PDA

View Full Version : Saber Building Hazards

Spencer_P
07-11-2007, 11:52 AM
The purpose of this thread is to bring various health hazards of saber building to people's attention, as well to provide a place to discuss such hazards.

Many forum members are probably already aware of many of the dangers associated with the construction of our favorite sci-fi weapons, but there may be some hazards yet to be brought to light for some people.

Glue fumes
Don't breath 'em. They tend to cause harm. Also, it's a good idea not to get glue on your hands.

Paint fumes
Try not to breath these either. I don't know how much of the fumes you have to breath in order for them to be really hazardous . . . perhaps someone with more knowledge of paint can expand on this subject. It's also good to avoid getting wet paint on your hands, I believe.

Chrome
Inhaled chrome dust, or at least some types of it, is actually a carcinogen. http://www.epa.gov/ttn/atw/hlthef/chromium.html . Therefore, it would be wise to take proper precautions before sanding the finish off that chromed sinktube to get to the brass beneath. As for myself, I think I'll just start buying brass tubes off Online Metals when I need a gold saber.

Silicone o-rings
I think there are some o-rings out there with little cancer warning labels on their packages. I also heard something about FDA approved silicone being cured with platinum, as opposed to tin. Perhaps the carcinogenic o-rings were cured with tin (which contains lead, a carcinogen).

Polywashers
Same as the o-rings, some of them have cancer warnings on their packages.

If anyone has anything else to add, they're welcome to do so.

Dregan
07-11-2007, 01:16 PM
Solder/iron burns.

Yeaaahhhhhhhh....

Jonitus
07-11-2007, 01:51 PM
I will chime in here, since this falls in my area of professional specialty. When I am not building sabers, I am a safety professional for a large research university, so I am technically proficient enough to speak on the safety aspects of our hobby.

If you want to get down to brass tacks, then each of us should have at minimum, a half-face respirator with HEPA and VOC cartridges installed to keep us from fumes and vapors and dusts. This would entail having a pulmonary function test and a respirator fit test, as well as training on an annual basis.

Simply put, for the time we are exposed to these hazards, there is really little concern. Large manufacturers need to worry about this, not you and I who are spraying a single MHS piece or buffing the nickel finish on a sinktube.

Let's all just use a bit of common sense and not huff paint or vapors for the fun of it, eh? If you're going to paint, do it outside. If you're polishing, make sure you have some fresh air coming in or at least circulate the air. If you're soldering, keep your face out of the fumes and have some fresh air. Don't use screwdrivers like prybars, and be careful in your application of the BFH-9000.

Back to your regularly scheduled programming...

Lord Maul
07-11-2007, 04:27 PM
solder fumes can be dangerous as well

if you use just the standard 60/40% lead/tin solder, then only solder in a well ventilated area (not your bedroom :lol: )

Madcow
07-11-2007, 04:32 PM
This should be a no-brainer for all of us but sadly it's not...

Safety goggles/glasses!!!

Dremmel, drill, saw, hand file, pliers, even solder can lead to a life changing eye injury - don't go there.

MC

ti-el_terall
07-11-2007, 04:37 PM
This should be a no-brainer for all of us but sadly it's not...

Safety goggles/glasses!!!

Dremmel, drill, saw, hand file, pliers, even solder can lead to a life changing eye injury - don't go there.

MC

Cant say this enough! I had a very close call with a broken disk that flew and cut open my eye brow, half an ich closer would have been my eye.

Also, make sure you turn off and unplug tools once your done, I had my dremel plugged in and my cat knocked it down, never seen her run so fast :lol:

Jedi-Loreen
07-11-2007, 05:11 PM
Also, make sure you wash your hands thoroughly after you handle solder. It's not just a breathing hazard, you don't want to ingest any lead by getting it in your mouth from it being on your fingers.

Hasid Lafre
07-11-2007, 05:12 PM
well Iamnot sure if this tool even applys for saber builders but I seen one on tv a guy was using a grinder and it skipted up to his face and took a tooth out.

