PDA

View Full Version : Erv's reworked graflex

Steeljack
06-30-2007, 12:49 PM
here is my graflex ANH reworked...

That's just silly. And by "silly" I mean "a labor obviously composed of equal parts love, inventiveness, and skill."

Chapeau, as my father's been known to say.

I see that two apparent tantalum capacitors on the tail end of my CF 2.0 have been supplanted by what appear to be one electrolytic and one ceramic. Is that a standard feature of 2.5, or just a peculiarity of your personal module?

Also, I presume that the "gyroscope stabilizer" is the rumbler. What is "crystal focus trimming"?

xwingband
06-30-2007, 01:22 PM
I deleted two other posts... but didn't have the heart to delete this one since it had genuine questions.

Please remember the rules that we want to keep the stickied gallery posts free of comments. Gawking only! :P

Lord Maul
07-03-2007, 10:15 PM
great work as always erv!

inspired by yoda at fx sabers graflex no doubt 8)

erv
07-10-2007, 12:05 PM
yop yop, I didn't noticed that master xwing created a topic about that saber, for sure I'll be glad to detail a few things !!!
Lord Maul : right on the money, I've been inpired by yoda @force-fx. And from the visual dictionnary as well, I actually bought a graflex in the idea to make a cutaway view but... that was 1 year ago, no time for the project... And I prefered reworking on a functionning saber rather than on a display props, so that I could show it but duel with it too !

I tested the 2 tantallum on this board, exact, I wanted to make sure that their ESR was not a problem with the amount of juice taken by the luxeon@1.5A, AND that was the opportunity of the century : the stabilization bar above was a bit thick so I needed to find a low profile solution. Those are expensive capacitors, but I think in a close future I'll put tantallum on any CF V2.xx, and I'll provide spare parts to people who would like to change the stock capacitors.

The gyroscope stabilizer is a invention of mine, I like the way every part / props is detailed and explained in the visual dictionnary, so I invented functions and reasons to some of the parts I've used. Yes, it's the resonnator / rumbling motor :lol:

The crystal focus "trimming" is a... trimmer ! (no joke). A trimmer is a multi turn (25) adjustable resistor or potentiometer. I use that now to adjust / fine tune the speed of the rumbling motor. No resistor to calculate, and it can be adjusted by the user from a shy vibration to a noisy and annoying rumbling.

I hope I uncover a bit of the mysteries laying in this saber !!
Erv'