PDA

View Full Version : MR comparison?

dbraxton9
01-16-2006, 06:40 PM
I am a prop builder and not a collector so I don't know much about these new MR FX sabers. I saw some at the mall today and think they look great but I could not try out the effects as there was no battery. is there a difference from say the Windu to the skywalker to the vader etc as far as how well the sounds and effects work? if i get one I plan on converting it to RGB LED but if there is a difference in the electronics i might get a different one for the sounds.

"Look at me! Judge me by my size do you? And well you do not! For my ally is the force, and a powerful ally it is!

xwingband
01-16-2006, 06:59 PM
I don't own one but I hear many don't like the Windu's sounds not too mention the purple blade is quite disappointing. They characterize the humming sound as too much of a growl. I don't mind either of the sounds on the Anakin or Vader.

I have yet to try a Luke RotJ, but I haven't heard anything bad.

<center>http://www.dewbackwing.com/dewbacks/files/pinupbanner.jpg
www.dewbackwing.com</center>

Wolverine
01-16-2006, 09:18 PM
I have all 4 of them, and although Windu's color doesn't jump out at you the way the other Sabers do, the trade-off is that the hilt is the most elegant and realistic feel (weight) of all the Sabers.
The Anakin, and Vader Sabers over-all look about the same quality, and richness of color wise.
The Luke ROTJ looks quite alot like the movie, but not at the top of the hilt, but the richness of that saber totally reminds me of his in ROTJ, I keep picking that one up, and spinning it, and it does remind me of Luke's in the movie. However, the ROTJ hilt feels like your swinging a pencil around, it's noticably lighter than all the others.
As far as the sounds go they're all kind of similar, but with some subtle differences. Windu's is kinda plain, where Anakin's is a little higher in pitch, and Luke's sounds more primative, like you would expect from a padawan home-made Saber. Vader's has a lot more of a fatter low pitch to it, like "all business".
http://members.aol.com/JEDISITHLORD/Sabers/4Sabers03

http://members.aol.com/JEDISITHLORD/Sabers/4Sabers02

http://members.aol.com/JEDISITHLORD/images/thumbup.gif

headwound
01-31-2006, 12:38 AM
i don't suppose anyone might know of a place online that you may be able to listen to the lightsaber sound effects, do they?

Wolverine
01-31-2006, 12:21 PM
I don't know. Maybe when I get some time, I can post some soundbytes for you.[:)][:D][8D]

NooB1Kenobi
01-31-2006, 01:17 PM
Ok I am confused.. I know Windu's Saber has different sound..
However I have a Vader 2005 Saber and My Brother has a Anakin Saber.. I've never heard any other Anakin Sabers. However The sound on the Vader is different than the Anakin... Has anyone else noticed this? I am refering to the Woosh noise, you know the noise you hear when you swing the saber.. I can hear it clearly in the Vader where as the Anakin Saber is more quiter and harder to hear.. I want to convert them to Luxeons but if his is bad I want to tell him to send it to MR to get replaced... By the way I even tried new batteries.. No difference...
Anyone else notice sound difference between the Vader and Anakin???

BenReilly
01-31-2006, 03:55 PM
A roomate of mine had an anakin saber.....and i got my Vader saber....His sound was alot more clear, where as mine sound like low quality sound bytes. We came to the conclusion that mine has that sound b/c thats how it sounded in the original movies, and as technology has progressed, they've cleaned up the sound and anakin's sounds much better in the newer movies.....The sound difference was most noticable in the hum. We came to this conclusion b/c the MR sabers are advertised as having sound from the movies or something liek that so??????maybe it's for authenticity.

NooB1Kenobi
01-31-2006, 04:07 PM
Weird! My Vader sounds so much better, than the Anakin.. The Anakin sounds like crap... It's almost like it is muffled.. It's not the speaker cause I tried the Vader one in it.. I hardly hear the woosh on the Anakin.. Should I have my brother send it back and get a new one??

BenReilly
01-31-2006, 04:25 PM
I'm not saying my saber sounds crappy or anything like that, it just isn't as crisp as my friends anakin...as far as the swoosh, i really don't remember what his sounded like but man i dunno????

GeluKhanGharr
01-31-2006, 04:49 PM
NooB1, I have 3 Vaders(2005), 2 Anakins(2005), 1 Vader(2002) and 1 Anakin(2002).
The 2005 Vader has 4 sounds: p-u, p-d, whoosh and clash. The sounds are crisp, low pitched and clear.
The 2002 Vader has the same sounds only they are not as sharp. They sound somehow....dirty, as in having static added

The 2002 Anakin is the EP2 version and it comes with the EL blade. The sounds are higher pitched and there seems to be no resonance box allotted for the speaker. The volume is low and the clash sensor hard to trigger. I don't have it handy right now (I am at work and the sabers are at home) to tell you exactly what sounds it puts out, but if I remember correctly it they are the same as the 2002 Vader.