So becarefull with your tools.

goldsaberwarrior
07-11-2007, 06:57 PM
Be sure the drill bit you're using, if you have to use one, is the right one for your tool. This being so you don't try to drill a hole in a piece of tube and drill bit fly off and well... need I say more. Never heard of that happening but probably can.

Hasid Lafre
07-11-2007, 07:33 PM
Oh and when looking for drill bits besure your using the right bit for the material your using, also look for the bits that have a flat spot on the shank. will help keep it from spinning in the drill and getting fused to the metal your drilling it. Its happened to me when I used to build semi trailers but the bits I had were constintly resharpened when there not the type that can be resharpened for the work I was doing.

So make sure to get a good quality bit set.

Madcow
07-11-2007, 08:00 PM
And don't drill your hand...
Right Count?

xwingband
07-11-2007, 08:02 PM
And don't drill your hand...
Right Count?

lol, that was me. :oops:

I have a scar from that. :?

Madcow
07-11-2007, 09:22 PM
No way... someone else was drilling something while holding it - slipped and drilled his palm - wasn't that Countdown???

MC

xwingband
07-11-2007, 09:30 PM
Not unless I'm not remembering it happening to him... that's definately what I did though.

I was drilling out the hole of a resin E-11 frontcap. I intended to stop and turn it around to finish it... but it broke though like a 1/4" before the back so I was totally shocked.

Drill met hand.

http://www.thecustomsabershop.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=328&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=ouch&start=0

That's the original "ouch!!!" thread. Hand is on page three.

goldsaberwarrior
07-11-2007, 10:34 PM
Ouch, the worst I've had happen is getting a tiny bit of solder on my hand. Still xwing did you really drill your hand?

goldsaberwarrior
07-11-2007, 10:58 PM
Aside from saber building I've had my fair share of mishaps. I know the craziest one is when I was using a bb pistol. Don't know if this counts or not but here it is anyway. Sometimes I have to chase neighbor dogs off with a bb gun because they try to get my cats. Yes they let their dogs run wild unless it's a big dog like a pitbull. I can kinda look over the little dogs that chase my cats because they're rat terriors. Anyway I was shooting at one a few feet away from my grandparents van. I'm sure you know where this is going. I fired a shot a little too close to the back windshield and busted it out. None of the main glass hit me except for a little sliver that was almost impossible to see without the little microscope I was using. I felt something the next day in my finger like it was scratching my skin. Finaly I got out my little microscope and a needle. Dug it out with the needle while looking through the microscope. Sure enough it was a little tiny piece of glass. Needless to say my grandparents and mom where a little disappointed. Nonetheless they got their windshield replaced and there you have it.

Lord Maul
07-11-2007, 11:15 PM
MC, countdown stabbed himself with a screwdriver :wink: :shock:

xwingband
07-12-2007, 06:32 AM
MC, countdown stabbed himself with a screwdriver :wink: :shock:

I was using an inherently dangerous tool... does that give him or me the bonus points? :lol:

Goldsaber, Yup! I certainly did "drill" my hand. Look at the thread I linked.

Moral: Clamp you parts no matter how simple!

Hasid Lafre
07-12-2007, 07:00 AM
Yes clamps work, vices are great but if you got neather use your foot to hold it in place, Your nads are more important that your foot.

Imagen trying to do alot of things thru the day with only one hand. its very tough.

xwingband
07-12-2007, 07:17 AM
Your nads are more important that your foot.

How very true, but not what you meant to say. :lol:

Hasid Lafre
07-12-2007, 07:42 AM

LMAO.

I cant stop laughing......

Man Iam gonna have to look over my words a little more.

Man ok...

still cant stop laughing....

Ok I should be good now.....

LMAO.. it took me about 5 min to type this....Man I am gonna have to look over my words more often.

