PDA

View Full Version : MR replacement motion sensors

darthdan
06-26-2007, 12:49 PM
anybody have a source?

Hasid Lafre
06-26-2007, 01:16 PM
The motion or the clash?

The motion is on the board the clash is on the board of some models and others its on the positive leads

darthdan
06-26-2007, 06:36 PM
motion

Hasid Lafre
06-26-2007, 06:48 PM
hummmmm....

not sure about this one

Anyone got an idea?

vortextwist
06-26-2007, 06:57 PM
try this

http://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&sl=ko&u=http://www.sample.co.kr/yusan/index.htm&sa=X&oi=translate&resnum=1&ct=result&prev=/search%3Fq%3Dyusan%2Bsw-200%26hl%3Den%26rls%3DDELA,DELA:2006-07,DELA:en

Darth Morbius
08-18-2007, 04:46 PM
The Part number is SW-18020P It is a spring vibration switch.

They are available in HUGE quantities. The smallest being 200 Units (1 unit is a 1 Kilogram BAG FULL...That's a lot of them!) From overseas distributors. Mostly out of Hong Kong, and the United Arab Emirates.

You can find these sensors in kids shoes (The kind that light up and flash), but the sensors are soldered to a controller board that is dipped in acrylic, and extremely difficult to remove without destroying the sensor. I have only been able to remove a small handful successfully, and only half of them worked right. :roll:

There are similar vibration switches that are available in those flashing bouncy balls that you get out of novelty machines and dollar stores. They are of a bit different design but can be made to work. I'll post pics in a little while of the ones I am referring to. 8)

Novastar
08-20-2007, 01:16 PM
Exactly. These are essentially springs that (when sprung/springing???) complete a circuit, or open a circuit when the spring comes into contact with a metal ring around it.

As you probably know, you could construct your own pretty easily if you had to do so.

LAN-ED-TUL
08-21-2007, 05:27 AM
i had tore apart a old luke V2 style toy saber and it had that lil spring on a pole thing in there. something similar to what your talkin about.

Novastar
08-21-2007, 11:48 AM
Exactly. They are patented by some dude/company called "Yusan" for the mostpart. Yusan vibration sensor. Pretty useful I'd guess, but nothing more than a spring.

Difference between a spring sensor and an accelerometer is basically digital vs. analog.

Spring sensor is either 0 or 1, on or off...
Accel sensor can have a whole myriad of feedback--a range. More analog.

Tekka
11-04-2007, 02:53 PM
would it be possible to replace the stock motion sensor on a FX Vader with a accelerometer? i'm not digging the tilt sensors

Novastar
11-04-2007, 10:50 PM
Possibly. But... without finding a way to re-program--you wouldn't get much of a benefit.

For those joining us, here's the thing:

MR motion/vibration sensors:
These are essentially "digital", and register 0 or 1... on or off. There is NO in between. You either swung or you didn't, you either clashed, or you didn't.

Accelerometers:
In almost all cases, these are "analog", and register a range of data. Depends on the accelerometer for the "granularity" of the range. You could detect slow, medium, fast motions. Better control, more realistic.

If you want the more realistic boards, I believe Erv's is the only one thus far that really takes advantage of the accelerometer. I have to experiment more with the Ultrasound board, but it is not programmable, so however it works, that's how it stays.

Tekka
11-06-2007, 03:28 AM
the reason i hate the tilt is because it's pretty un realistic and lags. when u change the angle of the sword or rotate the handle just slightly, it produces a slashing sound which is annoying.

I was wondering if i could get a sensor that would trigger once i hit a certain velocity with my swing, therefore slow motions wouldn't register since the senor has already been preset.

Darth Securis
11-10-2009, 12:46 PM
I am looking for a local source for this clash sensor. I have found similar items on the web.

Not sure what kind of g-force activation the original had. Or even if that matters...but if you get one that is too sensitive then I imagine that it would make contact when simply swinging the lightsaber...one that is not sensitive enough would not even make contact when dueling. Does anyone have an opinion on this?

Edit - links removed now that TCSS carries this product

Darth Securis
11-10-2009, 02:16 PM
I already heard back from one of them. Here is his email:

Hi Mike,
Thanks for your inquiry. Our MOQ is 15 units. 15 X $8.21 = $123.15 plus shipping, handling and any applicable custom or bank fees.
Please find the attached quotes and order form for your future use.
Best, Jim

Jim Downey
Business Development

might as well go tear into a Hasbro instead of this one. But this one is probably better. I have some other emails out so I'll keep you all posted on the responses.

