will survive... gel, silicone, plastic or otherwise.

You don't want to give readers the wrong impression about Alex's board being out yet... and it's not really fair to Erv's board either since it IS out and DOES handle the same max current output (1.5A or 1500ma).

I am looking forward to Alex's board being available as much as anyone. I pre-ordered one the day it was offered... so... no one can call me biased, either... ;)

Jedi-Loreen
07-20-2007, 07:31 PM
Kinda makes me glad I've been here since the begining of these Forums. I've been reading things as they get posted.

There's a lot here to digest, when you are new.

It's worth it, though.

Novastar
07-20-2007, 07:36 PM
Totally agreed, Lori.

When I first tackled BOP I, I read the ENTIRE TF.N thread before posting a single message, and although it was tough to absorb it all... it makes a difference.

Also, for the record, everyone needs to get on the bandwagon that "3w" and "5w" and all that junk are mis-nomers. Ace helped me to better understand this, but overall--just remember that LEDs are looking for particular CURRENTS. Give them what they want, and then have fun metering the wattage.

You'll find that Lux III's are just as capable of "spitting out" 5 watts or 6 watts or whatever... depending on your BATTERIES and how you're DRIVING the LED.

A Lux III is just what it is--a product name. Sort of like "K2" and "Rebel" and "Imperial" (ok, just kidding on the last one)...

I don't know why there isn't a Lux II or IV... if anyone knows--please enlighten moi! :D

Stinky Bantha
07-20-2007, 07:36 PM
There's a lot here to digest, when you are new.

Tell me about it...

but there is a ton of great information on here and it's worth it as you said.

goldsaberwarrior
07-20-2007, 08:13 PM
I stopped after the first 55 pages of stuff.

987654321a
07-20-2007, 08:45 PM
Totally agreed, Lori.

When I first tackled BOP I, I read the ENTIRE TF.N thread before posting a single message, and although it was tough to absorb it all... it makes a difference.

Also, for the record, everyone needs to get on the bandwagon that "3w" and "5w" and all that junk are mis-nomers. Ace helped me to better understand this, but overall--just remember that LEDs are looking for particular CURRENTS. Give them what they want, and then have fun metering the wattage.

You'll find that Lux III's are just as capable of "spitting out" 5 watts or 6 watts or whatever... depending on your BATTERIES and how you're DRIVING the LED.

A Lux III is just what it is--a product name. Sort of like "K2" and "Rebel" and "Imperial" (ok, just kidding on the last one)...

I don't know why there isn't a Lux II or IV... if anyone knows--please enlighten moi! :D

oh my apologies i didnt know that stuff about it. Well in the description for ultras soundboard it said it can handle 5w but i didnt know ervs could too.

goldsaberwarrior
07-20-2007, 10:43 PM
Can someone give me a link to erv's sound board. If he has a website just give me a link to it please.

Steeljack
07-20-2007, 11:00 PM

Laugh while you can.

Luxdrive is in the process of rolling out stars that are, form-factor-wise, compatible with previous members of the Luxeon line, and can pack up to three Rebels on a single star.

The product name is apparently "Endor Moon".

I swear I am not making this up.

I'm currently waiting for samples. The specs are kind of mind-blowing -- 300 Lumens for the top-end three-Rebel white Endor Moon at 1050 mA total current draw, supposedly -- but making proper use of that much light to drive a saber is going to be tricky until someone starts offering optics that can make a nice, tight beam out of three point sources.

Novastar
07-20-2007, 11:09 PM
Holy cow!

Maybe they ARE paying attention to all of this crazy saber nonsense???!!?

Either that, or Lucas is watching. Ooooohhh! :) That would be kinda neat. The uber-nerd watching all of us padawan nerds, hahahahha!!!