Dregan
07-12-2007, 07:45 AM

Oh, just slightly...

goldsaberwarrior
07-12-2007, 12:08 PM
Got another good one that happened to me. I collect swords and have mishaps with them every so often. Anyway I was cleaning my scotish claymore sword that has a metal ball on the end of the hilt. I had the sword layed across my lap. 2 seconds later dropped the cloth I was using to clean it on the floor. Bent over to pick up the cloth and the sword slid off my lap and the metal ball of the hilt hit me on the top of the foot. Of course it hurt like heck and the first thing I thought and yelled was "oh **** my foot". Yes I actually yelled that. Thank god the blade didn't hit my foot just the ball. It swelled and bruised. I couldn't wear a shoe for a week and after that it still hurt when you tipped it. For about 2 months after that untill it got better I could wear a shoe but not a sock. Finally after 3 months my foot got better. Still nothing broke or anything. If you look close you can see the outline on my foot where the ball hit it.

Just recently I had another sword mishap. I've got a mini double blade that's only about 42 inches long. It can seperate into two 21 inch mini swords. Sometimes I use swords to cut weeds around the property for the lack of anything better to do or to blow off some steam. Anyway I was out with my cousin cutting weeds about a month ago. Brought the sword down to split a thin branch that wasn't more than 3/4 of an inch in diameter still didn't get a good hit and I had my hand in the wrong spot. I had gripped part of the tsuba not knowing it and the point of the tsuba/handguard stuck me in the hand. It bled for a good 3 min. Put a small dressing on it and the bleeding soon stopped. The sword wasn't as lucky. The hit jarred the tsuba enough to dislodge the little weld it had on it and now I can move the tsuba but can't take it loose which is good. If you guys want some more sword or saber modifying mishaps tell me and I'll post some more of them.

Lord Maul
07-12-2007, 09:46 PM

How very true, but not what you meant to say. :lol:

http://www.gaownersclub.com/forum/images/smilies/icon_roflmfao.gif

TOO FRICKEN FUNNY!!!!!!!!!

i am still laughing about this as i make my post

Jedi-Loreen
07-12-2007, 11:42 PM
You guys are easily amused. :roll: :P

Lord Maul
07-12-2007, 11:48 PM
You guys are easily amused. :roll: :P

it's a guy thing J-Lo :wink: :lol:

Jedi-Loreen
07-13-2007, 12:35 AM
Yes, I know. In more ways than one. :lol:

Hasid Lafre
07-13-2007, 02:16 AM
Ok some are amused by typos more than others. me I like shiny things.

goldsaberwarrior
07-13-2007, 10:06 PM
Here's another sword mishap. No injuries except an ego. Me and my cousin were messing around outside hacking weeds with swords. Yes people we were using real blades. Anyway I tried cutting part of the top off an old rotted tree stump in front of the house. Didn't quite go as planned. This is how I found out my buster sword wasn't built for these things. The blade got stuck in the tree. We tried to get it out by pulling. It didn't go quite as planned. Evidently I broke something in the hilt holding the blade and hilt together. We got the sword out and I tried to hit a more rotten part of the stump. This time it worked. I knocked a chunk of old rotted wood out of it and brought the sword down to split the chunk in two. In about 2 seconds the blade was on the ground and the hilt in my hand. The sword fell apart :shock: . Not what I was expecting to happen. Still not a loss. My cousins dad welded everything back together for me and I learned to make sure your buster sword can be used for things like that. Last I learned to stick to weeds when using that sword.

Jedi-Loreen
07-13-2007, 11:12 PM
Maybe you should stop doing that?

Before you really hurt yourself. Badly.

Or someone else. :shock:

goldsaberwarrior
07-14-2007, 01:36 PM
The blades are stainless so I don't have to worry about much with the swords. Once I get some money I'm gonna buy a pair of metal gauntlets for my hands. That way I can't stick myself on the hilt again. The claymore thing happened a year ago. The bb gun about 7 months ago. The hilt stick and shattering sword about a month or two ago. I don't have any wood daitos or I would use those to practice with. Still the worst that has ever happened is the claymore falling on the foot. Some of you may think I'm crazy and my cousin is crazy but that's something we do when we're not airsofting or I'm building a saber. Picked up my sword hobby about ten years ago when I was six. Still I try to be careful. All though there is still the occasional mishap just like there is with saber building.

Obi-Dar Ke-Gnomie
08-25-2007, 01:09 PM
Also, make sure you wash your hands thoroughly after you handle solder. It's not just a breathing hazard, you don't want to ingest any lead by getting it in your mouth from it being on your fingers.

Has anyone ever tried using the lead free plumbing solder on their electronics? I don't know if it would work without the flux in the core.

xwingband
08-25-2007, 01:18 PM
Yeah, I use it... I can get a nice roll for cheaper. It works just fine. A little harder to work with compared to the little stuff, but it won't harm you.

I really need to get some of the lower heat stuff though because sometimes big solder + large tip just doesn't work well for certain parts.

987654321a
08-25-2007, 02:08 PM
No way... someone else was drilling something while holding it - slipped and drilled his palm - wasn't that Countdown???

MC

That did happen to me, but i was doing something stupid in my earlier days of saber building. I was using my tap handle and a drill bit to try and drill because my impatient self couldnt wait until the next day. So I wound up with a hole in my hand. I also did remove my whole fingernail from a disk sander.

Also, one major hazard is when you are all finished with your lightsaber it can explode. You have to get that crystal just right and perfect.

And as im reading through this, yes Maul, I did unfortunately stab myself with a screw driver.

Novastar
08-25-2007, 06:18 PM
Never seen an exploding lightsaber before.

Although I hear Plasma could be good for that. I wanna duel against X-wing's plasma. Just kidding.

xwingband
08-25-2007, 06:30 PM

Although I hear Plasma could be good for that. I wanna duel against X-wing's plasma. Just kidding.

The glass inner tube might shatter, but no explosion. :P Besides the plasma dealie... that was my first saber. I would duel with it, I've got other saber much better suited for it.

987654321a
08-25-2007, 07:49 PM

I was talking about a real lightsaber :D

goldsaberwarrior
08-26-2007, 11:13 AM
Here's something that could be a hazard. Soldering on your battery holder for example and picking up the board only to realize it's still hot as heck where you just soldered on the holder. Happened to me yesterday.

gundamaniac
09-11-2007, 09:35 AM
I'm scared that you're using essentially display collector's swords for activities...I thought they were actually high-quality swords until you mentioned the buster, and then I knew it was gonna break as you were telling your story.

And yikes...drilling your hand ><. Ouch. The worst that's happened to me was right after dremelling off the end of a thumb-screw that was too long, I, like an idiot, touched the end of the screw. Got a nice welt on my thumb for that one.

goldsaberwarrior
09-11-2007, 02:37 PM
The guy I got the buster from never said that it was held together by that little of a screw. If I had known I would never have used it for stuff like that. The most I ever paid for a sword was actualy the 1st sword I bought, my claymore, which was $50. The rest of the swords were about $35 or under. All are stainless except for that new sword set I bought which are carbon steel. As far as my glass handled sword I don't do much with it since I saw how weak the interior of the hilt was. The green core piece is so weak it ain't funny. I stopped using it for stuff like that. I now have a good sword set of 2 swords that I use for cutting. Plus I know of a sword that can split a 1 inch branch off a tree like nothing. Too bad I can't talk my cousin into a trade of some kind for it. Still I'm going for a good rapier to play around with. Plus since I busted the tsuba on my double I've been looking for a longer double and eventualy I'll get another double and dual wield it with my shorter one. Sticking my hand is the worst I've ever had happen. You would think that since I've been messing with swords for 10 years I would've remembered where my hand was, but it prooves how even the more experienced swordsman can have an accident. I started messing with swords when I was 6 and got my claymore at 10. I'm 16 now so you can do the math.