PDA

View Full Version : Grid cut-out templates.Your ideas and methods.

DACOTA
07-18-2007, 07:49 AM
I wanted to know what you guys use to make a template for doing sink tube cut-outs?I would like to see how you guys do it.Post away.Please.

Here are the cut-outs I wanna do.Its the black curved cut on the middle lower saber area and the dark silver shroud around the emitter.

http://i63.photobucket.com/albums/h146/DACOTA007/MHS1.png

Hasid Lafre
07-18-2007, 08:33 AM
Measure and draw it out on a piece of paper. then take a marker of some kind and mark it out, then take a dremel with some various bits like the side cutting ones and a drum sander to get the cut outs the way you want in your template.

Remember not to cut to much out cause sink tubes will flatten when to much is cut out.

Steeljack
07-18-2007, 09:05 AM
I wanted to know what to use to make a template for doing sink tube cut-outs?

For making emitter shrouds and similar accents, I've used some PostScript programs I wrote myself. Print, cut out the shape, tape to sink tube, trace with Sharpie, and Dremel away.

I have programs for elliptical shrouds (think AOTC Anakin/Vader) and Graflex-style recurves (think ROTS Anakin/ANH+ESB Luke).

Doing others wouldn't be very hard at all. I may at some point get off my lazy butt and throw some kind of web wrapper around them so that folks can generate their own.

If you want to draw things freehand on a sheet of paper instead, start with the fact that a 1.5" sink tube has a circumference of 4.7123889804", so you'd want a rectangle that wide to wrap a sink tube with exactly one turn.

DACOTA
07-18-2007, 12:00 PM
Yeah well I knew all that but when I did it,it was really hard to cut,the paper that is, and when I got it all cut out,part of it ripped, so I need somthing different to cut with.Suggestions?

Jedi-Loreen
07-18-2007, 12:25 PM
Cutting board and really sharp X-acto knife or utility knife.

Hasid Lafre
07-18-2007, 01:43 PM
Use construction paper and a hoby knife should be abel to cut it without ruining it.

darthdan
07-18-2007, 05:21 PM
Just take regular paper, wrap it around the tube, tape it so that it stays in shape.

Slide it off the tube.

Fold it so it lays flat.

Using scissors, cut a shallow semicircle from one side.

Slide it back over the tube to see how it looks and trim to your liking.

Then trace outline onto tube with sharpie.

Hasid Lafre
07-18-2007, 07:51 PM
To darth dan you listen save you it can(sorry nova had to steal it from ya).

Yes darth dan does know a good bit about sinktube work, and some good work he does.

DACOTA
07-19-2007, 02:04 PM
Ok I'll just have to try it.Thanks all.

Jedi Ranger
07-19-2007, 04:21 PM
I wrap and secure paper around the sink tube. Then, with the paper still on, draw out a rough outline of my planned cutout, with pencil. Then, I slide the paper off, and clean up the lines. Once the lines are lookin' good, I cut everything out, and slide the new template back on the sink tube. If anything is off, it will show up now. Or, if I don't like how something turned out, I can modify the current template, or start over again.

Once I finalize my template, I trace the lines on the sink tube with a sharpie, remove the template, and begin drilling and dremeling.

DACOTA
07-19-2007, 09:45 PM
Ok sounds good,pretty simple. I'll go do it then get everything powder-coated and anodizedand you will soon see my first mhs saber.

Jedi-Loreen
07-19-2007, 11:04 PM
What parts are you planning to get powder coated?

Keep in mind that if you powder coat anything that will be under a sink tube overlay, then that overlay may no longer fit over the parts. You're adding to the diameter slighty when you have something powder coated.

Hasid Lafre
07-20-2007, 07:16 AM
Yeah but the sinktubes dont really sit very good on the mhs anyway. its alwase been sloppy for me.

DACOTA
07-20-2007, 08:06 AM
Yeah I think a thin coat would be fine cause you can see some space in between the mhs anyways but thanks for the help,I almost missed that point.

Novastar
07-20-2007, 07:41 PM
To darth dan you listen save you it can(sorry nova had to steal it from ya).I stole it from Yoda, so steal away... ;)

DACOTA
07-21-2007, 02:42 PM
Btw as a side note,what do you guys think of the saber design above in my first post?

Stinky Bantha
07-21-2007, 02:43 PM
I think it looks great, although I'm not a fan of the blue on the grip section. It'll be tough to cut the sleeves for it though. Good luck!

DACOTA
07-22-2007, 02:18 PM
I got it all marked just gotta cut now,oh boy.