PDA

View Full Version : Drilling into hilt sections

MattB
06-25-2007, 10:14 AM
Hi everyone,

Being as this is my first post, i apologise if its in the wrong section - I did think about putting it in the LED hilts section, but as it regards the MHS I thought it would be best here.

Im building my first LED saber, using a MHS hilt (with blade and LED etc from TCSS) and a Crystal Focus board. Now, im still waiting for everything to be shipped so ive got some time to plan this out.

Since im using the CF board with rechargable batteries, in addition to the existing switch hole I will be needing at least two extra, one for the aux button and another for the recharge port. I firstly considered asking Tim to machine the holes for me, but a) I haven't decided/seen the sizes of the buttons/ports, and b) I need to see where theres room in relation to battery pack etc.

So, can anyone give me any tips as to drilling in my own holes? Ive no access to a drill press, so atm im favouring going to a local machine shop and asking nicely if they can drill a couple of holes for me, but if anyone has any great tips/advice it would be most welcome (and save me a little time/money!)

Thanks

Matt

Hasid Lafre
06-25-2007, 11:25 AM
drill and a drill bit

djbordie
06-25-2007, 11:27 AM
if you can do it yourself lol, machine shop will charge stupid amounts for easy work...just because they can.

So if you have to go to the machine shop, MAKE sure you have it all organized, everything you want done:
Sizes
Thread sizes
positioning, etc

that way it will go smooth at the machine shop...i work in one, and i know when people come in and dont have a clue at what they want, its very frusterating for us and thats when we charge more money for the organization of the job...

its probably best if you find someone you know to do it for ya obviously...
if you lived in canada i would do it for ya for 6 beer lol

MattB
06-25-2007, 11:49 AM
LOL at the drill and drill bit - im not THAT dumb!

Thanks for the replies though.

The last time i drilled into a sinktube, it wasn't pretty - hence why i was considering a machine shop - i would just mark out the holes (size and position wise) and get them to drill. (Sods law, at my last work i would have had access to one!). If its going to be silly money then i'll do it myself. Im not bad with tools, its just i have a tendancy to rush - not something i want to do with this!.

However, ive been thinking about this, and have come to the conclusion that if i can get the saber clamped properly and secure the drill (ill pilot hole with a dremel then switch to a larger drill) it will be fine.

Matt

vortextwist
06-25-2007, 12:10 PM
just use a center punch and the bit should stay put, but start out small then work you way to the size you need.

djbordie
06-25-2007, 12:23 PM
cheers to that, i always use a punch...works soo well so the bit doesnt run away lol

vortextwist
06-25-2007, 12:47 PM
the one I use is a spring loaded one, a great for one hand if you don't own a vice. works awsome for those pesky pins in the mr's.

xwingband
06-25-2007, 12:54 PM
I wouldn't worry about the sinktube experience to show what it's like for the MHS. Sinktubes are a pain... I want a step bit so bad.

The other suggestions are good and it seems like you have a plan. A machineshop will just laugh at you... it's wasted money.

MattB
06-25-2007, 01:46 PM
AHHH!!! Centerpunch! Why do i always forget that valuable piece of equipment!

Have got some spring loaded ones at work as well...shame im off for 3 weeks!

Thanks again for the tips - the 'drill bit running away' is exactly the thing that happened last time - even though i had the tube clamped, the smallest drillbit and tape over the spot. The centerpunch shold work wonders. Think im going to have a practice first though.

Just an afterthought - how 'thick' are the hilts?

My CF board ships tomorrow...hope the TCSS shipment gets off soon!

xwingband
06-25-2007, 02:57 PM
I remember the OD is 1.45" for sure. The ID is a little less than 1.25".

MattB
06-25-2007, 04:10 PM
Thanks Xwingband, much appriciated.

Dregan
06-26-2007, 06:08 AM
~$60 buys an entry-level drill press. Probably be less that what you'll pay at a machine shop.

Harbor Freight (http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=44505) is your friend...

MattB
06-26-2007, 08:11 AM
Err...Im im the UK, so they would be more like a distant cousin you never see... :lol: