PDA

View Full Version : ultra sound update?

djbordie
06-25-2007, 06:00 AM
hey, sorry to be a pest, just getting a little anxious...
been almost 3 weeksn since the last update...when they were supposed to be here a week ago, just curious if there are any updates.

thanks

Strydur
06-25-2007, 09:31 AM
He says any day now. So lets hope they ship by the end of the week. I would love to get these orders filled as much as you all would love to get your sound boards.

djbordie
06-25-2007, 09:50 AM
yes indeed thanks

SilentBob501
06-25-2007, 12:02 PM
When will these be made available for new purchase? I guess I missed the pre-order window.

Novastar
06-25-2007, 07:30 PM
Arg. Poor Alex. :(

It can't be fun what he's having to go through to get this project into full force. Grrr. :evil:

djbordie
07-05-2007, 08:42 AM
Any words on the ultrasound?

sorry to be impatient again, i have no patience...lol

im more or less have my Mr Mace & Graflex and Mhs waiting for parts on this ultra order...its killin me

Jay-gon Jinn
07-05-2007, 09:30 AM
You can look here for the latest on the Ultrasound board:
http://www.fx-sabers.com/forum/index.php?topic=6144.825

Steeljack
07-05-2007, 10:49 PM
sorry to be impatient again, i have no patience...

You will learn patience. :D

djbordie
07-06-2007, 05:31 AM
haha..... :shock:

Novastar
07-07-2007, 12:14 AM
Learn patience? Ok, patience, yeah, yeah yeah patience--how long will that take? :)

Sorry, it's a line from an old favorite skit of mine. Boot to the Head anyone? :D

Steeljack
07-07-2007, 10:17 AM
Sorry, it's a line from an old favorite skit of mine. Boot to the Head anyone? :D

"Ed Gruberman, you fail to grasp Tai Quan Leap. Approach me that you might see." (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BvSJwtaqCeY)

I have loved that skit for ages; the World of Warcraft rendition is a nice touch.

Novastar
07-08-2007, 10:04 PM
HAHAHAHHA you rock, I can't believe you found Ed Gruberman over the youtube...

my friends and I used to do that skit all the time for shows in high school.

Not to mention my "debut" with doing choreography was doing some staged versions of three scenes from The Princess Bride. Wow, memories, hahahah

fawnheart2000
07-20-2007, 11:24 AM
Ultra posted this today on fx-sabers

The boards will be shipped to me Monday, July 23rd. Yes, 2007 for all you jokers out there

YAY hopefully this means I'll have it be aug. 3.

Hasid Lafre
07-20-2007, 11:37 AM
I remember that origional skit but dont remember when I seen/heard it.

But this does bring back some memories.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J5kGUW6M7W0

lifesaber
07-20-2007, 04:07 PM
(The boards will be shipped to me Monday, July 23rd. Yes, 2007 for all you jokers out there.) that was the post at fx sabers from alex at ultra!!!! :D

Novastar
07-20-2007, 07:42 PM
Oh, capital!

:)

goldsaberwarrior
07-20-2007, 08:07 PM
Hope he made enough so I can ordre a few since I missed the pre-order.

Do-Clo
07-20-2007, 09:40 PM
Hope he made enough so I can ordre a few since I missed the pre-order.

I think you will have to wait on the next run of sound boards, I believe these are all sold

killphil
07-20-2007, 10:13 PM
Yeah, they are, unless someone backs out. An Overlord with sound was recently made avail due to customer backing out(of course it was immedietly filled), but anything's possible....

Got my fingers crossed.

goldsaberwarrior
07-20-2007, 10:38 PM
I'm still hopeful. Anyway I hope he makes another run very fast. I need two of them. Anyway if I can't get any even when he eventually makes another run, there's another board I'll check out.

Novastar
07-20-2007, 11:06 PM
There is always Erv's board. It's programmable too.

But yes, naturally I want to hear and try both boards.

goldsaberwarrior
07-20-2007, 11:45 PM
got a link

Lord Maul
07-20-2007, 11:46 PM
got a link

try looking in erv's sig and/or profile. a lot of these things can be found with a little looking GSW

Darth Epohon
07-27-2007, 04:30 AM
Hey guys. This is my first post... I've been lurking for a couple weeks since I found y'alls sight, which is AWESOME, btw...

Anyway... I'm working on my first lightsaber, just about ready to order my first MHS, and I was looking at getting the Ultrasound also, although it appears I'll have to wait until more become available. I have three questions.