The 2005 Anakin is an entirely different matter. It is loud and ...mean, but not as sharp as its Vader counterpart. It has p-u, p-d, 2 different whooshes and 3 or 4 different clash sounds - as in saber clash or blaster deflect. As I mentioned, there is a certain roughness to the "voice" of this saber.

To summarize, if sharpness and clarity is what you seek, then 2005 Vader should be your choice. If you are more interested in a module with a larger variety of sounds, all movie originated and you don’t mind a bit of roughness, then 2005 Anakin should be your choice.

I have a Mace I took apart and I should mention I did not care for the sound of it at all. I have never gotten my hands on the fairly new Luke, so I have no data there. Also keep in mind the state of the batteries is also a factor in how a saber sounds.

Born of Sith, seduced by the light.
http://www.saloncatalina.com/images/signature.jpg

NooB1Kenobi
01-31-2006, 05:17 PM
My anakin 2005 sounds nothing like the movie.. I notice the different clashes but the woosh is hard to hear or notice a difference over the normal hum of it... It is by far not as definitve as the Vader 2005.. The woosh on the anakin alnmost sounds like the pitch changed on the hum.. These are all brand new batteries I used too... I checked the batteries out first.. The whole K.I.S.S rule... I wish I had a sound clip of another anakin to compare too... Even the hum is not as loud as vaders...

NooB1Kenobi
01-31-2006, 05:19 PM
My anakin 2005 sounds nothing like the movie.. I notice the different clashes but the woosh is hard to hear or notice a difference over the normal hum of it... It is by far not as definitve as the Vader 2005.. The woosh on the anakin alnmost sounds like the pitch changed on the hum.. These are all brand new batteries I used too... I checked the batteries out first.. The whole K.I.S.S rule... I wish I had a sound clip of another anakin to compare too... Even the hum is not as loud as vaders...

suit_man
01-31-2006, 05:58 PM
technically, the woosh is a pitch change in the hum, but i know what you mean. also, the 2002 anakin doesn't have any swing sounds, it has 3 or 4 clash sounds and power up and power down.

i am a nerd, if you don't like it, i will cut you with my lightsaber

Artifical_Lynx
01-31-2006, 07:32 PM
Yeah I personally like the Luke ROTJ. It's light weight and easy to move around. The Anakin ROTS is heavier but the chrome makes it slippery if you have sweaty hands along with the Vader ESB. I have yet to get in the Mail the Luke ESB 2004. I'm going back and trying to find the ones all the way up to 2002. But sound comparisons The Anakin is a bit loud for the most part I think. Same goes with the Luke ROTJ but at least it sounds different like if it's covered by a can or something. Vader ESB is not as loud, but only has one clash sound. I can live with that. I can't wait for the Obi Wan's ROTS to come out. But there is one I really hope that MR creates in the future Obi Wan's ANH that would be awesome I'm a old school fan. And I don't like the Idea of the first three episodes to come out now either though in a way if it wasn't for them we wouldn't be here talking about lightsabers either right everyone.

" I have failed you Anakin I have Failed you "

NooB1Kenobi
01-31-2006, 07:40 PM
Ugghhhh I think the Anakin my brother has dies have sound issues.... EWveryone seems to say the Anakin 2005 is better than the vader 2005... My vader sounds a lot better, louder in the woosh sound and the sound between woosh and hum in distinguishable... Where as the sound on tha anakin is more garbled and hard to distinguish between the hum and woosh..... This is with new batteries.. .[V]

Nightwing
01-31-2006, 07:41 PM
Um, Obi-wan's ANH saber is the same as the ROTS one. A few of the props had the same coloring as the ROTS saber (more gold-copper), and a few were more like the MR version of Obi-Wan's MR saber (more black).
You could theoretically just paint the Obi-Wan saber black and add some weathering.

dbraxton9
01-31-2006, 09:11 PM
could we distill this to a comparison list like the one below that Gelu posted on another thread about hasbros?

"Old (1995) Luke - crappy sound, motion, flash on clash. The clash sensor is ridiculously large - NOT a good board for custom hilts
Anakin AOTC - crappy sound, no motion, flash
Anakin ROTS - great sound, no motion, no flash, color change(2 switcheable outputs, but the switch is board mounted and a hell to install, so the switcheable outputs "feature" is virtually useless. Still, a good board for customs
Yoda training - crappy all the way - yoda talk switch, low volume, crappy sound, flash, no motion, break really fast
Obi ROTS - great sound, no motion, flash on clash, but also the motor output - good to use with Corbin's C&L feature
Obi AOTC - the old models and the new, repackaged 8 dollar ones - I found them to be the same. Crappy sound, no motion, but NO FLASH on clash.
Old Vader ROTJ - The best board in my opinion - great sounds, motion sensor, no flash on clash. Almost impossible to find, except packaged with the helmet at $50
Windu/Dooku/QGonn/generic - all use the same board - great sound, motion sensor, but they all have that stupid flashing on clash.
Stay away from the "build-your-own". My son broke 2 in one week. He's yet to break any of the other ones, so it's not him. They just up and quit."
if you could mention the total number of sounds each model makes and the quality, that would be awesome.
This would be very helpful for people like me who have 1 MR and nothing to compare it to. thanks.