Jay-gon Jinn
11-10-2009, 02:35 PM
you could also save yourself the trouble, and just get them from the TCSS store:
http://www.thecustomsabershop.com/Clash-Sensor-P485.aspx

Darth Securis
11-10-2009, 02:50 PM
you could also save yourself the trouble, and just get them from the TCSS store:
http://www.thecustomsabershop.com/Clash-Sensor-P485.aspx

Damn!... I did not see those before.. I have been searching the forum and didn't see anything about that. The worst part about this is that I just received my order from TCSS. So now I have everything I need except the clash sensor. I have even made posts about it before. I wish someone would have spoken up before.

Thanks Jay-gon for the info.

Now I have to wait on this.

FenderBender
11-10-2009, 02:55 PM
Don't feel too bad, they are new to the shop in the last week. For future reference though, always check the Store News section in the forums. It always has info on new released items and future stuff;)

Jay-gon Jinn
11-10-2009, 04:06 PM
I just saw your post today, so I couldn't tell you any sooner...sorry! :)

Kant Lavar
11-10-2009, 09:42 PM
Actually, Tim never mentioned this by name. I think this fell under the one where he just said "added a bunch of stuff" or similar.

But still, I must admit, I am eying this and wondering how well it would work soldered into the clash terminals of a Corbin board...

FenderBender
11-10-2009, 10:44 PM
Actually, Tim never mentioned this by name. I think this fell under the one where he just said "added a bunch of stuff" or similar.

But still, I must admit, I am eying this and wondering how well it would work soldered into the clash terminals of a Corbin board...

...erm.......plead the 5th:rolleyes:

Novastar
11-10-2009, 10:59 PM
Darth Securis... please also remove the links in your posts that point to other companies related to products in conflict with what Tim sells... it's just Tim's policies, and we need to respect them.

The clash sensor Tim now offers is certainly pretty new though--so it's not a surprise you missed it! :) That's ok! Now you know.

Eco
11-11-2009, 04:42 PM
And, it's worth noting, that it's almost the exact same sensor as the MR boards.

When I de-soldered the sensor from the MR board, I got to see the sensor in it's stock form, which, aside from a color difference, is precisely the same as Tim's.

xl97
11-11-2009, 07:02 PM
should be same..

same part#..... no?

SW-18020P

seems like Tim is selling them at a 'steal' of a price....compared to the previousl link just posted. ;)

Kant Lavar
11-11-2009, 07:52 PM
Tim also probably put in an order for a couple hundred of them. That whole "bulk rate" thing, you know? :p

xl97
11-11-2009, 08:02 PM
guess that means he can just offer you guys a lower bottom line of that stuff then. :)

Darth Securis
11-13-2009, 02:01 PM
Yeah, I didn't realize it was so new before. No hard feelings though. I removed the links from my previous posts now that TCSS has this product.

I am awaiting it as we speak. I will be using it on a MR FX conversion to replace the missing original clash sensor. I'll let you all know what I think about it.

xl97
11-13-2009, 06:48 PM
Yeah, I didn't realize it was so new before. No hard feelings though. I removed the links from my previous posts now that TCSS has this product.

I am awaiting it as we speak. I will be using it on a MR FX conversion to replace the missing original clash sensor. I'll let you all know what I think about it.

Im assuming the results will be great since its the same exact part you'll be putting back on. :)

Jay-gon Jinn
11-13-2009, 07:53 PM
They work just fine...I've already used some. ;)

xl97
11-13-2009, 09:54 PM
good news! :)

Novastar
11-14-2009, 12:07 AM
Yeah, I didn't realize it was so new before. No hard feelings though. I removed the links from my previous posts now that TCSS has this product. Certainly no hard feelings! :) Just trying to keep the peace amongst the galaxy, lol!! :)

But yes, I imagine they should work just fine.

One thing of note (while we're here, I figure... why not)... for anyone planning to tie an older Corbin board WITH an FX... AND use Corbin's clash detection... you *MUST* have two separate clash sensors hooked up... if you do not--it WILL fry the board, because they work in opposition...

One board is "normally open" and the closing creates the event...
The other is "normally closed" and the OPENING creates the event...

Sure, sure... I know it's a bit off-topic... but--it's one of those "dangerous" things that can be done which will kill a lot of components all in a flash... and not really from anything you could do "wrong"... just... unknowingly. Ya feel me?

As Gravy might say: "OHHHHHHH.... that was a total.... AWWWW... dismemberment of MANY body parts!!!"

LOL :D

Kant Lavar
11-14-2009, 02:14 AM
And thus another flaw in my plan for my next attempt at wiring an MR board is brought to my attention. *scribbles notes*

Darth Securis
11-27-2009, 08:58 AM
Ok, I just wired up a Vader MR FX board with the new TCSS replacement clash sensor and it is acting weird. It only plays one clash sound. I have not heard the Vader board before but my Anakin board plays like 5 different clash sounds. Does anyone have an explanation for this?