1. Is there a time frame on when the next set of them will be available.
2. Is there a "wait list" I can put my name on to make sure I get in on the next batch.
3. Since I'll be getting the rest of my lightsaber parts before I get the Ultrasound board, can I go ahead and put the saber together and then just add the Ultrasound in once I get it, or would it be a better idea to wait until I have the entire electronics package (hilt kit & Ultrasound) and wire it all at once. I know it probably makes sense to wait until I have everything, but once I get those MHS pieces, I'll probably be so anxious...

Thanks in advance for y'alls help. I'm so happy I found this awesome sight... Some of the custom work I've seen on here that y'all do is AMAZING!

erv
07-27-2007, 05:41 AM
Welcome, Darth Epohon !
Building your first saber is really exiting, reminds me good memories !
Erv'

Jay-gon Jinn
07-27-2007, 11:46 AM
There will be another run of Ultrboards, according to Ultra. He would like a month or so for the first run of boards to get "shaken down" to be sure there aren't any issues to correct before another run. You can always add sound to a hilt later, I do it all the time!

Novastar
07-28-2007, 01:20 AM
"Don't rush a saber, sonny... ya rush a saber, ya get rotten sabers..."

--Miracle Max

:D

Jay-gon Jinn
07-28-2007, 11:06 AM
That's only too true, Novastar....too true... :)

Novastar
08-02-2007, 01:20 PM
Does anyone know if these have shipped to customers yet?

I misunderstood the "release" of them for last week or so... that was the designer shipping them to ULTRA... not ultra to us, hehehe.

Lord Maul
08-02-2007, 01:28 PM
they have been shipped to the wholesale guys (yoda and tim), once they get them, there will be a unified release of them all.

we'll have them next week

Novastar
08-02-2007, 01:31 PM
heheh... "we'll have them next week"...

Poor Ultra... this is almost a YEAR after the board being announced! Almost. Still... I'd want to *KILL* the company that did the designing. lol

vortextwist
08-02-2007, 03:04 PM
here is a link of an announcement from ultra that kit posted at force fx

http://forcefx.proboards43.com/index.cgi?board=lux&action=display&thread=1186086809

goldsaberwarrior
08-02-2007, 06:09 PM
FINALY. I need two of them. By the way tell ultra to use a faster company next time. Still YEAH been needing them forever. Next on my list is the hilt parts.

xwingband
08-02-2007, 07:13 PM
It's only going to pre-orders. You aren't going to get any unfortunately.

goldsaberwarrior
08-02-2007, 07:42 PM
I didn't say when I was going to get them. :wink: Just means I'll be that much closer to getting some. :D

Kit Fisto
08-17-2007, 01:57 AM
I CAN`T WAIT TILL I GET MY STEVE!!
Already added to a Vader ANH converted to a Ani EP2 style with a blue Lux 5 .
I will bless everyone with a video right away!!

Jedi-Loreen
08-17-2007, 09:48 AM
What's a STEVE? :?

vortextwist
08-17-2007, 12:32 PM
it's actually

s.t.e.v.e

stands for something. it's in the other ultrasound thread.

Lord Maul
08-17-2007, 02:31 PM
What's a STEVE? :?

it's the nickname for ultrasound. kinda like Buttered Toast for Crystal Focus

S.T.E.V.E. Sound Transferring Electronic Velocity Effects system

vortextwist
08-17-2007, 02:56 PM
it should be "hook-up your board and have the tabs break off" soundboard

h.y.b.a.h.t.b.o :evil:

Lord Maul
08-17-2007, 03:12 PM
it should be "hook-up your board and have the tabs break off" soundboard

h.y.b.a.h.t.b.o :evil:

you can't blame ultra for that, it was user error. the copper pads are really delicate, and you manhandled them so they went byby

vortextwist
08-17-2007, 03:26 PM
user error? misshandled my ass. I'm not stupid maul I know how to handle a frickin board.

Lord Maul
08-17-2007, 03:29 PM
If these are anything like the ones i've worked with before, then the pads fall off very easily. I meant no offense

vortextwist
08-17-2007, 03:30 PM
well maul that did really piss me off. I couldn't have handled that board with more care then I did. if they are that delicate why not have a diff design for them?

Lord Maul
08-17-2007, 03:33 PM
It is the nature of the beast. the copper traces are EXTREMELY thin in order to keep the chip small. that means that it takes very little prodding with a solder iron (or the like) to tear off one of the pads.

vortextwist
08-17-2007, 03:36 PM
I also never said it was ultra's fault either. just to be clear.

goldsaberwarrior
08-18-2007, 01:57 AM
Guys it aint worth arguing over. Either way it broke. Everything isn't perfect.

Darth Morbius
08-18-2007, 04:31 PM
Not to stir the pot but points have been made on both sides.

1. Solder tabs on small electronic traces can be delicate, I have had my fair share of tabs pop off of Luxeon stars, and they were not handled roughly at all.

2. The traces are REALLY close together on the board. It's no one's fault. Just a QC issue, that eventually will pop up from time to time.

3. I feel for vortextwist on this. That has to be very VERY frustrating, but Ultra will most likely handle it, so it really shouldn't be too much of an issue. :wink:

Jay-gon Jinn
08-18-2007, 09:11 PM
From the sounds of it, it may have been better to have holes there instead of pads, like the wires on the MR and Hasbro boards.

vortextwist
08-18-2007, 09:13 PM
From the sounds of it, it may have been better to have holes there instead of pads, like the wires on the MR and Hasbro boards.

ditto. wonder why they didn't?

Jedi-Loreen
08-18-2007, 09:41 PM
Soldering on pads like I imagine those must look like, that are very close together, can be pretty difficult, even for a professional solder person like I am. Even using tiny solder tips and doing it under a microscope.

Just a little too much heat for a little too long, and they come up off the board. I have to wonder about the design of those, too.

Darth Morbius
08-18-2007, 10:48 PM
I too I am wondering why the US was designed with pads instead of via holes to solder to. It my be because it's a multi layer board that has another circuit on another layer that cannot be contacted or a short would result.

I think that's why they got delayed and had to be remade to begin with. :|

Lord Maul
08-18-2007, 10:50 PM
using holes would of been better, but then again, that's just an improvement ultra will make (hopefully) on the next run.

goldsaberwarrior
08-18-2007, 11:38 PM
Holes would be much better I agree. That's the only reason I didn't fry any more hasbros than I did. Heck if they're that easy to break off I'll just find a way to "erv up" my sabers and not worry about a steve in my saber. Still would like to use a steve eventually and an erv. Right now I'm just using corbin drivers.

Hasid Lafre
08-18-2007, 11:39 PM
I want an erv driver. its tiny as hell.

LAN-ED-TUL
08-19-2007, 01:28 AM
those tabs are a pain, theyre way too close, took me over ahour to get mine soldered on. only issue i have is sometimes a swing registers as a hit in the sounds.

other than that mine works great in the vader saber refit.

i totally agree, there should of been holes for wires to go thru, then solder them like a hasbro board is. would make soldering these up a breeze.

Jay-gon Jinn
08-19-2007, 08:47 AM
It would probably still be difficult to solder to because like J-Lo said, they would still be close together, but the trade off is the pads wou;dn't come off. And I guess there's a reason it uses pads that we just don't know of, like Darth Morbius suggests.

So Lan, do you have any pictures or vids of that saber?! We have yet to see a full in-depth review of the board!

pockets
08-19-2007, 08:51 AM
yeah even yodas review on fx sabers didnt have a video with sound, and to me the sound is the most important part of a soundboard

vortextwist
08-19-2007, 09:03 AM
yup,

Lord Maul
08-19-2007, 11:00 AM
soldering with holes that are really close together is a breeze. I did it in school for a IC 555 socket without one bridge.

goldsaberwarrior
08-19-2007, 12:28 PM
Holes would keep more boards from getting ruined and haveing to get something done, as in vortex's case. Would be easier for everyone.

Darth Morbius
08-19-2007, 03:52 PM
What about pin connectors on the next run? I side insertion molex connector added at the manufacturer and a male plug sullpied with each board might be a good idea. :?

Make it plug and play. That seems a little more user friendly, and wouldn't drive costs up all that much.

Sure, it would take some of the fun out of it for the DIY crowd, but in the long run, there would be less damaged boards running around.

Hasid Lafre
08-19-2007, 06:05 PM
No matter what a DIY'er will still want some easyness into there projects.

vortextwist
08-20-2007, 03:03 PM
got word from ultra today, said he got the board working and prewired it and is on it's way to me now. Soon My Qui-Gon will be complete.

LAN-ED-TUL
08-20-2007, 03:23 PM
that good news, glad he got it fixed.

no i really cant do a video, cuz i dont have the HD space to store it, for transfer to youtube.

but i can give a review of what i went through to get mine setup in my vader saber refit.

just give me a couple days to have time to write it up. it wont be real long, cuz really the only hard parts were soldering the tabs, and one issue with the sensor registering swings as hits quite a bit. the pulse mode is great, the sounds are way better than any i heard yet. better than a MR FX.

Novastar
09-01-2007, 01:16 AM
Lan... although I haven't wired up my Ultraboard yet, you might be certain your board is really "held down" into the saber hilt very snugly... in order to avoid "false clashes" that are really swings.

