PDA

View Full Version : Hand Wrappings?

Stinky Bantha
07-12-2007, 05:55 PM
I was just wondering if anyone had any ideas on how to do wrappings like Quinlan Vos has in this picture. I'm not really sure how it would be secured other than tucking the fabric in at the ends. Also if anyone has any ideas for fabric that'd be a great help as well.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/e/ec/10444.jpg/386px-10444.jpg

Doddy
07-12-2007, 08:21 PM
Oddly enough I had been thinking abaout this sort of thing for another costume.

My current theory is to use a fairly stretchy fabric for the wraps, so that it will grip the forearm nad hand fairly well.
Then hand stitch the sections together as discretely as possible so that they don't shift around too much.

Have yet to try it out as my Nihilus costume is taking up most of my time at the moment.

Stinky Bantha
07-12-2007, 08:33 PM
Oddly enough I had been thinking abaout this sort of thing for another costume.

My current theory is to use a fairly stretchy fabric for the wraps, so that it will grip the forearm nad hand fairly well.
Then hand stitch the sections together as discretely as possible so that they don't shift around too much.

Have yet to try it out as my Nihilus costume is taking up most of my time at the moment.

That's not a bad idea. I was actually thinking of stitching one end of it to the sleeves of my tunic, since I'm not going with the sleeveless look.

Mor-El Kesav
07-12-2007, 08:36 PM
That effect can be achieved by using very thing garment leather, about a double shoulder's worth, and a lace cutter. You cut a small hole in the center of the double shoulder and use the lace cutter at maximum width. That should give you a long enough piece of leather lace at about 1 inch width to do both wrists. The single piece you make will have to be cut in half to make two sections say about 6 feet long each.

The wrapping would best be done using a standard figure 8 first aid wrap, anchoring the wrap in the palm of the hand and wrapping upwards towards the elbows. This will stimulate blood flow rather than discourage it as would happen if you wrapped from elbow to hand.

You can get the supplies at any local Tandy Leather / Leather Factory store. They'll even show you how to make the lace you need. Write me if you have any questions and I'll be happy to answer.

Stinky Bantha
07-12-2007, 08:46 PM
Wow! Great advice, thanks a lot. I'll get in touch when I reach that stage in my costume-making process.