"Size matters not. Look at me! Judge me by my size do you? And well you should not! For my ally is the force, and a powerful ally it is!"

tetmatek
01-31-2006, 09:31 PM
There were 7 different MR Fx sabers ot there(8 if you want to include Luke ROTJ twice as 1 was EL) All of them are cool but there are trade off as Wolverine stated. One of my favorites is the Anakin ep II. I like the chrome MPP emiter and will be posting pics of my LED conv. It splits from the center is the bad news. I like the Vader ANH and just did a RGB conversion on that one utilizing the 6 batteries really allows you to put powrer where you want. the sounds are cool on the ANH model but switch location sucks. it's near the emitter. All models are convertble as always if you got the right tools. electronics is no sweat it's the size, switch location,etc that are the challenge. You need an effective blade holder and LED or EL set up that fits while retaining those Movie Looks. You can always put the 3 battery stuff in the 6 batt. units and remove the factory batt pack separate it ftom the speaker to really get some freedom. I have successfully done this for a Mod hilt. Don't be scared to cut wires and put things where ya want them(within reason of course). The Luke ESB is probably the bulkiest and my least fav. if ya want one of those build a GRAFLEX REPLICA or find the real thing. All my Luke ESB models have one problem or another but mostly switch failure. I'd stay away from that FX for customizing. I f ya want one though i got a few i'd part with.

http://img181.imageshack.us/img181/3213/sig35jo.jpg

Artifical_Lynx
01-31-2006, 10:23 PM
Awesome I didn't you could do that. So once when they do come out is there a way where I can just paint it out or something or should I just leave the hilt outside for a year lol I'm just kidding on that part. When the Obi Wan come's out I'll be asking about that one again.

NooB1Kenobi
01-31-2006, 11:44 PM
I'd say my brothers Anakin episode 3 2005 sounds more like the Windu episode 3 2005 when it comes to the hum and woosh.. Yes it's that bad it's so hard to distinguish the hum and woosh noise... Where as the vaders sound more distinctive.... I wish there was some sound clip I could listen too.... I'm thinking about having him send the Anakin back for a new one...

dbraxton9
02-01-2006, 12:24 PM
noob1:
I have the MR 2005 anakin, and its hum and woosh are very distinct, clear and loud. you probably got a busted one there.
Anyone got an opinion on the ep3 vader? they are the ones that you can get daamaged on ebay for $30.
Tetmatek:
what condition are your esb lukes and how much do you want for them? i just care about hilt cosmetics and working sounds.

"Size matters not. Look at me! Judge me by my size do you? And well you should not! For my ally is the force, and a powerful ally it is!"

suit_man
02-01-2006, 03:28 PM
db, there is no ep III vader, the 2005 model vader is from ep V. i have one and i think it sounds really good. it is pretty loud and has good swing effects, but i wish it had more than one clash sound.

dbraxton9
02-01-2006, 05:07 PM
yes, you are right. it is a 2005 ep V vader, sorry.

Nightwing
02-01-2006, 05:49 PM
The ROTS Vader hilt looks pretty cool, though.
http://masterreplicas.com/customer/starwars/starwars_product_detail.php?pid=8434
I'm not sure if it's a "previous version" of the trilogy hilt, or if it's an "updated version", like the Anakin ROTS saber. I think it may be the latter.

suit_man
02-01-2006, 08:10 PM
i don't like the rots vader hilt at all. there are a ton of changes, and not changes for the better, in my opinion. i don't mind the ep III anakin hilt, but i still wish that it had been left alone.

dbraxton9
02-01-2006, 09:56 PM
well, i meant how does it sound? the "one at the mall" that I keep talking about is a 2005 vader so i know how it feels and looks. that one is WAY messed up from being on display and sounds awful, but i attribute that to the near-dead batteries which i am sure are the same cheap ones they have by the counter at spencer's. i agree the switch location on it is a dumb choice, though.

suit_man
02-01-2006, 10:20 PM
look up a few posts, db. i told talked about the sound there. do you mean the switch on the rots vader hilt or on the ep V force fx? i love the switch on the force fx vader. it is well hidden and not real east to switch off in a duel.

dbraxton9
02-01-2006, 10:23 PM
the 2005 ep v vader switch is awkward.