If the board is floating around in there even a tiny bit, the vibration will be more likely to cause a clash vs. a swing.

An MR board would do something similar, as would a Plecter under similar circumstances.

pockets
09-01-2007, 06:50 AM
yeah i have that exact same problem, i'm still working on a way so it wont have any give but still be accessible.

Novastar
09-01-2007, 12:36 PM
A little foam would work, or even enough electrical tape around the sides to "pad" it up so it sits snug within whatever body you are using. It might protect the board from shorting out to metal bodies as well--depending.

I had a thought about those little "velcro tabs" as well, especially for lighter parts such as feedback motors, boards, wiring areas where you want to avoid "pull & tug" on connections, etc. It's better than glue, since glue can be a mess and/or a bit too permanent.

pockets
09-01-2007, 02:05 PM
right now i have it wrapped in thin foam but its too cushy to make it not react

LAN-ED-TUL
09-01-2007, 10:17 PM
Lan... although I haven't wired up my Ultraboard yet, you might be certain your board is really "held down" into the saber hilt very snugly... in order to avoid "false clashes" that are really swings.

If the board is floating around in there even a tiny bit, the vibration will be more likely to cause a clash vs. a swing.

An MR board would do something similar, as would a Plecter under similar circumstances.

the way i did mine, its dead center of the heiland handle, in a cradle i made from a trophy column. it aint moving, no slop, no flop, wont move unless i pull it out. its rock solid mounted in there.

the sensor is maybe just too sensitive, and makes the mis registers of hits for swings.

goldsaberwarrior
09-02-2007, 12:05 AM
Say speaking of which did ultra say anything new about when he'll make more of his board?

Novastar
09-02-2007, 02:17 AM
the way i did mine, its dead center of the heiland handle, in a cradle i made from a trophy column. it aint moving, no slop, no flop, wont move unless i pull it out. its rock solid mounted in there.

the sensor is maybe just too sensitive, and makes the mis registers of hits for swings.Lan, that is a bummer... :( I will wire mine up when I get a chance and let you know if I end up with similar problems.

As it is, I didn't receive the directions for what lead is for what (LED +, -, battery, etc.), but I'll find out where the directions are somewhere... :)

LAN-ED-TUL
09-02-2007, 03:53 AM
directions werent in mine either, i got them off here on the pdf from the store listing. it shows a blowup of the neg and pos terminals across the end.

others have said the same thing on thiers registering hits instead of swings, i bet yours will too. no matter what you do, cuz that sensors im guessing too sensitive, i dont see any ways foir a adjustment, so i guess i will just live with it. its not too bad, but does irritae a lil when you swing slightly and you get a clash instead of a swoosh sound.

i think its the drawback to using one single sensor for all motion instead of a clash and a motion seperately.

Novastar
09-02-2007, 05:22 AM
You may be right about the Ultraboard--I'll soon find out.

Using accelerometers can be tricky, but it is all in the testing and calibration/sensitivity. I can't say I know how many axis (ax-eeezzz, hehehh) are in Erv's, Alex's, Hyper's, etc. -- but I believe they each must have more than 1.

Erv's board allows for custom sensitivity tweaks--which I've already played with for my own sabers. I tend to like more sensitivity to clashes, but my v1.2 CF sabers don't register a clash unless the swing is *extremely* severe.

Jay-gon Jinn
09-02-2007, 10:29 AM
Ultra has stated over at F/X-Sabers that there has been a programming change to lessen the sensitivity of the "soft hits" on the clash/motion sensor on the boards he still has....also they have disabled the auto shut-off feature. These changes were made after he sent the first batch of boards out to TCSS, unfortunately.

Jedi-Loreen
09-02-2007, 12:35 PM
This it one of the reasons it can pay to wait on buying a brand new product. Gives the first run people the chance to work the bugs out, for an even better product later.

Novastar
09-02-2007, 01:39 PM
Not necessarily... I bought the Ultraboard to help support Alex as soon as I saw it. It's another reason why I have two v1.2 CF drivers. It wasn't about having it first, it was about supporting the small businesses that have also supported me when I needed help with BOP.

Besides... I'm not in a rush to make sabers with sound and all the fixins'... you know what Miracle Max says, "Don't rush a saber, sonny... ya rush a saber, ya get rotten sabers..."... :)

Jay-gon Jinn
09-04-2007, 07:39 AM
The re-worked boards are actually part of the first run of the boards as well, they just hadn't been shipped out yet.

Novastar
09-04-2007, 04:53 PM
Good to know... besides, I'm sure Alex would upgrade the board if I sent it to him. As we all know--they may get overwhelmed at times, but Alex and the team are stellar with support, knowledge... and passion for all things saber!

I don't think I'd be derailing TOO much by saying... hey everyone, check it OUT! Ultrasabers were used by Team SideSwipe!

http://youtube.com/watch?v=fpivevfZgmQ

Now THIS is a Force to be reckoned with... :)

Jay-gon Jinn
09-20-2007, 08:43 AM
I didn't see a topicc for Ultrasound reviews, and didn't want to start another, so I'll put it here. I have a two part video review on youtube:

Ultrasound Review-Part 1 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=43UhUI6IsWk)

Ultrasound Review-Part 2 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i_zIYF9dX70)

Kamurah
10-01-2007, 04:33 PM
Any news when the UltraSounds will be back in stock?

I have some greenbacks burning holes and saberhilts that are WAAAAy to silent! :)

xwingband
10-01-2007, 08:29 PM
Nope, he's really just gathering interest... It will probably be some time before he makes another run. :?

Jay-gon Jinn
10-01-2007, 09:13 PM
I think the board needs a bit more tweaking before a second run should be done, as well.

Novastar
10-02-2007, 12:33 AM
Come to think of it, my gosh, I haven't even had the time to wire it up! I should really do that. I want the Ultraboard to be used in BOP III by a character.

Although, I'm *almost* finished with wiring up one of the two Plecter v2.61s... it is sounding fan-bloody-tastic, too!

But back to Ultra's... I really really like how small it is! Great for tight spaces!!! Sweet... :)

LAN-ED-TUL
10-02-2007, 05:41 AM
well, i for one want another ultra board soon as he gets them done. i plan on puttin one in a MHS hilt i am goin to make pretty soon.

selling off the damages NG/Porty lid for 200, to a guy in the armed forces that can repair it easily himself, so i will have cash to spend towards my new hilt i wanna make. i only had 2 issues with the first board, and everyone knows 1 of them, and thats the tabs, we need holes instead to stick wires through and then solder down, and the other was the occasional hit for a swing registering thing.

but i like the board nonetheless, and want another one asap.

gman666
10-02-2007, 06:51 PM
I am on the wait list for an Overlord. They gave a rough time frame of 8 weeks. Ultra said if the new US boards are not done by the time the hilts are that we could send them back in when they are. I would say 8+/- weeks until he gets more US in.

Thanks!

Greg

Darth Morbius
10-09-2007, 08:25 AM
Alex has made a few comments over at FX-Sabers about the possibility of a few updates on the next run (which should be commencing soon).

Adjustable Flicker speed (confirmed)
Adjustable clash and swing sensitivity (possible)

So far this is all the information that I have currently available, as I haven't had much contact from Alex in a week or so.

vortextwist
10-09-2007, 02:01 PM
Alex has made a few comments over at FX-Sabers about the possibility of a few updates on the next run (which should be commencing soon).

Adjustable Flicker speed (confirmed)
Adjustable clash and swing sensitivity (possible)

So far this is all the information that I have currently available, as I haven't had much contact from Alex in a week or so.
those 2 I think are going to be a must, for me to get another.

LAN-ED-TUL
10-09-2007, 03:19 PM
those 2 things and if he also done the holes instead of solder tabs, would be super.

i would buy another one as they are now, but if those 3 things are coming about, im down for another anyways. my new hilt im doing now will need one of the ultraboards when theyre done.

i will have to check the FX sabers site.

valeon
10-10-2007, 05:26 PM
I know this is gonna sound stupid, but where do I go to get on the waiting list? I've been dying to get a STEVE or some type of soundboard for my fiancee's saber.

Jay-gon Jinn
10-10-2007, 09:01 PM
Sign up at F/X-Sabers.com forums (http://www.fx-sabers.com/forum/index.php), then go to this thread:
http://www.fx-sabers.com/forum/index.php?topic=8979.new;boardseen#new

Or just wait until Tim (Strydur) gets some and buy from here.

Novastar
12-16-2007, 10:11 PM
I just cruised by Ultra's site (I just look every now and then to see what's new)...

So... apparently the "Bane" sabers *ALL* have defective v1 sound boards???

What the heck is going on out there? One thing is for certain, if you're looking to make a PCB...

NEVER NEVER NEVER *EVER* have it built by the same company that does them. Forget it. No more excuses from them--it's not so much Ultra's fault as it may be their fault...

I think it's "makeyourownchip.com"

More like makeyourownSHIP.com. I think you know what I am alluding to. As always, I feel bad for Ultra.