Jedi-Loreen
11-27-2009, 10:42 AM
Because the Sith boards (Vader and Maul, not sure about the Dooku) only have one clash sound. So it's working fine. A clash sensor is just a switch, anyway.

That's why people call that the "monkey gong" board.

Darth Securis
11-27-2009, 07:48 PM
Wow I didnt know that it only had one clash sound... that sucks. A rip off compaired to my Anakin board. Thanks for the info.

Novastar
11-30-2009, 12:37 AM
To be clear, and have the right information for those who read this in the future:

* "Jedi" / "good guy" FX boards ALL have 3 clash sounds. They are played at random of course. There are no other versions of FX boards that have >3 clash sounds. At the present time (late 2009).

* "Sith" / "bad guy" FX boards... ugh. Don't even get me STARTED. For whatever jackass reason, they have a SINGLE "clash" sound (which is actually a powerup sound, technically), and it is irritating as all get up. You have no idea the irritation level of this board until you've heard it NON-STOP for 60 minutes or more. It makes me want to throw up. Six times. I'd rather hear the screaming of my own infant child on fire for an hour. (!) I'm sorry. I apologize. That was horrible... it's just... yes, the sith board SUCKS as far as I'm concerned. It borders on frying an egg on my skull while listening to such repetitive nonsense, and I'd avoid it at all costs.

WHY Master Replicas made a board with 3 clash sounds... and then a board that appears IDENTICAL... with a SINGLE clash sound... is beyond me. Someone might say "there must be some logical explanation", but no. NO. It sucks. Some retard jacked it up, and history is now written.

All I can say is... whoever finalized the decision to "let it go" and allow the board to have that single PATHETIC AND MIND-NUMBING clash sound... his/her balls should be strung up and hung in the sistine chapel with putrid incense burning 24/7 to remind all who visit such a monument... to pray for forgiveness for that person's lost soul. It's a sin, I tell you... a SIN.

:mrgreen:

Matt Thorn
11-30-2009, 03:40 AM
Maybe I'm reading too much into your post, Novastar, but I get the vague impression you're not overly fond of the Sith soundboard.

Well, we have the Ultrasound, anyway. Now if only Erv would mass-produce the Crystal Focus... :rolleyes: (No comment on the SaberSound...for the moment, anyway.)

I'm just really pleased to have these clash and swing sensors available. A primitive clash sensor can be salvaged from any old Hasbro toy, but the motion sensor on the Force Action toys is no substitute for a proper motion sensor, IMHO.

Jedi-Loreen
11-30-2009, 04:30 AM
The Mace board I bought from Corbin a few years ago (still unused for a new saber :roll:) seems to have 4 clash sound, definitely not just 3.

Novastar
11-30-2009, 05:12 AM
Interesting, Lori! I never knew that... you should post video/audio of that. I've never heard >3 clash sounds from ANY of the FX boards I've owned. Or... I don't know, am I high? Were they ALL 4 clash sounds? Whatever the case... I always thought 100% of the "jedi" boards were essentially programmed the same, although a pitch shift was present from board to board as near as I could tell.

In any case... in MY thinking... sith board = stay the heck away... jedi board = a LOT less annoying. :rolleyes:

Jedi-Loreen
11-30-2009, 06:31 PM
I think I must have missed one, when I tried my Mace board last night, and DS is right, there are 5 clash sounds.

I just tried my Do-Clo birthday saber, which also has an FX Jedi board, and it definitely has 5 clash sounds.

I don't have a video camera, and no good way to record it.

Darth Securis
12-01-2009, 08:10 AM
Yeah, novastar you almost had me convinced I was hearing things... ;) I am pretty sure my 05 Anakin has 5 clash sounds 2 sound similar but are different.

FenderBender
12-01-2009, 09:20 AM
The sith boards are a great font, deep hum cool swings and power on/off. But yeah, the "monkey gong" is annoying.

Novastar
12-02-2009, 09:13 AM
I think I must have missed one, when I tried my Mace board last night, and DS is right, there are 5 clash sounds.

I just tried my Do-Clo birthday saber, which also has an FX Jedi board, and it definitely has 5 clash sounds.

I don't have a video camera, and no good way to record it.
Well that CINCHES it then... my rants about how ridiculously inane and galacticly stupid (sorry for the "A Few Good Men" reference) the sith board is are completely justified and vindicated, lol.

FIVE?!?!?!? FIVE vs. ... ... one?!?!? ONE?!?!??!

That'd be like having Erv make 100 copies of Crystal Focus, only to also request that he cripple 50 of the bloody things to only allow 2 clashes, 2 swings, and 3 sound banks. All for the same price too! Pure genius, right? What a joke. lol

Sith board? = = = Garbage piece of sith. :roll: